Burley and Oriental tobbaccos harmonize and smoothen the taste. All rights reserved. I like this so much! This is my first crumble cake, and I found it to be fun and easy to prepare. How much latakia is too much? Maybe once a week. It was very nice from start to finish. 16 ounces/ 1 pound $39.90. Detailed segmentation of international and local products. I pack it somewhat loosly and it lights easily and burns nicely. This is a good blend if you really want to know what "Latakia Forward" means. Pirate Kake is kind of a one note smoke; it doesn't really seem to have any complexity to it. A Latakia blast similar to the ones which built the Hoover dam. But what does come as a surprise, even though this packs a heady punch of smokiness, there's still a small amount of room for the nutty Burley and woody Oriental's; the Burley more-so. I like to pack it a bit more moist than usual as I find that releases more of the flavor. I recommend this strongly if you are a Latakia lover. The crumble cake is easy to pack, the smell is strong smoky. My usually very lenient significant other told me not only to kindly leave the house, but leave the county before I smoke this blend again. Leaves Penzance (also 5 stars) a mile behind. do so, it is very very good. We all know that to us Cyprus is famous for its Latakia, but I must wonder if this one is not prepared over orange wood fires (orange orchards being another forte of Cyprus). For as heavy and robust a smoke it is regarding flavor, it is also an incredibly mild smoke. . to my last order tried a bit when it arrived and again it was a bit sharp but enjoyable. Have a great trip to Davy Jones locker! It gets one dimensional thru the bowl, in that Latakia dominates the experience and ultimately numbs the senses too much. Definitely now in my rotation. That is why this blend should not be compared with Dunhill EMP, or similar blends. -- UPDATE -- awesome blended with some Lane 1Q 1/3 Pirate Kake, and 2/3 1Q - marinate for a week in a baggie. I disagree with a lot of the reviewers that claim that this blend lacks complexity. Whenever I've had non-aromatics, I've felt like they've tasted like a combination of BBQ sauce and soap, and this wasn't much different. Well I was hoping to find something very strong as it's a Latakia Bomb but NO! Not a rush but a steady buzz- nice in this dept. Open the tin and a waft of campfire smoke will invade your nostrils. The power/intensity of the smoke is impressive as one might expect from such a Latakia-forward blend. I was able to smoke a bowl of this. It's only from smoking PK many times that I can barely, barely detect other tobaccos here. But nothing less. If you're noty crazy about Lat Boimbs run. I was pleasantly surprised by C&D's Pirate Kake though. I fall in between. If you are not a latakia lover than this blend is not for you, if you are this blend will float on cloud nine. The best latakia tobacco ever. It's smoky but honestly not as strong as you would believe being 75% Latakia. Although an excellent smoke on it's own this also makes a great blender. Is it a Lat-heavy blend that explodes your palate in such a way as to make any and all future Latakia blends unpalatable? The expression Lat-Bomb has always been tossed about in such a disparaging way, I always assumed the term to be a pejorative one. Pirate Kake is only for the true Latakia Lover, it has 70% Latakia in it , so unless your a big fan of Latakia, as I am, you may not want to buy over a sample to try. . that just makes this blend too much for me. Pirate Kake is a smooth, robust blend with LOTS (75%!) Mmmm. In the tin you will find a dark square Crumble Cake, very easy to break apart and to load your pipe. This stuff is the true test to someone if they really love latakia or not. I love Latakia. The Crumble Kake is a pleasure to deal with, not to moist and just dry enough to run through your fingers as if you are digging up a treasure from some tropical island beach. You had better have a liking for Latakia with both of these blends, more so with PK that gives an almost oily taste. I was inpatient. Power level is about two ticks below medium so those Enthusiast who like a bit more power will need to enjoy this as a snack. The most intriguing thing about this tobacco, I think, is its name. I don't get any depth or complexity, just a basic smokiness. Smokes cool and dry. Updated 11/2/11- Well after a few months to breath and a different pipe ( if that is what one calls an Ozark Cherry Wood, original review was with a cob ), this blend is complex, without heat, creamy , cheezy and a keeper. I don't believe it has much in the way of nicotine and I would imagine that it is the cavendish cut burley that gives it the dark and full flavor. Its not easy to get over here so Im glad I got some friends overseas who are willing to help out. Pirate kake in the little devil cob this morning. :) Strength is mild to medium because you cant take a lot of vitamin N from the latakia or the oriental, maybe from the burley but I dont think its a lot of burley in this. As an interval, you get some sweetness and more often some sourness, all this in a good way. Upon opening I was greeted with the smell of a thousand campfires. I get a creamy taste unlike any other tobacco I have yet tried. I love the full-on tastiness of this tobacco Im going to bury (cellar) a ton of this treasure. This is the first latakia blend that i try, and i'm lucky this be the first and my favorite blend. The bars rub out easily enough, and the moisture content is almost right for smoking straight out of the tin, though 20 minutes of drying time doesn't hurt. After all that time in a cloud of hickory smoke I wanted something that I could actually taste. I can hardly wait to see how this tastes a couple of years down the road. Overall, a good smooth smoke that had no bite. Pressed tobacco blends are among my favorites for taste and this blend is no exception. It's not entirely a successful marriage, as the Latakia completely dominates its' partners. LATAKIA! Personally in the world of pipe tobacco there should be a blend known as Latakia based, with the "spice tobaccos" added in, which quite a few blends would fall under. The room note is very strong actually. It does produce a decent amount of smoke. My preference has always been for latakia forward blends but admit to having reservations to smoking anything that had a 70% latakia content. It's Latakia in overwhelming amounts. Very consistent smoke and taste throughout the smoke. I would not recommend it on its own, but mixed with some VAs or more Burleys to get the best out of it. There's also a sweet smell to it that mixes with the smokiness very well. Poi conoscendo come lavora Craig Tarler non si pu trattare di errore. Add to Wish List. Such a joy to smoke very nice lat forward mix. A full bowl of Pirate Kake burned slow and consistently. There are too many others which I enjoy more. Being mostly interested in English blends this really satisfied my love of latakia. Coming in bulk as it does it is a good value, and based on the oil content I bet this blend would be perfect for coloring up a nice shiny new meer. It is not biting my tongue at all, and I am puffing the Dickens out of the bacci. I don't notice the Burley at a sip, which is fine, since I'm not a Burley fan. I am not tasting the complimenting Oriental flavors, as I do in Penzance. soli Deo gloria. A few lights required to get it going. 61. sample and I liked this blend so much, I ordered 8 ounces then 16 ounces sizes to store and smoke over time. Cornell & Diehl's Pirate Kake Pipe Tobacco. Pirate Kake has got you covered. Think a peaty scotch and some nuttiness for the most part. OMG!!! This was a blend I have been searching for because I love latakia but it is such a mild to medium and just tends to be low on the nicotine level sadly. Lat bomb that is. On reflection I doubt the Lat is Syrian either, I was probably confused by the other Orientals. musk. For the Latkia fan, its a must. It was my first experience with tobacco in this form as well. In any case, after finishing a bowl I often felt sated for quite some time. I enjoy latakia immensely. Theres a topping on this caramel, prune cant place it, but theres definitely a topping. No bite. This was confirmed by the frequent relights during the first half of the bowl - mea culpa. Not something I would smoke all day, but outstanding for what it is. It's almost what I had hoped Nightcap would've been. Such a concentration of LAtakia becomes unidimensional after a while, so it would gain to be mixed with something else to bring variety to it. Smooth, super tasty. Taste like how it smells. My tin was dated from 2015. I really enjoy smoking it at night, with the last pipe of the day and paired with a good whiskey. Orientals play a bigger role at the end of the bowl. Room note offends everyone and leaves that creosote like aftertaste that I enjoy. The wife will hate it but I'm too old to care. Like a good childhood memory. I was not expecting to like this as much as I did. So ill be blending the reat of this kake w either the comoys or LNF as the blend was so good i was thinking about my next bowl before i was even halfway done w the first. The oriental is noted early on until about mid bowl and then its pretty much the lat that steals the show in pirate kake a very smoky campfire blend. I taste at least three different alternate flavor notes as different sized chunks of tobacco burn. A cigar is to be enjoyed. Will save this for chilly, rainy nights. If you don't really like Latakia this will not change your mind. Performance: A very cool burning blend. Easy to break off and prepare in your pipe. bomb! Cornell and Diehl's Pirate Kake is the last of the bulk samples from my recent half tinned and half bulk thin down purchase and I saved it for last. If you LOVE not like latakia try this but good god come on man. It's surprisingly sweet and well balanced for such a wallop of latakia. Forgive my lengthy prelude. Just finished my 1st full tin of this and it did not take long. What I find Surprising straight away is that having imagined this a heavy smoke, it is quite the opposite. Despite being 75% latakia I was easily able to pick out the oriental tobacco. Cornell & Diehl Bow Legged Bear Pipe Tobacco . There is little balance of flavors in that this blend is a showcase of Latakia with the other components only serving to keep it from being too monochromatic. I only plan on smoking this on occasion myself. The unlit note gives more than a suggestion of lots of Latakia, so on with the actual smoke: It comes as no surprise that the leading flavour's the smoky Latakia. Flavorfull and satisfying. Patiently waiting to wreak your wife's opinion of pipe smoking in the house. I am sensing no vitamin N, and I am smoking this bowl very aggressively. I'm partial to Billy Budd myself, but this seems just like the same without the cigar leaf. Purchased From: smokingpipes.com 4noggins.com. of exceptional Latakia accompanied by Turkish and Burley from C&D, Pirate Kake is a Latakia lover's treasure. I wanted to test it to make sure so I left the den for a few minutes to get a drink and came back to rolling smoke and a room that had a pleasant rich and smoky smell that was strong like there had been a pillaging and plundering and burning raid in the room.. there were even bodies laying there in the smoke.. oh wait those are passed out collies taking a nap. Pirate Kake, on the other hand, it pure Cyprian smokiness without the coolness. Cornell and Diehl: Pirate Kake 2oz Tobacco: Burley, Latakia, Orientals Cut: Cake Blend Type: English Strength: Medium Your Price: $11.05. To many, this would be a heresy on the order of combining several single-malt scotches (perish the thought) or good wines. Any pipe tobacco shipped to a New York State address will be subject to the applicable state imposed excise tax (75% over the wholesale . Now the pros: all of them. Pirate Kake is indeed jam packed with this delightful Latakia, and it's apparent when you rub out some of this lovely cake. Almost nothing but latakia but nicely laced with cavendish and some Turkish. It reminded me of smoking a burnt out matchstick or if you were to smoke the smoke off of a meat smoker. Upon lighting, I was pleasantly surprised. Shopping. If you dont find any pure Latakia in the market you can easily buy this one and make your own mixtures. Smoke it slowly in a 9 mm charcoal Briar Pipe and you will be richly rewarded. I also had trouble keeping it lit, and it was not the easiest to rub out from the rock hard cake bar it comes in. I was hoping for some spicy flavor to counterbalance so much Latakia, but alas 'twas not to be found. This is a dark black brick which crumbles into wonderful flakes very easily and is able to be sprinked and packed nicely - a few lighter colored flakes are evident in the crumbling. My smokes started off pleasant enough, especially after a full meal, but the large amount of latakia slowly pummeled me. Indeed smoking of this tobacco is a spiritual experience! If it were consistent from top to bottom this would be a five-star rating and my number one smoke. Relights are much less frequently on the bottom half of the bowl, in fact, it is burning quite well. The smoke itself is flatter than Kansas. I am holding this one at 3 stars, because it is good but suffers from a lack of complexity. Once lit, I find it stays that way with light attention to my sipping draw. I only gave it a slightly lower rating bc I'm not sure a lot of people would like this. So smooth I would describe it as creamy. you declare. Me: "So what is that you're smoking? Then out of nowhere a natural sweetness sneaks up on you. This is the ultimate Lat-Bomb. This blend is a real treat. It has not been a nasty surprise this buy, otherwise. An ode to Cyprian Latakia if there ever was one. Definitely a blen d I refuse to ever run out of. It also is not much of a crowd- pleaser in terms of room note. Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky 01, MM bent apple diplomat, Purchased From: Habana Port Cigars, Metairie, LA. This is a fantastic blend. Full, dense, aromatic taste leaves nobody indifferent! Bottom of Bowl: A nice build up of strength, still smooth, not quite as complex as Pease's Abingdon, but nevertheless still delicious. Overall: This is for those who love Latakia, but want something that brings the best out of that fine leaf. If that's your cup of tea though, you will certainly enjoy this one. It lacks that hint of perique spice that Nightcap has, but is darker and more smokey. I wish there was a more consistent taste throughout on this one. Just received it in the mail. Usually I only find it in blends with plenty of perique. I think you could improve any blend with the addition of PK, most aromatics excepted. Be prepared to be shunned! This is not a tobacco for the neophyte but for the latakia fiend who wants full-bodied spice, depth and complexity in their smoke. That being said for me even staying within the same company I think you get much more nuance and flavor while remaining a great smoke from Stimulus Package or Da Vinci maybe even Mississippi Mud if youd like black Cavendish. I first tried this in a Ser Jacapo LB Maxima Maxima. This is awesome. Very few relights, and is just heavenly. They're almost like little bars of hashish, which of course, I never inhaled. I will keep this in my rotation and continue to cellar as I go. At one point in my life I would have run from a blend as robust as this. A must for all Latakiaphiles! Since I've bought it, it did mellow out a little and is now quite a pleasant smoke, but I feel there are a lot of better thought out english/balkan blends to spend my time with. . Definitely INE for the cooler months, as I cant imagine s To start if you ever get a chance to go fishing off a old dock the tin note will take you there ! After discovery, I probably only got about three bowls out of this. This perfume burned off some where in the upper third and the rest of the smoke proceeded down the bowl as, believe it or not, a light English. Its now at the top of favorite list; not sure I can make it through my rotation of 50 blends before getting to it again, LOL. I thought the smoke was gonna be the way it smelled, but to my surprise it was a soapy like smooth smoke that had a uniq ue odor without tongue bite. It is now my go to and hav at least one bowl per day. Update 06/29/10: Been smoking this on and off for the last six plus months. It is pretty straightforward with its flavors , but in an enjoyable way, and as I said before it is a very cool and smooth smoke. While this tobacco is a little stout for my taste at this point, I did find t hat it has a great taste and aroma. Performance: A very cool burning blend. I find PK to be a charmingly enjoyable blend, smooth as butter, rich with wood, earth and leather, along with some sweet coupled with sea salt (and a mineral-like element that I cant quite put my finger on its not quite soda-like but it sits right behind the salt). It seemed perfect to smoke but I left it out for a half hour and could smell the smokiness across my den. This is the single greatest Latakia blend on the market. Very pleasant smoke Great flavor. Since in bulk I broke it into three big pieces and put it in a mason jar. This is a real acquired taste. Frankly, I am not sure, but I do know that somewhere this one crosses the line. I've had english blends once or twice for fun but don't really like them. I took this to mean that the Pirate Kake was very moist - and that is the case. Individual reviews are the opinion(s) of the contributor and do not reflect the opinion(s) No issues tasting this bad boy! Updated 10/13/12- I ordered another Bulk batch of this blend, rubbed it all out, let it rest for about a month and I have to say, "this is outstanding". I smoked it fast, and it got very very hot. I smoke this after lunch in the office when I want to recharge the brain without too much of a nicotine fry ( nicotine strength is medium). I love Lat. My kids' comment on tin note - "Ewww! I won't attempt to break this one apart - the descriptions say it's got oriental, burley and cavendish. Not nearly as overpowering as some say. And even then it took me a while to admit there were other tobaccos present. If you're a rum and coke drinker, this probably ain't for you. perfectly! Be prepared for a punch-in-yje-mouth Latakia kick. Can't speak to heaven. The other tobaccos are added to simply smooth off the rougher edges, as opposed to smoking it straight.