I dont believe in putting children in a hostel when they are not mature; by that, I mean when they are ready to go to the university. She described such people as lacking understanding of the times and seasons that are in the hands of God. Neither he nor Betsy have shared any of that information. How did you balance your work and family life as a young banker? Some of Gov Godwin Obaseki projects include the Benin River Port Project (Gelegele Seaport), Edojobs, Technology hubs, and the Benin Industrial Park. They dont leave that for their mother. There isnt a biological child living with Governor Obaseki and his wife, Betty. >>> Stay up to date with other interesting articles like this by checking ourcelebrity cars section. [13][10][12], In 1995, Godwin Obaseki founded Afrinvest West Africa Limited (formerly Securities Transactions & Trust Company Limited (SecTrust), which has grown to become one of the most reputable investment banking and management firms in Nigeria. He attended St. Matthew's Primary School for his primary school education and proceeded to Eghosa Grammar School, in Benin City, for secondary education. She worked with International Merchant Bank Nigeria Ltd., IMB Securities Ltd. and Messrs Akintola Williams & Co. Oranmiyan chose his son Eweka to be the first Oba of Benin. What kind of father would you say you are? During his time in office, Godwin Obaseki worked tirelessly to improve the life of people of Edo State. Jane Osuagwu is an automotivewriter at Naijauto.com. [11] For his mandatory one year National Youth Service, he served in Jos, Plateau State. Mr. Obaseki serves on the boards of several prestigious companies in Nigeria as a sign of the respect he enjoys in the business world. He focused on Africa and provided Structured Trade Finance for African-related transactions. Obaseki is very charitable and works as a trustee for the Dr. Jackson Owen Obaseki Foundation, a family-run Organization that offers free medical and educational assistance to those who are less fortunate. Dr. Owen Jackson Obaseki, the first . I had to bribe her by buying her ice cream and other things to pamper her. In his response, the Edo governor . Godwin Obaseki has enacted projects with the aim of making the state an investment hub. [5] In that capacity, he pioneered a number of policy reforms that saw the state restructure its public finance, secure funding for infrastructure and improve the business environment to attract investment in power, agriculture and other critical sectors. If none of what we have already talked about is impressive enough for you, you should also know that Betsy is a fellow of ICA (Institute of Credit Administrators), member of IOD (Institute of Directors), NIM (Nigeria Institute of Management) and AIPM (Association of Investment and Pension Managers). When she worked as the Head of Agribusiness Division, her responsibilities lied in the sphere of risk assets of the Agro-allied Sector. When I graduated I had the opportunity to work and save some money before getting married. He decamped from the All Progressive Congress (APC) when seeking re-election. The couple has not yet been conceived. Since 17 March 2009, Mr. Obaseki, passionate about development, has served as the chairman of the Edo State Governments Economic and Strategy Team (EST) on a volunteer basis. Until the children can do things for themselves, every responsibility has to be shared between the mother and father. We teach them how to talk to people, how to dress in public, and things to avoid. Mr Oshiomhole, a former governor of Edo, helped Mr Obaseki to succeed him as the state governor in 2016, against all the odds. In education, Obaseki launched the Edo Basic Education Transformation (Edo BEST)programme, an initiative to train and equip public school teachers with top-of-the-range skills and expertise for deploying Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in classrooms to improve learning outcomes. Don't forget to drop us a comment and share to your friends. His contemporaries then referred to him as a solutions provider with ideas (1996). Sadly, No. Theres an absence of children in Governor Godwin Obaseki family. After working there for a while, he transferred his services to the International Merchant Bank. He is currently a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He won the election and assumed office on the 12th of November 2016. It is no surprise that Mr. Obaseki has chosen a worthy person to become Mrs. Obaseki. During the 2020 Edo Gubernatorial Election, Obaseki seeked for re-election but was disqualified by the party's National Working Committee from contesting the primary elections due to inadequate credentials required. After his early education at St. Matthews Primary school and the Eghosa Grammar school, Obaseki continued to the University of Ibadan, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Classics. Governor Obaseki has however pledged his resolve to continue to work with the federal government in ensuring that child marriage is stamped out from Edo state and the country at large, with a. No, it did not because I was still able to do the things I was supposed to do. The love is there, only it is hidden from the public eye, as it should be. It is 70 per cent more on the part of the parents and 30 per cent on neighbours and teachers at school. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. The International Financial Corporation (IFC) picked Afrinvest as the correspondent stockbroker for Nigeria in 1995 thanks to Mr. Obasekis financial savvy and the companys many successes. Its interesting to note that Mr. Obaseki oversaw the core group that founded two of Nigerias new-generation banks, which radically changed the character of the countrys banking sector. Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki (born 1 July, 1957 in Benin City, Nigeria) is a Nigerian politician and businessman, who is currently serving as the Executive Governor of Edo State. Shes a B.Sc. Obaseki holds post graduate degrees in both Finance and International Business, and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Stock Brokers, Nigeria. Before serving at the sub-national level, Obaseki served in the Presidential Committee on the Reform of the Nigerian Pension System,[13] which facilitated the introduction of the contributory pension scheme and other novel pension reforms. After that, Mr. Obaseki launched Afrinvest West Africa Limited (formerly SecTrust) in 1995, turning himself into an entrepreneur. They have to change their lifestyles to be family-focused. Obaseki served the state for seven years under the administration of former governor Adams Oshiomhole. Also, I correct them when they watch programmes that are not appropriate for them. [13] He is also an avid golfer. Prior to that, he was a member of Nigerian Stock Exchange Council from 2006 to 2009. During holidays, I deliberately spend time with them. Soon, newspaper reports emerged, but most importantly, #opinion (628 Views) Oshiomole Have Relegated Top Pdp Goons: Obaseki Be Wary / "I Cannot Be A Governor And Not Be A Governor" - Godwin Obaseki Laments / Governor Godwin Obaseki Sleeping At UN General Assembly (photos) I won't leave PDP for . Although Obaseki already has a house of his own, he's currently living at the Edo state government house. In a statement, Osagie said the Governor Obaseki as Chief Security Officer of Edo State is committed to the security and safety of his people and does not engage in actions that are self-destructive. Leaving the government was one of the happiest periods for me, considering that it gave me the opportunity to have time for my wife and children. There is also a strong emphasis on technical education, which led to the revamping of the Government Science and Technical College (formerly Benin Technical College) to train workforce in the state. and MSc. He attended St. Matthews Primary School for his primary school education and proceeded to Eghosa Grammar School, in Benin City, for secondary education. holder in Accounting from the University of Lagos. My wife had a child shortly after our wedding, so it was a perfect time. Did fatherhood create limitations for you? I have to discipline my children. Obaseki is the founding secretary, (1992), of a US-based Africa Chamber of Commerce. In 1995, Godwin Obaseki founded Afrinvest West Africa Limited (formerly Securities Transactions & Trust Company Limited (SecTrust), which has grown to become one of the most reputable investment banking and management firms in Nigeria. Osagie Ize-Iyamu is a Nigerian pastor, politician, former Chief of Staff and Secretary to the Edo state government. In 1988, Obaseki was employed by AVC Funds Ltd., where he worked as a Project Manager. He was re-elected into office under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). There isn't a biological child living with Governor Obaseki and his wife, Betty. He further gained an admission to study at the University of Ibadan, where he earned a Bachelors degree in Classics. Who is the present deputy governor of Edo State? Any child kept in a hostel for pre-senior secondary school can be subjected to abuse because the age of maturity is not on their side. I am hardly around but any time I am around, I give it my all and try to catch up with what I think may be the gap that may have been created while I was away. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. A man will always be a man but I realised I was no longer a bachelor, so I had to create time to be at home. The governor is married to a financial expert like him. He was the voluntary Chairman Edo Economic and Strategy Team, Chairman Tax Assessment Review Committee for Edo state Internal Revenue Service, Committee member on Contributory Pension Scheme among others. Obasekis focus in the health sector is to develop a viable primary healthcare system to provide affordable and accessible health care services to people in the state. On obtaining his SSCE, she gained admission to study Accounting at the University of Lagos. When they ask questions, we explain to them. 24lottos.com. My children understand what a cane symbolises, so when I mention it, everybody falls in line. The state government has proposed to build about 200 Primary Healthcare Centres. to remodel 200 primary health centres - Premium Times Nigeria", "NIPC to commence fresh phase of certification in Edo, Delta, Akwa-Ibom", "EDO State Sets to Establish a State Investment Promotion Agency", "Edo, German govt partners to support MSMEs grow local economy", "We Need Help To Reintegrate Victims Of Human Trafficking Obaseki", "APC's Godwin Obaseki wins Edo governorship election", "Edo: APC's NWC has final say on aspirants' credentials National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole", "Edo 2020: Court strikes out certificate forgery suit against Obaseki", "Breaking: Obaseki dumps APC over Edo crisis", "Edo 2020: Governor Obaseki formally joins PDP", "UPDATED: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court dismisses APC's suit against Obaseki", "Forgery Case: I've never set eyes on Obaseki's original certificate, don tells Court -", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Godwin_Obaseki&oldid=1129290979, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, injecting a culture of regular retreats as a platform for engagement and consensus building in planning, executing and evaluating state development initiatives and their outcomes, N25 Billion Infrastructure Development Bond from the Nigerian Capital Market in 2010, inspiring Sector-based Economic Summits and Policy Dialogue Series, The Benin River Port Project (Gelegele Seaport), This page was last edited on 24 December 2022, at 14:54. Eweka was the first in a long line of Obas, who reached the peak of their power in the 1500s. Like so many modern African states, Nigeria is the creation of European imperialism. He also rides a Lexus LX570 and Range Rover Velar. This is the Edo government house where Governor Obaseki currently resides. My mother-in-law was around to take care of the baby, which is normal in Africa. There is no compromise. [12], Obaseki began his career as a stockbroker in 1983 with Capital Trust Brokers Limited, Lagos. Godwin Obaseki was born on the 1st of July, 1957 in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria as the third child in his family. Wife He was controversially disqualified from contesting in the APC primary elections by the screening committee due to his disagreements with the National chairman of the party and his predecessor in office comrade Adams Oshiomhole. The Federal High Court in Abuja eventually struck out a certificate forgery case instituted against the governor[38] by the All Progressives Congress (APC), his former political party. 1a. Mr. Obaseki was born in Benin City, Edo State on July 1, 1957. Born in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria, Obaseki is the third child of Late Pa Roland Obaseki and Gbinigie of Owina Street, Ogbelaka Quarters, Benin City.