SAFE Alert Fraudulent Orishas Sold Online, Honoring Ancestors in the Traditional Lucum Way, How to Learn Santera Studying the Religion. So how does a person find out who their tutelary orisha is? you hate confinement on any level Sign 5: You can experience cold feels (chills) in the area of the Crown and Third Eye chakra, respectively, and you might see either white, red or black orbs and colors in the corner of your eyes. A person's head orisha is not a matter of choice or preference; the tutelary orisha is To have a Bajada Ceremony done is not an easy feat, for youll have to already be in some kind of Orisha community, or have your Orisha Priest. As far as all should be concerned you are under the tutelage and protection of Obatala. Ogun, a warrior Orisha, like all things hot and spicy. KARIOCHA: - Original Botanica Which Orisha Do You Most Identify With? In this article well address some of the misconceptions around the guardian orisha, clarify how a persons tutelary orisha is determined, and why you should or shouldnt know who it is. As people learn about the energies and characteristics of the orishas, along with the concept of orisha head-ownership, they inevitably ask, "What orisha owns my head?". as a male, you enjoy the company of strong women It is said that most of these avatars and enlightened spirits first existed in the etheric realm the realm of the spirits (Orun), and that then they came down into human bodies on the Earth as divine beings (Irunmole). Rituals for overcoming enemies or conflicts are best performed on this day. At this time we are limiting the amount of appointments for this important divination to 10. practical jokes I Grew up in London, mixed background, third generation musician. However, there are times when knowing your head Orisha is critical for balancing various aspects of your life. Outside of animal sacrifice, the most common question I receive about Orisha Tradition is about getting one's head marked, or finding out which orisha has one's head. Ancestral Essence Page, Ancestor Paths One of my favourite books for prayer and healing, http://www.aboutsanteria.com/santeras-blog, Making Ocha, The Build up andPreparations, Blog Spot (past interview) With Santeria Priestess Daniela De Armas, https://oshunschild.com/2016/01/27/i-am-interested-in-following-the-path-of-orisha-what-do-i-do-abou…. A review of the projects that came to London last year. Whatever the scenario is, continue forth with humbleness and respect, but also keep in mind your vital force and temper its very likely that an Orisha that chooses you, will have something (very) similar to yourself. clothes are very important to you November 2018 And by knowing who our Orisha is, we also learn to know ourselves better. February 2020 Along with our Egun are our Spirit Guides. I formed the London Lucumi Choir in 2006 which has performed all over the UK, in major theatres such as the Barbican, the Southbank and Union Chapel, Rich Mix, The British Museum and the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall. Nine colored ribbons or the old fashioned childrens pinwheel toys, which harnest and react to the wind, are also excellent for Oya. When you are about to bite into some strong cheese, be sure to smell it before eating it. As you present each offering, you should tell your Ori the reason for making that particular offering. In the Afro Cuban branch Yemaya (Yemonja) day is Saturday. Ogun could be your guardian Orisha if you: have a profound sense of right and wrong are quick to take offense enjoy physical things prefer small groups to large crowds prefer to "do" rather than talk about doing tend toward a strong physique are attracted to metals prefer the woods or the mountains to the sea or the countryside you have more than your share of headaches and colds. This is an expensive ceremony, and its not something that can be done on a whim, so much is there to be done and explored about the Orishas before you reach the stage for Kariocha. But it's premature to say that the client is the son or daughter of the Orich based only on a routine consulta, especially if it's the first time the client has seen the diviner and a relationship of trust hasn't been built up yet between the two. There are a number of levels of initiation, and the knowledge you gain deepens as well as the commitment . The Orishas are raw living energy and without the help of an initiated Santero(a) it will become a big problem. This goes back to us choosing the orisha who best supports our destiny. emotional sustenance is more important than material objects you enjoy watching the news When you know who your Head Orisha is, you know which energy to turn to for help. Orishas presence is not active just in Yoruba religion, but also they are essential and very present in Santeria, Hoodoo and Diloggun divination practices. Children of Obatal need to take very good care of their heads and should refrain from drinking heavily or taking drugs. movies & theater, functioning within confined environments Once you are certain that you are getting closer to an Orisha, it can be a good time to get a reading from an Elder through a Bajada Ceremony, or to consult your godparents (your living grandparents, or great-grandparents). In fact, this was one of the first things I learned about Orisha Tradition when I was a student at Temple University. I hope that this information was helpful for all those who who have wondered what orisha has their head or even why knowing your head orisha is important. In this expression, the children of Ogun are known to be aggressive and impatient in their shadow disposition. For people in the modern world who are used to making choices and getting their own way, it's a humbling experience to be told that you can't pick the owner of your own head. Oshuns day is Friday. Therefore, the identity of our Orisha is extremely important for us in the religion. Leave the liquid on your hair for several hours overnight. January 2014 Whats his Mystery Age. With the growing awareness of Santeria, people find themselves infatuated with the orishas. December 2018 you are sensual in a quiet rather than overt fashion. Three or more babalawos are used to ensure that the Odu (sacred oracle) that is marked on the opon (the divining tray) is correct and so that the querent can receive as much information as possible about the lessons and taboos of the odu. So, when such an orisha chooses you or is trying to contact/work with you, how would you know? They need time alone and require peace and quiet. He is fate, destiny, choice. Orishas are divine emanations that have been created and sent to Earth in order to help humans achieve their self-fulfillment. For example, when a person finds out they are a child of Obatal they know they usually function best over time and that when they are hurried they are at their least . Even if you are adopted, or were raised in one of the monotheistic religions you will feel called to commune with your ancestors. Doing so will typically set them on the right path to achieving their soul mission. In this case, we would have: 1+7+1+1+1+9+9+4=33, and then do a new sum with the result 3+3=6. Similar to him, you are wise, smart, and intelligent. July 2012 Trips to Cuba now are more and more expensive and if you can afford to go on a regular basis, then consider that economically there will always be an imbalance of power between yourself and those that you choose to guide you. But one of the two claim a more dominant role (claims our head/ crown). Sign 4: You might also hear strange phrases and names, like Ase, Esu, Oba, Ogun, Otin or Yewa (just some of them) that are a certain sign that youre being contacted by an Orisha, or an ancestor of yours who has become an Orisha. Thus, Orishas are seen as intermediaries between the humans and the Olodumare the supreme being that is beyond human perception, and the constructs of time and space, as it is an omnipotent and omnipresent being that created the Universe. Oya Orisha of change, using her sword or machete to bring down and then clear the dead wood to make space for the new. She is also fond of light-colored fruits, wine, beer, rum, or gin. In this video, I explain what a head Orisha is and what it means for an Orisha to have your head. you were a difficult child you have sudden burst of anger If you want to know who to worship and who to work with, its Obatala until it is time for you to find out who your guardian orisha really is. ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2014 santeriachurch.org except where noted otherwise. December 2013 Orishas are deities or spirits in African traditional religions. However, in traditions that believe in two, one spirit governs the head, and the other guards the feet. Because he is the Orisha of metal, there are two particular ebos that refer to his domain. Here is our Aggay shrine at our Church. Orisha: Kind and Loving or Punishing Energies? They guide and influence the power of other spirits in our lives. Others may seek you out for your wisdom. you spend more time than most people deciding what to wear Shango also enjoys spicy foods, so a plate of peppers or a portion of highly seasoned chili would make an excellent offering. Today I found a dead bird in my bulconny just below the window. They may be unknowingly violating certain taboos or otherwise out of alignment. These are legitimate initiations in those religions but are not a traditional part of Santeria Lukum. As people come to know about orishas like Obatala, King of the White Cloth and orisha of wisdom and purity; Yemoja, the orisha of the motherhood who is associated with the seas;and Oshun, the orisha of love, beauty and femininity that many saw honored and evoked in Beyonce's video for her song "Hold Up," more and more Black and Brown people feel drawn to honoring and venerating African gods and goddesses. The day for settling differences. At this point, your head is stabilized, and you begin receiving higher-level spiritual insight and wisdom. Finding a reputable Diviner, either of Ifa or the Dilogun can be a necessary step. If they do, they will ask for a reading. Many may think that Cuba is the Mecca of the Lucumi Faith, however there are definite obstacles and the opening of doors to more tourism, and lack of economic resources has meant that there has been an increase in religious tourism and all that entails. Among many Ifa priests and priestesses in the Yorubaland, the same head Orisha is thought to remain with you throughout your lifetime. people either love or dislike you Ei Ach Iy is a practicing Santera, daughter of Ochn. you love dance and music For the beginning of any long-term project. Hens, guinea hen, quail, and male and female goats are her blood offerings. This is yet another reason why it is best to wait up until the last possible moment to determine the guardian orisha so that there are no dramatic changes that have to be made in the ceremony. Ocha-centric houses will use the diloggn of Eleggua or of the godparents crowning orisha to divine a persons headorisha. Your head Orisha is one of the most important personal deities according to the Ifa religion and other diasporic traditions. received my Ikofafun ( Ifa) and on February 9 2006 I became initiated as a Priestess of Ochun in Luyano, Havana. Everyone in the Santera community celebrates and honors them on their special days. You Will Have A Highly Developed Sense Of: right & wrong Depending upon the circumstances, as many as nine are offered at one time. Yemonja/Olukuns day is Monday. Her name means Mother whose children are fish., you can not stand to be bored Visits to Cuba over the last few years have left me disappointed and confused when I see how the process of Iyaworaje is not respected, in addition to other things. There are only three ways to find out who your Orisha is: diloggun head marking from an Olorisha (preferably an Oriate - this is more than a standard reading), If bajada from Babalawos, or from an Orisha 8. Affiliate Disclaimer:This site contains references and links from various affiliate marketers. The following is taken from a book I once had titled Way of The Orisa.. Instead initiations in Santeria help the person to move forward in their lives, often in specific ways and impart the ach or spiritual power of the Orishas into your life. Those that have made a stand, find themselves outnumbered and follow the general way that things are going. How to Find Out Your Guardian Orisha the Proper Way!JOIN MY PATREON TEAM for private live-streams, private lessons, recipes, money and love hacks, and a 15 minute consultation!https://www.patreon.com/Adunola@AdunolatheoracleThis was created because I see so many going around attesting that they are a child of a particular Orisha, but have not had an official proper ceremony done to determine who their Head Orisha is. New World Santeria believers, on the other hand, generally only work with a handful of them. It looks like the Orisha that matches your personality is Shango. A strong cigar, rum, gin, or beer are highly favored by him a well. have trouble sharing your personal feelings When comes the time for initiation, we are crowned priest or priestess of the dominant of the two. Shangos day is Thursday. Thus, when an Orisha contacts you, it means that you have an important part to play, and an important job to do during your time on Earth, and you are (quite possibly) in the need for spiritual guidance, which is why an Orisha is contacting you. This can be a confusing and foggy process, so its crucial to trust your gut and intuition to guide you on this very unfamiliar path. Along with understanding this, I think it's also important to know that the head-marking ritual is best done when one has decided to work with a priest or priestess within an ile (Yoruba word for house). June 2015 In addition, if you have a problem that needs addressing, or you want to be proactive and involved, and truly walk the path, finding local priests is a more sensible option. A person's head orisha is not a matter of choice or preference; the tutelary orisha is linked to a person's destiny.