Mag Bay is the deep end of the pool. Each morning, we would meet the guide and run across the bay in the panga, where we then met a boat trailer ferry to take us over land and across the peninsula to the Pacific, which saved us hours of running time. With options to fish in the Bay, inshore and offshore, you'll be sure to have an amazing time fishing Mag bay. I stayed with Wilber, and he and his son will take me out in his Panga at first light. We watch a reel getting emptied and watch the fish leap, flip, and dive. 202/642-6386) has been leading whale-watching experiences. modifications. We hefted the bow to accommodate the new trailer he backed down, and soon we were again in the water, on the inside, headed back to the lodge under the rising full moon. 8:15-10:15 AM Travel to Magdalena Bay. Check out our videos just to see a trip or two when the cameras were rolling. I can deal with anything at all to get to the great fishing, but here the trip is simple, the place is fantastic, and the fishing is utterly ridiculous. Promnitz said later he might have been close enough to cast a jig to them. Its not an easy task to release a 60 lbs wahoofrom a popper on a spinning rod. Bathroom and snack stop along the way. We werent fishing, but were chasing birds and bait instead. For more information email us at tagsportfishing@gmail.com or click on the link Mag Bay fishing trips. Subscribe here to get the latest updates news on all things fishing and hunting right to your inbox, Some of the add-ons on this site are powered by. Offshore vs. Inshore Fishing in Cabo San Lucas: Which is Right for You? You can select from a day tour (US$450 per boat for five hours of whale . All rights reserved. Please call for a quote. Standard operating procedure called for fishermen to simply sit in their pangas for the short ride. In 2018, Eli Martinez of SDMdiving.com set up a trip to Mag Bay for photographers. Rarely will they even be found within 15 to 20 miles of the mouth of the bay. Enjoying a succulent lunch in a . About. Sunglasses. Looking for info on Lodgings and Panga rentals in Mag Bay for a few days in September. Offshore Fishing. Striped marlin gather in great numbers off Magdalena Bay during the fall and early winter, but its remote location, cutting deep into the mostly uninhabited Pacific side of the central Baja coast, keeps fishing pressure minimal. Copyright 2017 - bajaflyfish.com - All Rights Reserved. Shades of blue mix with seasonal browns and greens where the desert meets the saltwater within the calmer main bay. Swimming with the fishes in Baja By John Huber Photos by Nick Price. The grounds we fish at are completely loaded with Wahoo, Dorado, Tuna . Guided Grey Whale Watching. The experience is both fascinating and intriguing. Jonathan. We anchored in Man Of War Cove. I imagine that the upwellings push the bait to the surface and thus the marlin follow close behind. With four passengers, kayaks and lots of gear, our boat was heavier than the norm, but with mucho creaking, the truck pulled us out and only once required a stop to add air to a sagging tire with an old bicycle pump. A longtime light-tackle angler says few things compare with taking a blue marlin on the fly. The more I see this, the more I want to be back in the boat casting to them. e invite you to reach out and give us a call or checkout more on the website. Is family owned & Operated "Proudly Creating Life-Long Memories" for morethan 23,000 people in the past 32 plus years .You will have the privilege to embark on a interactive adventure through the majestic ever glade waters of " Magdalena Bay" with father Crispin (Whale King) or one . The appreciation for Mag Bay comes from the secrets she keeps. Custom Fly Fishing Panga Package 7 days: $2950/person At The New Island Home, Includes air port transfers, lodging, and meals. Fishing in Mag Bay. ADIOS LA PAZ CARNAVALE 2018! The two "foundations" of Loreto's sport fishing are the "dorado" and the "yellow tail" (Seriola lalandi dorsalis). The afternoon was filled with searching for wildlife from the bow as National Geographic Sea Bird navigated Canal de Soledad. Its a place for the most curious and adventurous people to be at. B ottom and/or Deep Sea Fishing depending on the season and target species.. Many are also reminiscent of North America. Instead, he simply trolls a standard East Coast spread with two dredges, two squid chains and a pair of hookless lures or ballyhoo, and all fish are teased to the boat. In the afternoons we still found the bait balls, but they were smaller and probably tired. If we can't match the rate of the other deal because one of the above conditions is The food is true Mexican cuisine with a varied and customized choice of meals that is included with your stay. The conditions of your booking with us still allow penalty-free cancellations and Whale watching sessions by Panga. If there are five marlin attacking the bait, there are 20 or more slowly swimming beneath it. "Get in! At one point, the crew in one panga shouted excitedly into the radio something about cow yellowfin swimming underneath the boat. As you get closer, you can spot the marlins fins slicing the surface. The boat is top class, also used for deep-sea fishing, well equipped, and seaworthy. How many fisheries in the offshore world allow you to first experience the angling, then immerse yourself in the water with your quarry? $1000 for a Cape Horn 27 and $1,750 for a Pro Cat 37. 27' SPORT PANGA . In addition, Loreto's waters are home to other species like snapper and seabass, all year long. Catches Likely: Marlin, tuna, roosterfish, golden trevalle, pargo, snook, wahoo, dorado, bonita, jacks, and more. . California fly angler wins conventional bass tourney. That creates truly special opportunities to experience packs of striped marlin in every direction and boiling at the surface, especially from a kayak. 4 STROKE YAMAHA OUTBOARD. What I mean is there shuttles rent a car or what transportation is there to get from airport to there and I offshore flyfish. Prices subject to change without notice. The ridge consist of a long range of mountains with many peaks coming up to 100 ft or so. Thirty minutes later and its the post-release chatter, all high fives, and back slaps. Little has changed over the years in this small fishing village where the main available activities are around the fishing, whale watching and Eco Touring. The fishing they have done over the past 30 years is enough to amaze any fishermen with days on the water around hidden tuna pens that are unimaginable fishing. Ask Bob. Landing this exotic and surprising prize opened our imaginations. The local panga fishermen are mad as h*ll that the sardine and marlin are getting fished out illegally with up to 14 large industrial size boats going out of Magdalena Bay every night, each boat harvesting 100 - 200 tons of fish. When the bite is on, Shafer will run the boat up from Cabo San Lucas, while Smith flies from his home in Florida to Cabo, then drives six hours to Puerto San Carlos where a local guide will ferry him out to the boat. Within the massive bay, miles of mangroves, beaches, channels, sandbars and islets offer chances for snook, roosterfish, golden trevally, Colorado snapper, barred pargo, white seabass, yellowtail, halibut, corvina and more. The result is a living, moving ball of fish, with marlin and often sea lions in pursuit. Lopez Mateos/Magdalena Bay . Information on the bay, although always a little scarce, has become easier to find. About. The Finger Bank is so named because of three areas where the bottom rises from 3,000 feet to around 300; on the charts, they look like fingers. The central Baja region is home to Wahoo, Yellowfish tuna, Wahoo, and Dorado. Copyright 2023 Marlin Magazine. The area offers year-long fishing opportunities for anglers and is mainly a hotbed for deep-sea fishing. What makes the Magdalena Bay offshore fishing so astonishing is a convergence of conditions that occur in the fall. The gray whale spends summers in the waters off Alaska, and then heads 6,000 miles (almost 10,000 km) south to the warmer lagoons of Baja in January, February and March. A chain of islands that serve as a barrier protect the bay from the . The marlin pulled me through and over large bait balls, with frigate birds wheeling just overhead. Approx. Most of the sport-fishing boats that hit Mag Bay come from Cabo and run the 170 or so nautical miles north. Calle Puerto La Paz 40, Bahia Magdalena, 23740 Magdalena Bay, B.C.S., Mexico. The baitfish school together for protection; the ones on the outside are the first to get eaten, so naturally everyone wants to be in the center. Hands down, it is my absolute favorite fishing destination and the crew, boats, and service provided just make it so much fun. We build custom fly and light-tackle fishing packages that suit your plans, and your . including a link to the offer on the website and the exact price being quoted. (8 with children) maximum. Expert Crew with years of experience fishing the waters surrounding La Paz.. The largest town along the bay, Puerto San Carlos, has a handful of hotels and restaurants and is a great base for whale-watching or exploring the bay. Mangroves and sand dunes ring the inner bays and are the hunting grounds of predatory fish, including big snook, grouper, and, apparently, golden trevally. Our SUV is bouncing along the dirt moguls of a dark road . Close to 100 miles of mangrove-lined channels and shoreline encircle the area, and where the mangroves stop, the desert takes over. If you go online searching for flyfishing or outfitting in Mag Bay, youll find some operations. I grabbed it, pushed off from the panga and pedaled hard as I free-spooled away from my lively 7-inch mackerel. In the smaller boat, we could run ahead of the bait/bird/marlin frenzy and hop into the water. Double Room: $80. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. The marlin will corral baitfish into tightly packed balls before feeding at will. Calle Puerto La Paz 40, Bahia Magdalena, 23740 Magdalena Bay, B.C.S., Mexico. Time and tide now allow ! The vision is to share this Mag Bay fishing experience with the world. Its relative inaccessibility has allowed it to remain one of those rare places that time has virtually forgotten. This is familiar; this pull, this need to clear my line rapidly. E: booking@magbaytours.com. Fishing the two broad bay mouths through which the Pacific ebbs and floods is not to be missed, either, as long as a kayakero is prepared to pedal hard against strong currents. Sun protective clothing and hat. Boat Specs - Success Sport Fishing | Fishing, Spearfishing, and Surfing Trips . So, here we will try to, Fishing Report MagBay Oct 13 2020 So far this season has been a little unusual. It took me about two minutes to sign up for the expeditionfinally, I was going to Mag Bay. From October to December of each year, gigantic bait balls congregate miles off the coast of the bay, creating one of the most amazing shows the Pacific Ocean has to offer. Everything worked out really well, and I wanted to let everyone know how much we appreciated it. Our globe-trotting correspondent discovers big striped marlin and plenty more in the Galpagos. Magdalena Bay Whales - Your Adventure Our Passion . Bring in 5 Wahoo, a few tuna and dorado and head home for a Wahoo Ceviche dinner! It is one of the longest bays, it is considered the second largest in the Pacific. With such a vast area, and countless species, time typically becomes a limiting factor more so than lack of fish. The other deal is bookable online and is still available when we check. The area erupts with outstanding action in 2019. length:7.25m/23 feet 8 inches - width 1.78m/ 5 feet 8 inches weight 1500 lbs / Made from Fiberglass. The Baja Flyfishing Co. LLC offers a variety of guided fly fishing, spin fishing and light tackle off shore packages as well as guided beach and kayak fishing. Magdalena Bay - SLC magbaylures.com Name Toby Boat Name 36' ProKat Aug 31, 2018 #11 . I feel the grab on my second cast. All rights reserved. View map . Mag Bay is offers super size fish options. Mexico's Magdalena "Mag" Bay is among the best and most consistent sportfishing experiences in the world. We plan to send out a few more exploratory trips and may start running panga fishing there before the season is over. Baja Flyfishing Co is excited to offer Lopez Mateos/Magdelena Bay as one of our destinations, providing access to several hundred miles of mangrove channels, pristine beaches and the fabled Thetis Banks. Magdalena Bay, Lopez Mateos, Baja. Marco proudly operates Magdalena Bay Whales, but he may be in need of a name-change soon, as it seems flyfishing might play a more major role in his business. There are more fly anglers willing to travel now than ever before. The bay itself is as vast as it can get and has a feeling of wilderness. This experience leads to an appreciation that goes beyond the norm, beyond expectation, and certainly beyond fishing trip.. Magdalena Bay Properties; Fishing Calendar; Booking Calendar; Contact Us; SPA; ADVENTURES; YACHT SERVICES; LOCATED IN SMALL FISHING VILLAGE OF LOPEZ MATEOS AND LORETO "Olivia" 22 LA PAZ PANGA . If youre planning your next getaway to Baja California Sur, the lagoons of Mag Bay are a must-see! BD Outdoors began as a forum-based fishing community to connect saltwater anglers and provide a home to share the latest fishing reports and news. There are so few boats in Mag Bay that there is never any fighting over bait ballsbut Shafer doesnt chase them at all because he feels that it puts the fish down. 11 min read. If you find your deal on another fishing website at a lower rate, contact ourcustomer careteam. Your staff could not have been nicer, the fishing was insane, and the captains were amazing. Flyfishing is not remotely new to Mag Bay, but the current state of the sport absolutely is. I caught sight of motion in the impossibly clear, cobalt water beneath the kayak, my eyes drawn to flashing pectoral fins and tails edged in electric cyan. Next year, Im going to track down the center-console guys and book a few days of fishing to go along with the diving. There is nowhere else like it on Earthyou just have to figure out how to get there. Prices per day vary but you would pay minimum of $650 for an offshore panga. There is no dependable water source in the region, which has greatly restricted development; there are also no big-boat marinas, very few hotels and a minimal supply of reliable fuel. Max 4 anglers per cruiser. Magdalena Bay , 2/8/2023, National Geographic Sea Bird. That begs some explanation. Im not sure if Ricardo is even aware of how skilled he is at imitating every bird, insect, or wild sound he hears, but Ive noticed. Magdalena Bay. 7 hrs whale watching and more. Round trip transfers from Loreto, the closest airport, are in our listed package prices. The diving is great! Great, I think to myself. The volume of commercial fishing in the bay can be overwhelming for some, yet eco-tourism and a mindset of supporting a healthy ecosystem has more than a foothold here. The bite for three hours was as hot as it gets for three anglers fishing a seamount 75 miles off Costa Rica. Mag Bay also has some of the finest lodges, yacht charters, and tourism infrastructure in the country. Wed been researching and prepping for this trip for months, bringing enough gear to fish for whatever we encountered. Its all about getting there in this case, to Thetis Bank, about 30 miles off the northern part of Mag Bay. Drake Magazine Back Issue Content: 2009 Recession Fish Birth of a Fly Tyer Winter Reds Arizona Bass Night Stripers Stoneflies and a Girlfriends guide to Flyfishing. You can find a lot of middle-price-point opportunity, and for the West Coast angler, its a lot closer than trekking to the Caribbean. FULL DAY TRIP 280 . Marlin take turns tearing into a ball of bait the size of an SUV. It is one of the longest bays, it is considered the second largest in the Pacific. Rumor has it that the record for conventional tackle releases at Mag Bay is close to 200 striped marlin in one day, which pretty much sums up this amazing fishery. Panga 23 Recreational Pleasure Refined Polished inner liner Under $17,000.00 + engine, includes global shipping. He and his crew load two kayaks aboard each panga and head for a destination determined by anglers goals, the season and the mornings conditions. His captain was Juan Jose Abaroa Flores, who ran the Mucho Loco for the Rolling Stones for many years back in the 1980s. Baha Magdalena is a protected bay on the Pacific coast in Baja Sur. With options to fish in the Bay, inshore and offshore, you'll be sure to have an amazing time fishing Mag bay. Long walks on the beach in Southeast Florida. we're a party of 3 adults. different, you still keep your existing reservation including the cancellation policy. Or normally out of the bay? Seattle Times travel & outdoors editor. Korchinski had been toying with the idea of running up to the Finger Bank, some 60 nautical miles north of Cabo. There is only one hotel for Magdalena Bay. Adults: $261.00 $235.00. During the calving season, the gray whales migrate to the Baja waters, and so do humans. Crispin Mendoza is the living legend of San Carlos, a small town near the bay. The kayakers were brought offshore on pangas but fought the fish on their own. Mag Bay is about the size of San Francisco Bay, and the largest villages in the area are Puerto San Carlospopulation: 5,500and Lopez Mateos, which are a bit rustic to say the least. Copyright 2018 Baja Fishing Convoys - All Rights Reserved. Find frigate birds low on the water and the stripeys are sure to be there. . These four books will tide you over on the days you can't be on the water, At 88, Ed Darwin has spent decades mastering his local waters of Chesapeake Bay, 2023 Active Interest Media All Rights Reserved. You Save. What was the point? he said. Magdalena Bay Whales - Your Adventure Our Passion . Magdalena Sport Fishing! Captain Aldo Atonto tells us the fish will be up within the hour. Private TOUR. Id heard stories about Mag Bays incredible striped marlin fishing from Smith and others for years, but not having a 60-plus-foot sport-fisherman at my disposal made it impossible to get there myself. It is a long run from the launches out of the bay. These are but a few samples available. Magdalena Bay; La Paz; Blog; Boat Specs Solid reinforced fiberglass hull. . LOCATED IN SMALL FISHING VILLAGE OF LOPEZ MATEOS AND LORETO 760-908-BAJA Bob's cell . Its easy to keep pace with fins. While whale watching remains the primary focus in all of Magdalena Bay, fishing in Puerto San Carlos and Lopez Mateos continues to be off the charts for the few anglers who would rather fish than watch. Looking for info on Lodgings and Panga rentals in Mag Bay for a few days in September. The MagBay Advantage; About; Wholesale Registration; Dealer Locator; Product Catalog Some offshore destinations also require a boat ride across a sandy peninsula. Yet wed never read or heard any mention of golden trevally in Mag Bay until Nick held one in his hands. 8:30am Loreto bay and 9am Villas Del Palmar. Also, whats a good time (month) to fish Mag Bay? (more). Their main reason for heading south is to mate and give birth in the protected shallow lagoons in Baja. The extraordinary display of so many striped marlin crisscrossing and on the hunt for prey was mesmerizing. Most of the striped marlin are between 80 and 125 pounds; rarely will you see one surpassing 150 pounds, making them perfect fish for light tackle or the fly rod. Dorado, Tuna, Sailfish, Marlin, and even Wahoo likely on the Fly I took it all in from a little plastic boat that weighs considerably less than I do, while rushing over the surface with no evident means of propulsion. I even caught one on a Penn Senator 113. But it is also the common name of the greater environment that surrounds it, including a series of massive barrier islands with their own bays and an active offshore ecosystem. And in the case of Mag Bay, the bigger that sense of adventure the better. 4 nights of lodging in Costa Baja Resort. 8:00 AM - Meet at Sea and Land Office. The bait moves as the marlin and occasional sea lion push it forward. Smith believes that the marlin at the Finger Bank are harder to catch on fly than those at Mag Bay. It brings in some of the cleanest waters, fresh nutrients, and exotic fishing catch. In 2018, Smith and Shafer spent 12 days in Mag Bay, releasing 317 striped marlin on fly. This lodge and operation is nothing short of amazing. Then marlin happens Music is played loud over a marlin bite. Silver Lining Kings. Hi, no Wahoo never come inside the bay. If you spot a collection of frigates in Mag Bay between late September through early December, they are most likely on striped marlin actively balling bait. But know this: If youre thinking of just rolling down to DIY the bay, make sure you are highly competent in a boat. That day, we released 14 stripeys out of 20 bites, most on the lighter bait rods. During the calving season, the gray whales migrate to the Baja waters, and so do humans. This day tour is the ultimate whale watching experience in Cabo San Lucas - you will likely have the opportunity to see gray whales and their calves up close and personal in calm, shallow water, and the opportunity to pet the whales is not uncommon. How deep into the pool would you like to go? Roosters are notorious for reluctantly coming to within landing distance of the beach or panga, only to run again - sometimes stripping as much as 300 yards of backing from the reel. These dramatic openings attract gamefish amidst spectacular surroundings boiler rocks, sheer cliffs and herds of sea lions. Mostly they are out on the Ridge. Our 24 ft panga is for 2 anglers is $400 per day. As I get closer, the bluewater world comes into focus. If you are approaching from the north, the drive . Looking out onto the Bay of Banderas, this town is finely positioned for inshore and nearshore fishing, with deepwater action on offer in the Pacific Ocean just a few miles out. The best time - season to fish Magdalena Bay it's from early June to late December. Trip Date: Group Size: - + - + Show map . 30 kw generator. Search top fishing charters in Magdalena Bay. A series of sea mounts, pinnacles and banks, such as the Thetis and Potatoe Banks, hold huge concentrations of fish in the fall and spring as the species make their annual migrations. For more details on trip rules, cancellation and travel insurance visit our KNOW BEFORE YOU GO page. Within a couple of minutes of hopping into the kayak, a savage strike had ripped line from the spool. I found spinners with 20- and 30-pound braid perfect for throwing poppers or Sebile Stick Shadds worked back fast and hard. His operation is fittingly named Magdalena Bay Whales, but his new camp offers experiences beyond whale watching. Like most destination fisheries, there are a range of optionsfrom dirtbagging yourself down there and putting your money toward boats and guides, to going with all-inclusive, airport-to-airport services. There would be no stand-up fighting harnesses on this day; big-game angling from a kayak is all about arms and back, and the drag of the kayak. Looking for someone to split boat 1st November. Reservations can be made by contacting Cary or Erika at Success Sport Fishing - 760-230-6331. We build . Trip Itinerary. While shots at multiple marlin are primarily what draws anglers to Mag Bay, its hardly the only outstanding opportunity here. In the event of cancellation notice must be received in writing by the spot holder or charter master 180 days . Captain G, for example, starting driving a fishing panga 42 years ago when he was 12 years old. Taxes. We can customize your trip to include both mangrove and blue water days. In terms of the run up, down or across the bay to reach the fishing grounds, the ride on the pangas seldom took less than 45 minutes and often was an hour or two. Thank you again for everything. There were five of us on the trip and we had five days to chase bait balls. In the morning, the bait schools were bigger and were running together as a group, rather than trying to hide in a ball. At just about that instant, the big billfish burst high out of the water several times, leaping and twisting wildly. 15. On the other side of the islands, some of the most productive banks provide world-class fishing of pelagic species in large quantities, where each year in November, a natural phenomenon known as the Marlin run gathers in large numbers. Runs a panga from Mag Bay. The ridges, peaks, banks, and underwater structure outside of Magdalena Bay offer some of the richest fishing grounds in the world. But there really is no spot in the area for a base for a sport fishing operation. At Cabo San Lucas, the phenomenal billfish bite remains the highlight. The experience is both fascinating and intriguing. We spotted the frigate birds working the surface; when we got close, we could see the marlin in hot pursuit. My head snaps around to locate it. I can deal with anything at all to get to the great fishing, but here the trip is simple, the place is fantastic, and the fishing is utterly ridiculous. This is not a gentle bonefish lodge or an idyllic river with mountain backdrops. A Bonnier LLC Company. Best time to visit. The Finger Bank is Mag Bay Lite. The return trip took us perhaps 20 additional minutes when the wheel bearings in the old trailer failed halfway across the sand.