The Spaniard is expected to sign his. [47] It was suggested that this Liverpool team was missing Bentez's characteristic defensive rigidity[48] despite the fact that only Manchester United and Chelsea conceded fewer goals than Liverpool, and lacked the necessary depth to cope with injuries to key players such as Gerrard and Fernando Torres while Bentez's decision making was called into question. If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit. Don't sign. [98][99] They lost 42 on aggregate to Athletic Bilbao in the qualifying stages, thus entering the Europa League. This was followed by a 40 home loss in the first Clsico of the season against Barcelona. [145], Bentez's father, Francisco, worked as a hotelier. [43] Bentez's decision to sell Alonso and replace him in the side with Lucas Leiva, in addition to Aquilani having arrived at the club injured, was called into question as Liverpool's title campaign began with two defeats in the first three games. The Spanish gaffer delved into some of the players. He then left Napoli and became coach of Real Madrid in June 2015 on an initial three-year contract. The left-backs standards had arguably slipped in his final two seasons with Liverpool as he fought with Fabio Aurelio for a starting role with only the Brazilians injury record ensuring he didnt retain the position permanently. [131] In his 2013 autobiography, Ferguson said that "Benitez bought badly and made the feud personal". [120], Bentez was appointed manager of Premier League club Everton on a three-year contract on 30 June 2021, replacing Carlo Ancelotti who left to join Real Madrid. Rafa came to sit next to me, he recalled in his 2013 autobiography. Extremadura only survived one season in La Liga, however, and were relegated in 1999 after finishing 17th and losing a play-off to Rayo Vallecano. Real Madrid B were then playing in the Segunda Divisin and on 4 September 1993, he made his debut as a Segunda Divisin manager with a 31 over Hrcules. "On the day before the final game of last season at Hull, Benitez pulled me to one side after training and said: 'You will not be in the squad for this game. The manager had the option to choose between Dutch. ", 'Pubs need to adapt' if they are going to survive the times ahead, "Although we are living during a cost-of-living crisis people still do have money. "I was very young and I just needed guidance. Besides, people are treating me as if I don't exist any more. And I remember thinking, oh my, this is going to be trouble, this is going to be difficult for me'. The striker would join West Ham United in a 7.5m deal, as Benitez went on to replace him with Fernando Torres, before later returning to Liverpool in August 2011 and enjoying a more successful stint with his boyhood club under Kenny Dalglish. I felt so unhappy but, out of respect to the club, I never spoke out. When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game. [107][108] He suffered defeat in his first match in charge, losing 10 away to eventual champions Leicester City on 14 March. I meet him from time to time like at Pepe Reinas wedding, or some family parties.. The resulting coverage resulted in a show of support by fans in support of Bentez which culminated in a fans' march in support of Bentez ahead of the critical Champions League home tie with Porto, which they won 41. I remember the conversation and he was all right, to be fair. It was funny. Another altercation between Bellamy and Benitez would take place in the Spaniards office after the Welshman was fined for taking a penalty against Birmingham City when Robbie Fowler had been the designated taker. The next couple of days were a couple of the hardest days of my life. The. According to Echoes of Liverpool, Brands wanted Graham Potter more than Rafa Benitez.Given the way the Benitez era has unfolded - Everton are 11 points behind Brighton are operating on a fraction of their budget - it is tempting to wonder how different this season would have been if Moshiri had followed suit with the sporting director. [69][70][71] He appointed Boudewijn Zenden as his new assistant manager at Chelsea on the same day. In November 2012, he was appointed interim manager of Chelsea for the remainder of the season and he won the 2013 Europa League. "I was furious with him, absolutely fuming, and in my head I could hear a devilish voice saying punch him in the face punch him in the face and hell let you go to Germany. Malcolm Macdonald in a rare Newcastle United attack during the ill-fated FA Cup final against Liverpool on May 4, 1974 . "It is not true that I had or have had disputes with Bentez, but I am annoyed that when I'm fit I only warm the bench, Baros said on the eve of Istanbul. And whatever the reason, it is clear there was a breakdown in their relationship which ultimately ended with the midfielder signing for Real Madrid. But it was Liverpool Football Club. Before that I played at Tottenham, free-flowing football, different managers. "There were times when I would get so angry about how boring and repetitive training was that I would just lose it and shout, For f**ks sake just give us a bit of a five-a-side!. I was so angry that the lads said later the aggression was pouring out of me. Bentez stands by his tactic, pointing out that teams who man-mark concede just as many, if not more, goals from set pieces. [22], Dudek's heroics in the final were not enough for him to stay as first-choice keeper, as newly signed Pepe Reina replaced him in from the start of the 200506 season. In his second interview he said: "I do not want to make trouble with the manager. I want to know.. However, time heals all wounds and Cisse was a lot more positive about Benitez when speaking exclusively to the ECHO back in February this year. Rafa Benitez believes Real Madrid's Santiago Bernabeu stadium could be key to who wins their Champions League clash with Liverpool. It was a privilege for me to play for such a great club in front of great fans. Former Liverpool player and Chile international Mark Gonzalez has suffered from a heart attack and is currently in hospital recovering, as confirmed by his wife. Still remember seeing him pull what appeared to be a tooth out of his mouth after colliding with a goalpost. [126] With his sacking, Benitez became the fifth Everton manager to lose his job in the previous six years. The only problem was the media, he insisted. [25] Bentez swiftly issued a statement through the club's website re-affirming his desire to remain with Liverpool for the long term. [citation needed], Bentez was unable to win any trophies as Liverpool's domestic campaign falter in the winter months including a shock FA Cup exit at home to Barnsley, with his side losing to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals. As soon as training had finished I stormed over to him and ripped my gloves off in an aggressive manner. For the second consecutive season, he was named UEFA Manager of the Year. "[91], On 19 May, in his final competitive game as Chelsea manager, Bentez managed the team to a 21 home win over Everton, ensuring a third-place finish in the Premier League and a direct spot in the following season's Champions League group stage. After so many years, thats something wonderful that stays in your memory forever". Bentez speaking in 2020 on winning the 2005 Champions League Final. And after moving to Stamford Bridge, Benayoun would lay into his former Reds boss, insisting he was the only reason he had any interest in leaving Anfield. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. According to Santiago Caizares, the squad was initially surprised but they were immediately won over by his modesty as he presented himself as quoted: "You come from the Champions League final and I come from Segunda Divisin, but humbly I think I have tools to make you improve". "Honestly, Rafa was a nightmare like that. "I'm not one of these players that likes to sit around on the bench and just pick my money up. And it appears that such a deterioration stemmed from the midfielder missing the Reds trip to the San Siro to face Inter Milan in March 2008 to be present for the birth of his child, with Benitez trying to sell Alonso the following summer to help fund a move for Gareth Barry. I just tried to put the ball there and Ivanovic did the rest. becky ending explained. What are your plans for next season? he said. In 1997, he joined another Segunda Divisin side, Extremadura, and this time led them to promotion, finishing second in the table behind Alavs after winning 23 out of 42 games. I couldn't say at the time, but I knew this was my last season at Liverpool and I wanted a special end. "Stevie was unbelievable playing that 10. It was as if the fans' reaction worked against me. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. Geplaatst op 3 juli 2022 door Connect with Liverpool fans from around the world in our official supporters group. Due to this unbeaten run, Benitez was nominated for the Manager of the Month award. [7], During the 199293 season, Bentez also worked as an assistant coach to Mariano Garca Remn at Real Madrid B. You promised you would help me but now I have a concrete offer youve not kept your word., I cannot risk it. [82] They subsequently lost 10 at home to 20th-placed Queens Park Rangers[83] in the Premier League and were knocked out of the League Cup semi-finals by underdogs Swansea City 20 on aggregate. [133], Bentez has developed a reputation in English football as a hard man to please, with former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard admitting he longed for a "well done" from Bentez after good performances. By Rafa Benitez May 24, 2020 Happy Istanbul Day! In 2004, another La Liga league title and a UEFA Cup victory were added building on the foundation laid by Hctor Cper who had taken Valencia to two consecutive Champions League finals; in 2000 against Real Madrid, and in 2001 against Bayern Munich. In 1985, he signed for Segunda Divisin B club Linares and under Enrique Mateos, he served as a player/coach. Published: 20:09, 16 Jan 2022 Updated: 20:09, 16 Jan 2022 LIVERPOOL legend Jamie Carragher was quick to take to social media to make light of Rafa Benitez's sacking at Everton. "[27] Bentez did not reciprocate his owner's kind words, demanding his club's new owners had to back him in the transfer market in order for Liverpool to progress following his side's 21 loss to Milan in the final. Ill have Scott and a kid from the Academy. [94] Bentez agreed a two-year contract after meeting club president Aurelio De Laurentiis in London. Whether it was wrong or right to let him go or whether his time in charge of Liverpool could be considered a success or not . I raised my voice. Benitez was in charge at Anfield from 2004 to 2010, winning. Bentez was appointed coach of Valencia and won La Liga in the 200102 season. Bentez played as a midfielder for both Real Madrid Aficionados in the Tercera Divisin and Castilla CF in the Segunda Divisin. Liverpool have announced manager Rafael Benitez has left the club by mutual consent after six years in charge. Therefore, I'm happy to give you some advice for emulating his Liverpool 4-2-3-1 tactic. But the media was not interested anymore. I hadnt got on. "When a player knows he is a slave, he'll never give his employer his heart.. Starting the 3-2 AET second leg defeat a week later, it would prove to be his final appearance for the club as Benitez called him into his office to tell him he would be sold and wouldnt be involved for the remaining games of the season. This is what hurts me. "I'll only leave if I go as a free agent. That's why we played better and won the title. He would later rue how Mauricio Pellegrino was brought in as his replacement. I got more and more frustrated with him until transfer deadline day when I finally boiled over. The 36-year-old was signed by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2005 from. Bentez called me and said I wasnt in his plans, so it was better for me to find a (new) club. [135], Bentez's preferred formation is a 4231 which he adopted during his time at Valencia and Liverpool. I tried to plead with him a little bit, and he repeated the fact that my time was done, really, in his own way. But to this day I still think I should have stayed. The biggest problem I had with Rafa was the first day, he told Sky Sports. Perhaps the most obvious name on this list. Imagine the pressure Id be under if that happened, Why should I care? While Premier League Team A vs Premier League Team B is meant to be the main attraction of the Sky Sports show . End of story.". "I believe in these situations it is better to talk about it and try to fix it, or at least make sure everyone knows where they stand. Rafael Bentez Maudes (born 16 April 1960) is a Spanish professional football manager and former player who most recently managed Premier League club Everton. Former Liverpool star Mark Gonzalez is recovering in hospital after suffering a heart attack, his wife has confirmed. "Pollard � 419aTEJ continues to recover from a knee injury sustained late last year and Roach is still trying to get over a shoulder injury that forced him to return home from the tour of India without playing and required surgery."West Indies won the last edition of the tournament in 2012 after beating hosts Sri Lanka in the final in Colombo. Bentez still appeared to be at odds with Liverpool's owners, publicly turning down a contract extension and demanding more control over transfers. The Reds play the Spanish champions on Tuesday in the round of 16 first-leg at Anfield. Rafa Benitez has praised Liverpool teenager Stefan Bajcetic ahead of tonight's Champions League first leg clash with Real Madrid. Its like telling (Lionel) Messi you need technique. Ralf Rangnick may yet be right about Liverpool and Man United as Jurgen Klopp sends subtle transfer warning, Manchester United are having a better season that Liverpool, that cannot be questioned, but Theo Squires wonders whether there has been a long-term power shift, Roberto Firmino's agent breaks silence on 'unbelievably emotional' Liverpool exit, Roberto Firmino refused to hold talks with other clubs before deciding his Liverpool future, according to his agent, Liverpool predicted line-up for Manchester United as Jurgen Klopp makes two huge calls, How Liverpool could line up against Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday afternoon in the Premier League, John Barnes makes 'worried' Liverpool v Manchester United admission and Mohamed Salah goals point. While at Real, Bentez also gained his coaching certificate in 1989 and in the summer of 1990 taught at a football camp at the University of California in Davis, California. Only the two men would truly be able to answer whether their relationship changed after that trip to the San Siro. [31] It later emerged that Jrgen Klinsmann had been offered Bentez's job before eventually accepting the post of Bayern Munich manager. Im not a defensive midfielder. He left the club, and coached Tenerife in 2000, winning promotion in his only season. He was highly regarded for his tactical acumen[136][137] particularly in European ties, setting his team up to exploit opposition weaknesses. The players and the people at the top of the club knew how I felt. [12], On 16 June 2004, Bentez was appointed manager of Liverpool, replacing Grard Houllier, becoming the first Spaniard to manage in the Premier League. Starting the following season strongly, his manager even called for him to be given an England call-up. Liverpool transfer news, rumours, gossip and speculation including updates on Roberto Firmino, Manuel Locatelli, Naby Keita and Mason Mount. If you want to stay, theres not much point, I know you like playing and youre better off going. In the blue corner, Kylian Mbappe stands tall as the undisputed champion of the world. After leaving Valencia, Benitez moved to English club Liverpool of the Premier League, guiding the club to victory in the UEFA Champions League in 2005. Let us know in the comments section below Albert Rieras falling out with Benitez is pretty cut and dry. "When I went there (Liverpool) I was told myself and Torres (would start) and Stevie would drop into the midfield but obviously as it went on I think Rafa liked Stevie playing that no.10. Or when Bentez takes me off during a game even if I haven't used up all my energy on the pitch. He smiled at me from behind his desk. By Will Rooney 17th Jan 2022, 2:32pm Former Everton medical chief Dan Donachie has appeared to have taken a swipe at Rafa Benitez after he was axed as manager. I dont think I ever really played more than three games in a row. [76][77] On 5 December 2012, Bentez recorded his first win as Chelsea manager, a 61 victory at home to Nordsjlland in the Champions League. In 2000, he was appointed manager of Tenerife of the Segunda Divisin and with a team that included Mista, Curro Torres and Luis Garca, he gained promotion to La Liga by finishing third in the league behind Sevilla and Real Betis. [citation needed], Bentez has also had confrontations with Sam Allardyce when he was manager of Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers. infiniti qx80 indicator lights. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy. Bajcetic has been one of the few positives for the Reds throughout a disappointing season and looks set for the biggest game of his career tonight. I have some offers. [128][129], On 9 January 2009, Bentez delivered a controversial appraisal of certain aspects of Sir Alex Ferguson's tenure, accusing Ferguson and Manchester United of being nervous because Liverpool were at the top of the league,[130] then accused the Manchester United manager of not being punished for breaking FA rules, suggesting he was "the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things",[130] referring to Ferguson not being punished following an FA charge for comments he made about officials Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett following an FA Cup tie with Portsmouth. I was in touch with Meier regularly and he told me Benitez wouldnt speak to him, but was saying Klns offer was unacceptable. The French hit-man was booked for pulling his shirt over . The 37-year-old, who retired at the end of an unsuccessful Ashes tour of England in 2015, said he would consider returning in any capacity to help out Cricket Australia (CA)."I would do anything to 419HbFo help the Australian cricket team," he told Australia's Daily Telegraph newspaper on Sunday. "I scored 19 goals and I never played! [62][63] On 23 December 2010, just five days after bringing Inter to the triumph, Bentez was dismissed by Inter. He also confirmed that he would be leaving the club at the end of the season. Mauricio Pochettino 'SACKED by PSG after agreeing to terminate contract' just months after Ligue 1 triumph,MAURICIO POCHETTINO has reportedly been sacked by Paris Saint-Germain after he reached a severance agreement with the club. Classy timing'.". Liverpool fans will surely be fascinated to hear Rafa Benitez reminisce about his time in charge of the Reds on the club's official podcast. [6], In 1986, at the age of 26, Bentez returned to Real Madrid to join the club's coaching staff. I miss all that a little.". [citation needed], However, Liverpool's poor results in the New Year led to a sharper focus on Bentez, who had missed Liverpool's draw at Arsenal in December due to an operation to remove kidney stones. I havent played all season. [146] Rosario is a big football fan and supported Real Madrid, while his father supported Atltico Madrid. I'm a total fan of his tactical methods, and have read a lot about it. The 61-year-old also won La Liga with Valencia and has collected trophies at Inter Milan, Napoli, and Newcastle United. It was, in my opinion, a weird relationship (with Benitez) because when he signed me I looked at him as the big uncle who wanted to give me a chance and help me succeed," he told the Guardian. Benitez spent six years as Liverpool manager, winning the Champions League in 2005 and reaching the final of the competition in 2007. Such a revelation damaged Bentez's relations with the Americans, with constant rumours linking the Spaniard with a move back to Real Madrid. [147][146] Francisco died in December 2005 while Bentez was in Japan for the FIFA Club World Championship. For some reason it was important that I reach 350 matches and an exact average of fifty per season. He knows what he wants and how to get it. The Israeli would depart Liverpool for Chelsea in a 5.5m deal in the summer of 2010 following Benitezs departure, though the move had been agreed with the Spaniards blessing before his exit. I looked at him. This is the place to moan and discuss about every single thing that happened in games and with your team. Admittedly I never really asked the manager, but he never said anything either, never said I wasn't good enough. Youve got some instructions and tactics in your mind and yet hes shouting even more at you. Peter Crouch has suggested that Rafael Benitez's prior association with Liverpool was, in part, behind his undoing as Everton manager.. Benitez, 61, was given his marching orders on Sunday, less than 24 hours after his side were beaten by relegation-threatened Norwich City. Bentez is fluent in Spanish, English, French and Italian. [132] In a match in April 2009 when Allardyce was manager of Blackburn, he accused Bentez of arrogance over a gesture he made when Fernando Torres scored Liverpool's second goal. [20] Bentez's calm, methodical approach at half time was said to give the players the belief they could pull off an improbable comeback and win Liverpool an historic fifth European Cup. I knew he wasnt the man for me, but because it was Liverpool I just had to sign.. I thought: 'No matter how the manager is treating me, I'm showing the fans the club is in my heart.' [3][4][5], In 1979, Bentez was selected to play for the Spain Youth U-19s at the World Student Games in Mexico City and he scored a penalty in the opening game, a 100 win against Cuba. The former Liverpool manager remains a top defensive mind but will have his work cut out for him when he brings his Newcastle side to Anfield. Rafa Benitez spent six years at Liverpool before a shorter stint as Everton manager (PA) Rafa Benitez has admitted that he has split loyalties ahead of the Merseyside derby, refusing to. Bentez was appointed as manager of Newcastle United in March 2016 in an attempt to save the club from relegation. If your player didn't start or saw a red card, or you picked the wrong player, captain, or other, this is the place to share all your rants. [44] Bentez defended his decisions, arguing Liverpool's slow start was due to key players such as Steven Gerrard being below par.[45]. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. The title challenge, however, fizzled out early in the season, with Liverpool's poor form away from Anfield leading to speculation Bentez's tenure at Liverpool was short-lived, with his agent quoted as saying Bentez would consider offers to manage in Italy. Despite the lack of silverware, the main talking points were off the pitch, with Bentez in the middle of a power struggle with the Liverpool board. He also enrolled as a student at INEF, the sports faculty at the Universidad Politcnica de Madrid and in 1982 he obtained a degree in physical education.