Tough types of steel that retain their sharpness well. Home Knives 30 Best Benchmade Knives in 2023 (Ranked by Category). Our advice is to go with a locking folder unless you have special requirements. I wont lie, it is a little heavy for those of you forgoing long treks, however, that weight is due to how solid and reliable the crooked river is while providing premium attributes such as that beautifully sealed wood grain handle and its ultra-strong AXIS lock. The first thing you might notice is the lack of scales. The manufacturing is based out of Oregon City, Oregon ever since the company moved to the place in 2010. Both models are excellent, youll just need to choose what fits you the best! Step 4 Materials:Finally, consider materials. Here Are the Best Benchmade Knives for EDC 1. Never heard of that in any forums ether so I'm guessing if you give it a try on your North Fork you'll find it isn't the case. These were actually designed later than the others and were requested by Benchmade enthusiasts. In addition to making some of the most iconic and popular knives for everyday carry, Benchmade also has a long and storied history with their outdoor knives. Lifesharp support will receive your knife and immediately disassemble it for inspection. Both knives fit the same use case and both knives are of the same exceptional Benchmade quality. Benchmade Saddle Mountain 15003-2 or 15003-1, Here Are the Best Tactical Benchmade Knives, Unique Benchmade Knife Designs and Notable Mentions, 30. This may actually be one of the most well-rounded knives weve ever Marine Approved. A compact AXIS folding hunting North Fork knife with a recurved blade to assist with processing duties. The Infidel is absolutely not an EDC knife nor is it for the untrained user. Its hard to explain, but this knife is pretty darn cool for the right person. I will mention this about the clip, it isnt like the standard Benchmade deep carry clips and doesnt do well on exceptionally thin material like gym shorts but feels great and stays in place snuggly when used on thick materials like jeans or tactical pants. Q: Does a Benchmade Knife Have a Lifetime Warranty? Usually, Id error on the side of an automatic knife to fit the bill of a tactical rescue tool, however, with how easy and buttery smooth Benchmades single-handed opening actions are, I have absolutely no doubt in having this as a manual rescue knife. Our test team (and likely you) like this feature. It is a boutique piece of equipment, and losing such an expensive pocket knife out on a camping trip would certainly be a tragedy. The All-Outdoors Guide team is comprised of enthusiastic experts that enjoy helping others that aspire to be better at outdoor fun. Spyderco folding knives tend to come with a thumb hole in the spine instead of a thumb stud to open the blade, and thats called a Spydie hole. On the entire continuum of pocket knife size, the North Fork is near the top. The very first look convinces you that this knife would not slip from your grip. Benchmade Knives Custom Handle Scales Custom Bugout Scales Custom Bugout Scales These custom scales fit any version of the 535 Bugout from Benchmade. Step 2 Construction:Along with size goes construction. 2. It's a more solid feeling knife than its bigger brother because the liners fill almost all of the handle area. Best Alternatives to Yeti Cooler | Coolers Like YETI. The price is pretty dang high, you could get value and use out of much lower-priced Benchmade knives, however, the Anthem is one of a kind and truly is a piece of incredible engineering that, if its your flavor, is well worth the money. They offer some real advantages, especially when youre working blind inside a cavity; its much easier to predict where the smaller blade is going to be, so youre less likely to find it sticking in your other hand. This is a great mechanism for those of you who dont like the feeling of the blade springing out of its handle but more so would rather a bit of control and a bit of automatic spring action. This thing almost looks like a throwing knife and to be honest, when you first hold it, thats probably what your first impression would be. For legal reasons, many of the double-sided versions of this knife come dull. Like the Editors Choice Mini Barrage, the North Fork knife is smaller than "full size". In this respect the Bugout is a little more user-friendly for 'normal' users. I say this because it is my favorite carry of all time. alain picard wife / ap calculus bc multiple choice / benchmade north fork vs bugout. Understanding the shape and the steel of your future blade will be the largest deciding factor of how the blade behaves when used in your specific environment and situations! However, the wooden handle might start to look a bit beaten up. You would be hard-pressed to find a good EDC of this level that can perform utility tasks this well. Its most noticeable trait is the Dymondwood scales. The pocket clip is secure and can be switched from one side to the other, depending on your hand preference. Both models are the same shape a nicely curved, hand-fitting form with a deep finger cutout below the lock, and a front flare. The Benchmade Knife Company is well known for creating superior blades, so I was eager to put the North Fork to the test. Whats important is that you pick a knife according to what you need and you like, and youll definitely love what you end up buying. A large knife pretty much needs to be fixed blade, but with the size, were looking at theres a choice. Drop point blades are great for regular utility work, and if you dont need any piercing power, go for a Sheepsfoot tip. The re curve does very well at cutting and it shines when you draw cut something as the re curve assists in cutting. Your blade must be sharp and stay that way. The Axis Dual-Action is kind of a blend between the two aforementioned Axis mechanisms. This website is not affiliated with the United States Marine Corps, and the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Marine Corps as a whole. There is no AXIS lock or AXIS assisted opening but instead, the blade is held in place via friction from the frame. The Axis Lock comes integrated with three different action flavors: Axis Assist, Axis Automatic, and Axis Dual-Action Automatic. That good old homegrown quality and attention to detail dont come cheap and although I dont know the specifics, the information found here on Glassdoor indicates average wages that far exceed what Id expect most foreign knife manufacturers to offer their employees. Blade Style: Drop-PointBlade Composition: CPM-S30VHandle Composition: Diamond Textured GrivoryBlade Length: 3.24Total Length: 7.46Total Weight: 1.85 ounces. Again, what is it that youll do with this Benchmade? Weve talked about super simplistic knives earlier on in this guide and I think Ive hit home some solid models for those of you who dont need extra goodies. Benchmade Nakamura 484 7. All Benchmade knives are made in America and are also labeled the same. Blade Style: Drop-PointBlade Composition: M390Handle Composition: G10 or Carbon FiberBlade Length: 3.08Total Length: 7.03Total Weight: 3.52 ounces. Spider Gear SG76- this particular folding knife boasts a strong fixed blade, excellent craftsmanship and a nylon sheath for reasons of easy carry.The blade is derived from D2 steel, which is renowned for strong abrasion and wear resistant properties. Oh, and if you have butterfingers and youre always dropping your knives in the woods, only to take the next 15 minutes kicking leaves looking for your knife, you can grab this baby in some hot hunters orange and ensure you never lose your beloved Benchmade Altitude. Blade Style: Modified Reverse-TantoBlade Composition: CPM-M4Handle Composition: Heavily Cross Textured G10Blade Length: 3.98Total Length: 9.28Total Weight: 5.92 ounces. How can we improve GearLab? They will then sharpen the blade back to its original factory specs and then perform a deep clean and shine on each and every part. Spyderco vs Benchmade Which Should You Choose? The Bedlam features two blade finish options, one being a regular satin finish and the other being my personal favorite on this model, the black Cerakote, which matches up nicely to the hardware finish and the black G10 handles. Youre a simple old school kind of guy and you dont need no stinkin nylon in your leather sheath do ya? If you dont already have a nice EDC, check out the loads of fantastic EDC knives weve reviewed above from Benchmade. Naturally, a question arises: what is the best Benchmade knife? I like the low visibility these EDC blades offer. benchmade north fork vs bugout. Your message has been sent privately to our editorial staff for review. I personally prefer the thumb hole over the harsher thumb stud. While this one has a slightly shorter handle and will make your pinky finger dangle free, its expected for such a small knife. Blade Style: Spear-PointBlade Composition: CPM-S30VHandle Composition: Skeletonized 6061-T6 Billet AluminumBlade Length: 3.95Total Length: 8.72Total Weight: 3.24 ounces. The surgically sharp blade comes perfectly centered. And, to assure complete independence, we buy all the products we test ourselves. It will cut well for years and years, and Benchmade will sharpen it in a process that is also, well, smooth. There was a small time period where some of the Benchmade knives were outsourced in other countries but those days are now gone. This will give you more flexibility but lower edge retention. For the g10 handles. Blade Style: Drop-PointBlade Composition: CPM S30VHandle Composition: Sealed Wood or Patterned G10Blade Length: 2.97Total Length: 6.97Total Weight: 3.41 ounces. I'm just a survivalist and knife lover. Despite being expensive, many people flock to buy Benchmade knives. It's extremely lightweight for a knife this capable, and due to the axis locking mechanism, it's very user friendly as well. The Griptilian is host to many of our favorite Benchmade attributes such as the AXIS lock, allowing tons of pressure to be applied on the spine of the knife without fear of locking mechanism failure. My final thoughts are this: This knife is not worth the money if youre looking for a tough and durable do-it-all EDC knife. Have some money burning a hole in your pockets and you need something that your buddies are sure to gawk at? The Bugout has a fairly standard drop-point blade. Clayton - Thanks for the comment. My Review: As with many self-defense situations, sometimes a little deterrence in the form of striking the fear of death in someones eyes is all you need and I think thats what Benchmade was going for when they designed the ominous-looking Contego. Its a bit harsh on the hand. The Rescue Tool is in the same form factor as the original SOCP dagger but instead of a spear-point blade, youll be getting a belt cutter and pry tool. Looking through the reviews, I found that the customers absolutely love the manual opening action and that the blade was perfectly centered. The original Freek, the 560, isnt available new anymore from what I understand and since the new version, the 560-1, encompasses CPM-M4 steel instead of what was previously used, thats why this version is dubbed the Super Freek, even though its not technically called that by Benchmade. You can check out the full review of this knife here. Today many EDC enthusiasts have also embraced this great pocket knife. The deep carry clip also makes it an ideal choice. Make sure these handles are well-textured, and youre all set. Between those two even with the variants of the mini grip, I would still choose the northfork all day. Its made from 154cm stainless steel that gives it excellent edge retention. Benchmade Anthem 781 3. Benchmade is largely more expensive than a lot of other comparable knife options because of the incredible quality and unbeatable technologies theyve implemented into their knives. Benchmade has wisely kept the Mini Bugout's clip plain and simple. See our Privacy Policy for more details. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 2PCS Handle Patch G10 Micarta Blade Scales Fit For Benchmade North Fork Knife at the best online prices at eBay! That interesting texture you see near the spine of the blade is simply laser-etched tacticoolness to help you open it up if you do happen to feel like neglecting the giant hole since it was originally designed to be a two-handed manual opener. Benchmade North Fork Review February 5, 2015 GEAR INSTITUTE RATINGS 98 Construction & Materials 10 Ease of Use Steel Quality & Edge Retention 10 Durability 10 The Good Good value Well made Dymondwood handle scales Works well as back-up or secondary hunting knife The Bad Blade is too small to be a primary hunting tool Feels a bit small in hand No ads. Its topnotch features combined with high performance ensure the folding knife suits your everyday needs.Overall, North Fork 1503 takes pride in being a product of a respectable brand and it is specially built for tackling multiple tasks.Whether you want a reliable hunting knife, a reliable outdoor companion or you want something to use for making precision cuts, this tactical folding knife is your best bet. luke86 Joined Mar 29, 2015 Messages 825 However, this is the biggest Benchmade folder and has a long clip point blade that will suit not only EDC tasks but also tasks during hunting and camping. That is why the blades contain coatings. Click Here To Learn More! The 440HC steel is not like the typical premium hard to sharpen steels that Benchmade usually uses and can be sharpened relatively easily in a short amount of time. Yeah, I didnt miss the 3 or 4 for that 1, it really does weigh less than 2 ounces. This knife is also available with a little pizazz, offering a carbon fiber handle and beautiful accents. My Review: Oh boy, when I first saw this monstrosity I was pretty intrigued as to what the heck is going on with that blade, then I realized these were designed for aviation use and all I could think about was all the wack stuff Airmen have said to me. In fact, the Bugout is probably the best, general use knife in the Benchmade line up given its price, design, performance, size, and weight. Id argue that this is an excellent knife for someone looking in the premium folding Tanto section. Privacy | Cookies | Terms. This program is designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. These high-grip sections make it easy to control the blade for fine cutting, even when its wet or slimy if you like to hold your index finger along the spine while skinning theyll give you some extra security. Its unique flat top serrations are quite easy to sharpen even on a flat stone. Just real, honest, side-by-side testing and comparison. The knife is made for hunting, but it can still be utilized for other tasks and in various outdoor activities.Unlike other Benchmade knives, the folding knife is crafted to deliver great performance coupled with enhanced durability.Even some of the most popular folding knives cant match the degree of versatility offered by Benchmade North Fork-1503.Again, even the market leaders cannot tackle as many tasks as the ones this folding knife can tackle. My Review: First and foremost, the Saddle Mountain is more of a lineup of knives that just a single knife itself. My Review: Oh boy Benchmade does not normally make large blades but when they do, you get something capable of fighting off the Taliban all by yourself. For the Bugout the lanyard hole is a part of the scales. All of them are pretty durable, and grip depends on the shape or finish more than the material, so go for whatever youre comfortable with. A blade's sharpness and integrity are a function of usage, materials, heat treatment, and geometry. The drop-point blade makes North Fork 1503 a handy hunting tool for skinning and slicing wildlife. Overall its a very nice handle that gives excellent grip, even when wet or slick with blood. These knives are exceptionally dangerous and have very little utility value. However, some find the full-sized Griptilian a little intimidating. Because often I need to use my EDC for piercing or prying, and this sturdy, capable tip means I can do that without worrying about the tip snapping off. It feels cheap to me in the hand and I just can't get past it. A: Their amazing quality is what made Benchmade knives stand apart from other kinds of knives. However, if youre wearing work gloves, that problem vanishes. Free shipping for many products! Are Benchmade Knives Worth the Expensive Price Tag? I have had a ton of them. Another big factor here is that CPM-20CV is slightly easier to sharpen than other premium steels like S30V or M390 which makes this knife a bit easier to maintain for those of you that are new to the premium knife world. The Fact wont be for everyone but something I noticed is that it would fit very well in a purse or handbag due to how slim it is so perhaps this would be a good way to get your girl into carrying a Benchmade! Those things take a lot of time and expensive employees to manufacture. My Review: The Grizzly Ridge is essentially the same knife as the Grizzly Creek but with an arguably better handle.