Behind the scenes of faith-based 'Breakthrough' film: The scene where Joyce Smith's son, John, played by Marcel Ruiz, comes back to life was a challenge for the big screen but Ruiz said it 'gave me goosebumps. So, this story really got their eyebrows raised and brought us all closer, and its giving us a chance to witness to them. Trapped underwater for 15 minutes, the boy had no pulse after 43 minutes of CPR. "'Breakthrough' is a true miracle story of a mother who prays her son back to life," Franklin said on a recent episode of PureFlix.com's "Pure Talk." "He died, John Smith, when he . On his day to present, John admits he did not do the assignment. He woke up on the third day, seven days later they took him off the vent, seven days after that he walked out of the hospital. Realizing she cannot control John's outcome, Joyce retreats to the roof of the hospital to pray, asking God for forgiveness and submitting to His will. When Joyce Smith's adopted son John falls through an icy Missouri lake, all hope seems lost. What did John Smith look like in real life? Unrivaled Mac notes apps for fuss-free note-taking, 6 Actionable Tips for Improving Your Websites SEO, Copyright 2023 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes. During a set visit, I had an opportunity to sit down with the real Joyce, John, and Jason, who explained more about Johns miraculous journey. 1. Ill take care of this. Now, I didnt know what Ive got this meant, other was I just knew that He wasnt going to take John. He says that he tried to push ice to his friends for them to grab on to so they could get out. SSM Health physician Kent Sutterer, played by Sam Trammell in the film, just assumed John wouldn't make it when he arrived at the hospital. 368 following. Best described as Cirque meets The Passion,The Thorn is an immersive show that has played more than 25 years on, Bestselling author Karen Kingsbury, along with her son, Tyler Russell, have adapted the novel,A Thousand Tomorrows, into a six-episodeseries from, Jesus Revolution takes in $15.5 million in the domestic box office debut and completely out performs the originally projected $7. Travis Bryant as Jonah, one of Johns friends. He recovered only after his mother, Joyce Smith depicted on the big screen by Chrissy Metz of "This Is Us" fame prayed. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. There he sees Tommy Shine, and thanks him for saving his life. Born around 1580 in Willoughby, a town in Lincolnshire, England, Smith left home at age 16 after his father's death. John Smith (Robert Errol Van Orden) was born on 6 March, 1931 in Los Angeles, California, USA, is an actor. Perhaps that's not surprising, though, since Metz - who plays the mother, Joyce . "[I was] constantly fighting God and Him just saying, 'Keep listening to Me, just pay attention, just walk where I need you to walk.' His pulse miraculously returned. She said, I love you, and I said, I love you too, Mom, and I hung up. .switcher .selected a:hover {background:#3a3a3a} The phone call Joyce Smith received on Jan. 19, 2015 was every mother's . [Photo via 20th Century Fox] The story was turned into a book and soon after, the blockbuster movie Breakthrough.. [18], Metz performed "I'm Standing With You" from the film's soundtrack at the 54th Academy of Country Music Awards alongside Carrie Underwood, Lauren Alaina, Maddie & Tae and Mickey Guyton. is a fabulous retro-themed wine bar and lounge with a tiny secret vintage boutique, housed in an historic Woolloongabba building. He is now 19 years old and since the movie "Breakthrough" was released in April 2019, several things have . So, when you start speaking the Scriptures, Satan stops hearing evil and starts hearing Gods voice. BREAKTHROUGH (04/25/19) Breakthrough follows the true story of fourteen-year-old John Smith, who miraculously showed signs of life after falling into a frozen lake and drowning. .switcher .option a:hover {background:#748393;} They were preparing to give another kid his heart. Credit: Golden Village Cinemas. Why is John Smith always used? [5][6], The film tells the story of a St. Louis teenager who slipped through an icy lake on January 19, 2015 and was underwater for 15 minutes before resuscitative efforts were started. [19], Last edited on 26 February 2023, at 09:22, acquisition of 21st Century Fox by Disney, "Catching Up With Roxann Dawson On Her Feature-Film Directing Debut, 'Breakthrough'work=BlackFilm", "Stephen Curry to Executive Produce Faith-Based Drama 'Breakthrough' (Exclusive)", "Why religious movies like 'Breakthrough' are attracting non-believers", "Missouri Teen Submerged in Icy Lake for 15 Minutes Makes 'Miracle' Recovery", "Box Office Preview: Disney-Fox Era Begins With 'Breakthrough', "The Curse of La Llorona is a Crying Shame", "Faith-Based Movie BREAKTHROUGH Nominated For Oscar For Achievement In Original Song", "Fox & DeVon Franklin Set Miracle Tale 'The Impossible', "I am heading home after 4 months in Winnipeg shooting my first feature. The image was published on Smiths map of New England, which was created in 1616 after Smith explored New England for the first time. Then check out a demonstration of how to get out of the water after falling through the ice. -CBN. Garrett agrees. Breakthroughs Josh Lucas: This Story Gave Me Goosebumps, The Real People Behind the Breakthrough Miracle Story. Legal Statement. Who is the voice of the chief in Pocahontas? Starring Chrissy Metz, Josh Lucas, Topher Grace, Copyright 2023 HistoryvsHollywood.com, CTF Media, John and Joyce Smith Interviews & Related Videos, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. The crews had to use sandbags to keep Ruiz from floating when they dropped the hospital bed in the water. There are a lot of prayers that people dont pray, because they talk themselves out of praying, they dont think it can happen. The surname Smith is particularly prevalent among those of English, Scottish, and Irish descent, but is also a common surname among African Americans, which can be attributed either to black slaves having been given the surname of their masters, or to being an occupational name, as some southern American black people . This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. "No spontaneous respirations. Thanks to the Acting. I don't wanna die!'" It would be totally crackers and I can't imagine the British people want to see millions of extra . So, for John's brain to have gotten cold to be protected from the lack of blood flow and the lack of oxygen really is a miracle in itself, if that did anything here." A Home Office source said: 'We obviously couldn't sustain these numbers of people coming in. HILLSONG UNITED TOUR SPONSORS OVER 100G KIDS THROUGH COMPASSION. He plans attend North Central University Minneapolis. No heart tones. Celebs Wiki John Smith fans also viewed: Pawel Lewicki After being rescued from the frigid waters, John was rushed to a local hospital, where, with no pulse for. "We could still step on it, but it was startin' to give way and water was going on top of it," recalled John. Gordon Tootoosis acted as Chief Powhatan in Pocahontas: The Legend (1995). After time and a lot of prayer and mentoring, I eventually saw that God is the only way to get through something like this., In the years since, Smith has traveled around the country to speak to young people and plans to attend a Christian college in Minnesota in the fall, but hes also a typical high schooler, adds the teen, who also coaches youth basketball. I remembered in church all my life hearing this scripture that says, The Holy Spirit will raise Christ Jesus from the dead.'. The next day it was in the mid-50s and the ice had melted some. Thinking it is his chief, he tries again, and manages to lift John to the surface. Its not something you can grow. He hears his mother's voice and opens his eyes, with full cognitive ability. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. It was so serious, and we took a group of pastors into the room and we just started praying for him," Noble said. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Our Breakthrough fact check confirms that John Smith was under water for approximately 15 minutes before rescuers, including Tommy Shine, found him on the rocky bottom of the lake and pulled him to the surface. His mother. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Something we didnt find out until after we had written the book was that the charge nurse there, said, When you walked into the room there was something else that walked into the room with you. Joyce, now 68, began praying loudly over her sons body. Chrissy Metz, of NBCs This Is Us fame, portrayed Johns mother in the movie. "Breakthrough" opens in theaters on April 17 and is based on Joyce's book, "The Impossible. 'Breakthrough' will be released in theatres in April 2019. The doctor approached Joyce and told her she could go up and talk to her son to say her goodbyes. John Smith was a slender and muscular young man who had fair skin, shoulder-length light blond hair with fringes on each side, and blue eyes. Plus, there is a lot of newfound fame since the film. Dive deeper into the true story behind Breakthrough by watching an interview with mother and son Joyce and John Smith. Four years later, the story of his recovery after his heart stopped beating for 43 minutes was been made into a movie, Breakthrough. Here is a look back at our original reporting on that story. Posted by July 3, 2022 peter haskell journalist voice on how old is john smith from breakthrough July 3, 2022 peter haskell journalist voice on how old is john smith from breakthrough George was a yeoman farmer who owned land in Lincolnshire and also rented land from Lord Willoughby, his landlord and relation by marriage. John's friend Joshua Sander managed to pull himself out. Joyce: One of the Scriptures that we held onto is The power of life and death is in the tongue. I dont mean someone should say, I won a million dollars and its going to show up, Im not talking about that. The Breakthrough true story reveals that the temperature had risen to close to 60 degrees that day and the ice on Lake Sainte Louise (near St. Louis, Missouri) had started to melt. It gave me goosebumps.". Doctor Garrett (Dennis Haysbert) tells the family this in the movie and it lines up with the Breakthrough true story. In the movie, Josh's sister Jamie is not present at the lake. -FOX 11, Yes. 19 years old U.S.Goalkeeper Gets Ready for World Cup Soccer: Superstar Tim Howard Written by Henry Ortlip When it comes to protecting the Treasure hunting and adventure, Finding Ohana is full of family fun and reminiscent of the cult-classic Goonies. -CBN. Careers Workplace and Religion Columnists, Recreation Outdoors and Religion Columnists, Religious Music and Entertainment Columnists, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. [10] The Easter weekend it was released had the lowest box office receipts since 2005, because studios chose to avoid any major release during that period so as not to compete with Disney's release of Avengers: Endgame the following weekend. . John, who wasn't a Christian when he fell through the ice and miraculously survived, said he eventually received a call from God to become a pastor after his mother's prayers seemingly brought him back to life. Like in the movie, the doctors were in disbelief and called it a miracle. John is declared dead, Joyce prays, and John . "It gave me goosebumps." ", NEBRASKA MAN SAYS MIRACULOUS RECOVERY AFTER BEING DECLARED BRAIN DEAD IS 'PROOF' OF GOD. We'd just won a basketball game, so we were just going to have a good time, but we weren't expecting that [with] one wrong move, we would be all one second away from dying." John Smith was just 14 years old when he fell through an icy Missouri lake in 2015. [4] The film was written by Grant Nieporte, based on the Christian book, The Impossible, an account of true events written by Joyce Smith with Ginger Kolbaba. John reconciles his survival with a renewed sense of purpose in his life and rebuilds his relationships with those he had been alienating. The movie recounts the real-life drama of a Missouri teenager, John Smith, who was messing around on a frozen lake with two friends in 2015 when the ice broke, plunging the boys into the frigid . "Right at an hour with absolutely no life in his body whatsoever," says Dr. Kent Sutterer, the doctor who was working in the ER the day that John was brought into SSM St. Joseph West Hospital. But instead of saying goodbye, the Holy Spirit rose up in her giving her the boldness to ask God to bring him back. Im more solo that day because Im reflecting," he said. 48.4k Followers, 368 Following, 74 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from John Allen Smith (@johnasmith25) johnasmith25. The image of Captain John Smith that most people are familiar with is from the Disney animated movie Pocahontas where Smith is depicted as a tall, handsome blond man who fell in love with a beautiful Indian Princess named Pocahontas. In the winter of 2015, the lakes of Missouri had been frozen over, leaving frigidly cold water underneath the thin ice. As John fights for his life, his mother, Joyce, endures a test of faith as she hopes for God to restore h. And when it didn't wear off, John realized it really was God speaking to him. John: Regarding my family, its brought everybody closer. As for Breakthrough, even more success was recently announced for the film. The addictive track, which features both the Biebs and Danish sensation M, is made even more irresistible by Robinson and Hodges choreo, as brought to vibrant life by dancers Sara Bivens, Helen Gedlu, Jaylene Mendoza and Andranita Smith-Shannon. "It was one of my favorite scenes," Ruiz said. Plus, John said he continues to share his story as an example of faith and Gods amazing power. Not only was John revived but he made a full recoverydespite initial multiple organ failure and little to no neurological functionthat stunned doctors and led his deeply religious family and community to credit the power of faith and prayer. A hour later, however, the basketball-loving 14-year-old was miraculously revived through the power of prayer" The True Story of 'Breakthrough' John Smith, an adopted boy from Guatemala, is a living, breathing, walking miracle and his unbelievable true story is going to the big screen April 17 in the 20th Century faith-based film, Breakthrough. John was 14 years old when he fell through the ice in a Missouri lake. "It was as if the Holy Spirit walked through the door and started John's heart back up,"Sutterer said. Yes. But that didn't deter Joyce, a devout Christian who prayed and prayed for her son's life. Smith, along with his mother, Joyce Smith, were keynote speakers at the 59th Annual Minnesota Prayer Breakfast on April 25. Suddenly, the ice cracked beneath them and the three boys plunged deep into the sub-zero water. Later, John and his friends Josh and Reiger go out onto a frozen lake, ignoring a neighbor's warning. It's Believable . "You don't expect to be in that situation," John Smith said. "She came on in here, walked in, sat down, and yelled out, 'Come Holy Spirit!' At just 14-years-old, John Smith fell through the ice and was without a pulse for almost an hour, yet made a full recovery through the power of prayer. Hes in class all week but every weekend John travels to churches and high schools across the country telling the story of his death and what his mother calls his resurrection.. I had to deal with answering the question of Why me? All Rights Reserved. -Cincinnati.com, "I see three 14-year-old boys who were being dumb on the ice and that fell through, and that the Lord saved us," says John. Explore the world's faith through different perspectives on religion and spirituality! 19 years old John fully recovered and was released from the hospital 16 days after the accident. John Smith was an English explorer, soldier and writer best known for his role in establishing the first permanent English colony in the New World at Jamestown, Virginia. In this fact-based drama, 14-year-old John Smith falls through a frozen lake and is pronounced dead after 27 minutes of CPR fail to revive him. "I'm just excited to see how 'Breakthrough' is going to change the world. What did you guys feel when that mother prayed for her son? And the other nurse said, Well, what did you feel? You know, nobody wanted to come out and say it first, and so finally they all agreed that theyd never had anything like that happen. Before the accident, I had a lot of issues, says Smith, 18, who was adopted as an infant from Guatemala by his parents Joyce, a homemaker, and Brian, 65, a retired journalist. Joan Jett, a musician in her 40s, made a name for herself in the 1970s as a pioneering figure in the world of rock music. John: Yeah, we were out on the ice there (celebrating a win), and I got a phone call from my mom, and of course she asked me if I wanted to go play basketball, so of course I said, Yes, lets hit the gym, and what we figured out was I was walking and talking, so as I was on the phone, I wasnt thinking about where I was going, so the farther I went, the thinner the ice got. That was the day my life completely changed and it was never the same after that, John said. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your device and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Join Helping Hand of Home as we Breakthrough into 2022! Does Eerie Photo From Scene of Deadly Crash Show Stairway to Heaven. [14][15] Locations for the 31-day shoot included Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Portage la Prairie. or redistributed. All rights reserved. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. John was in the frigid water for a total of more than 20 minutes. Doctors told us that John wasnt going to live through the night, says Joyce Smith. The modern take Risen Magazine: Parenting is no joke, especially during quarantine. And 40 days from the day that he woke up, he was released from all doctors. Sutterer recommends transferring John to a better equipped hospital, citing Dr. Garrett (Haysbert) as an expert in cases like John's. Smith was rushed to the hospital and had no heartbeat for 55 minutes. Smith, a 14-year-old boy, walked out on a lake in his hometown of St. Charles, Missouri, fell through the ice, stayed under for fifteen minutes before his body was recovered by first responders. Though his heartbeat had returned, John only had brainstem function and his blood oxygen levels were critical. In St. Louis, just about every day I will get recognized. Their experience inspired the new movie Breakthrough, starring This Is Uss Chrissy Metz as Joyce. Boot camps like this are found throughout the country, but they exist in somewhat of a grey zone when it comes to legality and responsibility. The lives people live, decisions they make, and things they accomplish are all woven into the tapestry of history and tell the story of the time period. "We've actually never been in an argument," he told KSDK News. Joyce realizes things are out of her control, so she leaves everything to God. He is now 19 years old and since the movie Breakthrough was released in April 2019, several things have changed for John. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, "Doctors told us that John wasn't going to live through the night," says Joyce Smith. Nothing. His real life inspired the movie Breakthrough. The machines started pinging and signs of life suddenly appeared. John Smith (Ruiz) is a 14-year-old Guatemalan boy raised in Lake St. Louis, Missouri by his adoptive parents, Brian (Lucas) and Joyce Smith (Metz). So, when it happened, God had put her right there, in those studies from the Bible, and all of that stuff. There was a presence there with you. And she said the whole atmosphere of the room changed, even the temperature of the room changed. The lake was about 10 feet deep where John and his two friends went through the ice. John J. Smith House . By ELLEN FUTTERMAN. Okay, lets look at these dates. She goes, I have to know because I know if this is Gods miracle, theres Gods numbers on it.. Miraculously, after an hour without a pulse, his mother Joyce played by Metz prays her son back to life. He is walking out of this place. And thats exactly what he did. He is studying to be a pastor. When 14 yr. old John Smith drowns in an awful accident on a lake, his mother believes that a miracle is coming for him in spite of impossible odds. Written by Heather Thompson April 15, 2019. Marcel Ruiz, the 15-year-old actor who plays John in the film, said he was "nervous" for the scene depicting John's miraculous journey from death to life because of the pinnacle moment. Twentieth Century Fox Before the accident, "I had a lot of issues," says Smith, 18, who was adopted as an infant from Guatemala by his parents Joyce, a homemaker, and Brian, 65, a. [13] The movie was filmed in Manitoba from March to May 2018. She recalls them being cold and grey. But up here in Minnesota, Im pretty incognito, he said. I know Hes had us for 33 years before we even had you, Im going to be okay. That sense of confidence, really, really inspires me to continue to grow in my faith. John was adopted at 5 months old from Mixco, Guatemala. Joyce, you had some pretty amazing faith that God was going to raise John up. His condition continued to improve, and on the tenth day, he was removed from the ventilator and was able to breath on his own. -FOX 11, In researching the Breakthrough true story, we learned that John Smith was without a pulse for about an hour. "The only factors medically that were really in John's favor is that this was a cold-water drowning," said Dr. Jeremy Garrett (portrayed by Dennis Haysbert in the movie). They have power to them. Cast Now, still a teenager, at 19 years of age, Smith has embraced the platform God has given him and is excited about what the future has to hold. John Smith was playing on the frozen Lake Sainte Louise in St Charles, Missouri, with two friends in January 2015. You can find out more and change our default settings with Cookies Settings. America' highlights St. Louis native Phyllis Schlafly and her fight against feminists, Spotify will now make a playlist for your pet. Four years later, the story of his. His mother, Joyce, played by Chrissy Metz from "This Is Us," prayed to God to bring back her son. I just had no doubt that God was going to bring him back. We were saying over here, everything was within a moment. All rights reserved. When her 14-year-old son drowns in a lake, a faithful mother prays for him to come back from the brink of death and be healed. Now, John Smith. Joyce: Sixteen days until he walked out of the hospital, from the time he fell through the water.