No matter how beautiful your actual mailbox may be, its beauty is tainted by the leaning post. Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program. too big too heavy too awkard to reset. Just be certain to tamp down the dirt and soil all around the entire pole and tamp down firmly. Install normally completed in about 10 minutes using only a shovel, hammer, and scissors. . I figure I might have to do that again in a year or 2. Each situation is going to be a little bit different. This 2-part expanding foam comes in lightweight, easy-to-carry, easy-to-use kits. If you are putting this into concrete, try to wedge the bracket between the post and the concrete. It needs to sit between your trunk and the can where the screws extend. The shepherds staff feeders (above), with their more asymmetrical design and H-shaped base, are great poles for one or two light-weight hanging feeders and are fairly easy to move around. The flagpole will be removed from its anchor. Jim has thoroughly braced the haymow as well! Sometimes arranging the hooks directly opposite each other can be helpful in distributing the weight more evenly. But Ill still post about both. Good luck! Snail Mail Alert, Prevent Others from Stealing Your Mail DIY Locking Mailboxes. Adjust Your Wi-Fi Channels. Push the Tree Upright. This is a commercial type of flagpole. Get a good look at the fence, and figure out why it's leaning. But several years ago, I was talking with one of the folks at my local bird store (Mother Natures) and learned that the trick with poles is not to keep pounding on the base of the pole when it tilts. The blogs focus is on backyard bird watching, especially solutions for problems that come up with feeding backyard birds. Loop the band around a sturdy pole/beam at your knee level. Next, slowly pour about a gallon of water into the hole and soak all the way through the dry concrete. To solve the problem, you first need to consider why your pole is tilting. Required fields are marked *. Its a 25 tapered pole 4 at the base and .188 wall tubing. I also like the way they look. I only use these links for products Ive used myself unless specifically noted otherwise. GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Driving around Greensboro you . 533,676) describes a fence post having a foot block with an inclined face that forms a wedge-shaped key seat when inserted into a cylindrical post socket. This is where a really good pole baffle, correctly positioned, can help keep uninvited guests off a feeder. Looking forward to the tin on the roof! Tools needed to do the fence repair. When soil shifts, the pressure of the soil against a wall can cause the wall to lean or bow in, which will result in foundation repairs. Works by spreading the forces of wind and . Constant moving or vibrations can cause the screws to loosen up, resulting in the TV mount leaning forward. If it had been concreted in theres little you can do. The small fees they provide help cover my site costs. ABANDONED -- FAILURE TO RESPOND TO AN OFFICE ACTION. If it's a private pole, would Pacific Power (our power utility) fix it or would they advise us to go through a electrical contractor? 3. . Keep hammering until the ledge is about ground level or you have one foot of the bracket still above the ground. What a pain! https://www.bmkcorporation.com/pr. Wood beams span the barn door opening and reinforce the buggy axle. Here are a few low-impact ideas for keeping your bird feeder poles straight. Step 2: Once they cool down, gently place the lamp with something straight (a wall can be a perfect choice) for support. The U.S. Patent of Chapman (U.S. Pat. (Note: With any of these pole designs, it is obviously important to get the anchor itself into the ground straight so that the pole it holds will be straight.). I used to try and deal with arrant poles by holding the feeder pole straight and banging on the poles foot to press it more firmly into the ground. The service requires full cookie support in order to view this website. They instead have a simple narrow ground stake anchor piece to hold the larger hollow feeder pole in place and straight (see above). A morning's work, at most. I did that once, not again please. There is 3 bags of concrete around the sleeve so I have some digging to do. Slide the tube over the aluminum rib in a way that the end of the rib is just about visible through the hole you just drilled on the copper tube. Its the same one seen in the seventh photo! Every passing year made the already obvious lean all the more evident. Stick the screw in the hole that the pole's stuck in. This city boy had to look up the definition of mow. 4,598,512) teaches a semi-tubular support bracket with a wedge-shaped driving member for reinforcing a post that has rotted below ground level. While the tractor loader did all of the hard work (pushing the structure back into position), a combination of cables and chains were used to RETAIN the progress made. Now take a pair of nuts and bolts and connect the bar with that which was separated as the rib broke and connect the rib with the main support bar of the umbrella. You would think once it's pulled over, if it's not set in concrete you could get it back, or most of the way back, by hand. Steel or aluminum fence is grimy or stained. The fact that your electrical utility ran power to that poles means it passed inspection at the time it was installed. So cement wouldnt be an attractive option for me. I had to tweak the contrast in this photo because David was in shadow. *@ *** Hawthorne CT, Wilmore KY ***** false Add enough tension to the ropes to hold the pole in place. Move Your Router to Another Room. Then place one bracket flush against the post base and hammer in with a small 3-4 lb. I did what you suggested and toured the neighborhood looking at other homes and they all have much thicker poles compared to ours. I truly appreciate your piece of work, Great post. First, you will want to clear away a few inches of debris and dirt surrounding the existing post so that you are able to push the post to an upright standing position. I also touch on bird photography, stories about birds and birding field trips. Drilling hammer. This is the most probable place for the lamp to be loose. Step 3: Remove the Loose Fence Post. No. The cable runs through the barn and emerges at ground level in a doorway at the opposite end. No. Just be certain to tamp down the dirt and soil all around the entire pole and tamp down firmly. He then pounded this long pipe/pole deep into the ground. My husband pounded them deep into the ground for me. Dig a little deeper on the sides under and opposite the post's lean. The corner chain (seen in the previous photo) is connected to the cable (barely seen at right) passing through the wall where siding is missing. Yes, this is the same West end we saw previously! #2. just straighten and tamp with foot. Thanks for sharing this. Step 2: Examine the floor lamp to find the loosened part. If you have two basketball pole sections stuck together you can also: 1. I am looking for help for my barn. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Jones is considered by many fans as the greatest fighter of all time and a win could cement that status. Sam and Jim watch as David applies pressure to the other corner. That is really fun. I simply set it about 18" deep in concrete, having drilled holes in the right places to feed the wiring through. and our Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. What's my best bet for dealing with this? I'd start by calling the power company, most of the time utilities will come out for an inspection for free if it's a safety issue. The U.S. Patent of Singley (U.S. Pat. In addition to the cable passing through the center of the barn, Jim has attached chains and cables to each corner. Use an empty container to put the cement and the pole. Home Bird Feeders, Baffles & Poles Poles Stop Bird Feeder Pole Leaning. If I was to anchor it myself, what type of cable would I use? Make sure the mailbox post stands up straight, and tread on the dirt to pack it down. Interestingly (to me anyway), anything in my yard that leans tends to do it in the same direction (east). Obviously the flag raising hardware would change orientation unless it can be adjusted. Once the wood is in place, tighten the screws. Altogether, not a bad smell at all. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. The service requires full cookie support in order to view this website. Of the poles I have, these seem the most stable. Are these poles difficult to find? Do this by gently touching and wiggling the different parts of the lamp. Barns are indeed special places. and ratchets the come-along as slack is created. There's a lot of anti-white (not to mention anti-Asian) discrimination among black people. Do you sell the EZ Mender, or would you be interested in an alternative method of repair? How do you keep bird feeder and birdbath poles straight? Attach ratcheting cable hoists to the screw eye and the stake across from it. He took an old length of copper pipe and used a mallet to force one vertical leg of the H (the part that goes in the ground) into the pipe. My husband Jim did this with one of my shepherds staff poles. It truly works! Pack the soil firmly around the roots and attach two or three guy wires to the tree, anchoring them about 12 feet (3.5 m.) from the trunk. Use a brush for even application. The poles that hold your bird feeder or even your birdbath can develop a lean for more than one reason. LOL), Yet another obvious option to keep your feeder pole straight might be to cement the pole in place. I have a floor lamp that comes in sections that you twist to screw together. You can also subscribe without commenting. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. The "Fusion" paints from Krylon come to mind.. Please enable JavaScript on your browser and try again. 2-" Exterior wood screws. Im in Dayton, Ohio and really want to preserve this barn since it was built around 1919. Then place one bracket flush against the post base and hammer in with a small 3-4 lb. This approach can actually make a surprising difference. Please Note: My blog includes some Amazon affiliate links. This task is easily accomplished using a simple product called the E-Z Mender. No. Photo courtesy of Diana. www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. All content of this site is copyrighted Nancie Waterman 2013-2022 unless credited to someone else (who probably then has copyright on it.) 1. The pole itself then slides up and over the ground stake. Me, I'd dig it out on the side it needs to go to, then push by hand. Nevertheless, it may be loose in another place. For instance, if the pool base is 12 feet, make the boards 14 feet. (I dont currently have a picture of the H-shaped base, but you can check them out on Ervas websites Premium Shepherds Staffs page. I don't have any suggestions for straightening your pole, but this might help you get it out of the ground an old fashioned ratchet jack. Enable Quality of Service Rules. On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:15:05 +0000, Lin posted for all of us to digest Use a Lug-All hoist to pull it into position, way more precise than using a car. Step 5. In my yard, this is the biggest factor in whether a pole leans. I am one of those useless sorts who replaces their timing belt and thinks they moved a mountain, so I could use all the ideas/input I could get. To fix our leaning light post I leaned my body weight into it until straight, then partner inserted two solid wood doorstops in gap and hammered them flush into the ground. You just have that little insulator screwed into your pole. Step 3: Fitting steel angles. Don't subscribe It's got your typical light on ametal Hi, I've got an outside light that has a small 1/4-1/2 inch dia. Then, manually push the tree straight and upright, applying even pressure along the trunk. Your email address will not be published. . Update Your DNS Servers. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The chain links were about 3/8 in diameter. However, you may find that using only one bracket will suffice, depending on your post and the ground conditions. Is there a way I can fix these threads at home instead of throwing the whole lamp out? Wrap a chain or nylon strap tightly around the lower end of the post and over the hook on the jack. Well done! If you do the work yourself, there will be numerous pipes and wires underground that connect from the pole to the trailer. Love the doors that are working now and it was so easy to get my sick calves in the head gate and give them a shot! 2 Straightening a Leaning Post Set in the Soil. Who do I contact about one of our trees leaning towards the power line from the storm last night, not touching the lines yet, but it is close, and the the ground around the trunk is beginning to break up as if the wind started to uproot it. Sorry. It is prevalent in articulating TV mounts, especially if the mounts are continuously adjusted. While not perfectly plumb, the barn is much less contorted than it had been previously. Be careful though if the lamp is powered. It really like, and it went a little . Keep in mind that rain and snow can add weight to a feeder, especially open platform type feeders. 24 piece of wood - (one that is long enough (approx 6") to prop against the fence post to sturdy and straighten it in preparation for hammering in the stakes). We are always interested in new DIY mailbox repair ideas! A pair of large stones nestled up to either side of the poles base keeps this pole upright (photo below.). The barn quilts are becoming even more torqued! Step 3. A set of two or more wedge-shaped braces are used to straighten and support a leaning pole or post, such as a utility pole that has been impacted by a vehicle or a storm. I'm not sure how solid it is, but it will definitely fall on the electric lines when it does go down. To prevent such a disaster from occurring, place warning tape around the structure to warn passersby of its fragility and schedule a pole repair . Rather than using it to pull the pole out of the ground, rotate it in a useful direction, attach a line from the top of the bend to a stake, tree, or other anchor, and use that to straighten it, using a winch, fence puller, turn buckle, whatever. Many cases of TVs leaning forward are caused simply by loosened fasteners. I don't think my mother can afford to have it professionally replaced. Lyrics Demon Party - YoungBoy Never Broke Again. www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. As the pole/post comes upright, a second brace is driven into the trailing side of the hole, so that the two braces hold the pole/post upright and fill the voids on either side between the pole/post and the sides of the hole. West side. The downside is that it is a pain to get out of the ground again, so you really want to be sure of your location before you hack a poles foot in this way. In this post, our focus is on leaning garage, its causes, and how to fix them. Like I said above, if the sleeve in the ground is tilted and the bole is bent, if you can get a good grip on the bottom of the pole and turn it 180 in the sleeve the bend and the tilt may just cancel out and be straight enough. .pretty darn cool. Give it some outdoor time where it can get a breeze, 3. 6,343,446) describes a tubular sign post anchor with rectangular projecting fins. Here, however, the wedge has the function simply of enabling the post to be more easily driven into the ground. Level the mailbox post and fill the hole with dirt. This will work regardless if your post is set in concrete, gravel, or dirt. Every storm involving high winds awakened . Two Erva Shepherds Staff Poles and Erva Four-Arm Pole, Platform Feeders Mounted on Poles With a Deep Ground Anchor, Four-Arm Pole Secured With Augur-Style Ground Anchor, Shepherds Staff Poles with H-Shaped Base with a Horizontal Triangular Blade, Erva Twister Ground Anchor, Pole Top, Pole, Arms (Four-Arm Pole), Erva Pole, Baffle, Ground Anchor and Mounting Base, Three Identical Suet Feeders Distribute the Weight Equally on the Pole, Feeder Weight is Distributed Around the Four Arms of the Pole, My Backyard Leans Toward the Back Center Right of This Photo, Compacting the Soil Around Bird Feeder Pole. To solve the problem, you first need to consider why your pole is tilting. How firm is the soil? There is a very large tree leaning against one of your lines at the intersection of **th St. and Avenue H in Houston zip is *****. . It has nothin' to do with them, or, I'm not botherin' anyone. Its a beautiful pin and post barn. The vehicle has done minor mileage and hours, having spent most of its life in storage, hence track, road wheel and sprocket wear is . The Southeast corners brace. This place was clearly loved when built just as it is now. Open the crank housing by sliding the rings away at the top and bottom of the housing or removing the screws that hold the housing together. 2. After having a series of wood posts rot out over the years, I got an aluminum one. Move Wi-Fi Blocking Decor. Please enable cookies on your browser and try again. I participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you use an affiliate link on my site to go to Amazon and make a purchase within 24 hours, I earn a small fee which helps offset blog related costs. In a perfect world, you would simply insert the pole upright into the ground and call it a day. Polecrete Stabilizer lets you set or straighten any pole without hauling crushed rock, pouring concrete or tamping soil. Also if the pipe is off vertical the pole may be rotated back to vertical. Remove as much soil as possible from under the exposed roots and gently straighten the tree. There was no use in putting a new roof on a collapsing barn; it had to be righted and stabilized first. I don't think it is set in concrete. Timing between winter and wet mt be a factor. Use a hammer to lightly tap the pencil until it is flush with the pole. I have a barn with a broken cross beam that holds up the floor joyes and a wall starting to move. If you have been reading my blog, you know that I tend to move things around. 'Cause they don't know me. The are six pre-drilled holes in the bracket for this purpose. My shepherds hook poles are dual-top poles (with two curved arms at the top.) I had sleeved it into the ground but cant pull out of the sleeve at this point. Stick the screw in the hole that the pole's stuck in. The vertical section of the brace should be flush against the post. This flagpole has fallen out of alignment. This foundation tube shoudl be about four (4) times the height of the total length. https://architecturalobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Clip68-1.m4v. Bolt it on the other front of the pole. Ditch the Wi-Fi for Ethernet. That trailer is too close to the pole to guy straight back. Insert the Mailbox Post into the Ground. But even with this extra blade on the bottom, I find these poles are more likely to lean than than the other two types. I will (Turn me up DeSean) I got a song to tell right now, um. Raise Your Router Up High. the threads on one section have become stripped and the sections no longer stay together. Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/9i3XZ, You answered your own question: the service line is pulling the pole, and thus it needs to be guyed and anchored back in the opposite direction. Not sure of flag "etiquette" but once the pole is out could some of the pole be cut off then re-install the pole vertically? Depending on those results I might just dig out the one side of the concrete make the pole look plumb and add concrete to the side that I tilted. I like that this design also lets me hang more feeders on a single pole. This is yet one more incentive (beyond not leaving wet seed to mold) to clear snow and/or wet seed out of feeders after a storm. This will allow the footing to move . They seem to be a standard diameter to fit the light on the top. I'd much rather NOT deal with the block of concrete. The cable, if I remember correctly, was about 1/4 in diameter. I thought it was the sleeve that was leaning over. Replies to my comments You have mentioned very interesting points! I know there is torque and other things I am not thinking of. (I think I heard one of them say Mooooove it!). When Leaning or Bowing Walls Need to be Straightened. The present invention relates to the general field of devices and/or methods used to install and support poles or posts in the ground, and more particularly to devices and/or methods for straightening a leaning pole/post and stabilizing and supporting it in an upright position after it has been straightened. It may be caused by too many close calls with the snow plow, soil erosion, post rot, or just an improper installation. 2023 DIY Mailboxes  TOS & Privacy Policy. You may find it easier to place a short 24 or wood block on the ledge to increase the amount of surface area. The pole can thereby be supported in the upright position without backfilling the hole with soil or stone. The wood should hold your tree in place and keep it from leaning to one side. After a few weeks of rest, the barn is tackled again. The barn had tilted so much that it was impossible for the doors to operate. chief Allen Chwalek. I asked him if it was fun to push the barn into place and he just laughed and enthusiastically said Yes!. ), I purchased the Erva four-arm pole (photo above) from my local bird store (Mother Natures). Find Out When Your Mail Arrives, Your mail has been delivered! The poles that hold your bird feeder or even your birdbath can develop a lean for more than one reason. Each of these poles is sturdy, well-made, lasts for many years and is something I would recommend. This can be especially important if you are looking to sell your house in the near future as the mailbox is usually noticed right way. They are here aligned with the horizontal siding and will later serve as a barometer of just how much the building was adjusted. Flag Center understands this problem and is able to fix it for you. If this fits you, read on for methods on how to fix a leaning mailbox post without digging or using concrete. Cant wait to get some more junk cleared out and make it gorgeous again!! an inclined flat rectangular front face, a flat rectangular back face, a flat rectangular base, wherein each brace has a length in the range of 1 to 3 feet, and wherein the vertex angle of each brace is in the range of 5 to 20 degrees; and, wherein the two or more braces are sequentially insertable around the circumference of. 905,794) discloses a method of forming a concrete base for a fence post, in which wedge-shaped filling pieces are inserted between the post and the wet cement to prevent the cement from cracking due to swelling of the wood as it absorbs water from the wet cement. (In the photo above, I am using a bit of scrap wood and a mallet to compact the soil around the pole.). Insert the post into the hole and add soil to keep it in place. The length of the brace is in the range of 1 to 3 feet, depending on the size of the pole/post to be straightened, with base dimensions of 3 to 6 inches by 6 to 10 inches. You may need to have a friend hold the bracket in place. But is heavyweight too much of a jump for the American? Another option is to extend the pole deeper into the ground. It is instead the ground around the pole that yields. If you notice a leaning utility pole nearby, you should contact the company that owns the pole. A first brace is inserted and driven down on the side of the hole toward which the pole is leaning, until the pole is restored to an upright position. Make sure it's getting enough light (checking the distance between new leaves may help you determine this), 2. www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. The post light in my yard has started getting loose and leaning. On the other hand, the Erva Premium Shepherds Staff poles in my yard instead have an H-shaped base where the Hs vertical legs go into the ground. We only recommend products that we feel are quality-made and that we buy ourselves (see the reviews on Amazon). Even a good design can hit up against where you are putting it and what you are hanging or mounting on it. Watch a crew from Entergy quickly and easily straighten a leaning utility pole with Polecrete Stabilizer from BMK Products. Therefore, the detailed descriptions of these embodiments are offered for illustrative and exemplary purposes only, and they are not intended to limit the scope either of the foregoing summary description or of the claims which follow. (The four-arm pole and the Studio-M birdbath have augur-style twister pieces at the base that screw into the ground. I temporarily stuck some wood stakes in to hold it up but that's clearly not a permanent fix. The method of righting a leaning pole or pole is to pull the pole/post back away from the leading side of the hole toward which it's leaning Then a first brace is driven into the leading side of the hole with either of its longer sides against the side of the pole/post, depending on the slope and configuration of the hole. I cant believe you are taking time out from your vacation to look at my blog it will still be here when you get back! But pole design only goes so far in real life. Thanks for documenting all this on my barn! Nothing looks rotten, at least to me. Photo courtesy of Diana. (Note: As you can see in the above photo, I added an extra optional arm to the dual shepherds hook pole above to let me hang three upside-down suet feeders from it.). Drilling again will make sure the hole is created again even if it was covered by a little margin. I don't remember where I found/bought this one, but I've had it for years and used it frequently to get those T-shaped steel fence posts out of the ground. Put bricks on the base of the hook. Stand the pole upright and use a level to check that the pencil mark is level. Back-fill some of the soil if you used a shovel or spade. replying to post2google, Bentley wrote: I backed the car into mine so now it is leaning a bit. The big end is buried 5'. A set of two or more wedge-shaped braces are used to straighten and support a leaning pole or post, such as a utility pole that has been impacted by a vehicle or a storm. Personally , I'd call your rural electric provider and solicit their help in the matter by feigning "poverty" , etc. The dish is light-weight and shallow, so it doesnt hold a ton of water, but the weight of the full dish still makes the birdbath a bit top-heavy in my sandy soil. You'll have to evaluate the relative "looseness" of the hole as the pole could "lean" towards "Jonses" either right or left rather than moving straight back into the vertical . This device is explicitly designed for use in a rigid, fixed aperture, not a hole with sloping walls deformed by a leaning pole. First, you will want to clear away a few inches of debris and dirt surrounding the existing post so that you are able to push the post to an upright standing position. 36" tube = ~9" form (exclude ground spike). It is in use but I have cleaned the quardrant that needs work. Insert a pencil into the basketball pole's hole at the desired level mark. 2. Will your homeowners ins pay for it? How lucky do you feel? Everyone is curious about whats going on! So these are the tricks I use to keep my feeder poles and birdbaths from leaning. Press J to jump to the feed. So here in Chicago yesterday we had a powerful wind storm come through. Youll hear these girls later on in the video. A second brace is then inserted and driven down on the opposite side of the hole to support the pole in the upright position. But this one had a very simple solution. So your metal post isnt rusted out but is leaning and a bit loose? To fix our leaning light post I leaned my body weight into it until straight, then partner inserted two solid wood doorstops in gap and hammered them flush into the ground. very slight I think its both the sleeve moved and the pole is bent. Bought some Secure Set to set a leaning power pole. It should be noted that the wedges of this invention are used to temporarily create voids between the post and its footing, not to fill them. Hit the bump on the side of the bracket with a mallet to drive it into the ground. My plan was to pull the pole see what it looks like, check the sleeve for plumb. In my front yard, I have a small inexpensive birdbath at the end of a garden bed. My exterior lamp post is straight as a drum, solid and stable. Just mix and pour, and watch the foam expand up to 15 times its original volume and set in just 15 minutes.Key Advantages of Polecrete Stabilizer:+Offers significant time and labor savings+Better holding capacity than transitional backfill solutions+ Prevents damage from ground line wood pole decay+Works well in sand, rock and poor soil conditions+Field proven since 1988+ Classified as non-hazardous material by the EPA and DOT The bracket has an impact ledge on the side for pounding on with your hammer. Debating HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.