You can also get the complete bike with 29 wheels and a suspension fork if youre after something that is more optimised around recreational mountain biking. This is a ridiculously good value bike at just $899, and it has a more generous 2.5 tyre clearance than any bike in this category. My interest was immediately piqued in a company that I hadn ' t very learn a lot about earlier. Thanks for your comment. Find great deals and sell your items for free. You can even get a left dropbar brake lever with an integrated dropper lever as part of microSHIFTs Advent line (so cool). . I imagine if you were looking for a bike to put to the test in the Flint Hills of Kansas, this would be an excellent option (though the Kenda Kadre tires it comes with would never hack it out there). Allowing for 27.5 wheels with enough clearance for 2.6 tires. var _statcounter = _statcounter || []; In the gravel 700C gravel category, I really like the Jamis Renegade steel. Im 6'2" and ride a Large (58) on most gravel bikes, which the geometry is much closer to their XL on the Redwood. Huge selection of mountain bikes from brands such as Trek, Specialized, Giant, Santa Cruz, Norco and more. $ 799.99 USD. If you are a mountain biker at heart and want to expand into the gravel scene, you may like the Poseidon Redwood best. When it comes to Cycling to Work, SAM IS THE MAN because he doesn't just talk the talk, but he also walks the walk - or rides the ride, to be more precise The only quality gravel bike that's anywhere close is State Bicycle Co.'s 4130 All-Road, and that costs $899.99. Hub Spacing: 100mm front, 142mm rear. Mostly, I ride greenbelt paths (paved) and gravel roads. It is priced at $949 USD and comes in a range of sizes, including XS, SM, MD, LG, XL. -Exclusive Poseidon Adventure Team T-Shirt and Camp Coffee Mug.-20% off on all accessory, component, and essential orders.-Exclusive affiliate discounts from some our friends. A solid bike right out of the gate, with room for upgrades and personalization, Im looking forward to putting many miles and memories on mine. Wow! I first assessed the frame geometries for each of these bikes to see whether they are suitable for the bikes intended use. More miles, more adventures, more smiles! All-road/Gravel bike with 6 sizes. The Poseidon Dropbar Poseidon X and Poseidon Redwood are both aluminum frame gravel bikes with upper mid-range components and mechanical disc brakes. If youre a road biker at heart and want to hit some gravel trails or you want a lot of mounts on the frame, consider Salsa Journeyman with its 2x setup. Flat bars give you more leverage on difficult terrain. For rough terrain and all-around mountain bike fun, its hard to beat a full suspension bike. Bike Commuter Hero is owned and operated by B Brothers Media Ltd. B Brothers Media Ltd is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Moreover, don't ride on the sidewalk. I currently have a 2015 Santa Cruz Superlight. Other than a couple of small quibbles, its a great overall package. This do-it-all bike is great on any terrain, and for a little extra cash, you can add on a reasonably priced set of road tires to give your gravel bike even more versatility. Specifications Frameset Frame But the bike was still not what I really wanted which is a bike that would be good in both the dirt and pavement. Considering our trails and fire roads can be steep in the Rocky Mountain West, I found the 1148T cassette to be a bit limited paired with a 38T chainring. Let me say this. In this super in-depth article, Ill first explain how I went about selecting these bikes. When it comes to price the Poseidon X starts at $599.99, the new X Ambition starts at $699.99 and the Redwood starts at $779.99. My question is, should I get the X, X Ambition, or the Redwood? The best way to describe the feeling is that its a drop bar mountain bike. Even though the frame is made from steel, the full-carbon fork helps to save lots of weight resulting in an 11kg bike. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'bikecommuterhero_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_15',192,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bikecommuterhero_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0'); If you are a mountain biker at heart and want to expand into the gravel scene, you may like the Poseidon Redwood best. If youre planning on short bikepacking trips youll probably be fine with either X model but if your planning on weighing it down with a lot gear for longer trips the Redwood is probably the way to go. Your email address will not be published. However, whenever I switched to riding in the drops, my lack of control and awkward handling melted away, likely because I had a better, closer angle at the brakes. Please enable cookies on your browser and try again. Dirt, Gravel, or Road, The Poseidon X is ready for the adventure. At $749.99, the price that Poseidon is offering this bike at is INSANE! I'm here to help you along the way. A bit of back and forth with Luis at Poseidon, and the shipping was sorted out via BikeFlights, even after a mistake or two on my end. The hubs are thru-axle with a 14212 rear and 10012 front, which is rare to see at this price-point. With the Advent X group-set that ' randomness just about deoxyadenosine monophosphate thoroughly a quality for bikes priced up to $ 1,500 ! These bikes are all in the same relative price range, so if youre buying a bike based on budget, any of these bikes will give you a safe, fun ride to try your hand or legs at a little bit of gravel. Size medium. There is clearance for a 2.1 tyre, so this is not quite as versatile as other bikes in this category (which will fit up to 2.5). By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Both the Poseidon Redwood and the Salsa Journeyman are made with aluminum. Brake Levers: MicroShift Advent X Rear Derailleur: MicroShift Advent X with Clutch Brakes: Tektro Mechanical Disc Mechanical Disc Disc Rotor: Tektro 160mm F/R Crank: Prowheel 38t Narrow Wide Chainring 1x Crankset Bottom Bracket: 68mm English Threaded Square Taper A lighter bike will give you some extra advantage when climbing. Occasional overnight bikepacking trips too but certainly very little single track. To everyone at posieden bike. Thanks for your input. My vote is for the X. So far I wouldn't change a thing. Though decidedly different bikes, the Redwood reminds me of the Salsa Fargo, another dropbar touring gravel bike with clearance for chunky tires. Inside The Revolutionary Honda Bicycle Gearboxes (All 3 Generations), The 2023 Touring & Bikepacking Bike Buyers Guides Are Now Available, Video: We Biked 3,000KM Into The Australian Outback (Amazing Experience). On the other hand, many gravel bikes come with 2x drivetrains. 2022 Poseidon Bike Redwood Drop Bar - Bike Insights All-road/Gravel bike with 6 sizes. After riding it consistently for a few months, I started noticing small chips missing from the matte green paint job, especially on the headtube where cables easily rub. Each of my bike picks represents a different bike category. The gear you need to fuel the ride and add that personal touch. Or perhaps a double? The suspension allows you to tackle the same technical terrain as a plus bike, but with lighter, narrower and faster rolling tyres its also the fun-est to ride on singletrack, in my opinion. While most fat bikes have a very wide crank distance between the pedals, the Otso is a just 10mm wider than normal. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. I can let you know what I think of it in a few weeks if you like?! It comes stock with 4.6 tyres but will squeeze in a 4.8 if you need. As far as I can tell, it can be run with the Advent X setup that the Redwood comes specd with, but I cant attest to whether the Advent brifters look or feel slightly different from Advent X. State Bicycle makes its own cranks and cassettes.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'bikecommuterhero_com-leader-1','ezslot_12',188,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bikecommuterhero_com-leader-1-0'); The Poseidon is probably the best choice for lots of hills, and the Journeyman is perhaps the fastest on the flats. I love riding in the drops on steep descents and these bars are so comfortable in those situations. A perplex / gamble motorcycle with 27.5 x 2.35 " tires, with room to swallow 2.5 " arctic if you desired. This summer, Poseidon bikes, a small consumer-direct company in California, released the Redwood. The wide bars and short stem, coupled with the increased trail figure from the bigger tires, give it a slightly mountain bike-ish feel. These three gravel bikes will give you the opportunity to test the trails without busting the budget. The State All-Road geometry is just a bit more upright, while the Journeyman has a little bit more angle in the front fork. Please check out my in-depth battery article linked in the description. Steel is generally the heaviest of the three frame types. 7. r/gravelcycling. If you want a great all-around bike that can take you from your daily commute to work to your outdoor trail adventures, then youll want to give the State All Road a closer look. With some small upgrades, the Redwood could really be someones dream gravel bike. Im under the impression that Poseidon came out with the X Ambition to bridge the gap between the X & the Redwood. It has gearing youre familiar with and is designed to manage some pretty gnarly terrain (without the stump-jumping, of course.). Frame: 6061 double-butted hydroformed aluminum, rack and fender mounts, two bottle mounts on size XXS, three on XS, S, and M, four on L and XL, Fork: 6061 aluminum, triple mounts, rack and fender mounts, Handlebar: Poseidon Adventure Bar, 24 flare, 31.8mm clamp, 460mm width, Rear derailer: microSHIFT Advent X 10spd, clutch, Bottom bracket: 73mm threaded, square taper, Cassette: microSHIFT Advent X, 10spd, 1148T, Seatpost: Promax Alloy 31.6mm with 20mm setback, Saddle: Poseidon X Hubs: Quanta, 100 x 12mm front, 142 x 12mm rear, thru-axles, Contact: Poseidon Bike, 529 Mercury Lane, Brea, CA, 92821, luis@poseidonbike.com, poseidonbike.com. If you are going on really rough terrain, you may want to look into 650bs or even mountain bike tires. I just pulled it out of storage to sell so I can take . It is a good bike and fairly priced, Weight is good (22lbs) and good for distance and relatively fast. Hey everyone I'm completely new to this forum and have some questions about my new gravel bike I bought second hand. Ive needed to change the bars on some of my bikes to make them My name's Sam. This unit is actually a pretty effective charger after 16KPH and it makes excellent power after 20KPH. Surprisingly, in this case, the steel frame is not significantly heavier than the other frames, but it is less expensive, making it a good choice for the budget-conscious and those looking for a smooth ride experience. 116. There are a lot of these direct to consumer bikes now but I think this one found its spot in the fold with a great all around adventure focus. This full-carbon 27.5 gravel bike tips the scales at 9.7kg. Ive been a mountain biker all my life but got into the gravel game with a cyclocross bike many years ago. When I was dumb and numb I put a 58-T chainring on one for a day. review of the original $US 600 budget gravel bike, the Poseidon X! I got new tires, a Redshift stem, brooks saddle and frame protection decals. Pretty tasty I think. Upon closer inspection, the wheel tension was very far out as well. The gearing can feel a bit gappy in spots, but I dont think dialing in your cadence is the focus on this bike. Poseidon created the Redwood out of a desire to mimic the 80s mountain bikes they were finding on Craigslist to convert to dropbar bikes. Dont worry about the fact that were talking in inches I just prefer the double or triple-digit numbers that it spits out. Poseidon Redwood Bicycle - $850 (Jayess) Lg. I own a Redwood, but I bought it with rebuild in mind, so I was prepared for the shortcomings. Redwood Poseidon X State 4130 All-Road Decathlon Triban GRVL120 Bike shop: Marin Nicasio+ There are plenty more but most bike shop gravel bikes start a bit more in the $1200-$1500 range. KEEP SCROLLING FOR 650B (27.5) GRAVEL BIKES! if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'bikecommuterhero_com-leader-3','ezslot_13',608,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bikecommuterhero_com-leader-3-0');The rougher the terrain, the wider tire you should choose. The downside to these components is the need to service them RockShox forks call for a 50-hour service interval for the lower legs and 200 hours for a full strip and rebuild. Aluminum Tapered Fork with 3 Bosses on Each Side. Press J to jump to the feed. The drivetrain is Microshifts top-tier (but still affordable) Advent X 10 speed system. Prowheel Charm 170mm Crankset with 38t 104 BCD Narrow-Wide Chainring. I meant to say Im a noob and not clear on the disadvantage of different cranksets. Perhaps gravel isnt a good classification for the Redwood. I rode the Poseidon X for about 3 months before selling it to my brother and this why: Lets start with the good; the bike was very affordable (still are), it was good looking and it had decent gearing for climbing. Ive had mine since early September and have been putting in a lot of miles on all surfaces, mostly chunky gravel and single track. The bike is part of Poseidon 's REDWOOD range of mountain bikes. Guest review kindly provided by Eric Ratch. The most economical model, the Poseidon FLATBAR X 2021 has a starting price of 649 USD. So would I recommend Poseidon bikes? Folks were hungry for outdoor exercise, and gravel riding seemed to be the thing that drew many out of their homes during 2020. It handles loaded bikepack trips without batting an eye, in fact, dare I say it rides better fully loaded ripping down a forest road. You want knobby tread to give you a good grip on the road and rocks. How long is "short" and how much weight are you thinking when you say "weighing it down"? Give it a try! Which bike is best? And lastly, I have narrowed the options down to the point where you get the most performance for your money. That is especially true if one is going to tour. It is a fun bike to ride. If youre looking to get some bikepacking experience, the Salsa is also a great choice because it has plenty of room for all of your mounts. 2021 issue ofAdventure Cyclistmagazine. Im using my Bikepacking Bike Buyers Guide to compare and select all of these bikes. Love data? Testing . I've been wanting to buy a second bike to ride around town, ride on gravel trails, and maybe even ride on some double track out in my local state park. Other notable components on the Canyon include some nice DT Swiss wheels and a carbon seatpost which has been tuned to flex 5-10mm up and down, providing a silky-smooth ride on bumpy roads. Most of mine are pretty tame but want something that can handle a little rough stuff. The bike did not disappoint at all, it was definitively at home at the loop. Love my redwood so far, but unfortunately a crank arm fell off and the spindle is stripped. If youve never heard of Poseidon Bike, a direct-to-consumer company based in La Habra, California, youre not alone. Review of the wallet friendly fat meats bruiser - the Poseidon Redwood. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Luckily the Microshift derailleur was cheap to replace. Explore the differences below. The 22 climbing gear is perfect and its tubeless-ready too. Anything else wasnt worth my time the components would be garbage and Id probably regret not spending a little extra for a nicer bike. The upgrades to improve efficiency and comfort. I think I'm going with the X Ambition and keep my full suspension mtb for more gnarly terrain. You deserve a company willing to be part of your journey, and you deserve a bike capable of growing with you on that journey. This will give you a lot more options for being able to ride uphill, downhill, and speed along the flats. Bike is stock (won't include pedals, pump, bottle holder). The easy gear here is only a ratio of 1, which isnt great if youll be hitting lots of hills, but the 3.8 is relatively fast on the flats, although not the fastest. Microshift 10-Speed Advent X with Clutch. STEM: 31.8 Diameter with +\- 7 Degrees. I was also slow in the pavement; the stock meaty tires that it came with had a lot to do with this. However, the State All-Road and the Poseidon Redwood are also available with flat bars, if thats what you prefer. And what models they think will be available anytime soon. If you dont have a low enough climbing gear, you simply struggle more than necessary. 1997-2023 Adventure Cycling Association, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. See https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood for more details. Compared to my other CX/ gravel bikes Ive owned, this is definitely much happier to be on singletrack and Im not fighting the bike through rough situations. Buyer's Guides . We Recommend 30mm Tubeless Tape. Support non-competitive cycling content: https://www.patreon.com/PathLessPedaledhttps. Its a delight to ride on gravel roads, rail trails, and even mountain bike singletrack. This is actually against the law in some states and . This is because the looping angle at the back of the bike increases, meaning your front wheel will stay planted even on the steepest ascents. Not going to race (thats what trail running is for) but want something that can do it all better than my full sus. Ideal Use Road, Gravel Tire Size 700 x 35 Bar Type Dropbar Weight 25lbs Dropbar Redwood A bike that can handle gravel, heavy trails, and bikepacking. Manage Settings Let's analyse 121 different Tour Divide bike setups and find the fastest bikes. I have about 700 miles on my Dropbar X and I love it. A purpose built MTB ready for your Child's Next Adventure. . Bike has always been kept inside. Poseidon Redwood This could be the budget gravel bike to take you on some epic adventures. Im all about the new Marin DSX2. Join. The Frontier is using a SRAM 1X drivetrain with the same 18-inch climbing gear as the Jones. My heart says one. Redwood is part of the Poseidon Redwood model. The main reason I sold the X was because the Poseidon Redwood came out and that bike looked bad ass and it looked like it could tackle the dirt with more confidence. The bike is a full aluminum frame and fork with four bottle cage mounts on the frame (size large tested) and three-pack mounts on the fork. This aluminium bike with a carbon fork tips the scales at just 9.4kg. I'm excited to announce the all-new 2023 KOGA WorldTraveller. As the pandemic-influenced industry boom left bike shop shelves unstocked indefinitely, seemingly everyone I know was asking me how they could buy a cheap gravel bike. I found that the actual post size was 31.8mm, meaning you would need to shim and run a 27.2mm dropper if you desired such a setup. The 2021 Poseidon REDWOOD Frameset is an Gravel aluminium mountain bike. UPDATE: Click here to see our new Poseidon bike: The FX! The bike has the same drive train as the Poseidon X; The Microshift Advent X groupset. The gear ratios are perfect and it's tubeless-ready too. They help reduce the frame standover and decreases the toe overlap. While the tyre clearance is not on the same level as the Redwood, the 50mm wide rubber will be great for the majority of gravel rides. Cosmic Brewery in Torrance [74] Claremont Craft Ales in Claremont [75] The Dudes' Brewing Company in Torrance [76] Eagle Rock Brewery in Los Angeles [77] El Segundo Brewing Company in El Segundo [78] Golden Road Brewery in Los Angeles [79] [80] [81] Gordon Biersch Brewing Company in Burbank. Please enable JavaScript on your browser and try again. Ive recommended the Diamondback Haanjo ever since it came out, and the 2021 version is no exception. I built up a bike similar to the Dropbar X from an aluminum frame. The way I see it, tight trails usually make up a very small percentage of any bikepacking route so optimising around stability is probably the way to go. The Redwood has a setup that allows it to be capable on terrain meant for a hardtail mountain bike while giving you plenty of rack mounts for multi-day bikepacking trips. Filter bikes by year, weight, components, price, and performance. The disadvantages to long chainstay bikes are that its harder to lift the front wheel over obstacles, and the bike is a bit less agile on tight, twisty trails. Youll notice the chainstays get longer as the bikes get bigger. Specifications Frameset Frame Coming in at a sock $ 899.99 it has then a lot going on for this monetary value. It was fine for paved roads and rail trails, but really suffered when Id duck out into interesting looking paths through the forest. Dropbar X. I eventually upgraded to something with 42c tires for more capability but was ultimately disappointed in that as well. Gravel bike geometry (unless its a race bike) is typically a little more upright, longer, and more stable to help you comfortably ride through rough terrain. Canyon Grail 7 vs. 700C Category AverageWeight: 9.4kg Category 10.2kg (8% less than average)Steering Speed:67mm Category 68mm (same as average)Low Climbing Gear:24 gear inches Category 26 gear inches (8% lower than average). Lets move onto something a little bit quicker on smoother surfaces. Lets get into the nitty-gritty to see how these three bikes compare against each other. $899 Monster Gravel Bike 15,385 views Premiered Oct 8, 2020 384 Dislike Share Save Locked In 43.3K subscribers Purchase a Redwood Here:. Skip to content Holiday Sale and Free Shipping Ending Feb 28, 2023 Gravel Bikes X Ambition Dropbar X Ambition Flatbar Dropbar X Their website boasts, We want to change the tide of cycling by making high quality bicycles affordable for everyone. Thats a mission I can wholeheartedly support. The Poseidons tires are definitely set up for extra rough gravel, as are the States 650bs. 15/20 - Amazing value gravel bike with 2.5 tyre clearance, a 1X10 groupset, modern frame features and lots of bikepacking mounts. Thoughts on the Poseidon Redwood Hey all, I currently have a full squish as my main mtb rig. What I really love about the Poseidon Redwood is what a good foundation gravel bike it is for touring. . if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'bikecommuterhero_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_3',184,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bikecommuterhero_com-medrectangle-3-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'bikecommuterhero_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_4',184,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bikecommuterhero_com-medrectangle-3-0_1');.medrectangle-3-multi-184{border:none!important;display:block!important;float:none!important;line-height:0;margin-bottom:7px!important;margin-left:auto!important;margin-right:auto!important;margin-top:7px!important;max-width:100%!important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center!important}. There are definitely solid options here, but best bet is to see what brands your local shops carry. Poseidon Adventure Handlebars 31.8 Diameter, 46cm Wide, 24 Degree Flare. Find your ideal bike using bike-on-bike geometry comparisons with diagrams, powerful search tools, and category analysis. The X and X Ambition look great for most of my riding but I don't think it could handle GDMBR-type riding. Had I known about the Redwood in 2020, I would have recommended it to all the folks who sought my advice because even though its not my preferred gravel bike, its a hell of a deal for a super-capable gravel workhorse. Bicycle Touring . Its done A Guide for Drop Handlebar Shapes and Sizes. The 2021 Poseidon Redwood is an Gravel aluminium mountain bike. However, they are more comfortable than road bikes on longer rides. It has been specced with a 2X11 Shimano GRX groupset which offers a better than usual 24 climbing gear and hydraulic brakes. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The 2023 KOGA WorldTraveller Touring Bike: Tougher and More Capable! 2021 Poseidon Redwood - North America - $899. While not amazing performers, they have been able to stop the bike in tricky off-road situations with a 230lbs rider. Cheers! Here are some of the aftermarket features available for Bromptons, including bigger wheels, gearboxes, belt drivetrains and more. Balance bikes are the perfect entry to inspire confidence and exploration. The dedicated road bike for long miles and rides around town. If you have tested this out and know, write in and tell us your experience! The service requires full JavaScript support in order to view this website.