I know exactly where to find that demographic, that psychographic, or that particular male 18- to 34-year-old who wants to buy a truck in the West Coast. But theyve just created this gap between where users are, where ears are, literally, and where their investment is. Those companies are also struggling. Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Yeah, youre right. If I want to hear a perpetually adolescent man scream PEE PEE through my speakers there's a ton of YouTube channels I can subscribe to. All I say to them is, This is no longer an experimental bucket of marketing. I dont know that it needs innovation. It has brought in underrepresented creators like nothing else weve done. Do you convert people to Apple Podcast or to Spotify? How do you make sure they get attention? You became the CEO of a formal division thats responsible for podcasts. Were all watching metrics daily inflation rates, interest rates, unemployment rates, the Ukrainian war. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. Eighty million a week is the more interesting stat to me. We make TikToks too, by the way. Theyre just insecure. Burgundy, who has a fountain of knowledge that spans literally every topic imaginable, has signed on for two 12-episode seasons, with the first episode of "The Ron Burgundy Podcast" making its debut on February 7 with subsequent episodes to post each Thursday. As much as I would love this to be the case, there is no way to get real reach in digital audio unless you contend with and purchase broadcast radio. Everybody in this room has worked damn hard for the last 20 years to get to this point. We tried it. Its a great point and question. I also think theres a new thrust in influencer marketing. I have a card here that says NFTs on it. Josh and Chuck have you covered. His team makes some of the biggest podcasts around, with huge talent like Will Ferrell, Shonda Rhimes, and Charlamagne tha God, who youll hear Conal talk about quite a lot. The Ron Burgundy Podcast iHeartRadio The long-promised Ron Burgundy Podcast is finally upon us and the first episode is called " True Crime ." iHeartRadio has been teasing this show with. Ron takes a stab at the most popular genre of his new chosen mediumthe True Crime podcast. Theyll overcomplicate in order to camouflage something they probably shouldnt have done. This is what the audience wants. Terrestrial radio distribution is a thing that were all very familiar with. Thats right. All of us do this, including myself. Weve dabbled in subscription channels on Apple Podcasts, just because I had creators who came to us and said, Id like to try this. We are very proud of this. Yes. Movies. He was a great guest, super game to answer the questions, especially in front of a live audience. Whereas other big podcasting players like Spotify and Apple have tried to boost revenue through subscriptions or platform exclusivity, Conal shunned those approaches and said hes going for big audience reach, made possible in part by his ability to run ads and even shows on iHearts huge network of traditional radio stations. Ron and Carolina interview an actual, real live psychic after Ron gives listeners their horoscopes. Into the whole thing? Everything, I promise you, is simpler than you think. You talk about that long tail content, this has borne out some of the most amazing stuff weve made. A bonus episode that somehow escaped the vault. The short answer is, no, were growing. You have a distribution model that is free. One is called the multi-platform group. We saw a shift from performance marketers or direct-response marketers into bigger brands thanks to ad tech evolving fast in podcasting. So its a bit of an answer, but hopefully it gives you a sense of how its never mutually exclusive for us. There is no moment where theyre surprised a month or two later that such-and-such advertiser has been underwriting their entire slate and they hate that brand, or something like that. We dont care. At the iHeart Network, we have about 70-ish shows in the iHeart Podcast Network that drive over one million monthly downloads or more some of them way more. Thats what it sounds like. In true Ron Burgundy fashion, these conversations have a tendency to go off the rails, and we find out things about people we never knew we wanted to know. I dont think this is wishful thinking. WARNING: This episode was haunted by a ghost. We all know what a YouTube video is, because YouTube has designed the constraints of the platform to produce that thing. Coming February 7th, The Ron Burgundy Podcast takes a long hard look at the issues that matter. Abs are sure to get a workout from the contagious humor. You own the radio stations and you program them. Its why those guys initially were the first people to jump into podcasting, because the only kind of marketer that doesnt need your data is a direct response marketer. While some podcasts will make amazing video channels, YouTube channels, Facebook video series, and amazing Netflix series, I worry that it feels like the requirement to sit at the adult table. I can get all three, all the time. 246 episodes totalling 170 hours, 51 minutes. Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Thats really cool, but its not mutually exclusive. Thats actually a podcast we make together thats actually awesome. We used Jun Group. Both are completely okay and actually really perform well. Our partners at Work x Work. And that will lead to conversion for something else for you? Youre doing ad injection into the feed? One San Diego legend joins another for the definitive interview with the San Diego Chicken. If youre a marketer and you hear that third stat, youre like, Wow, a third of all the stuff that people take in is marketing. Weve earned this. The allure backwards to radio is that you have true mass-reach audiences, which I think brings them back. Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack OBrien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike FarahConsulting Producer: Andrew SteeleAssociate Producer: Anna HossniehWriter: Jake FogelnestProduction Supervisor: Colin Ma Ron and guest RuPaul countdown the top 10 women of all time. Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack OBrien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike FarahConsulting Producer: Andrew SteeleAssociate Pro Ron and Carolina take part in a mind expanding interview and meditation session with guru Deepak Chopra. Hes going to start this journey now of trying to get into college. The only reason we have that number is because of broadcast radio marketing. Facebooks interest has grown and waned and grown a bit on podcasts. Not great. We realized that maybe our greatest asset was the people who worked there. That wasnt possible prior. Well, Conal, thank you so much for being on stage, and thank you for answering questions about your org chart. Were going to build the podcast business by running Will Ferrell at you until youre sick of it, because we control that inventory and we control that distribution.. Theyre just audio podcasts and thats awesome. Thats probably how I think about it. Sign up free 0:00 0:00 Company About Jobs For the Record Communities For Artists Developers Advertising Investors Vendors Are you feeling the pinch of the ad downturn? Its three guys who are hilarious and fantastic. Do you think that youre moving the high-margin dollars into the longer tail? This thread is archived Up or down on NFTs? The Ron Burgundy Podcast will launch on the iHeartRadio Podcast Network in early 2019. We run billions of podcast impressions in a month to promote our own shows and our partners shows. i believe, an audio podcast mixed with a live audience, is a not a good mix. And by the way, its not slowing down. Our downloads were 412 million downloads in January, and that was up 12 percent from the month prior. Podcasting is helping us do that, because ts grabbing so much of the oxygen in the room, especially in the last year or two, and now people are like, Oh, wow. Its a way for us at iHeart, candidly, to pull them into audio all-up through podcasting. Yeah. The Ron Burgundy Podcast Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Go follow Decoder on TikTok, its great. YouTube is a good example of this. In true Ron Burgundy fashion, these conversations have a tendency to go off the rails, and we find out things . It was a packed house and a great time. Theres an engineering team that has maybe 100 people at the back end of all of our digital products. I would say its a broad story across digital media that Facebook wants something, everyone is going to make it, then they will turn off of it and all those businesses will go away. What that meant for us was that we were not the main course anymore, as it were. I think some of that is because a lot of the folks who are in power at marketing companies were also in power 10 years ago when the last major downturn happened, and certainly two, three, or four years ago when COVID-19 hit. Its happening. Eighty million Americans a week listen to podcasts. It has resisted this notion that a podcast episode is supposed to be 28 minutes long and have two ad breaks. In true Ron Burgundy fashion, these conversations have a tendency to go off the rails, and we find out things about people we never knew we wanted to know. The truth is, audio all-up is a third of all the media we consume. We need certain things to calm down and other things to end. The toothbrushes were great. On this distribution I make this. All I see is this constructiveness across these two segments. We felt like we were really onto something with podcasting, but we wanted to accelerate it 10 years ahead fast. We started a company with Will Ferrell called Big Money Players. You could also say that you have a division that might be declining and a division that might be growing at a faster rate. When you pay for a subscription on most platforms, and you receive a podcast that somebody else is piping into that platform through an RSS feed, nothing has changed about it. It said, Lets do mega deals. That could be worth it, if a creator is that good, you may want to pay that. Ron Burgundy is going live in the next season of his iHeartMedia podcast. Its redemption codes and URL codes. Theres this adage for anybody that has worked in video. They had seven or eight podcasts that they were making. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. Its just like life. Associate Producers: Anna Hossnieh and Sophie Lichterman. Sometimes they just shuffle it to create change. There was a moment on YouTube, around 2010 or something, where we all realized the same thing. I only say this to you because thats how we do that sale. iHeart does a lot of new things. Ive never seen a medium move from widely distributed, free, high quality, and low to no ad load, move into a paid medium with exactly the same assets. Or this will be a business in and of itself, and thats fine too. Credits: Host, Writer, and Executive Producer: Ron Burgundy Co-host, Writer and Producer: Carolina Barlow Producer: Nick Stumpf Talent Producer: Anna Hossnieh Writers: Andrew Steele and Jake Fogelnest Engineered, Mixed and Edited by Nick Stumpf Learn more about your ad-choi So I dont depend on it, but we have seen some traction there across 10, 12 shows getting optioned and its meaningful, with huge partners in Hollywood. This one was definitely very real. They could have published them on YouTube. Anybody in the room, and most of us do work in podcasting, know that number is harder and harder to get every day. This has made podcasting different. Ron is joined by his ex-girlfriend Doris Kearns Goodwin. I struggle to see something broken with this. We taped this episode live at Hot Pod Summit. Every single question is about org charts. Join Americas favorite Anchorman, continuing to delight audiences with the comical musings of Ron Burgundy and leave them wanting more! Its that whole waterfall versus agile thing. This has made direct response brands lives a little harder, because now theres a lot of competition for their best-kept secret in marketing for like five or 10 years. I make content. The medium. Yes, theres some Apple chaos in the mix, but Google, Facebook, Amazon which secretly has a gigantic advertising operation are all hurting. I think that its okay to innovate over here, and with the direct response folks, they innovate in their own way. I will say one more thing. We love talking about movies, tv shows, and everyth. This may be debatable, and may feel like an affront to a lot of folks in the room who live and breathe podcasting as an original medium. But I have learned firsthand and talked a lot about the extent to which broadcast radio talent has honed this craft of conversation over the last hundred years and certainly the last few decades, and the extent to which that has driven our medium, just sheer talent hitting the medium, but also with an awareness of the medium. We obviously have a podcast team, run by the president of the iHeart Podcast Network, Will Pearson. The Ron Burgundy Podcast A weekly Comedy, Society and Culture podcast featuring Will Ferrell and Carolina Barlow 22 people rated this podcast About Insights Pro Episodes 83 Reviews 11 Creators 15 Lists 9 Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Ron, a big fan of magic, gets to hear from the famed magician Justin Willman. Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive Producer. There are huge, great ad agencies like Ad Results, Veritone, and Oxford Road who do great business for performance marketing companies. And Im actually saying they should also buy broadcast radio, and Im not in the multi-platform group. Were also co-producing a slate of whole new stuff. Ron DeSantis with the nickname "DeSanctimonious" ahead of a likely battle for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination. This was a year ago, and so now hes like, Whatever, dude. You take the point. Ninety-five percent. That is technically a long tail show. I have to say people are very excited to hear from you today. Were a very good partner with creators. It used to be tried and true, my go-to tool, and now it isnt., Audio all-up is a third of all the media we consume.. Simply put, the whole podcast industry in one sense is just the most amazing, best storytelling group of influencers to hit media in a really long time, so we benefit from there being new attention on the influencer market. In The Rob Burgundy Podcast, the host's chaotic charm meets real-world experts and celebrities. We were talking about these giant platform companies. We're not thrilled about it, but the show will launch on the iHeartPodcast Network in early 2019 featuring Burgundy himself. Make more shows, make more great content, and level up the stuff that youre doing.. Theres a sigh of relief from the YouTube people somewhere. In this podcast, Ferrell discusses his opinions on various topics and shares his thoughts from Ron's point of view. Ron explained: We basically built an academy where once a year we grab eight or 10 people.