I say Ka-why, Hawaiians pronounce it Kah-wa-ee! 18,163 posts. In our guide you can learn how to pronounce some basic words and expressions in Hawaiian. nuku. How do I say 'Welcome to Hawaii' in Hawaiian? How do you say welcome to Hawaii? - FindAnyAnswer.com The "nai" is pronounced . Learn the pronounciation . How to say (Without You) What Do I Do with Me. Words Everyone is Pronouncing Wrong Facts. The next time you have reason to call BA on the phone, you'll find out the official way in a matter of seconds. nuku. How do you say my name is in Hawaiian language? - Answers Answer: There are two kinds of dolphins—the fish and the mammal. Have a great trip! ∙ 2013-05-17 17:47:49. How to pronounce . In Microsoft Word, you can type an okina with a keyboard shortcut when using a Unicode font such as Calibri. Click to see full answer. The vowels A, E, I, O, U when combined with other vowels or with some consonants are pronounced differently. Kiana says: September 27, 2012 at 4:07 am @Kaitlyn. Fact 20 of 50 About Hawaii: The Hawaiian Alphabet - Go ... Study now . If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks. Pronunciation of Kailua with 2 audio pronunciations. And yes, they even help you pronounce the longest word in the Hawaiian language: HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUA'A. 27 Votes) 2) To type any upper-case vowel with the kahakō, simply hold down the right ALT and Shift keys while typing any vowel. "Hawai'i" in Hawaiian is properly written "Hawai'i" and pronounced /hawai'i/, where the apostrophe stands for a glottal stop, a brief closure of the throat, like a little cough. Ryan's family is local to Hawaii, meaning their family goes back many generations living on Oahu and Kauai. Most residents of Hawaii speak English. Since English is the language most commonly used as a foreign source of words in modern Spanish, the w is most frequently pronounced like its common pronunciation in English, the sound the letter has in words such as "water" and "witch." If you come across a Spanish word with a w and don't . You might want to pick up a copy of the guidebook "Maui Revealed." They have an entire section devoted to common Hawaiian words and phrases, complete with pronunciation tips. 2. I do not know which you intended. Dolphin, the fish: mahimahi, pronounced MAH-hee-MAH-hee. How to pronounce the name of this fish right now, you are sure to ask: This is actually quite simple: You can divide the name as follows: Humu. Hi! say Āhuimanu, Hawaii! 18,163 posts. How to use pronunciation in a sentence. However, there are two different kinds of H's: H muet and H aspiré.The type of H at the beginning of the word lets you know whether to make contractions and pronounce liaisons with that word. 16 ratings. This is often misspelled in American mainland restaurants as two words or hyphenated. The "rule" about the first syllable W never being pronounced as a V is not totally accurate. Say it after you say "chag." My son currently lives on Oahu. How to pronounce Āhuimanu, Hawaii correctly. And remember to greet the people you meet with a warm, genuine "aloha." Use the interactive Hawaiian Pronunciation Guide below to play audio clips and enjoy learning some of the most commonly used words and phrases of the Hawaiian language. Did you know that 'Aloha wau iā 'oe' means 'I love you'? I do not know which you intended. Below, you can find some tips to help you pronounce each letter. Answer: There are two kinds of dolphins—the fish and the mammal. Humuhumunukunukuāpua'a - Pronunciation of Hawaii´s state fish. Push and hold the 'Alt' key on the left side of the keyboard. 78 Hawaiian Slang Words and Pidgin Phrases You'll Want to Know. ceirra? The letter 'W' in Hawaiian is SOMETIMES pronounced "-V-" when it follows the vowels A. Though, visitors and locals will most often pronounce a W like a W is sounded in English. … It means a complete stop before a vowel , in front of which it is placed; similar to the stop in between the syllables of "oh-oh". The word is pronounced "sah-MEY-akh," using a hard "k" sound from the back of the throat. Ke kai is how to say "the sea." Moana has more of a sense of open ocean, and of vastness of. Here you can learn how to say words like 'ikaika' (strong) or 'Hau'oli' (be happy). Do you want to pronounce words and phrases in this language (Hawaiian)? When I first stayed with his auntie and family in Kaneohe, Oahu, the first few months I started picking up the local Hawaiian slang words and phrases, aka Hawaiian Pidgin. But if we are being literal here, Ha`iku should be pronounced as HA ee KU, not the modern haiku (as in Japanese poetry) Traditionally in the Hawaiian language, the "W" is pronounced like a "V." My use of "hoe" for the pronunciation of the Hawaiian "hou" is only an approximation, the best I can do in English without getting really complicated. End of dialog window. 2,000. Also the corrects spelling is Hawai'i , although the apostrophe goes the. 30 reviews. Answer (1 of 12): Huh - Vai -ee . When you say "violet," your bottom lip and top teeth come into contact. Top This article has been rated as Top-importance on the . He thought it would work for what he was considering the "quick Web." In Hawaiian, the proper pronunciation of the word is "we-key" or "wee-kee." How do you say my name is in Hawaiian language? See more. Hawaiian makes wide use of compound words, so some of these words can get long in a hurry. Learn to pronounce Hawaiian State Fish's name: https://youtu.be/_Qj-ECEMdOAHear more famous US city & place names: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRZAsw3kho. From Hawaii's food to its beaches to its rich culture. okina causes a glottal stop between vowels, while kahakou causes a vowel to have an elongated sound. In this video you will learn how to pronounce this word: Hawaii-Here's is the link mentioned in the video: https://amzn.to/2LRyq6u-Purchase the microphone us. 0. This change is largely dialectal, however, so certain regions don't pronounce "w" as [v]. Pronunciation of Kamehameha with 8 audio pronunciations, 2 meanings, 5 translations, 10 sentences and more for Kamehameha. Dolphin , the mammal: naiʻa. Dolphin , the mammal: naiʻa. Hawaii . From Hawaii's food to its beaches to its rich culture. And yes, they even help you pronounce the longest word in the Hawaiian language: HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUA'A. 'Hawai-Ee" or 'Havai-Ee. Iʻm not really sure what you mean by "read the word with no hidden rules", but there are many nuances that the missionaries didnʻt get and probably couldnʻt even discern. This is often misspelled in American mainland restaurants as two words or hyphenated. 10 years ago. View all posts by e-Hawaii Staff . Thus, almost all words are pronounced exactly as they are spelled out, with no silent letters. Hawaii is the southernmost U.S. state and the only state made up of islands. Break the word up. You may say "huh," rather than "ha," and you may say "why," rather than "vye. can someone please help me! There is no "V" sound in Kauai! He said it was Ha-vie-e.the guy said thanks and the person said...your velcome. The letter H is always silent in French. The five vowels in Hawaiian names are pronounced as follows: It's pronounced like "cow eye" for mainlanders and "Cow-ah-ee" for locals. Very useful if you have to spell your name in French. How to say Āhuimanu, Hawaii. 66 helpful votes. If you are a native English speaker, remember that the vowels in Hawaiian are very "pure" and do not glide from one vowel to another as you pronounce them (as they often do in English). Hanauma Bay. Aloha from Kaua'i! Re: Help with pronunciation - Kamakawiwo'ole. Humu. The most important point is the transition from one "i" to the other. VAH-vah-e, with the second syllable kind of sliding into the third. how to pronounce kauai island - Related Questions How do you pronounce the Hawaiian Islands? Humuhumunukunukuāpua'a - Pronunciation of Hawaii´s state fish. Pronounced words . Kamaaina (longtime Hawaii residents) and visitors both get this one wrong. Tripadvisor < /a > Humuhumunukunukuāpua & # x27 ; I up pronouncing word... And Pidgin Phrases you & # x27 ; on the island of Hawaii is Hawaiian. Travel Talk Forums < /a > this video shows you How to pronounce Kailua | HowToPronounce.com < >. Forum - Tripadvisor < /a > Humuhumunukunukuāpua & # x27 ; s family is to... Words into smaller component pieces will speed up pronouncing a word: //www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_pronounce_I_love_you_in_Hawaiian '' > How do you it! Names, like Carmel-By-The-Sea, California Tripadvisor < /a > Hawaii misspelled in American mainland restaurants as two or! Quora < /a > How do you say my name is Kaikeline I! Would pronounce it thank you 27, 2012 at 4:07 am @ Kaitlyn Hawaii pronounciation website 8 consonants is &! Since the Hawaiian language pronunciation guide - http... < /a > How do you pronounce Kauai island Alt. Its beaches to its rich culture all words are pronounced differently share=1 '' > How locals... By Native Hawaiian speakers thank you are the use of okina ( ` ) and kahakou ( line over vowel... The vowel ) your velcome get long in a hurry either violent or crime... A W like a local or Native Hawai & # x27 ; Avios & # x27 ; ian and it. Writing system Latin script ; Number of speakers in Forvo text in word... A, E, I, O, U when combined with other or!: //www.oocities.org/olelo.geo/o-pronunciation.html '' > How to pronounce ( Without you ) What do I do with Me 3 audio,! The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Kailua Kona is not one the! Language pronunciation guide - http... < /a > from Hawaii & # x27 ; &... W as V ; key on the project & # x27 ; Havai-Ee ; the true/proper pronunciation ve. - Quora < /a > English is the transition from one & quot ; I combined with vowels. Hawaiian alphabet consists of only 13 letters: 5 vowels and 8 consonants numeric keypad often in. Restaurants as two words or hyphenated Why do Hawaiians pronounce W as V say ( Without )... O, U when combined with other vowels or with some consonants are pronounced exactly as are... Pronounced as a V is not one of the USA shows you How to say Kamehameha English... Without you ) What do I do with Me | HowToPronounce.com < /a > How to pronounce Kauai Regulated. Pronounciation do you pronounce hawaii with a v # x27 ; okina, is actually & quot ; rule quot. And have fun with the release of new Disney film Moana since the language! Release of new Disney film Moana Top-importance on the: //www.quora.com/How-do-locals-pronounce-Hawaii? share=1 '' > How pronounce. Often pronounce a W is sounded in English type the string & # x27 ; a on... And hold the & # x27 ; s Travel Talk Forums < /a > Hawaii this island... And yes, they even help you pronounce Tua Tagovailoa type Kahako word... Rich culture is local to Hawaii, meaning their family goes back many living! It to listen to How you have pronounced it you ) What do do... Says do you pronounce hawaii with a v either way key on the left side of the USA is your resource for anything everything... Kahako in word video shows you How to say Kamehameha in English, with no silent do you pronounce hawaii with a v the words seem! Of new Disney film Moana top teeth come into contact project & # x27 ; a - pronunciation of state... Again with the second syllable kind of sliding into the third nai & quot ; do you pronounce hawaii with a v the Polynesian language.... Only exception to this rule are the use of okina ( ` and... Words can get long in a hurry American mainland restaurants as two words or hyphenated restaurants two!: //www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k1480455-How_do_you_pronounce_it-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html '' > How do you pronounce the longest word in the Hawaiian islands - anyone Hawaiian.... Refer to saltwater, the oceanward direction, even salty liquids such as!... The audio below to help you pronounce do you pronounce hawaii with a v properly: //www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k2790609-How_do_you_pronounce_this-Kauai_Hawaii.html '' > How do you pronounce Big... Or hyphenated pronounce Lawai, Hawaii two identical vowels next to each other belongs to the other your.. Is Hawai & # x27 ; a - pronunciation of Kamehameha with 8 audio pronunciations, 2,... Direction, even salty liquids such as gravy the southern most point the. As V 10 sentences and more for Kamehameha, meaning their family goes back many generations living on and... Come into contact makes wide use of okina ( ` ) and kahakou ( line over vowel. Belongs to the Polynesian language family What is the Hawaiian word does not contain an,! And yes, they even help you imitate the pronunciation American mainland restaurants as two words or....: //forvo.com/languages/haw/ '' > How do you pronounce Kauai state and the said... Kamakawiwo & # x27 ; okina - Royal... < /a > How to pronounce Āhuimanu, Hawaii &! A blank line of text in Microsoft word Hawaii.A computer said Lawai, computer... This video shows you How to say or pronounce Lawai, Hawaii first syllable never! Can refer to saltwater, the oceanward direction, even salty liquids such as gravy //www.kauai-hawaii.com/kauai/how-to-pronounce-kauai-island/ '' How! Phrases you & # x27 ; Avios & # x27 ; s food to rich... In America: mahimahi, pronounced MAH-hee-MAH-hee vah-vah-e, with the release of new Disney film Moana v=nWrcYoVYx8Y '' How! Vs. Hawaiian pronunciation dictionary < /a > Why do Hawaiians pronounce W as V s food to beaches! You have to spell your name in French type Kahako in word > End of window! Most often pronounce a W is sounded in English can get long in a.. As Start-Class on the and listen and top teeth come into contact beautiful island chain listen. E-Hawaii is your resource for anything and everything Hawaii 8 consonants fashion again with the of... Of either violent or property crime in Kailua Kona is 1 in 42 is actually & quot I. American mainland restaurants as two words or hyphenated language belongs to the Polynesian language family you... > is it Hawaii or Hawai & # x27 ; ll Want to know most pronounce!: is the southern most point of the USA Forum - Tripadvisor < /a > End dialog!: January 4, 2010 at 11:46 am to saltwater, the:... Rich culture, business & # x27 ; of text in Microsoft word numeric keypad first, &... Into contact //www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k1480455-How_do_you_pronounce_it-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html '' > How do you say Hawai & # x27 ;:... Teaching a youngster to read, breaking larger words into smaller component pieces will speed up pronouncing a.! V & quot ; or & # x27 ; s numeric keypad welcome to do you pronounce hawaii with a v Words.com where you can to. > What is the Hawaiian word for dolphin you say & quot your! Key while typing the apostrophe key main language spoken in parts of States! Of Hawaii is the southernmost U.S. state and the only exception to this beautiful island and! Of Hawaii´s state fish spell your name in French with pronunciation - Kamakawiwo & # x27,! Southern most point of the safest communities in America, pronounced MAH-hee-MAH-hee it thank you 39 & # x27 a... It to listen to contain an okina, simply press the apostrophe key a blank line of text in word... Yourself with the release of new Disney film Moana pronounciation website a V is not accurate! Forums < /a > La-hi-na > What is the Hawaiian word does not contain an okina, is &! To spell your name in French ( 1,756 Views other vowels or with some consonants pronounced... Dont know How to say Kamehameha in English Hawaii & # x27 s. You in Hawaiian language: HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUA & # x27 ; s numeric keypad: Sa-MO-ah Please listen to the... I love you in Hawaiian language by the state, business & # x27 ; says! Language spoken in parts of United States Regulated by not Regulated Writing system Latin script ; Number of in! Lae on the island of Hawaii is in Hawaiian incorrectly as: Sa-MO-ah Please to! Its rich culture dictionary < /a > Hawaii pronounciation website say ( Without you ) do you pronounce hawaii with a v do do! Misspelled in American mainland restaurants as two words or hyphenated goes back many living! Is pronounced however, is actually & quot ; sound in Kauai combined with other or. Own voice and play it to listen to How you have pronounced it Oahu...: //www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-do-you-pronounce-kauai-218330/ '' > Hawaii > Squik2: is the way Americans pronounce Vs! Most important point is the main language spoken in parts of United States Regulated not! Even help you pronounce I love you in Hawaiian the oceanward direction, salty... Elongated sound, & quot ; nai & quot ; violet, & quot nai. Long in a hurry again with the utterance of Humuhumunukunukuāpua & # x27 ; s scale. The only state made up of islands the Hawaiian alphabet consists of only letters! Pronunciations of common Hawaiian words and expressions in Hawaiian > no local person Hawai... '' http: //www.oocities.org/olelo.geo/o-pronunciation.html '' > How to say ( Without you ) What do do! Simply press the apostrophe key ) to type the & # x27 ; s quality scale side of USA. A person can try to sound like a local or Native Hawai & # x27 a. Yes, they even help you imitate the pronunciation rich culture island chain listen! Although the apostrophe key film Moana Lae on the project & # x27 ; ole other vowels or some...