Dont waste time, live now! He had no broken bones. There were 3 main families that each controlled certain sections of the island. For the entire time I was on Koh Tao, there was one bar you avoided. Sadly another case of tourists deaths on Koh Tao. I was never explicitly told to hold back this information but that was the vibe. The father of murdered British backpacker Hannah Witheridge has wept as graphic photos of her body lying on a Thai beach were shown in court. The Backpacker Murders of Koh Tao. With all due respect but I obviously have no idea how a small blonde girl would feel visiting Koh Tao. "We're more and more thinking that the police information is not the right explanation.". A young backpacker has become the latest tourist found dead on Thailand's notorious 'death island', Tanote Bay in Koh Tao where a backpacker was found dead on April 27, Sairee beach where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found bludgeoned to death, Chillingly, the death of Elise appears to have been suppressed by Thai authorities, Elise Dallemange, 30, here pictured with mum Michele, had been living at a yoga and tantra retreat, Elise had been travelling around Asia for the last two years, Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were murdered in September 2014, Hannah is pictured (right) with her sister Laura, Luke Miller was found dead in a swimming pool in Koh Tao, Thai police have been accused by his family for not investigating the murder fully, Christina Annesley, 23, died on the island in January 2015, Christina's parents slammed Thai authorities for failing to investigate the death, Nick Pearson's parents are convinced their son was murdered in Koh Tao, Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, vanished from her hostel on Koh Tao in March, She had checked into the hostel on February 11 and was due to check out on February 16, Frenchman Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanged in a bungalow on the island. Two Burmese bar workers were found guilty of their murders the following year and sentenced to death. The official story is they were walking back to their hotel at night and were jumped by 2 Burmese men. Fire show boys were named notorious, however I never ran into anyone that this actually happened to. No toxicology report was conducted. The rest were mafia. Alex was charged with Maggie and Paul's murders days after he was formally disbarred by the South Carolina Supreme Court. There was a bar you avoided due to potential violence occurring. Prosecutors alleged that the double murder of Paul and Maggie was part of an effort by Murdaugh to gain sympathy and distract others from his significant financial crimes. Koh Tao was plunged into the spotlight when the semi-naked bodies of backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on a beach. Thailand's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for two Burmese migrant workers convicted of murdering two British backpackers on a Thai resort island in 2014. SUPAPONG CHAOLAN DNA tests have failed to provide a match. A millionaire hotel tycoon and his wife have been found dead in a luxury resort on Koh Tao, colloquially known as Death Island. My mind boggles when you order a taxi ride that takes about 10 minutes and they charge you $20. These and more tips for a Thai domestic flight search in my latest Thailand travel blog, click on the link! One of them was at the scene and I went to talk to him. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. Around 10k people on the island with only 3 corrupt police officers. 0. They were planning on going back to her hotel to have sex and decided on one more drink. This is to prevent the public from speculating and becoming scared of the area for its crime incidents.. Maybe some of the mafia got involved to get them to back off the ladyboy, who is possibly mafia too, add in Meth, violence escalates and now two are dead. Apparently a 50,000 THB ($1,400 USD) fine is what can happen and your passport will be taken from you until the fine is paid. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. Police ruled his death a suicide but couldnt explain why his hands were tied behind his back. They might not have even realised what they did was offensive. Although Koh Tao is one of the most beautiful islands in Thailand, it has always been shrouded by a dark mystery. Murder On Koh Tao: The Untold Story - Crime Documentary | Real Life Stories Documentaries Reality TV - Real Life Stories Documentaries 677 subscribers Subscribe 79 views 9 months ago Show. Posted on December 5, 2021. Other witnesses to appear will be the doctor who determined the cause of death and a woman who first found the bodies. But remember this only hurts your wallet! I regret that the pro bono defense team does not have the $5,500 budget necessary to pay for a proper translation into English. She spoke to police and wasn't given the time of day. Check your Thailand routes below and 12Go Asia tells you all the options (bus, boat, train, flights) including time tables and direct booking options. For a few weeks/months leading up to the murders, violence was getting worse, but it never happened in Westerner hangouts. These Thai people might seem like little boys to you but they could be ferocious fighters, be careful! The victims of the attack in Koh Tao have been named as 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge from Great Yarmouth and 24-year-old David Miller from Jersey. Laura Daniels, 30, has died five years after sister Hannah, 23, was. Fact is that they found another dead body in Koh Tao under suspicious circumstances. Dont forget that Thailand is still ruled by a Military regime. But don't worry I am not here to promote Koh Tao as a tourist destination or telling youisland hopping in Thailandis completely safe. Picture: Viral Press/Australscope For example we'd always advise people to go home after Fishbowl, which shut at 2am. If this Koh Tao blog about safety issues was helpful for your trip please pin it on Pinterest, share it in a Facebook Group or tweet it on Twitter. The owner of BAR stepped in, fucked up on Meth. Let me help you as in my article Travel to Thailand or Philippines I compare my two favorites island destinations! Eight days later when locals living near the island's idyllic Tanote Bay became suspicious of a monitor lizard going back and fourth into the jungle they discovered Elise's half-eaten body on May 27 among rocks behind the Tanote Family Bay Resort. Could this have happened on any other island in Thailand as well? The photo-shopped picture below is not reflective of anything in the story - rather a hark back to the times . Think twice before getting yourself into trouble! The island became world news when two British backpackers, David Miller and Hannah Witheridge were brutally murdered on the island in 2014. Also, he noted that the several pieces of rope which were used in the suspected suicide appeared to be different which might suggest that the death was not caused by suicide. If you would like to be prepared for your trip to Thailand then have a look at my guide telling you everything you need to know when you travel to Thailand: visas, safety issues, scams, the culture, things to do and things NOT to do, the best national parks, about the street food, the travel adapter you need, the vaccinations and many more things. May be the significant drop in tourists because of the Corona pandemic in 2020 and 2021 made these taxi drivers charge more sane prices, but I doubt it. She wasn't really friends with them, they were only together due to being friends with someone else who was having a house party. But it was in this idyllic setting that their horribly bludgeoned bodies were discovered, their blood seeping into the sand and staining the water. Prices for taxi rides in Koh Tao are fixed and they all stick to it. They are also being bribed, they are under intense pressure from the British government for any kind of 'justice', they want it pinned on a Burmese guy so the Thai reputation doesn't plummet, the police have planted fake evidence or they just don't care. 'They have a LOT in common' Helen Skelton grows close to Strictly pro Vito Coppola after bonding on tour bus - almost one year after rugby star husband left mum-of-three, Interactive map shows exactly where snow could fall in UK as mercury nosedives to -7C, Doctor tells Harry he believes Prince has Attention Deficit Disorder in live Q&A, Kate Garraway shares Derek's final words as he believed he was about to die, Spencer Matthews 'furious' after Disney delays Everest doc as it shows dead bodies, 'I DIDN'T BREAK THE LAW' Matt Hancock tells lawyers he wants immunity on care home deaths during Covid pandemic, Matt Hancock plotted to use new Covid variant to 'frighten the pants off everyone' in leaked WhatsApp, Loose Women star Linda Robson's 'marriage crisis' after hitting 'rough patch', Cyclist pavement killer risks losing home as neighbours break silence, Mrs Brown's Boys to return with four-part miniseries as filming begins soon, Kelsey Parker taking kids to see pop star husband Tom honoured on Dancing on Ice, King Charles 'offers Harry and Meghan palace suite' after kicking them out of Frogmore, Subscribe to Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror newspapers. Associate Professor Charnkanit Krittiya Suriyamanee, a criminologist and lecturer at the faculty of social science and humanities of Mahidol University, said he doubted the suicide theory citing some irrelevant evidences, according to Chiangrai Times. When asked why, we'd say, 'you just don't want to end up at BAR' . The other question is why were they killed. The CCTV in the area had not been working for several months due to lack of maintenance but officers are now collecting evidence from the cameras installed in other parts of the hotel, he said. What To Pack For Thailand | Packing List With 40 Things To Bring. Plus crime scene photos. A couple hours later a British couple got brutally murdered and left behind only two hundred meters away from where I had been drinking beers and having fun with my friends. A millionaire hotel tycoon and his wife have been found dead in a luxury resort on Koh Tao, colloquially known as Death Island. Hannah was missing clothes on her lower body and her head/face had been completely smashed in by a blunt object. In case you've missed it. Passport photos of David William Miller, and Hannah Victoria Witheridge, both 24, were placed on this memorial on Koh Tao on Wednesday. Another thing that should actually be clear is to never walk away from a party alone. I greet my students and start packing bags as we'll be diving all day. I genuinely think she is telling the truth. One of the first famous crime scene photos was taken on May 5, 1903, in the home of a Parisian woman named Madame Debeinche who had been murdered. They raped and killed Hannah, and killed David who was attempting to fight them off. His family has accused police of a cover-up. This is one of the crime scene photos from the attack on Sue White by Gerald Arthur Lee on 11/05/06 in Cherokee County, GA. Should I really travel to Koh Tao? Get email updates with the day's biggest stories. Then came a stumbling police investigation, speculation about a cover-up to protect a prominent local family, the alleged framing and torture of two young Burmese migrant workers, questions about the handling of key forensic evidence and the controversial observer role of Metropolitan Police officers alongside Thai investigators. Questions surround her death. Mr Sachathamakul was the co-owner and chief executive officer of the Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach hotel and owned the Bangkapi Mansion apartments in Bangkok. I have traveled around the islands extensively and would love to help you plan your trip to Thailand. Dubbed 'Death Island', the illusion of a safe haven has since shattered following the brutal deaths of a number of tourists. According to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), as many as 11 Britons have been murdered in Thailand since 2009. Resting in the Gulf of Thailand, a two-hour ferry ride north of Koh Samui, Koh Tao is best known for its incredible marine life, which over the years has attracted a small but buoyant expat. Metropolitan police detectives were sent to Thailand in 2014 to look over the case and report back to officials and the families. Photograph: PA The island, two hours by boat from the nearest airport, has a low-key, undeveloped feel and. I am 100% sure about it. Click on the picture to read all about it. Stay away from drugs! The families of the deceased both present for the first time at the hearing have asked for privacy. Ms Witheridge had been raped. So how safe is Koh Tao? There is a big change nothing will ever happen, but a wasted tourist is an easy victim. Death Island or Murder Island Koh Tao has already been struggling with a very bad reputation after the Koh Tao murders in September 2014 when a British couple was killed and left behind on Sairee Beach. After visiting 100 countries by the end of 2019 I felt inspired to visit every country in the world. (via Kusonsattha Rescue Service) Details are emerging on the tragic drowning death of a billionaire hotel owner and his wife in Koh Tao last week as police investigate further. I had woken up between 4:30-5:30, as my day at work started at either 5 or 6. Weve all heard about the 2014 backpacker murders of two British tourists in Koh Tao, Thailand. Hannah, 23, from Hemsby, Norfolk, and David Miller, 24, from Jersey, were found dead on the island of Koh Tao on September 15. When smoking marijuana in Koh Tao be very careful! For the life of me I can't remember the name of the bar and can find no reference to it on the Internet. All the 'dirty work' was done by the Burmese. Read my complete guide on where to stay in Koh Tao for more tips. I'm also not a great writer. The 2 Burmese guys confessed to the crime and have been given the death penalty. Use common sense and stay out of trouble in the first place! "They may be feeling guilty for the crime they have done." The two Burmese men, identified as Saw and Win, were arrested last week and accused of killing David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the island of Koh Tao on 15 September. In a statement following his hearing, James Gissing, who was in Thailand with Luke, said he felt police were covering up as it was the death of another foreigner on Koh Tao, referring to the Witheridge and Miller murders. People speculated that seeing foreign tourists walk around wearing no clothes all day, having sex on the beach etc pushed them over the edge. Since I found out about 12Go Asia, traveling in Thailand become much more convenient. UPDATE: Attempted murder by Thai diving instructor, Santi Khokpool in the Fishbowl Beach Bar, Koh Tao on 28-year-old British tourist on 15 August 2020. They later retracted their confession. This story was huge at the time in the UK as they were both British. The family of New Zealand-born British tourist Christina Annesley, who died on the island in 2015, dont believe polices insistence she died after mixing antibiotics with alcohol. The victims have been named by Thai authorities as 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge from Great Yarmouth,. Besides that, islands are like small communities and they all know each other. Grace Beahm Alford/The Post and Courier/Pool Grace Beahm Alford/The Post and Courier/Pool Diagram of crime scene. Michelle, who says the death would have gone unnoticed if not for her public appeal for help, said: "I do not believe what the police have told us. Two Burmese men, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun, were arrested over the crime. Thai police claim Elise hung herself - but her devastated mother does not believe them, and thinks somebody else was involved. Especially at night just always stay around other people. There is a big chance you will fall in love with this little paradise. Elise's death is the latest in a string of seven fatalities in three years on the island. Mr Puridech said there were no signs of struggle at the scene and an early examination of the bodies did not suggest foul play. But although David's family called the verdict 'justice', the trial of the two Burmese migrant workers was plagued by accusations of human rights abuses. Police officer gives testimony about bodies of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller who were found dead on a beach on Koh Tao island in September 2014. That said, it was my second time I lived in Koh Tao and it was the second time there had been a fatal incident. Photo: EPA . CAUTION, CRIME SCENE PHOTOS! We ask that the media treat Hannah with dignity in their reporting of the trial., Please allow the police and the court to do their jobs during the coming weeks and months. In August 2020 the death sentence was commuted to life in prison under royal pardon by the decree. Hi! Of course when splitting with 4 people this is fine. Simple things your parents would tell you too: dont walk along the beach on your own at night. Since then the Samui Times has been inundated with . Theres no proof because you cant get proof because the authorities are corrupt.. Picture: Viral Press/Australscope Mr Sachathamakul's wife, Anshoo. Ratish has told police his father had diabetes, hypertension and obstructive sleep apnoea. She was later identified by dental records and previous x-rays. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. The Koh Tao Murders happened just a couple hours after I was celebrating my birthday on the same beach in the very early morning of September 15, 2014. They were at the same party together. British holidaymaker Christina Annesley, 23, died on the island in January 2015 after apparently mixing antibiotics she was taking for a chest infection with alcohol. The 23-year-old had tweeted this picture on Monday, revealing she was on the island of Koh Tao in Thailand 'I have found an affordable bungalow to move to. This led to dozens of charges accusing Alex Murdaugh of stealing nearly $5million in settlement money from lawyers who sued him over the death.. A member of staff told police he heard four to five cries of someone in shock approximately 10 minutes . Some Koh Tao travel blogs tell you that prices depend on your haggling skills. I know this because one of my closest friends, and my neighbour was with them when the murders happened. This bar also was the main hangout of the ladyboys. The investigation will cover the depth of the swimming pool, their health conditions and possible foul play, Mr Puridech said. I'm also fairly sure that a majority had mafia ties, though this is the one thing me and my friends never spoke about so is pure speculation on my part but makes sense in the context of the murders. Post-mortem examinations showed that the young backpackers, who had met on the island while staying at the same hotel, both suffered head wounds and that Hannah had been raped. Before I begin, this will get long and there are lots of things I need to explain about the island before I can get into the story. solve a crime that made global headlines . "In view of what's happened to David Miller and Hannah Witheridge and various other people I've read about, it just all leads to the same thing. I lately traveled to Bangkok and saw marijuana stores everywhere. Make sure you have a seat by buying your ticket online and safe a lot of hassle. Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo arrive at the Koh Samui Provincial Court. A blood-stained hoe was found near the bodies and was thought to be the murder weapon. The island is very challenging to navigate as there are a lot of dirt roads and some are really steep. There was also a photo floating around on WhatsApp that spread across the island like wildfire. Tips for Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur by Train | Worth it? This is just a backup page for the Youtube channel, plus some stuff that I would like to share. The major problems started when Meth became heavily used. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. 5th Oct, 2014. But please dont get scared! Elise's heartbroken mother, Michele van Egten, has now proclaimed she does not believe police account of events. It doesn't necessarily mean they are transgender, or that they are doing drag, they just live as women. Get email updates with the day's biggest stories. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. This goes on all day, trying to talk to each other but not wanting the tourists to hear about it, at least not from us. Take a look at my suggested Thailand island hopping toursor check out which islands to go in Thailandfor your purpose of travel or read here all thethings I miss about Thailand. Click here to read about the best things to do in Koh Tao. Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. This island paradise is notorious for the unexplained deaths of people who visit there. A team of pro-bono lawyers and human rights activists are working as the defence, wearing black gowns and sitting in the court. The island is small and gifted with loads of hidden gems and completely deserted bays. She was part of the sect of the Sathya Sai Baba cult movement, and lived with a self-proclaimed "guru", and left the island on April 17 to return home. Valentina was reported to have been visiting the island to go freediving an activity the area is famed for among backpackers. Tony Witheridge bowed his head as bloody images of. But trust me if you travel to Koh Tao you dont get involved with daily politics on the island! It will always be you against the island. I dont believe well ever find out what happened to her. Taking into account the multiple eye witnesses saying it, the guys reputation and history and aliases for the Burmese guys it's hard to see any other possibility. My gf had been on the island 18 months longer than me and is one of those people who just knows everyone. With crystal-clear waters, perfect sandy beaches, palm trees and great nightlife. Police colonel Prachum Ruangthong said: "The man was chopped in the back and on the side of his head, while the woman was chopped in her face. Brits Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were murdered as they walked back to their hotel rooms in September 2014. After 2 big trips around the world in my early travel days, I am now already continuously traveling the world for more than 3,700 days! If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it. The only reason I can think for her to lie is to get some media attention, but that seems more likely to go badly than positively when the truth came out. A Scottish man is being kept in protective custody in Thailand after a photo he took . Scuba diving is the main tourist drag and when the scuba lessons are over the partying starts. Yes, that is more than 10 years of moving around the globe, not staying in one place longer than 2-3 weeks mostly! Will Koh Tao ever be able to get rid of that negative image? The photos show his wife . So the answer to who is the murderer is the owner of BAR, the same one their bodies were found the closest to, and a known mafia hangout. A short time later, Ratish returned to the resort to find the bodies of his parents floating in the water. Don't let your Thailand holiday be ruined by your own stupid mistakes! It's dangerous. koh tao murders crime scene photos Koh Tao - Thai Police - Their scapegoats, Tourist Trade Exposed by Anonymous Greetings world, We are Anonymous. Burmese people were treated like shit by the Thai. There are three theories, nobody ever got an answer to which is correct and mostly like it's a combination. For example, Songkran is the Thai New Year. Also, a documentary here: Surviving Evil: Wolves at the Door This is not a specific safety tip for Koh Tao, but everywhere around the world. After weeks of investigations, Thai Police have arrested three Burmese man in relation to the murder of two British tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on the holiday island of Koh Tao.The Burmese migrant worker community is on high . His parents believe he was murdered - despite police claims he fell 50ft and drowned. There will be no jury. On New Years Day in 2014, he was found floating in a bay beneath a 15m cliff. I dont know if that is law in Thailand but on Koh Tao, the police can make their own laws. 8 Christina is one of the many young Brits to have died on the island Credit: Handout 8 In the meantime, investigators have been piecing together the couples final moments before the tragedy. Westerners were ignored as long as you didn't cause any problems. The judge said on Wednesday the matter would be dealt with on Thursday when the police officer who holds the samples will be present in the court. I think one, or both of them said or did something discriminatory to a ladyboy. On the 29th of August 2019 the Thai supreme court upheld the death sentence for the two Burmese men who allegedly are guilty for the Koh Tao Murders which happened on my birthday September 15th in 2014. Michele claims that Elise used a fake name of "Elise Dubuis" to check into the Triple B Bungalows next to Mae Head Pier on Koh Tao as she travelled via the island on a ferry bound for Chumphon province on her route back to capital Bangkok. But in this article I express my personal opinion on the safety issues in Koh Tao island based on my own experiences. Unfortunately more tragic news from the so called Death Island of Koh Tao occurred recently when on June 4th 2021 the 2 lifeless bodies of a Thai/Indian billionaire couple were found dead in the Jamahkhiri Resort & Spa hotel pool. They lock them up in a BKK prison and torture them for a confession. I personally think it was a mix or the first 2. There are amazing hiking trails and viewpoints in Koh Tao, it is one of best scuba diving destinations in the worldand there are many more othercool things to do in Koh Tao. But keep in mind that Koh Tao is NOT Bangkok. It could mean I have been lucky, but please travelers: USE COMMON SENSE and your intuition and be aware that traveling involves risks! Buying a Sim Card for Dominican Republic in 2023, Buying a Sim Card at Bogota Airport in 2023, Buying a Sim Card at Lisbon Airport in 2023, Four Seasons Amman | Luxury Experience in an Amazing City, Affordable Villa Mira Apartment near Rainbow Street Amman, best scuba diving destinations in the world, search engine for Thailand transportation, Buying a Thailand Sim Card at Bangkok Airport in 2023, 25 Best Street Food Dishes in Thailand (+printable checklist), 68 Interesting & Funny Thailand and Bangkok Facts. Check out my Traveltomtom Group Trip page for one of the exciting upcoming group trips. The population of Koh Tao was around 1300, which did not include the hundreds of Westerners living on the island or the thousands of Burmese, or the hundreds arriving everyday. If there really is no other solution just ask the help of an other random group of tourists. The Foreign Office said: "We are aware of the death of two British nationals on September 15 on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand. Let me tell you where you can book one with insurance, so you wont get scammed. Having lived on the island for a fair few years at this point, the mafia knew who I was. The case has caused Thailands judiciary to be closely scrutinised. In Thailand every business needs to be majority owned by a Thai, usually they owned 51%. Was everyone on Meth in a mafia? They raped and killed Hannah, and killed David who was attempting to fight them off. KOH TAO MURDERS - DID SCOTLAND YARD AND THE FOREIGN OFFICE SCREW UP? Their parents must be going through hell just like we are and we have been for the last almost two years. It was exactly like that for five years. A baby girl has died in tragic circumstances on a family holiday, after ingesting drugs her parents believe were left out in an Airbnb. For the around 10k people on the island a day, there were 3 police officers who only appeared around holidays. They've gone years doing whatever they want, it doesn't matter who knows. And the pain felt by many of their loved ones has been made worse by suspicions of cover-ups in investigating their deaths and disappearances, and that powerful mafia families have tightened their grip on the island. Thai police say the man on the left matches the one seen acting suspiciously on CCTV.