These are quiet, well-mannered and continue to prove a well-balanced solution for consistent on-road driving with the occasional off-road driving on light to mild terrain. These were great tires both on and off-road up until about 20k-30k miles. Both the Michelin Defender LTX M/S & Michelin LTX M/S2 are highway use all-seasons built for light SUV/truck duty, specifically for wet and snow traction. The biggest downside of this tire is probably price. Cooper STT Pro Mud Terrain Tires (295/75R17) This style of tire is truly designed to claw at the rock, mud, snow - or any other severe terrain you may find yourself on. I would say this is a middle of the road performer on the street. That way, youll be able to enjoy all of the benefits without any of the detriments. Load range D and E come on 275s and larger. If you are looking for a 3PMSF rating in this category consider the Bridgestone Blizzak LT, Michelin Latitude X-ICE, Michelin LTX Winter, or for a cheaper option, look at a Firestone Winterforce variant. This size definitely makes the tires pop a bit and adds a nice aggressive look to the vehicle. Generally speaking they did great on-road in most conditions unless there were major patches of ice or snow. They look great but I didn't go wider because I did not want the extra fuel mileage hit. Specifically looking at the Cooper Evo MT on the RRW RR7-H. First of all, thanks so much for this amazing tire write-up! In this case, the number 215 means that the tire width is 215 millimeters and the other one 225 indicates that the tire width is 225 millimeters. If you dont add a bumper then you will be fine. As a quick rule of thumb, assume the 285 tire is equal to the 33-inch tire. These are great for the offroader who daily drives their rigs to and from work, then takes their rigs off-road on the weekends. In the tire comparison table above, you can see a detailed calculation of the size difference between 265/70 R15 and 285/50 R18 tire. Both options are great choices for your 4Runner but the LTX M/S has a much better warranty at a whopping 70K miles. How much lift? On the other hand, the 285 tires are pretty huge. Toytec 3" lift, Bilstein 5100, Light Racing UCA, TRD Pro wheels, BFG KO2 285/70/17. The offroad benefit of the wider tire would accrue in conditions where increased floatation with lower pressure tires is desireable and there's risk of pinching the tire, but not much elsewhere unless the 285 is also a higher rated (such as E vs P, etc) tire. #5. 245/75R17 comes in 0.1 smaller than stock. I was worried that it might not work right or feel right driving or even not look right but I am extremely pleased. By being a soft tire we noticed a little bit of sway in the vehicle from side to side. The good thing about the Dueler H/T is they have absolutely zero road noise. Your email address will not be published. Thinner Side-Wall 265/70/17 Dunlops They look great. The Limited trim comes with 20-inch wheels and P245/60R20 tires. For an on-road daily driver or even commuter these are loud. 265/70 R17 tires diameter is 31.6 inches, section width is 10.4 inches and rim diameter is 17 inches. Designed to perform well with constant loads, which is why Cooper makes so many load range E options. And for a soft tire, they do great on mud, snow, sand, gravel, loose rock and general fire roads as well. You can confirm that just by looking at the titles of these two tires. The open shoulder slots, as mentioned above, also provide better traction off-road. I appreciate how many tires you reviewed, very thorough. I didnt catch one of those. On pavement, the 4S shares great road manners with the rest of the 4S line-up, especially in adverse conditions. So you've decided to take the plunge and fit 285/70/17 tires on your 5 th gen 4-Runner. I ran these on the tail end of a purchased 4Runner with 40K miles and then put them through a final winter before replacing them. They come in a range of sizes from 33s to 40s and are priced very well. Although, after I put on an aftermarket bumper and winch, my front end is weighed down and they rub when I turn the wheel all the way. For most 4Runner owners, a well-rounded AT is going to offer the best of both worlds. The best thing to do for some owners is to call a reputable shop (Big-O, Les Schwab, Etc.) From on-road and off-road driving habits to price and life expectancy many factors go into the buying decision. If it is a daily driver and occasionally you are going off-road, this is a good option, but the downside is that they wear out quicker than some others. Here are some calculations that may help in your decision. How do you like your rough country lift? This new EVO MT is more or less an upgrade from the STT Pro which is saying something. Sonax (230241) Wheel Cleaner Plus - 16.9 fl. A 265-section tire measures 265 millimeters from one sidewall to the other while a 285 tire measures 285 millimeters from one side to the other. Note that these sizes are in millimeters. The SRA comes stock on some 4Runners from the factory and its no wonder why. These Firestone A/T2s would best be suited for someone who wants the best of both worlds. The thicker, extended shoulder rubber and Increased rubber thickness extends down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. 285 tires offer better grip and stability than 265s, but can be more difficult to handle in tight turns. But, after putting about 20K miles on them, the performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions started to decline drastically. This means this tire only fits with a wheel that is 17 inches in size. And for a hard compound, they do perform well on most surfaces, including jagged sharp rocks. Also keep in mind that the weather condition in the area where you live. Size difference between 265/70 R15 and 285/50 R18 tires. They stick to rock and conform well to it as well as having less noise than the typical tire. In any case, load range D would likely be enough for most of our needs. They are by far the best options I have run in terms of off-road handling. The diameter of the 265 is 31.6 inches and for the 285 the diameter is 32.7 inches. We get questions on a daily basis: What are the best AT or MT tires? Very happy to see you included the cooper at3 xlt, which I chose after a lot of research, I think theyre overlooked even though they excel in most areas. Finally, the road noise is something to be adjusted to as well as coming from an all-terrain. Mud Terrains are typically going to provide the most amount of traction possible for a street-legal radial. After doing some searching on Goodyear's website, I found that the price for a good 275 tire was between $250 to $380 per tire. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with a 255/80/17 tire? I also offset them +12. . All Terrain meets Mud Terrain with a very soft rubber compound and much to be desired off-road. Instead of looking for the best option, we asked 20K people to gather the most common choices among the 4Runner crowd. ARB Speedy Seal Series II Repair Kit - 10000011, Granite Alloy GA641 Anthracite Painted Wheels, NANKANG Conqueror A/T AT-5 All- Terrain Radial Tire-265/70R17 115T, Genuine Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO Matte Black Wheels PTR20-35110-BK (Fits: 4Runner - Tacoma - FJ Cruiser) (4), VIAIR 88P - 00088 Portable Compressor Kit with Alligator Clamps, Tire Inflator, Tire Air Pump, 12V, 120 PSI, for Up to 33" Tires, RTX, Steel Rim, New Aftermarket Wheel, 17X7, 6x139.7, 106, 14, black finish X99441N, Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Gorilla Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Pack of 4, Gorilla Automotive 21133BC Small Diameter Acorn Black 5 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Pack of 20, Dorman 711-215 Chrome Spline Drive Wheel Nut 1/2-20,Pack of 4, 12x1.5 Extended Open Ended Lug Nuts, KSP 24PCS 7mm Shank Thread Pitch M12x1.5 Aftermarket Wheels Lug Nuts, Gorilla Automotive 73631TBC Locking Lug Nuts & 1 Key for Toyota/Lexus Aluminum Wheels - Set of 4, OMT M12x1.5 Lug Nuts with Mag Seat, 13/16" 21mm Hex 1.46x1.18 in. This model features an aggressive staggered off-shoulder tread design to give extra bite around the edges while off-road. Regardless, this is a very versatile AT/MT tire that will perform great on and off-road. The blocky-ness pulls well through low to moderate mud hole scenarios. Blackened Wheel Lug Nuts Compatible with Toyota Lexus Scion Isuzu, Set of 24, Set of 24 12x1.5 Veritek Mag OEM Factory Washer Style Black Lug Nuts for Toyota Tacoma 4 Runner SR5 Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road Limited OEM Replacement, Genuine Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO Fox Suspension Kit PTR61-89210, BOSH CHEMICAL Aluma Bright, Aluminum Cleaner and Brightener, 1 Gallon Concentrate, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W all_ Terrain Radial Tire-LT275/70R17 114S. Do not put TA KO2 on your TRD Wheels. hoping to find them! The extra frame can give a lift of as much as 3 inches to the car body. 265 tires are generally a good option for smaller vehicles or drivers looking to get maximum fuel efficiency. On the other hand, the Wheel size of the LT28570R17 is 17 inches. This means this tire only fits with the size of 17 inches wheel. The Trail Hogs are for the driver who spends most of their time off-road. If your factory tires are coming to the end of there life and you dont do much off-road but are looking for high quality wet and snow traction, you should take a look at these. TOYOTA Genuine Accessories 42607-06020 TPMS Sensor, Method MR316 Gloss Titanium Painted Wheels, Enkei Truck Cyclone Gunmetal Painted Wheels, Genuine Toyota 4Runner FJ Cruiser Tacoma Black PVD Wheel Lug Nuts (6 Pack) PT076-60200-02, Chemical Guys ACCG08 Wheelie All Exterior Surface and Wheel Brush, Method Race Wheels 305 NV, 17x8.5 with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Matte Black - MR30578560500, Chemical Guys SPI_995_16 Meticulous Matte Detailer and Spray Sealant, 16 oz, Orange, Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics, Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one, Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world, Post your own photos in our Members Gallery. The first three numbers in a tire size are the width of the tire. The STT Pro is a great off-road tire, but cooper took it a step further with the EVO MT. The Nitto Terra Grapplers come on many upgraded Toyota 4Runner models including the TRD line up depending on the dealership. I absolutely love 285s. This means this tire only fits with the size of 17 inches wheel. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them? This means this tire only fits with a wheel that is 17 inches in size. A well-rounded AT backed by a bigger brand name in production (Cooper). 5th Gen 4Runner on 33's - 285/70r17. On the highway, the Maxx performs well for its tread design with a surprisingly quiet ride and sure-footed feeling in the corners. You cant go wrong with a KO2. Radial tires are new and popular because they have an inner tire that looks like spokes coming out from the center. German Engineering. Off-road traction is excellent with this MT. They were great for the first 20,000 but I wont be buying them again. I will probably buy another set of these same tires next time. One of the most well-known all-terrains on the market, the BFG KO2. They produce a hum or in some cases, a howl depending on the tread pattern. If you arent going to push them through harsh terrain, these will be great for the long-haul. the size difference is 20mm (slightly over 3/4") wider on 285s. In the case of 285, that would be a sidewall height of 213.75. I keep them at 34 PSI. The Trail Hogs do quite well off-road. I think 34 looked weird. Usually, the KO2 fits the weekend warrior well. The Michelin LTX M/S2 is the original design of the two choices. Though in the snow they do well, they dont dig in and get me stuck, but they dont really get me out if I do get stuck due to over throttling. Required fields are marked *. These Firestone M/T2 are for those who want an aggressive look, typically seen on off-road vehicles. I know most people love them but not me. Durability and grip are key strong points to this Falkens performance off the pavement. However, these 4 made in USA tires look perfect. The new BFG KO2 is supposed to be their toughest KO yet. Also, durability is top-notch. I was leaning towards the Toyo AT IIIs but this article has not convinced me that they are worth trying? Read more #Continental; 2022/09/20. The 285/70r17 tires are 32.7" tall. (Tire Width Always Refers To The Measurement From One Sidewall To Another). if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'tireblogger_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_5',110,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tireblogger_com-large-leaderboard-2-0');70:The number after the dash specifies the aspect ratio of the tire. Theyre also a great value for money so if youre on a budget, but know better than to cheap out on your tires entirely, these are definitely for you. For this example, 70 designates for the height which is equal to 70% of the tires width. We took these Dueler H/T on a basic forest service road with a few rocks and humps. The tough sidewall and main tread make this option not only perform well in the rocks but durable over miles of rough terrain. The added benefit of their snow rating is great for those who live in or travel to wintry climates. The pro is that they can handle pretty much anything an on-road experience can throw at them. Goodyear backs this with a 50K mile warranty but through some reviews online you will see people say this Wrangler SR-A can push upwards of 70-80K miles. The outer tread is what makes it a hybrid MT. This tread pattern is obviously is built for meeting off-road needs. I run 285/70/17 with a leveling kit and 2 lift and have no problems. This model features an aggressive shoulder tread pattern which helps to improve off-road handling. That is 1.1 inches of difference, meaning that it would raise the vehicles height by 0.8 inches. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. Just be wary of sticky, clay-like mud, where these Falken Wildpeaks tend to become more like drag slicks once the tread clogs up. This model also has commercial sizes available. There are many factors to consider, and its not always easy to know which the best option is. They are very smooth and quiet on the pavement with excellent wet traction. This is one of those long-lasting all-terrains that many of us strive for but still offer performance off-road. In fact, Toyo has an impressive warranty backing the P rated version 65K miles and te LT sizes 50k miles. Those that daily their rigs would enjoy these, but keep in mind its not an all-terrain when talking about road noise. 265/60-R17 tires are 4.11 inches (104.3 mm) larger in diameter than 275/25-R20 tires and the speedometer difference is 13.9% . Meanwhile, 275 tires have a width of 275 mm and 285 tires have a width of 285mm. Moreover, users have positive opinions when comparing these two types of tires in the snow. The ride is phenomenal for an MT. I was shocked at the lack of noise these produced. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. The tread blocks, shoulder, and sidewalls on the AT2s are aggressive enough to handle most of what you throw at them. We ran these on our Trail Edition Premium 4Runner in 2014. The Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (SRA) features wide grooves in the tread design with lots of siping (zig-zag micro-groove pattern) to push water away from the tire preventing hydroplaning in the rain, snow, and ice. I will post pictures and tell my fun experience with the FJ swap daystar and spidertrax install on another post that I will title, "FJ swap, sway bar removal and Daystar/Spidertrax Install". I wouldnt trust all that but no first-hand experience hard to say. As I said above, they are well suited for hauling lots of weight. vs 305/25-21 vs 255/35-20 vs 265/35-20 vs 295/25-21 vs 275/30-21 vs 295/30-21 vs 285/30-20 vs 265/35-21 Send us your suggestions and ideas for the tire size calculator! Off-road the Terra Grapplers are going to offer additional tread over a highway tire for example, but dont expect them to push through extreme terrain or last into the 50k+ mile mark (again they didnt for us). This means that a 265 tire is going to be more affordable, more efficient, more comfortable, quieter, and will also offer more traction in the rain, slush, and snow. There is not a lot out there on the internet when it comes to the overall lifecycle of these so that is yet to be determined. If you want an aggressive look, want to test the limits of your 4Runner but still want to keep it as a daily driver, start here. The BFG KO2s are a go-to for a variety of reasons, but mainly because theyre great on and off-road. The OE tire for these trims is either the Firestone Winterforce 2 UV or the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. This is a great off-r0ad option FOR THE MONEY as they will perform and for the most part, get you through whatever section you throw at them. Set of 4. . There are many factors to consider, and its not always easy to know which the best option is. They have been absolutely fantastic in the wet, cold, and off road. 265 tires mean that the width of your tires is 265 mm. Holy smokes they perform great when aired down. Once again, it does several things well without necessarily excelling in one or another. In this guide, we will go over many different brands in order to select the brand and style that is right for your 4Runner. Some people actually enjoy the sound of their beloved MTs. Tire comparisons with silent armor and duratrac. Its a very capable all-season highway and on-road tire. Some 32 tires measure closer to 33 tires. Very reliable! Do they rub? Took these off my TRD PRO with less than 10k miles. I would go to the snow and they had no problem in the snowpack, Ice and stush. In each section of this buyers guide, you will find a review and overview from a person that has actually tested and driven those tires. They are however not perfect, they have been known to not have the best performance in snow and icy conditions. The anywhere traction allows a great option for people who are on-road as well as off-road frequently and want something that can handle both terrains well. They feature a mud slinger which provides a fresh grip in the mud, continuously throwing out the old mud. Once you get into mud and snow, typically ATs lose their traction. They bark man, they bark. The all-new KM3 was released in early 2019 and has destroyed its predecessor. They just recently wore out! Nonetheless, I am so pleased with them that Im about to order another set. Thinking of doing 275/70R17 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 on a stock TRD Pro wheel on a 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road. I love the articles! If you are looking for an ultra-quiet AT for your commute, these are not for you. We recommend trying to find a happy medium between the two options by choosing mid-size tires that offer more traction than standard ones but dont sacrifice fuel economy or wear out your car quickly. The 285s are out of the running at this point, I'm not experienced enough nor do I have the budget to start trimming or replacing bumpers and all that. They're a good choice for larger vehicles and those who need their car to perform well in tough weather conditions. I have 285s. For this article, if we use example tires like P26570R17 and 28570R17. Other letters can be T, LT or C and ST. Moving up from a 33 tire to 34 tire. The soft rubber compound allows for extremely impressive off-road performance at the 3k-10k mile mark but this same feature that makes them great can make them wear fast. Vendor specials, free gear, giveaway notifications, group buys and more! If you are looking for an aggressive tread block design for extreme off-roading while maintaining that well mannered on-road behavior this is an option to consider. The largest 4Runner community in the world. The Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts is a highway all-season tread pattern built for light SUV/truck duty. Great treadwear, low road-noise, a high level of ride comfort & all-weather performance contribute to their pleasant on-road manners. This Kumho MT71 would be a great choice for the more hardcore off-roaders who prioritize performance over noise and are looking to gain every little bit of traction they can. Saw-tooth technology (1) traps the snow in the tread for great snow-on-snow traction, special Aqua Vac channels (2) featuring deep center grooves improve hydroplaning and micro-gauge zig-zag sipes (4) improve stability and assist with . This character means that the tire is made with radial construction. They will rip through just about any terrain you throw at them. The only downside off-road is they may bust lugs if you spin them hard on rocks. The AT3 XLT specifically is designed to stop on average at least 10 feet shorter on wet roads compared to other LT models. I am also stuck between GY Silent Armors and GY Duratracs. Well outline all of these critical factors in detail so that you can make an informed decision about what will work best for you and your specific driving needs. We came up with this list of the most common ATs and MTs gathered by responses from actual 4Runner owners on Trail4Runner.com. I have had these on my 4Runner for two years now and the performance on-road specifically has been amazing. It has lugs that are more spaced apart which makes it great for clearing mud and gripping rocks. I think these pats were made for rock crawling and dry dirt not a full wet and snow capable option. It would seem the primary focus of the MT71 is the maximum off-road grip. I put 285/70/17s on my 4runner in 2016. i hear a lot of complaints about LT vs P but the skinny may counteract the harshness, would it not? #2. This width is available in many different heights. The lower load range is going to offer you a more comfortable ride although that is to be debated. Most options in this category are going to be for 4Runner owners that see little to no off-roading, mostly pavement. Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by brochacho, Jul 1, 2016. This is a studded-ready option with lots of siping along with little teeth on the base of the tire (TractiveGroove technology) made and designed for enhanced traction in deep mud, and snow. We will explain how to read this so that you can understand what exactly it means. People are constantly asking if my tires are new because they wear so well. Most of the time, you will get someone knowledgeable but sometimes you will get someone fresh/new. Being a hybrid, it has various traits that also make it a decent off-road. However, they aren't as good in wet weather conditions as 285s. Radial tires are new and popular because they have an inner tire that looks like spokes coming out from the center. I see a picture of a rear wheel tucked, what about the fronts at full lock? While this added braking power is excellent when its raining outside or if youre driving at higher speeds, keep in mind that these heavier-duty options will wear out your vehicle faster over time due to increased friction created from additional weight. That way, youll be able to enjoy all of the benefits without any of the detriments. But, the narrower tires perform better than the wider tires. Almost no noticable rub. The aspect ratio refers to how high a tires cross-section is. Thanks again to all yall that helped me come to this point, I appreciate the experience and resources that is on tap on this site. When it comes to thick wet/muddy, snow-packed trails they were OK their hard compound fails to deliver when conditions get wet and rough. Many websites market them as a hybrid AT tire and some even call them a Mud Terrain. This provides an easy way for water to escape in order to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning. Specifically geared towards vehicle owners that spend time in the snow and wet conditions, the 4S is 3PMSF rated making it a great overall tire for time on the mountain where winters are long and wet. If you dont want to read about AT and MT tires and want the fast answer stop here and call your local shop. Although this is more of my daily driver truck I have taken these off-road. Gravel roads they handled great but just like any wide lug or tread block, they tend to pick up more rocks due to the bigger grooves. Can definitely notice it's heavier but not by much. This is a sleeper as it is not necessarily a big well-known name. If my wheel is 8.5 wide and the tire spec says max rim width is7-8.5, will my setup works. Most pickup trucks, crossovers, and full-size SUVs will benefit from these tires. R:This character means that the tire is made with radial construction. Even on light mud and light snow terrain, these ATs did quite well. If you are looking for a Nitto that is going to offer moderate-extreme off-road performance, you may want to consider one of the other Grappler variants. The harder you push these softer tires off-road the faster they wear.