Good luck to all of them. Mike was in powerlifting from the first days of the IPF in the early 1970s. It is not the training intensity per workout that changes as a lifter ages; it is our training frequency (recovery period allowed) that must be adapted. We are not EliteFitness.com. Mike Bridges at the Central AAU Sr. Championshipos, April 1978, with a world record 585 squat He broke the world total record 3 times at this meet Lemenager photo The one finally Au- 27, 1978. You might say not bad well let me tell you this, maybe 12 super-heavies have done 630 plus, but Sam, at 275, has out-benched at least half of the twelve. I lifted my hands up and that's when I saw it. To: Chip Hultquist..would like to know more about your hip replacement; facing the same thing..30+ yrs of powerlifting. It's a shame his feats aren't hailed about today. We had a rivalry in the early 70s.Lou: Before we get into your powerlifting life, did you ever play other sports? Everyone has asked me, "Why do a meet only a month before trying to win your 10th world title?" I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. Robert Harris My first personal observation of Mike was at the Heart Of America Powerlifting Contest, an annual event hosted by St. Louis gym owner and bodybuilder George Turner. Squat: 395kg/870lb The bar we used was 45lbs plus the collars. And squating without center knurling??? [quote=TheGymMuse] Trying to figure this out with the same type hip replacement as Rickey Crain. Mike won the second most prestigious national powerlifting in 1977 when he won the Junior National Powerlifting Championships. It's about $'s! The place was cheering wildly for me to take again. Records should not have to be sacrificed because of this. he was just as good as coan just in a lighter weight class. His name was Mike Bridges. I was completely drained. wouldnt u think for a comp that big, that everything would be above board, regardless of what you think the rules should be? It was a national meet. Lou: What happened when you lifted against Paul Jordan of Austraila?Larry: Paul was talking about winning the world against my friend and fellow Ohioian Vince Annelo the greatest deadlifter. yea i was thinking about trying this because i want to compete eventually in single ply gear and natural. HOWEVER for a meet director at an IPF qualifier - and the supposed FLAGSHIP event, the men's nationals, to NOT have proper IPF bars and weights for world record breaks is UNTHINKABLE. Ivanko bars are awfulthey are outrageously whippy and the non-standard knarling makes setting up for the deadlift quite confusing. I would think you would have everything ready to go at least a week out. the knurling is LOUSY, and some are even slippery for the deadlift. A week later Mac and I flew to California. Was this in Tampa? Being stubborn about that and thinking I'm too tough to change what I do will derail your progress sooner or laterso listen to what the body is telling you and work with it; not against it. The great Mike Bridges spent years training three times per week, squatting twice, deadlifting once or twice, and benching two and sometimes three times within any week. Second, the guys that want to do drugs and get around a test can and will. On the other end of the spectrum, USA Powerlifting (USAPL) vehemently tests lifters, and its slogan is Americas choice for drug-free strength sport.. In powerlifting we have had lifters such as Pacifico who many times totaled more than the heavyweights in the early years of powerlifting. At 198 he went 450-315-440 to win. I don't think I would even care if the IPF recognized it personally. There was a two-hour weigh-in and no round system. 1980-11-07, USA-VA, Arlington. C'mon. Powerlifting differentiates between world records set at tested and non-tested competitions. it's not just Mike's!) My total at around age 46 was just under 1700. We took off and I told him what happened. Benchpress: 172.5kg/380lb if i were running the damned thing, i'd be double checking EVERYTHING. At meets a certain aura surrounded you.Larry: My first rival was Joe Weinstein. Ivanko pays them a lisence fee to approve their stuff and Texas Power Bar doesn't! Didn't he check up the rule-book? View Profile View Forum Posts . Who is that? JOHN INZER An elite lifter, Inzer invented the bench shirtsupportive equipment that allowed for bigger lifts. Mike Bridges - 512 lb Raw Bench @ 181 lbs (232.5 @ 82.5 kgs) 2,478 views Aug 19, 2016 35 Dislike Share Save Lexington Plummer 1.52K subscribers From the 1982 USPF Sr Nat'ls, Mike Bridges. I was a gymnast in New York where I grew up. John is what every new young powerlifter wants to be. Consider this 2008 American Physiological Society study, which found that the benefits of steroids in powerlifters can last several years beyond when the drugs leave their body. 1983Mens Senior Nationals How about a total of 2105 lb at 181lb body weight. [quote=An IPF member]I have a Texas Power Bar and it weighs 20kg. This Make your morning email scroll and coffee stronger. Everything at this meet was ran by the guys in the uniforms! I hope this does not come true. I was married three times.Lou: How many world records did you break in your illustrious career?Larry: 54Lou: I know you had rivals along the way. Lou: You had a lot of lifters come stay with you such as Mike Bridges who you said was the strongest man under 200 pounds. some even fresh from factory seem unduly "slick"! I heard from a reliable source that a lot of effort was made to remedy the situation but it was what it was. When squatting is being talked about , you can be sure that Hatfield will be named at the top. The squat racks used at that meet were illegal as they could possibly get accoding to mandates of the IPF. Carl said "I realize that rules are rules but, don't shoot the horse because the jockey was overweight." Oh they won't have to erase the meet results, no. The movement standards of powerlifting competitions are going to be a significant challenge. Joe came alive within months with some lifting that is still admired today. There I said it for you. WAS THE PAPER IT WAS WRITTEN ON WAS THE RIGHT SIZE! Everyone knows that politics are stupid when it comes between a person and a hard earned accomplishment but if they let it stand then everyone will say "hey, what could have so-n-so done on a Texas Power bar instead of those whippy Ivankos?" Bridges weighed just. You've probably never heard of him, but he's one of the strongest men who's ever lived, and he was a powerlifting god in the early 1980s. When they had reattached my finger weeks earlier, they put a long pin through the top of the finger. Squat: 260kg/573.2lb(WR) If possible, structure your training as follows: Mon - Bench day Weds -Deadlift day Fri - Squat day Day 1 (Monday) Bench day: Joe "The Lad" Ladnier Mississippi Monster, Free Shipping with a $69 qualifying order. Squat: 227.5kg/501lb Haven't watched it yet, but fwiw Bridges benched 529 raw at 181, and Fred Hatfield called him probably the best pound-for-pound powerlifter of all time. Rank. My training poundage started climbing again and I felt more and more like busting it in the gym again. This was thursday--start making calls. Copyright 2023 elitefts. A week later Mac and I were on a jet headed for Los Angeles. If this is your first visit, be sure to The distinction between the groups histories with strength-enhancing drugs is important because these drugs dont just flush out completely they can leave a lasting impact. Reports have surfaced that the IPF will take those records from Bridges due to the fact that Texas Power Bars were used at the event instead of IPF approved equipment. That makes Booker about 62 percent stronger than Schwarzenegger was in his prime. Deadlift: 320kg/705.48lb, Lee Moran (Birth date: may 17, 1955 Died july 15, 1999). Week 7: 4 x 4 (55% of 1-RM) Week 8: Deload (50% of 1-RM) Week 9: 4 x 3 (75% of 1-RM) Week 10: 3 x 2 (90% OF 1-RM) This is a basic program to allow you to progress quickly. [/quote] ivanko bars suck. The rescue squad got there in 10 minutes and away I went. I checked the rules on the USAPL site and they just referenced the IPF rules. I hope it wasnt 45lbs cos USAPL/IPF rules stipulate metric measures Did the meet director think for one moment all the WORLD RECORDS unassailable at the MEN'S NATIONALS? First offcongrats M.B on the records. That has got to be more dangerous that squatting without wraps. Jons training lifts around 2300lb! Bridges was one of many record holders or top level men that included Marvin . Best Lifts: The problem was discovered on Thursday. [quote=Travis Werner]I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. Yes, a 198 weighed 198 not 225 at meet time with todays 24-hour weigh-ins.I recall weighing less after a meet back in those days. 7. Can you imagine a man that tiny hoisting a dead lift of nearly 600lb. Just lift it! Now, while I was there Mike Lambert of Powerlifting USA took the first picture of my hand and ran it in the January 1981 Issue the same issue that ran the results of the 80 worlds. 2. I went to get up but the pin was hooked into the carpet and I couldn't move. When we competed against each other I won 575 to 505. And it's still very hard for me to write after all these years. In powerlifting, competitors vie to lift the heaviest weight possible for one rep. on USA SOIL! And Don Reinhoudt the SHW world champ. It's NOT a 45lb bar. Orders shipped out within 1 - 5 business days. this meet director, the ipf (USAPL) refs who inspected the platform and weights, and the USAPL EC members present, tech sec, all of these should be held directly responsible for what was discovered thursday and they did not work to correct. He was right. 711 still weighs 711 on a Texas Power Bar or an Ivanko! They were called Spanjam. All right reserved. Show Printable Version; 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM #1. It's NOT a 45lb bar. In the meet Paul tore a quad and broke an ankle. Log in or register to post comments So in a desperate effort, I rolled to my left and the fucking pin pulled all the way out. My training as a 65er back in the day was pretty intense and with pretty good results. My friend Arnold Coleman broke Mike's and Gene Bell's total record at the 2005 Arnold Classic. oh yeah and IPF who gets the SPONSOR FUNDING EVERY YEAR for keeping them APPROVED. The world is blessed with FED ex overnight, next MORNING, [quote=Anonymous] Heres how those numbers compare for each lift.7. Note: During the BFCM sales period all sales are final.Thus, no returns will accepted. Now all the anonymous guys can come on here and bash the IPF for requiring approved equipment for records. XTREME SQUATTING-book, XTREME DEADLIFTING-book, & ADVANCED POWERLIFTING TECHIQUES-DVD. I never saw such a lifting machine. Dan is a poor bencher when it comes to fellows his weight, but he more than makes up for it in other two lifts. That number is even more amazing when you consider that at the 1968 German powerlifting championships, 176-pound Arnold Schwarzenegger squatted 460 pounds. Brand spankin new bar, just no center knurling. Michael Bridges. It took 29 years for someone to break this raw bench record mark, set by a man that looked like a clerk at Home Depot. See, they cannot make an exception for a USA lifter because USA would beef huge IF a russian had an improper bar and broke records too price of having approved bars, weights, and rules. I can attest to that because I lifted in the Master's Nat's in Charlottesville, VA and along with a IPF Cat I ref, pointed out a number of infrations which where simply explained away. Best Lifts: It may linger and help him kick ass for years to come. Just lift it! Then Ronnie Ray from Texas and a guy they called Mel Hennessey of Minnesota. Best Lifts: I realize that rules are rules but, don't shoot the horse because the jockey was overweight. The one thing that keeps Lee from the world record total is a poor deadlift. barbell | 21K views, 632 likes, 8 loves, 38 comments, 118 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Old School Strength: Powerlifting legend Mike Bridges deadlifts ~617 lb in the 198 lb weight class. [/quote]The Ivanko bars were not used because they arrived from the manufacturer without center knurlings. I flew back to Louisville every other week for two months. Best Lifts: Deadlift: 372.5kg/821lb. 1983 Mens Senior Nationals At a national level meet you should have equipment more than 2 days prior to a meet. Mike is a World IPF Champion, IPF World Record Holder, 2008 Masters World Champion with 4 Gold Medals, and 2007 World Bench Press Gold Medalist. Well, finally the final chapter to this event: As I mentioned, Mac Richards came back down to pick me up in Louisville. ive seen a little on his training also here it goes. They called Mel the king of the bench press. Michael. Mike is going to get robbed because it's an IPF rule, tpb isn't approved equipment and so he's getting american records. Guys felt like they had to take them to stay competitive, and that became problematic, Gaynor said. My team was also lifting, including Eric Stuber, Mac Richards, John Topsoglou, and several others. I couldn't sleep on the flight. MIKE BRIDGES As a 50-year-old, set records in the squat and bench press. An athlete lives at the whim of a sports rules, and when those rules change, so can their career. Larry: Yes. [quote=mark roskell]its not the fault of the ipf, but the stuff up of the meet directors!!! All rights reserved. In that meet there were four men who would become IPF World Champs: Milt McKenzie, George Crawford, Vince Anello and, last but not least, Larry Pacifico, the subject of this article. I doubt it, that's wishful thinking and USAPL is at fault. After the last time you would think they would be extra careful to see it didnt happen again. On October 4, 1980 I lifted at a meet in Dayton, Ohio that I promoted. [quote=Roger Ryan]I agree Buddy. Mike Bridges' DVD series. Steroids also tend to decrease body fat. Many years ago, Mike Bridges was one of the reasons I started powerlifting. do you think that maxing every week will hinder progress? And your team Power Elite with your lifters including Topsogov Studer. [quote=Jeff Fiss]Harold put on a great meet. It was a beautiful day to drive, but once we got 50 miles away, Mac said we needed to pull over. He lifted like what he was, a world champiom. WTF!! While they were undoubtedly unbeatable, they were untested for the most part. How about dougs billing squat 985lb. I unhooked it and stood up. Its also important to note that competitions use different weight-class systems. In the meantime, Dan has squatted 960lb and has made valid attempts to be the first with 900 in the deadlift. 2023 Westside Barbell. For example, 7 sets x 3 reps at a lower percentage (50-60%) of . And at 51 I expect to take it even higher next week at the APF Georgia. My boyfriend was in the area on Thursday afternoon when several referees told the Technical Sec that something was wrong with the bar and they were told it was OK, it was an old Ivenko Bar. But while he was doing amazing feats of strength, Larry also was always making a judge, Jerom Weiss, mad. The squats went well. True, Jack. One official got yelled at for asking about the bar while my boyfriend was checking his rack height later on thursday. They had time to get another bar!!! [quote=Harold Gaines]I was the Meet Director for this event and I would like to put to rest this issue (if possible). It wasn't as meteculous years ago when the USAPL was first cutting their teeth after becoming the IPF affiliate. Records should not have to be sacrificed because of this. Just the fact that the TPB is 45lbs makes it not meet all requirements for use. Just a few years before, powerlifters had been using PEDs in low doses to help their muscles recover; maybe they gained a bit of an edge, but it wasnt overtly noticeable. Raw Nationals is drug-tested, and the Classic Worlds tests but perhaps not as strictly as the USAPL event. BUT, as a lifter at the meet who is not capable of setting world records, I was very happy when I learned that we would be using a Texas Power Bar. Squat: 410kg/903lb And then one day it was over.Larry: Yes I have had 16 surgeries from powerlifting including one freak accident when I almost cut my fingers off when I dropped a bar on myself.Lou: I know you were one of the first to sell power knee wraps and suits.Larry: Yes. Every so often an athlete shows an exceptional talent in his sport that baffles the mind. I have a Texas Power Bar and it weighs 20kg. Mike Bridges ( Birth date: february 1, 1957) Who is that? It went all the way down except for about half an inch. I guess better an old fart than an old tu*d! Anyway, I digress. Use was rampant, but that didnt mean every lifter wanted to pump himself full of chemicals. Thanks.Louie Simmons. And they'd be American records. its not the fault of the ipf, but the stuff up of the meet directors!!! The top of the pin stuck out about a quarter inch with a tiny loop that bent around. Squat: 365kg/804.69lb I had plenty of ice packed around my hand. way to go!!! Some powerlifting meets drug test, and some dont. Ken Lain DVD's. Tape 1 - Add 50 to 75 lbs To Your Bench Press. Sign up for our newsletter and get new articles sent straight to your inbox weekly. And in Daytona, Ohio, eight weeks later he made a 590-pound bench press at 228 bodyweight. By this time I was pouring sweat and time was running out. Bridges weighed just 173 pounds, but at the 1983 U.S. Powerlifting Federations (USPF) national championships, he bench pressed, squatted and dead lifted1 a combined 2,011 pounds. Hes laid down a base of muscle that doesnt just dry up when the drugs do. When you squat 800 pounds, every joint in your body needs to be optimally aligned. (course they also did drug tests on mike but odds are those won't be a problem). Benchpress: 265kg/584lb I find that while the weight I lift is less, the intensity is still high and with decent results but I stay sore longer. As a lifter who has done both USAPL and IPF meets, I suspect you will be denied your records as they both are inflexible and it's the rule book. His total outdid his closest competiton by some 150lb. The manufacture send Bench bars with the middle knurling missing and no one in the area had the right bars! That has got to be more dangerous that squatting without wraps. Mike Bridges The Peoria Powerhouse as told to POWERLIFTING USA by Herb Glossbrenner Great Form from the beginning. This is powerlifting not Olympic weightlifting no need for some Broz type of nonsense. Men (65+) 2022 open 28th Worldwide. We did not know this in advance. My middle finger and both the fingers on each side were caught. Bench: 227.5kg/501.55lb And there were no bench shirts until 1984, so his bench was raw as they say nowadays. He has broken over 100 combined Nationals and World Records in his storied career. He said, "Okay, just be sure you're at the gate in time." 600lb bench and a deadlift of 815 for a world record total of 2400 pounds. 3. Terry Todd isn't merely the United States' first national powerlifting champion (in 1964 and '65), he was also the first man to total 1,600, 1,700, 1,800, and 1,900 pounds. [quote=Anonymous]And squating without center knurling??? Within three hours I was on the operating table. TPB makers stood to gain by keeping the sponsorship fee up, after all, it's a BUSINESS. screw it. Steve Powell has uploaded video of the first two squat attempts of powerlifting legend and pre-meet favorite, Mike Bridges (198), at the USAPL CON-CRET Raw Challenge at the Arnold Classic. Records should not have to be sacrificed because of this. Then the bar hit the supporting brace below the bench on the left side. Squat: 446.7kg/984.4lb He was and is the strongest man under 200 pounds I ever saw. Pacificos best competition lifts are an 832-pound squat, 592-pound bench press (without a bench shirt), a 771-pound deadlift, and a 2061-pound total. Everyone knows that politics are stupid when it comes between a person and a hard earned accomplishment but if they let it stand then everyone will say "hey, what could have so-n-so done on a Texas Power bar instead of those whippy Ivankos?" What reports? Do guys in anything-goes competitions regularly hoist heavier weights than guys in drug-tested meets?3 Why allow PED use at all? The meet director did the best he could given the circumstances and the pass given with the equipment presented for inspection. What gives? The bar used met ALL IPF specs with the exception that it was not on the paid list of approved bars. reality check will be if the IPF can look beyond that and do what is right for the lifters who set the records. Brand spankin new bar, just no center knurling. [/quote] SPECIAL. They had time to get another bar!!! I'm fine Jesse! Of course, it would be nave to assume that some lifters at tested events werent using PEDs. However they are coming out with a 29mm bar that should be just as stiff as an Elieko or Leoko. this meet director, the ipf (USAPL) refs who inspected the platform and weights, and the USAPL EC members present, tech sec, all of these should be held directly responsible for what was discovered thursday and they did not work to correct. As for everyone saying ivanko bars are shit because they are so whippy you have to remember they were actually designed for weightlifting. I envied Larry for having such good training partners and a coach like Bob Matz. First of all, congratulations on a stellar performance that puts you IMO in the class with Inaba of Japan and other lifters who throw the gauntlet in the face of Father Time. Without a doubt, he wasthe greatest of the 275 pounders. Then, around the mid-70s, people realized that taking huge doses increased their lifts, said Bob Gaynor, a powerlifting historian and competitive lifter from the era. Interesting!If you actually do train at maximum intensity (many think they do) there are some changes that you will have to make as you get older (no set age). My friend Eric Stuber and the two side spotters couldn't even react in time. Power bodybuilding requires you to re-learn technique and reach new movement standards. (365.5 kg). way to go!!! Deadlift: 320kg/705.48lb. KT Tape is the first-ever kinesiology tape to come in pre-cut strips specifically designed for consumer use. If this is how the IPF treats their lifters it's no wonder that the WPC Eurasian Cup has 635 lifters pre- registered to lift! Second, to the meet directors "if" they(IPF) actually does wipe out the records, it will be your fault, not the IPF's. Why?? Putt Houston. now with more Bom Chicka Wahwahhhhhh, http://usapowerliftingforum.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=12709. Mel has benchpressed 535lb, squatted 535lb and deadlifted 600lb. GIVE ME A BREAK. I've also, place 2nd once, and 3rd twice in the 'open' class since age 47 in World Championships. Jeff King: An update on a Bodybuilding Legend, Consent Management Platform by Real Cookie Banner. When we discovered the mistake we did the best we could and used the bar that was available. fed ex, several people with bars in ATTENDANCE who could have had fed ex deliver them, there's NO EXCUSE in this day and age. When you talk about bench pressing, I have to enter Teds name for he is the only other person to do what I have done , bench press in excess of 700lb. Back then I was a big man with a big chest. In my opinion, it's a horrible situation all the way around. best of luck to everyone concerned with this! Some have tested and non-tested divisions; others randomly test a minimum of 10 percent of their lifters; and the rest the majority, in fact dont test at all. A winner of five world championships and several world record. He started lifting at 58 and was that one-in-a-thousand who had that Special Super Strength. @Michael_Easter, Steroids (6 posts) In total, the lifters at Raw Unity put up about 17.44 percent more weight than the lifters at the USAPL competition and 3.46 percent more than those at the IPF meet. The Hall of Fame began with just male lifters and officials, but started including female lifters since 1987. . See you in Georgia! So, after the 1983 IPF event, he and others formed the American Drug-Free Powerlifting Federation. John in a way is like the great Doug Young, but stronger. Here's my finger today. [quote=Brian Mc][quote=Travis Werner]I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. The power lifts are the bench press, squat and dead lift. Reply . Mike Bridges - Bridges was one of the greatest powerlifters of all time, competing in the 165 and 181 pound classes. I bought it in the park and it was the "official hat of the team" and part of the money I payed was toward the license fee the hat company payed the baseball organization. But it will inevitabably follow the same process. so yes, some records were set with tpb. It is the one meet I would EXPECT to see someone do a good record break! Mac's first meet was two months before this when he qualified to lift in Victorville. Many powerlifters even on high level don't train more than 3-5 times a week. The events draw the best lifters in the sport of raw powerlifting, which means the men dont use assistance gear.4 As previously mentioned, Raw Unity doesnt drug test. How is this the USAPL shooting themselves in the foot? George has spread his body weight from 242 pounds all the way to the high 300s. Most guys at the USAPL meet, on the other hand, tend to not do steroids, he said. I am aware of the wrong bar that was shipped because I warmed up with it in the warm up room. When planning ahead for the meet today, I had to ask myself if I was capable of creating conditions in which records could be set and make it known to the lifters who entered the meet today whether the conditions in which they would find would or was not condusive to setting any records. Today, there are about eight larger federations and tens of smaller ones. I recall weighing less after a meet back in those days. I've never really changed anything. I must have said 5 pounds which was a 2.5kg jump[MCJ2]. I hope this does not come true. We can still make new gains and new PR's well into our master careers but we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us more. My hand was slipping off the bar when it hit. Mike Bridges - 755 lb Deadlift @ 181 lbs (342.5 @ 82.5 kgs) Lexington Plummer 1.59K subscribers 3.8K views 6 years ago Mike Bridges deadlifts 755 lbs on his third attempt to consolidate a. Giant to appreciate his size. For all weight classes, world records in bench press, squat and dead lift are, on average, 7.9, 6.0 and 6.4 percent heavier, respectively, when the competition doesnt test for PEDs. I weighed 150 pounds back then.Lou: When you moved to Dayton what was your occupation? He was right.After 10 yearsfrom 1970 to 1980I won my first nationals with my first top-ten bench.