All Rights Reserved. Witnesses said he was shot several times in the head and died on the spot. Auburn Crime Statistics by sunjournal on Scribd. Maine news, sports, politics, election results, and obituaries. The 10-year average for homicidesremained at 22 last year. // Anyone with information can contact the Lewiston Police Department at 207-513-3001, ext. You can share 5 more gift articles this month. Shortly after 2 p.m., Police arrested Rocyris Storer, 24, of 33 Winter St., on charges of elevated aggravated assault and unlawful possession of scheduled drugs after locating him at a home on Shawmut Street, investigators said. PORTLAND, Maine Three people have been injured in a reported shooting Saturday in an apartment in Lewiston. Hassan Alew, 50, of 9 Macadamia Lane, was charged with reckless conduct with a firearm and refusing to submit to arrest. mesurer votre utilisation de nos sites et applications. The suspects were seen on city cameras fleeing the area after the shooting, the release stated. 3LEWISTON After 11 years at the Lewiston Public Library and the past six at the helm, Director Marcela Peres will leave her post next month to take a position as operations manager at . Its not always easy to wrangle suspects, they say, because when it comes to downtown violence, a lot of people just dont want to get involved. Nous, Yahoo, faisons partie de la famille de marques Yahoo. Suspect arrested after fatal Lewiston shooting, Manage your Advertiser Democrat Subscription, Manage your Livermore Falls Advertiser Subscription, Manage your Franklin Journal Subscription, Manage your Rumford Falls Times Subscription, Manage Your Rangeley Highlander Subscription, Sun Media Groups Western Maine Weekly Subscriptions, UPDATE: Lewiston man charged with murder of Massachusetts man. 3The Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland is asking Maine's highest court to consider its challenge to the constitutionality of a 2021 law that lifts the statute of limitations on claims of childhood sexual abuse. Pets for Adoption at Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, in Lewiston, ME | Petfinder Greater Androscoggin Humane Society 55 Strawberry Ave. Lewiston, ME 04240 Get directions view our pets info@gahumane.org (207) 783-2311 Our Mission LEWISTON, Maine Lewiston police responded to a report of multiple shots fired at 102 Pierce St. shortly after 5 a.m. on Monday, authorities say. Coleman should be considered armed and the public should not approach him. I wanted no part but they kept goading me, and why would they stop? Once I had my glasses I walked back to the Sun Journal office where I notified my supervisors what happened.. Don't have a commenting profile? The city has also created a public health manager position which is focused on getting help to people in need, Moen said. Contreras did not pursue charges against the teens who attacked him. Click here to sign up for the daily NEWS CENTER Maine Break Time Newsletter. But there is one notable exception. Storer, who has a criminal history in the area, is accused of shooting 32-year-old Wany Wany Anyit, 32, of Topsham, during what was described as a shootout in the area of 199 Bartlett St. at about 3 a.m. Saturday. Hi, to comment on stories you must create a commenting profile. Notifications can be turned off anytime in the browser settings. With a Press Herald subscription, you can gift 5 articles each month. Police investigated the scene and determined the shooting took place inside the apartment, and the release stated that nobody in the apartment at the time has been cooperative in the investigation. It looks like you do not have any active subscriptions. Its a good place to raise a family, open a business and build community. Stay current with all the latest and breaking news about Lewiston, Maine, compare headlines and perspectives between news sources on stories happening today. LEWISTON, Maine A 24-year-old woman was taken to Central Maine Medical Center with a gunshot wound early Thursday morning. You continued to lie and lie throughout your testimony," Newman said. The matter of homelessness has been a hot button issue of late as the city mulls whether to open a low-barrier shelter in Lewiston. On this version of Hot off the Wire: A judge has sentenced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh to life in prison a day after he was convicted of murder in the shooting deaths of his wife and. [CDATA[ They remained unidentified. Massie also uses the nicknames Fast Eddie and TT, according to the police affidavit. Referred to the Veterans and Legal Affairs Committee Thursday, no public hearing for the bill has been scheduled. Its those gunshots more than anything else that have captured the attention of a nervous public. "And the question is when will it end? Mar. or 1-800-924-2261 Ext. LCSC had one of its worst shooting efforts of the season as No. There are some caveats, however. The Maine Association of Basketball Coaches, which presents the Mr. and Miss Maine Basketball awards, announced the finalists Friday. LEWISTON, Maine (WMTW) - An officer-involved shooting in Lewiston Sunday is being investigated by the Maine attorney general's office. For the latest breaking news, weather, and traffic alerts, download the NEWS CENTER Maine mobile app. Public Releases At this point I was leaning on a chain link fence behind which construction was being done at that intersection. 6 min read. Lewiston police are investigating the shooting of a man Monday evening in the area of Horton and Pine streets. If the page does not reload within 5 seconds, please refresh the page. Later on Monday afternoon, Lewiston Water Department workers noticed several armed and masked men run into a vehicle near the Bartlett Street area, according to the release. Massie is charged with intentional or knowing murder. Police were also talking to several witnesses and potential witnesses near the scene. Its not only violent crime that affects the populace. 6LEWISTON City police are investigating another shooting incident, this one a drive-by style shooting that happened over the weekend near the corner of Lincoln and Main streets.. Investigators believe the shooting happened inside the apartment. Maine State Police and Lewiston Police are investigating a shooting that took place earlier this afternoon on Scribner Boulevard in Lewiston. But thats a tough sell because theyre afraid of repercussions.. Mark LaFlamme, Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine, Reports: 3 children dead, 2 wounded in attack at Texas home, Kellyanne Conway, George Conway To Divorce After Decadeslong Marriage: Report, School punished teen girl for working out in sports bra in 100-degree Texas heat, ACLU says, U.S. court won't require FAA to make airplane seat size, spacing rules, 'Extremely dangerous': Spike in illegal crossings at Canada-Vermont border has feds sounding alarm, SoCal in for cool start to weekend, butlight showers make brief return, Walk in showers are going to be the new trend, AccuWeather: Clouds and wind into Saturday AM, Deadly storm which slammed southern states to bring snow to Northeast. On an early morning in late April, a 24-year-old woman was shot and seriously wounded inside her home on Arch Avenue in Lewiston. Its a line of thinking based on the so-called Broken Window Theory, a concept wherein each problem that goes unattended in a given environment affects peoples attitude toward that environment and leads to more problems. PORTLAND, Maine Three people have been injured in a reported shooting Saturday in an apartment in Lewiston. Jeff LoveOffice of Professional Standards, Investigative Records and Record Requests, Troop G Weekly Report - 02/20/2023 - 02/26/2023, Troop G Weekly Report - 02/13/2023 - 02/19/2023, Troop G Weekly Report - 02/06/2023 - 02/12/2023. Plow truck drivers prepare for Maine's third snowstorm of the week, Maine Wardens searching for missing Greene man, Lewiston DHHS office closes due to water, electrical damage, Police investigate robbery of Lewiston USPS mail carrier. LEWISTON A woman was shot and killed Friday afternoon on Scribner Boulevard in what witnesses described as a dispute over a baby. A day later, police tracked down a suspect, described as a. There was a double homicide last month just blocks from the home he shares with his family. Together, we can operate in a compassionate and humane way by diverting individuals with substance misuse and mental health challenges from involvement in the criminal justice system, and instead connect them to treatment and resources whenever possible. At one point, a full garbage can was thrown at me, scratching my left arm., As I fought with the two youths, one of them struck me on the left side of my face in the lower area of my left eye, high on my cheekbone, Contreras said, causing an eye injury. Anyone can access the link you share with no account required. Others say they avoid walking near Kennedy Park in Lewiston. This immediately stunned me and I stumbled back, which was when the group ran off. UPDATE: Lewiston Police identify suspect sought in Tuesday's shooting LEWISTON A 22-year-old man was found early Tuesday with a gunshot in his foot, police said. Heres why. And the public, no matter how horrified by the violence around them, are wary about reaching out to police. The drug problem is one where we are not going to arrest our way out of it. 12 Eastern Oregon took advantage and rolled to a 75-59 victory in the conference tourney championship game at Quinn Coliseum. Five in total and I would estimate between 14 and 16 years of age.