The name sounds so familiar (I was a Wandsworth baptism as a teenager in 77). this was fascinating, and I havent got to part 2 yet! going back ten+ years when we first interacted online (message boards), but this interview gave me many more insights. None of this means that believing scholars and secular scholars have to treat each other poorly or that we cannot respect (even in the midst of serious disagreement) each others work. Do you know if the church took down the names of all the 7th East Press people? http://mormonstories.org/brent-metcalfe-hofmann-bombings-excommunication-book-of-mormon/, Scan this QR code to download the app now. Again, Im not sure that you would disagree with any of this. Good clarification, Doubting Thomas (if that is your real name), :) I have no reason to believe that Jerald Tanner attempted official contact, so Im not sure who Darrick is referring to or what the method of communication entailed. We were not suppose to discuss the Temple, Blacks and Priesthood, and of course definitely not curtain parts of the church history such as polygamy and polyandry. [4] Metcalfe assisted Hofmann in leaking the existence of the letter to the press, contrary to the wishes of the LDS Church. Rude Dog Never fear! african american gastroenterologist near me; district 36 lofts; how to turn off scan text on iphone 12 If so, what will be the subject? Brent Metcalf, age 31, Kingsport, TN Lived in: Greeneville TN, Elizabethton TN, Louisville TN Relatives: Terri Treadway, Kathy Edens, Douglas Metcalf View full report Brent E Metcalf, age 39, Semmes, AL Lived in: Wilmer AL, Theodore AL Relatives: Beverly Metcalf, Thomas Metcalf, Thomas Metcalf View full report But being new to the church and so unacquainted with church matters and such things I was not much help. You didnt elaborate on that interpretation. In these two episodes we discuss: 1) The aftermath of the Mark Hofmann bombings, and Brent's. Brent_Metcalfe 7 yr. ago To clarify 4blockhead's list. All he had to say publicly if there was really no truth in it, was its simply not true and leave it at that. On my mission in England I met a older, wise non LDS woman very knowledgeable on esoteric and metaphysics teachings. It was so, so interesting. In the highly anticipated follow up to our first interview, Brent Metcalfe continues his story. As an atheist I am not without my own inconvenient truths. Brent Metcalf Resides in Modesto, CA Includes Address (1) Phone (1) See Results Statistics for all 3 Brent Metcalf results: 50 yrs AVERAGE AGE 100% are in their 50s, while the average age is 50. "Everybody that ever dealt with Mark Hofmann was a victim of his, and of his deception, and I think it's just kind of a . I have some insights into that. Now, along with all of the other historical and literary problems, including DNA evidence, we are suppose to accept it on feelings and the spirit.like all religions do with their own faiths.and be excited about sharing this book with our friends! Thank you so much for being so open and honest that particular issue. Can you offer any insight to this? Listening now- so far, I like the new intro lots! dave davies wife. He was basically threatening his entire existence. (paraphrased and likely not the actual quote from Murder Among the Mormons, Netflix documentary). Azerbaijan's Jabrayil Hasanov in action against The USA's Brent Metcalf. He told the story of writing at least a few letters to Hofmann in prison asking for an interview. Metcalfe subsequently resigned from the Seventh East Press and told Sunstone that he would no longer write for them. Excellent question. Robert Ritner, Egyptologist, wrote a recent book the Joseph Smith Papyri in which he acknowledges your encouragement for that project. You sound like a delightful guy. (I think that was my only disappointment, that Brent basically gave up on God because of an epiphany.). A special thanks to Brent for giving up so much of his time to do these episodes, especially some of them as he was feeling very much under the weather. Our interview continues tonight!!! According to Metcalfe, he was questioned by LDS Church authorities about his writing for the 7EP and Sunstone was "forced to resign" from his job in April 1983. It was torturous turning out essays to suit a particular lecturers preferences in order to gain high marks. I was going to ask the same thing. Im was left kind of hot but dry after hoping to hear about his drama with the church and its leaders.any chance of allowing closure for me here? Your account of why you didnt pursue a doctorate was extremely touching to me as I absolutely admire those that can do the tedium of historical research. Best wishes, Brent! Great interview. Broad topics include my excommunication plus BoMor and BoAbr research. Brent Lee Metcalfe is an independent researcher and writer of the Latter Day Saint Movement. Fantastic interviews. In fact, Brent was with Mark the night before he caused the first explosion. From Spencer Kimballs battle with dementia to Monsons where the hell is that driver, to the insights with Mark E Peterson, Brents influential instructors at the University of Utah. Are you generally satisfied with the way the Mark Hofmann affair has been portrayed in the media and in the various books? On acquiring a PhD, after a year of university, apart from a lack of finances, I quickly noticed that the degree factory isnt a reflection on ones intelligence. $95k AVERAGE INCOME Our wealth data indicates income average is $95k. That piqued my interest in the whole sordid affair. Im not sure who made this comment, (I think that it was on another thread),But it went something like thisBased upon the bretherns actions regarding the Salamander letter, The LDS leadership thought that Mark Hofmann was telling the truth and that Joseph Smith was the fraud. I think that the LDS churchs main competitor in the marketplace of ideas is not a bigger tent more liberal church, its Agnosticism/atheism. How would it be different from other books that deal with the same subject? Awesome music, right? John, you asked for information about any of the Christensens. So glad Brent. [8], Metcalfe is a native of New Zealand. Tom, have you considered allowing John to interview you? Its a pity Joseph Smith couldnt sit them all down for a good coming-to-Jesus admonishing. Hi Brent, Thank you for your insights and open heart. The LDS Church fired Brigham Young University professor David Wright for his contribution to the volume, and excommunicated both Wright and Metcalfe shortly thereafter. So sorry Maxine! I havent listened to MS for several years now, but with Brent being interviewed I couldnt miss this, and I wasnt disappointed. It all depends on the depth of study one does. And how was it working with Mr. Ritner? On Wiwikipedia, it mentions that in a hit piece done by Dan Peterson, that he encodeds the message, Metcalfe is a butthead. What were your qurarrels like with FARMS? By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. A man with boldness of speech, and is often cited by members as one of the favourite apostles to hear from. Indeed, the trivial matters that many theists assert as claiming the attention of God (even as hell is meanwhilebreaking loose) is absurd evidently too absurd for many to even grasp. Textual Criticism and Editing, Mormon studies, and Book of Mormon. In Part 3, Brent discusses the aftermath of the Hofmann murders, including the trial and Hofmanns eventual plea deal. [4] His supervisor removed the probation, but on April 8 Metcalfe's employment was terminated. Metcalfe is on the editorial board of the John Whitmer Historical Association. They use evidences such as paintings from the 1600s showing native americans using temple signs/tokens, apparent cuneiform writings being discovered that spell Yod Hey Va, and that the Hopewell/Adena Indians are the Nephites/Jaredites. Brents words deepened my own thoughts on God, spiritually and humanity. Steven Christensen (son of Mr. Mac), one of Mark Hofmanns victims. Yes! Do you still attend LDS church? Daniel Kahneman speaks in terms of efficient Thinking Fast biases that unconsciously deploy the WYSIATI (What-You-See-Is-All-There-Is) heuristic, which has proved itself sufficiently satisficing for selection. I struggled in school with learning how to read for years and this resulted in me developing crippling anxiety any time I was aced to read in public. Simply put, I think JSs BoAbr project is an example of JSs *sincerity*, not his fraudulence. Wow John, what an interview. Now that the new Netflix documentary Murder Among the Mormons has come out, it also validates the important witness that Brent was in this event. Wrestling for coach Roy Hall at Davison High School in Michigan, Metcalf finished as arguably the #1 overall recruit with a career record of 228-0 with . Copyright 2005 - 2023 | Mormon Stories. Brent is a fascinating interview for Mormon Stories for many reasons, including: Please post your questions for Brent here. The view of the Lamb on mount Sion gave me joy unspeakable and full of glory. I am quite sure, that film is no longer shown. Its probably best to start over when these things happen, rather than just continuing where you left off. The failure of faith concept was very interesting, and I can only say but for the grace of God. On the term translation, JS promoted his ancient texts as translations in the traditional sense. [7] The LDS Church fired Brigham Young University professor David Wright for his contribution to the volume, and excommunicated both Wright and Metcalfe shortly thereafter. Funny how I was taught at BYU The Glory of God is Intelligence I find comfort in knowing I am not alone. @John, thank you for all the hours you put in. Also, make sure your second recording matches the first. In Part 4, Brent examines some of the issues surrounding traditional approaches to the Book of Mormon. But it has not always been that way or worked in his favor. I was curious about the book that Brent photocopied from the archives. Netflixs Murder Among the Mormons is a limited series that profiles the exploits of Mark Hofmann, who planned and executed a deadly event in Salt Lake City, Utah, that left the Latter-day Saints Church shaken to its very core. In these two episodes we discuss: The aftermath of the Mark Hofmann bombings, and Brent's excommunication for his research into the Book of Mormon, and Brent's review of challenges to traditional approaches to the Book of Mormon. And you are an example. location 502, 899, 5027 of 9578, Last edited on 26 December 2022, at 05:30, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "The LDS intellectual community and church leadership: A contemporary chronology", BOOK OF MORMON SCHOLARS UNLEASH SALVO OF BARBS, "MAPPING BOOK OF MORMON HISTORICITY DEBATESPART I", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brent_Lee_Metcalfe&oldid=1129585083, This page was last edited on 26 December 2022, at 05:30.