Joe Biden's Plan to Forgive Student Debt is in the Hands of the Supreme Court. The Muses were some of Disney's first characters who all read as an explicit celebration of Blackness without being sandboxed into Disney's Black Movie Mould, which makes them an important part of the larger animation landscape. Fans of Nickelodeon's Victorious, FX's Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, and The CW's Dynasty can attest to the fact that Gillies has the pipes and the attitude to be the next Megara. Its latest live-action take on a beloved animated classic may not have had the chance to come out. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). Soon after, the Muses manifest in statues, busts, and engravings to sing backup with Megara to the song "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)", during which Megara initially denies but finally accepts her love for Hercules. At this point, it's all a guessing game. The Russos updated in early 2021 that they were awaiting a script before moving forward through development. 2023 Cond Nast. Produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, the musical had a tryout at the . Herc doesn't sport a beard in the film, but this is a new age let's get into the facial hair, Disney! Television: TV series House of Mouse What is their expectation of what that musical looks like and feels like? At the time a live-action Hercules was not announced, and now we have a screenwriter and producers attached to the project. As of like, today, Disney announced that Hercules aka the gem of a movie that gave us the bops "Zero to Hero" and "I Won't Say I'm in Love"is getting a live-action remake, meaning you can once again see a fave childhood classic come alive on the big screen. The Muses larger significance was something that might have been lost on non-Black theatergoers who dont quite understand what it meant to see and hear elements of Black culture and Black people put front and center in a way that was intentionally reverential and not at all disparaging. And he has experience with the role, playing around with the gods of Asgard in the Avengers movies. To put it quite simply: Characters like the Muses simply didnt exist in Disneys movies before Hercules. Fireworks: Happily Ever After Harmonious Momentous Wishes: A Magical Gathering of Disney Dreams Wonderful World of Animation Illuminate! The final muse in our lineup, Melpomene, is the Muse of Tragedy. Russo pointed to TikTok as a source of inspiration for the adaptation. The internet is abuzz after news dropped of a possible live-action adaptation of 1997s Hercules, with fans calling for appropriate casting the Musesthe sisters who brought gospel and soul to the animated hit. They first appear when they find the original narrator's way of telling the story of Hercules as being too depressing. Aside from her work on Hercules, she was also a cast member on Sesame Street in 1992, Evette in Pieces of April, and in a supporting role in 2000s How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Joe Bidens State of the Union Speech Backed Republicans Into a Corner, The president put GOP threats to cut Social Security and Medicare on public display, prompting a wave of jeers from House Republicans, with one outright accusing Biden of being a liar., Joe Biden Should Be a Voice for Tyre Nichols at the State of the Union. Most projects can be made or undone. She could proclaim whoever she wants as a hero and I'd believe it was the gospel truth! We're not here to question Normani's dance moves because I think we've said plenty enough there. The singer-rapper duo previously appeared in the movie Hustlers together. Privacy Policy. w[ l ].push( { The young hero is showered with money and leaves hand-prints in the star promenade (along with Pegasus leaving the imprints of his hooves) and continues enjoying himself as Hades sends a succession of creatures which Hercules easily defeats. The Hercules track, "Go The Distance," was nominated for an Oscar, but ended up losing to Titanic 's "My Heart Will Go On." But that's not Hercules' fault, nothing was going to stop Titanic. Disneyisn't slowing down when it comes to live-action remakes or re-imaginings of their classic animated characters, with their most recent venture being the origin storyCruellastarring Emma Stone as Cruella De Vil. Her powerful voice carried throughout theatres in New York, and she was the perfect choice for this elegant and empowering role. Each Muse narrates the story in her own way, but is a force, honey. Their instant comedic chemistry would allow the pair to bring their own takes to the characters and lead to no shortage of funny moments. RT @kingpoIIo: this was lizzo's audition to be one of the muses in the hercules live action movie . Calliope is the eldest of the nine Muses, and her most notable trait was that she had a beautiful singing voice. /* ]]> */ This movie is iconic for so many reasons, and it deserves to be in the spotlight again. We may earn a commission from links on this page. Whether it's through voiceover, motion-capture, or physically playing the character, DeVito deserves to return to the role of the cynical satyr with a heart of gold who serves as Herc's trainer and friend. Summer: Stitch and Friends Summer Surprise Join the Spring Creek High School drama and music departments for laughs and songs set in ancient Rome. Bless my soul, animated Disney classic Hercules is getting a live-action remake! The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Disney's Hercules is getting a live-action remake! Ariana Grande Performs 'I Won't Say I'm In Love' - The Disney Family Singalong, What We Know About the Live Action "Hercules", Behold, the Ultimate Disney Song Playlist, Meghan Markle Is Narrating This Disney+ Doc, There Are Tons Of Disney Ride-Throughs On YouTube, Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. And up next, it sounds like we'll be seeingHercules go from "zero to hero," once again. Vanity Fair may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. The Muses are supporting characters in Disney 's 1997 animated feature film Hercules. So far, their ideas are remarkably on-point. Look at those dimples and tell me that they don't make you want to call out for "Hunkules"! Though it's worth noting that Mulan eliminated the musical aspect from its live-action adaptation (a.k.a. Image from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQzJkA00Af8. Deadline reports that the Aladdin director is helming the long-rumored live-action remake of the studios 1997 fan favorite, Hercules. Hudson explained that she'd already portrayed the head muse, Calliope, in a stage show on the Disney Wonder cruise ship titled "Hercules: The Muse-ical" where she worked before her career took off on "American Idol." "That means I'm ready for my part," she stated before launching into a few very convincing bars from the film's opening number. Their live-action models were either black and white women. Hear me out, I want Kelly to be one of the muses for the live-action Hercules because of that choir in her throat! Because Disney is nothing if not Disney, the fact that the studio is moving forward with a plan to Greek mythology, but mainly because of the five goddesses who led you through the story with a series of songs that were as outstanding as they were decidedly surprising to hear in a story about Zeus son facing his trials. Anika Noni Rose. They were also secondary narrators of the film as elite songstress who would burst out in choir tunes. Comes with twelve different courses comprised of a huge number of lessons, and each one will help you learn more about Python itself, and can be accessed when you want and as often as you want forever, making it ideal for learning a new skill. Two years after Disney announced the live-action adaptation of the 1997 animated classic, Guy Ritchie has been. Who would I cast as the Hercules muses?1) Jennifer Hudson2) Karen Clark-Sheard 3) Tasha Cobb4) Alicia Keys5) Toni Braxton pic.twitter.com/OXS1SucKEA, heard hercules is getting a live action remake and thought i'd drop the only fan cast i care about. No problem. However, music is an essential part of the Hercules movie. Our editors handpick the products that we feature. TikToks Favorite Celebrity Couple Is Kim Kardashian and Michael Cera. In the myth she is the mother of Orpheus, and daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne she is the sister of Terpsichore and the other muses also sister of Apollo, Dionysus, Artemis, Athena, Ares, Hermes and Hercules. The Stranger Things actor brought a vulnerability to his hard-to-like antagonist that I would love to see on our favorite hunky demigod. Page sparks a great conversation about how casting too often comes down to outward appearance over who is better for a character, and her casting ideas are on point. Twitter has thoughts on who should be cast in the movie. The best musical instrument is a love triangle. The ones who weren't used are: At one point during "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)", the Muses appear as. I can respect that. Hercules is the prime example of the Disney live-action remake problem, in my humble opinion. But right now, the Mouse seems focused on live-action remakes of the renaissance film era. s = d.createElement('script'); Amber Riley has been mounting quite the social media campaign trying to get a part as a Muse, the '60s-girl-group styled storytellers of this adaptation of Hercules. Hader as Hades would mean playing up the comedic side of the villain, but that's the best part of the Underworld's leader! This might be my greatest casting choice; it's as if Nigel from The Devil Wears Prada became a god. Per Variety, the live-action Hercules will be directed by Guy Ritchie, who directed the successful 2019 live-action remake of Aladdin. Seeing how he reprised the role of Abu for theAladdinremake, it would make sense for Welker to do the same for the role of Pegasus in aHercules remake. Outside of the journalism world, some of her joys include delving into book recommendations from TikTok, listening to pop culture podcasts, and playing with her dog, Theo. Yes, I wish to receive exclusive discounts, special offers and competitions from our partners. This would make them half-sisters of Hercules. Disneys Hercules Remake Gets Guy Ritchie to Direct It, Soras Smash Reveal Forgot To Bring The Disney, Meet The Erotica Author Whos Making Disney Villains Fuck, Travel To The Wonderful Worlds Of Disney With These Beautiful Posters. All rights reserved. As seen on that show and onDynasty, Gillies has the dry, cynical sense of humor and seductive charisma that would fit Meg perfectly, though she could just as easily portray the hurt soul underneath that's forced into working with Hades. She gon blend in with the other 4 so good I'm telling ya . The Renaissance Problem. Hercules: The Muse-ical Mickey's Gift of Dreams Once Upon a Mouse Villains Tonight! One Good Man You're My Hero. Clio was the Muse of History, with her serving as the one who embraces everyone at all corners of the world, and celebrating historical accomplishments. Disney would be remiss not to reach out to Riley with a contract in hand! While so much of Hercules cleaved to the demigods narrative roots, the Muses stood out because of how well their framing as an all-knowing girl group fit into their traditional characterization as the embodiments of the arts. All her writing should be read in Sarah Connors Terminator 2 voice over. Turn to Twitter, where people are posting their ideal dream casts for the Hercules live-action remake. Hercules is an animated movie that was released by Disney in 1997. Followers of her work think she is an obvious fit as a muse in the Hercules live-action film. They function as a literal Greek Chorus telling the story and singing a majority of the songs in the film. LaChanze is an advocate for Black artists, as the Vice President of Black Theatre United. He was basically prepping for the role while playing Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. Despite these dreams for her daughter, Vaneese headed to college just outside of Philadelphia, where she would start a gospel choir. Dream Disney live action Hercules cast:Hercules - Tom HollandMeg - Ariana GrandeHades - Hugh JackmanZeus - The RockPhil - Danny DeVitoMuses - Lizzo, Jennifer Hudson, Normani, Megan Thee Stallion, SZAPain & Panic: Billy Eichner and Tituss Burgess pic.twitter.com/mK0ROuSi27. Judi Dench Says It's Become Impossible to Learn Her Lines Due to Eyesight Loss. Again. '&l=' + l : ''; Another soulful songstress lands on my list for the Muses, and Brandy has the presence and vocal power to shine in the role! Her voice has travelled from cabarets to various concert halls, as well as onto the TV and film screens. Elena Nicolaou is the former culture editor at Oprah Daily. Ad Choices, Set to be produced by the Russo brothers and directed by Guy Ritchie, a more experimental live action, The 42 Best Romantic Comedies of All Time, The 25 Best Shows on Netflix to Watch Right Now. h = d.getElementsByTagName('head')[0], The other Gods and Goddesses, however, are presented in various, different colors (pink, red, blue, grey, purple, green), so it might be a coincidence. 28 Feb 2023 23:17:07 We may earn commission from the links on this page. Now that Meredith is gone, it is business as usual at Grey Sloan Memorial. Menken has composed numerous Disney movies, including Hercules, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid. As their domain lies in the arts, they exist virtually anywhere they are presented or portrayed as a work of art (like paintings, statues, etc.) "When In Rome" starts its three-night run March 6 in the Spring Creek Multipurpose Room . Her father Rufus Thomas was one of the first blues artists to be signed by Sun Records, the same record label Elvis was discovered by. Kurt Russell is clearly Zeus. Her time on Broadway she spanned across 31 seasons, with award winning roles such as Celie in The Color Purple, Ti Moune in One on this Island, and Wiletta in Trouble in Mind. Patel has shown off his beautiful voice in films like Yesterday, and he's totally handsome enough to be a demigod. Released in 1997, the Mouse House's animated Hercules re-imagined the tale of the titular mythological hero . They appear briefly in the Phineas and Ferb episode "Greece Lightning", on a vase in the museum. Her years on Glee proved she's always been a powerhouse vocalist (not just anyone wins Olivier awards for best actress in a musical!) Breaking down the contenders in the seasons most unpredictable Oscar race. Alladin has already wowed audiences in the role of Hercules for the Public Theater's Public Works' musical adaptation of the film, so why not have him bring that earnestness to the big screen?! Hercules live action Muses dream cast:Amber RileyAnika Noni RoseJennifer HudsonCynthia ErivoYolanda Adams I said what I said! The actress is gifted at portraying strong women with a bit of guardedness that Megara is well-known for, and making us fall in love with them. The Muses are presented in Hercules as the five lovely goddesses whose domain lies in the arts, and they sing of the tales of ancient Greece in a gospel choir style. https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/movies/Hercules/, https://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/The_Muses/the_muses.html, https://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/nine-muses-in-greek-mythology/, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj51-H6YUCw, https://collider.com/disney-hercules-muses-bridge-between-ancient-story-modern-audience/, https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/MousaKalliope.html, https://www.discogs.com/artist/278710-Vaneese-Thomas, https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/MousaThaleia.html, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalia_(Muse), https://www.mslachanze.com/about-lachanze/, https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/MousaTerpsikhore.html, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terpsichore, https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/MousaMelpomene.html, https://www.artistsandbeyond.com/cherylfreeman, disneyland, disneyparks, afternoonave, toontown, mickeymouse, mickey, minniemouse, donaldduck, goofy, videogame, game, disneyclassicsgames, disneyhistory, https://vocal.media/geeks/musing-on-the-muses, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6vDzkrAcc, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQzJkA00Af8, The Disney Renaissance Animated Television Series. 6.1M views 3 years ago It's an HONOR to bring together the 5 most talented, fabulous & beautiful boys I know to remake The Muses! Lawrence: The Muses, as a whole, are quick-witted, lighthearted, super smart, kick-butt, powerhouse divas. If James Earl Jones was able to come back as Mufasa for the remake ofThe Lion King, then Danny DeVito should be allowed to play Phil again in theHercules remake. s.src = 'https://au-script.dotmetrics.net/door.js?d=' + document.location.host + '&t=other'; h.appendChild(s); Not to mention that her singing voice is amazing and that hearing her perform "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" would be an absolute delight. Disney is doing a Hercules live-action movie, and I honestly don't care who plays Hercules or Meg. Titaness Mnemosyne was the Goddess of Memory, in which that trait was passed down to her daughters. Naturally, Zeus and Hades make appearances, too. Disney Wiki is a FANDOM Movies Community. After all, there would be no Hercules without the Muses peppering the action with wise (and hummable) commentary. window.dm = window.dm ||{ AjaxData:[]}; During his career, the prolific actor inhabited an array of troubled characters. She is also known as the Muse of epic poetry and eloquence. margin-top: -19px; }. Terpsichore is often depicted holding a lyre. Allyson Waller is freelance writer for the Daily Dot. Absolutely. This content is imported from poll. Can Anyone Predict Whos Going to Win Best Supporting Actress? See Photos of Her Baby, Jane Fonda Regrets the Type of Mother She Was, Al's Facial Expressions on 'Today' Are Everything. Though they still serve their purpose of providing song, dance, and storytelling to the film, their sound and look follow more of a Gospel and R&B style. While Bobcat Goldthwait and Matt Frewer reprising their roles from the original film as the bumbling henchmen of Hades would be fun, having the always hysterical pair of Nick Kroll and John Mulaney play Pain and Panic respectively would be a dream come true. Its also precisely why the Muses in the live-action Hercules should also be portrayed by Black women. Until then, the next live-action Disney films are The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan & Wendy. Disney 'Hercules' Live Action to Be Directed by Guy Ritchie bless my soul! That last personality trait could play a larger role in the story as a whole, as Pfeiffer's Hera would be determined to find Hercules, perhaps even coming into conflict with Hades while doing so. We can't help but wonder what a live-action casting of The Muses would look like, so here a few choices . In most myths, the Muses are the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne. Thankfully, however, the actor also has a photographic memory. A tie-in video game, titled Hercules Action Game, was developed by Eurocom and released in July 1997 for the PC and PlayStation. Playing Hercules would be the right step in that direction. The South Carolina senator is reportedly making moves to launch a White House bid, joining an already crowded list of potential candidatesa scenario Donald Trumps team is likely very giddy about. Lizzo is active on TikTok, most famously for her posts connecting her and Chris Evans, so she came across the side of the social media platform casting her in the Hercules movie. Jelani Alladin, who received acclaim for his performance in Hercules at the Public Theater, is another likely choice for the demigod. Halloween: Disney's Not So Spooky Spectacular Disney Villains Wicked Gathering Frightfully Fun Parade Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular Maze of Madness: The Nightmare Experiment Continues Mickey's Boo-to-You Halloween Parade Re-Villains! Audiences today have been trained by TikTok, right? (They are not expected to direct the new film.) The Orange Is the New Black and Doom Patrol actress would be perfect to bring some nuance to our emotionally troubled Grecian. If there is anyone whose name is basically synonymous with Queen, it's Angela Bassett. My preferences have changed, but all the choices presented are totally viable and fun. The pop singer mastered Meg's song, "I Won't Say I'm In Love" for The Disney Family Singalong special, and publicly called Hercules her favorite movie. In Theogony, a poem by Hesiod, an ancient Greek poet, he says that there were originally 9 Muses, all with unique names and powers. Its music, characters, love story, family angle and villainous challenges make Hercules one of the most well loved Disney movies ever, with it receiving almost triple the revenue from the worldwide box office based on their budget. All I know is The Muses better be casted perfectly.I want the gospel theatrics, the melismas, all of it. While many have suggested Ariana Grande for the role, herVictoriousco-star Elizabeth Gillies would be a much better fit. And who you can expect to see performing and presenting. Give Astin the chance and he'll go the distance with the role. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google The Wagner opera returns to the Met for the first time in 17 years. Covering the hottest movie and TV topics that fans want. The one she chose to react to is a commentary on users' tendency to imagine her as the shortest and heaviest of the bunch, just because she is a full-figured pop singer. Enter your email below. Fans ofPitch PerfectandZoey's Extraordinary Playlist willknow that Skylar Astin is legitimately talented. Why Banning TikTok Wont Protect Our Privacy, An Alien Conspiracy Looms in Sci-Fi Thriller, The 2023 Complete Python Certification Bootcamp Bundle, produce a live-action adaptation of its 1997. Please refresh the page and try again. The Muses in Greek Mythology. In paintings and sculptures, she is often portrayed with a scroll in one hand, representing her way with poetry. /*