Related . At 41, Im stronger than I was at 31. They have all been involved in long-term relationships and have had children, but none of them have tied the knot. I'm still trying to process it in a lot of ways. Throughout their careers, Shinedown has demonstrated time and again that they are both talented in the studio and on stage, demonstrating their dedication and commitment to their loved ones. Samuel Gaytan may be reached at 546-6175; sgaytan@elpasotimes.com; @samuelgaytan on Twitter. He can turn that switch on and take himself outside the band and ask what would make this best for the band., Kerch said when asked to take a lead role, Im happy to do it. I got clean for the first time during [Shinedowns 2012 album] Amaryllis. "That's a song about triumph in the darkest moments of your life," Smith explained. But all the guys in SKYNYRD, much love and respect. Fergie: An Icon For The LGBTQ+ Community And One Tree Hill Fans, The Never-Ending Debate: Exploring Franklin Jonas Sexuality And Its Impact, Is The Navy Ready To Be Gay Friendly An In-Depth Look At The Navys LGBT Policies, Mariah From Sister Wives: Breaking Down Stereotypes About Polygamy And Sexuality, Is Fred Gay? Hes got bylines in The Guardian, The Telegraph, NME, Guitar and many others, too. - The widow of Ronnie Van Zant, the late lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd, has confirmed to News4JAX that his final resting place has been moved to a new location in the same cemetery. SHINEDOWN recorded a cover of "Simple Man" in 2004 as an acoustic "thank you" to LYNYRD SKYNYRD singer Ronnie Van Zant's widow Judy Van Zant and later included it in both acoustic and hard rock versions on the re-release of the band's debut album, "Leave A Whisper". So good! I lost 70 lbs and relearned how to eat and exercise, but then, after getting home, being domesticated was something I didnt know how to do. The band is composed of lead vocalist Brent Smith, bassist Eric Bass, guitarist Zach Myers and drummer Barry Kerch. This turned out way better than I couldve hoped. All rights reserved. Since then, Matts become a regular in Prog and Metal Hammer, at his happiest when interviewing the most forward-thinking artists heavy music can muster. Im like, absolutely not. And Bass mother and sisters sing on the song. Since I cant recall what I did last weekend, the fact that Brent could tell me so much about every track is that much more impressive to me. The song got posted on the stations Web site, where listeners downloaded the song some 500,000 times. The rocker is engaged to Van Zant's daughter, Melody, and the two will marry in October. Nov 29: Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham Once you're logged in, you will be able to comment. Nature, in particular the sea brings me great comfort. According to the police report, Todd admitted to taking Xanax earlier in the evening. Louder is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. 2 brothers: Johnny Van Zant and Donnie Van Zant. Ive done so many interviews where people were like, Oh, they got signed because of Skynyrd, Shinedown singer Brent Smith said in a recent interview. Youre blessed to have life and all these opportunities. He said: "Our original guitar player, Jasin Todd, was married to Melody Van Zant [Ronnie Van Zant's daughter]. The way we did the song and how it happened was very organic. Brickyard Road is where Ronnie, his wife Judy, and his daughter Melody lived when he was killed on October 20,1977. Shinedowns version of Lynyrd Skynyrds Simple Man is an emotionally powerful cover. Smith previously spoke about how SHINEDOWN's cover of "Simple Man" came about in an interview with Metal Hammer magazine. Todd then looked at the officer and ran. Follow. He tells me about working with famed music theorist, Rick Beato. If he ever had to, he said, I dont know what I would do. SHINEDOWN's Brent Smith joined LYNYRD SKYNYRD on stage on November 13 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee to perform the classic LYNYRD SKYNYRD song "Simple Man". Had 2 daughters: Tammy and Melody. Speaking to U.K.'s Rock Sound about the experience of "Simple Man" with LYNYRD SKYNYRD, Brent said: "It was extremely moving and a very special moment for me. Musician/band. It had been downloaded over 500,000 times! I like school. I was really given a one-in-a-million (second) shot.. It is rumored that Todd joined a hard rock band called Soil but the. It was signed for nine months and then I was dropped and then I was signed two weeks later to a development deal (with Atlantic). That was the first song we recorded for this record.. The officer ordered Jasin to stop. Brent Smith, lead singer of the rock band Shinedown, has an estimated net worth of $6 million. When we did Breaking Inside together back in the day, she already knew her verse and what she was going to do, and came in and knocked it out of the park. Throughout their careers, Shinedown has demonstrated time and again that they are both talented in the studio and on stage, demonstrating their dedication and commitment to their loved ones. The album debuted in the Top 5 on the Billboard 200 chart and the official U.K. albums chart, and at No. The ominous tone is heightened by the chorus "Staring down the barrel of a .45." That makes him more comfortable to work with, Kerch said. Shinedown guitarist Jasin Todd is married to Melody Van Zant, the daughter of Ronnie Van Zant, the original lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd, who died in the 1977 plane crash that also claimed the life of Skynyrd guitarist Steve Gaines. The Bird Sings So Pretty !!! Rock and roll is dangerous and its dangerous because people took risks., He said the Beatles and Elvis were dangerous because they were doing what other people werent doing., He finds inspiration in them, saying, We want to be on the forefront of that as well.. At the suggestion of Atlantic A&R representative Steve Robertson, Smith relocated to Jacksonville where one by one he met the other future bandmates Todd, bassist Brad Stewart and drummer Barry Kerch. After we started touring, we played 'Simple Man' on a radio show in Boston. Jasin Todd is a guitarist and a member of the band Shinedown. He is such a fantastic person that he can help me measure my success on so many levels. As if that wasnt enough of a coincidence, Smith stayed at Ronnie Van Zants wife Judys guest house to finish the Leave A Whisper album. It meant a lot to me. Ultimately, this article will provide an in-depth look at the speculation surrounding the singers sexuality. I put myself in that position: If I were a junkie, what would the song be that I would write to ask for help?, I have been asked more times than I can count, If you only had one song that could encompass what Shinedown is, what would it be? It would be The Sound Of Madness. When I got re-signed by Atlantic and was preparing to leave home, my mum said, I wont pretend to know what this life of music means to you but I know, if you stay here, youll die here., Second Chance is about my mother saying, I dont know what this is, but I want you to show me. Sometimes goodbye is a second chance thats her giving me permission [to leave].. Ronnie passed away when they were recording Shinedowns album. Shinedowns musical exploration can be heard on Evolve, with the drums taking a lead role, seeming to replace the lead guitar in driving the songs tempo when paired with Smiths vocals. Barry Kerch, 41, was born at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., but left Colorado soon after and grew up in Panama City, Fla. When I was writing 'Leave A Whisper', Judy [Van Zant, Ronnie's widow] put me up in her guesthouse, and our first show in front of an audience there to see us was at a club Judy and Melody owned. On June 29 2000, his grave was vandalized, this prompted his family to move his remains to an unknown . Because I am., I wasnt easy to raise: I always had a vision and knew what I wanted to be. From time to time, Im going to get an artist to go over a monumental album in their catalog. View Melody Vanzant results including current phone number, address, relatives, background check report, and property record with Whitepages. Why not give them positive things instead of a bunch of negatives?. Bop Shop: Songs From J-Hope And J. Cole, Daisy Jones & The Six, And More, One trip back to the '70s, another to the future, Deem Spencer Swims Into The Deep End Of His Mind, The New York rapper adds a new layer of introspection and maturity to his trademark jovial teenage anguish with 'AdultSW!M', Diasporic Reflections: Four Black Creatives Making Art Tinged With Legacy, Joshua Renfroe, Kuukua Eshun, Aja Monet, and Mike Abrantie tell MTV News about purpose and perspective in Black communities worldwide, Bop Shop: Songs From Kelela, PinkPantheress And Ice Spice, The Boyz, And More, The boy might be a liar, but the memes simply don't lie, SZA Brings Her Fans On An Emotional Voyage On 'SOS' Tour, In Chicago, the second night of her arena showcase found the singer sailing across a sea of victory, The musician discusses how art about half-human, half-mechatronic beings alongside their gender and racial identities informs their debut album, The Exhibit: Finding the Next Great Artist. In the build-up to his bands November and December UK tour, the singer reflects on the ten songs that mean the most to him and throws in some stories of how he beat his demons. And they did this song so great. Smith said fans can expect to hear the hits from Leave a Whisper along with a healthy cross-section of songs from Us and Them. It was awesome!. This is all I know. After thinking about it a bit, he said hed probably become a chef because he enjoys cooking. Its funny, when Brent was writing it, he had programmed that drum pattern, he said, adding that Smith asked him if he could play it. 298 posts. Melody Van Zant and Jasin Todd got married in the year 2004 and are still together to date. Many music lovers have considered Lynyrd Skynyrd a guiding light through tough times, a friend with open arms when there's no place else to turn for comfort. Even so, Smith insists, the song is one of hope. Reading Between The Lines In The New Scooby-Doo Movie. His interest in music sparked at the age of nine when his mother bought him a guitar from a pawn shop. Fan-filmed video of his appearance can be seen below. I felt like we do the song justice, and it represents us as a band and what we're about. He and vocalist Brent Smith are original members of Shinedown, but he said guitarist Zach Myers and bassistand producer Eric Bass have been in the band longer than the other two original members were, so it feels more like the original lineup., Kerch knew he wanted to be a drummer by the time he got his first snare drum at age 7, when he stereotypically was beating on pots and pans. Theyve always been extremely cool with us and always were super positive about us doing the song. Watch: Former MEGADETH Guitarist MARTY FRIEDMAN Plays First U.S. Show In Four Years, VIO-LENCE's SEAN KILLIAN Is Open To Recording New Music With Band's Revamped Lineup, NAPALM DEATH Frontman Breaks Ankle Onstage In Munich, Refuses To Cancel Tour Dates. SHINEDOWN will embark on a 22-city tour in North America in 2022, which will be calledShinedown Live in Concert. The Skynyrd cover, it wasnt a planned thing, Smith said. When Shinedown finally came off the road in spring 2005 after some 400 shows, Leave a Whisper had topped 1 million copies sold. The comments reside on Facebook servers and are not stored on BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Where: The Depot, 13 N. 400 West, Salt Lake City, Tickets: $16 advance, $18 day of, available at Smiths Tix locations (800-888-TIXX, www.smithstix.com). The bands consistent dedication to their fans and music has been a key factor in their success. Jacksonville, Florida-based hard rock/post-grunge band SHINEDOWN has announced the departure of guitarist Jasin Todd just two days after Todd was arrested on disorderly intoxication and resisting-an-officer charges. That band got dropped ten months into the demoing process, but I was re-signed to a development deal. I'm an outgoing person that loves intercultural dialogue. A subscription makes a thoughtful gift for both family and friends. Had 2 daughters: Tammy and Melody. After that, we recorded the song in the studio in three takes.. I mean, but I promise you, one day Ill pay you back., He told me the band worked up a version of that song to play at a club the Van Zants owned, called Freebird Live. It was the very first thing that people heard from Shinedown. You have to be out there now. The question of whether Brent Smith, the lead singer of the American rock band Shinedown, is gay has been a topic of debate among fans of the group for quite some time. Shinedown appearing Tuesday at The Depot in Salt Lake City also had a hit with an acoustic cover of the Lynyrd Skynyrd song Simple Man, a song that wasnt on the original version of Leave a Whisper.. I travelled all over the US as we were figuring out what Shinedown was going to be and I was put into a writing session with Tony Battaglia. When Judy housed me for like a year straight, I told her, I was like, I have no idea how Im gonna pay you back. Her mother, Judy Van Zant Jenness, has also played a significant role in her life. Louders resident Cult Of Luna obsessive was still at uni when he joined the team in 2017. He said he tries to keep his posts positive, hashtagging them with #campaignagainstnegativity. So things kind of come in a full circle., He continued, It meant a lot to me. I included every song on the album below, in case you wanted to pause the interview at any point to hear any of them. Accept failure but dont live in it. That is so significant because of what it started. Combien gagne t il d argent ? At a radio station stop in Boston, he would sing it on the air for the first time. Ronald Wayne Van Zant was an American musician who is most known for being the lead vocalist, major lyricist, and founding member of the Southern rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd (January 15, 1948 - October 20, 1977). The effort has paid off, as Us and Them has kicked out a string of rock radio hits. . He said: "Our original guitar player, Jasin Todd, was married to Melody Van Zant [ Ronnie Van Zant 's daughter]. Brent Smith stated three years ago that his priority in life was his son. When I was writing 'Leave A Whisper', Judy [Van Zant, Ronnie's widow] put me up in her guesthouse, and our first show in front of an audience there to see us was at a club Judy and Melody owned. He is very much into sports. MTV, EMA and all related titles, logos and characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc. Guitarist is marrying Ronnie Van Zant's daughter this fall. Exploring Clues And Implications Of LGBTQ+ Representation In The Nightmare Before Christmas, ISSLN: A Symbol Of Solidarity And Acceptance For The LGBTQ+ Community, Ask Your Insurance Company About Gay Rights. What song did he write after his grandmothers untimely death? That was the first time a band I was in was on a major label and on the radio. They were with us for the entire two years they toured that album. I had just read the book Junkie by William Burroughs and was inspired by that. Shinedown figures to continue enjoying momentum as the group tours this fall with Godsmack. Kerch sees no contradiction in the bands heavy sound and the lighter DARKSIDE.. Nov 30: O2 Academy, Glasgow The song "Freebird" is now played as a musical tribute in Ronnie's memory. Its also my love letter to our road crew. Find the next step, platform or road. Jasin Todd, the band's original guitarist, is married to Melody Van Zant, daughter of Ron Van Zant. On Tuesday (November 15),Brent shared a photo of his performance with LYNYRD SKYNYRD, and he included the following message: "Still trying to process this moment Thank you @skynyrd and @johnnyroyvanzant for allowing me to be a part of this extraordinary event!!! Hidden comments will still appear to the user and to the user's Facebook friends. Smith has been married to his wife, former Miss Tennessee, Amy Marshall, since 2007, but the couple does not have any children. Smith and Bass both had children from previous relationships, and Myers has two children with his partner.