2023 The University of Texas at Austin Athletics, J. Dan Brown Family Player Development Center. LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 24: Former Los Angeles Lakers player Shaquille O'Neal speaks after unveiling of his statue at Staples Center March 24, 2017, in Los Angeles, California. The No. In her free time, Amirah also enjoys cooking, drawing, and painting. "My daughter has a chance to be one of the best volleyball players in the country," Jermaine O'Neal told the Boston Herald at the time. 2021 Asjia ONeal has been a national volleyball star since middle school. But as the time of the surgery got closer, nervousness hung over her like a heavy blanket. Southlake won 3-0. She joins a team, led by former WNBA Houston Comets star Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, that finished 20-10 in its 2019-20 season and was headed to the SWAC Championship as the No. Photo: @shaunieoneal5. "Its a great day for Texas Southern University anytime you can get any one of the ONeals to commit," he said. Shaquille O'Neal's wife and kids are Shareef, Amirah, Shaqir, and Me'arah. "I see the doubt in they faces, they didn't think I would make it," she wrote on Instagram. And that would lead to another open-heart surgery and an agonizing rehabilitation. The former Ozen High star and 14-year NBA vet has more on his mind than basketball, offering essays on life, his family and America. According to her official university profile, she scored an average of 17.2 points a game during her junior year of high school at the Crossroads School for the Arts&Sciences. (@shaq) While they're no longer a couple, they still share five children. "Like it was just -- it was crazy.". A fan walks over and interrupts our conversation. He was the McDonald's All-American Game MVP after his prep career in San Antonio, Texas. MeArah ONeal, a four-star prospect in the Class of 2024, is one of the top prospects in her class. The father-of-six says he's been playing with Tonka's trucks "since the seventies" and buying them for his own children since the 90s. As Jermaine sat in the bleachers, he scanned the crowd -- posters carrying Asjia's face and her jersey number peppered the stands. She had 125 kills, 93 blocks, 35 digs and 22 aces. Point Oklahoma. She started dominating in the playoffs as a freshman. As her future began to take shape, Asjia thought her medical issues were in the past. *Terms apply. She had fluid buildup in her chest, something that's normal post-surgery, but that meant she had to work her core to cough it up. Shareef O'Neal (11 January 2000) is a American college . Southlake Carroll junior Asjia O'Neal spikes the ball during a match on September 20, 2016. 1 overall pick of the 1992 NBA Draft by the Orlando Magic won four NBA Championships with the [] Maybe golf or cricket? * Preferred walk-on. I remember recovering so quickly and going out there and playing and feeling great.". It would have been impossible to know then, but that bleak hospital visit actually would be cause for chocolate cake. After meeting she had four children from the marriage with Shaquille, Shareef O'Neal, Amirah O'Neal, Me'arah O'Neal, and Shaqir O'Neal. The mother-daughter duo relocated to . * Why LSU? In November, just days after the family had sent Asjia's latest reports to Cleveland Clinic -- the evening Texas played Oklahoma -- Jermaine received an urgent call from Asjia's doctor. "I can't believe this is how you guys feel all the time," she said to Mesha. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. 2 recruit named to the USA Junior Nationals All-Tournament Team for three consecutive years (2015, 16, 17) 2017 USA Open National Champion 2016 7-6A MVP of Southlake Carroll High School . And thanks to coach Kelvin Sampson and the assistants he Solomon: DeMeco Ryans the right coach at the right time, 3 pressing questions facing new Astros GM Dana Brown, Jabari Smith Jr. growing up in NBA with an assist from his father, Poor parent behavior is driving high school sports refs away. She was the definition of athletic, but she had such grace, such fluidity about her. I love your team. ON A SUNNY November day in Austin, O'Neal, wearing a burnt orange Texas long-sleeve shirt, bandana and black sweats, is seated at an outdoor table at Civil Goat Coffee, one of her favorite cafes. Amirah ONeal will be coached by one of the greatest WNBA players ever, Cynthia Cooper, who won four consecutive titles with the now-defunct Houston Comets from 1997-2000. Then he calls captain Logan Eggleston to run over to question the call. Amirah ONeal, the daughter of NBA legend and Hall of Famer Shaquille ONeal, has announced that she is leaving her fathers alma mater to play at a historically Black college in Texas. Jermaine ONeal played on multiple NBA teams and was multiple year all star after being one of the nations early high school phenoms in South Carolina. As she waited on the exam table for her doctor, she made small talk with the Texas volleyball team's physical trainer, DeAnn Koehler, who had driven her to the hospital. FILE: Amirah "Mimi" O'Neal, pictured third from left in 2018, the daughter of NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O' Neal and VH1's Basketball Wives' star and executive producer, Shaunie O . Shaquille O'Neal's sister, Ayesha Harrison-Jex, died of cancer Thursday at 40, and the TNT 'Inside the NBA' crew delivered a touching tribute. Before the surgery, even a long warm-up exercise -- which included yoga postures like downward dog, sugarcane and bow pose -- would leave her winded. as well as another daughter by an ex-girlfriend. She hadn't had a sip of water in almost a day (doctor's orders), and she couldn't for a while longer to prevent fluid buildup in her body. * Cal-Hi Sports Division IV All-State Team ONeal, the daughter of former NBA All-Star Jermaine ONeal, wrote on Instagram that countless tests and appointments revealed that her only option was to have surgery. Shaquille O'Neal . The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. With the LSU Tigers, he was a two-time Consensus First-Team All-American selection. She didn't miss a game in 2020, returning to action eight months after surgery and finishing the season with 222 kills and 113 blocks. Southlake (Texas) Carroll sophomore volleyball star Asjia O'Neal has committed to Texas for the Class of 2018. Now, she's somewhere in the high 90s. "It speaks volumes for our program and where we are, and were thankful that the ONeals have the confidence in us to trust us with their son and daughter. She also helped the Texas Advantage Volleyball 17 Black club team win the USA Volleyball Girls Junior National Championship the summer before her senior season and was named a club All-American by PrepVolleyball.com. "She brings so much energy to the team and we feed off of her all the time.". We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Shaq to his kids: "We ain't rich, I'm rich.". Her heart was stronger, it was working better, and she could play the sport she loved. I found this story on USA TODAY High School Sports and wanted to share it with you: When O'Neal was in infancy, his father, Toney, who was an addict was convicted and sent to . The two have three sonsMyles, 24, Shareef, 21, and Shaqir, 18and two daughtersAmirah, 19, and Me'arah, 15. He finished with a season-high seven rebounds and season-high nine points on 4-of . 2018 After a day of exhaustive tests, which included injecting dye into her heart to see the direction of the blood flow, and other athletic tests to monitor her heart at the highest exertion levels, her doctors confirmed the O'Neal family's fears. During O'Neal's infanthood, his father Toney got arrested for drug possession and once went to federal prison for forging checks. ", When Jermaine told her that they'd have to fly to Cleveland, Asjia's first reaction was, "Wait, am I going to miss my next game?". Amirah ONeals brother Shaqir will be playing for head coach Johnny Jones, who coached Shaq at LSU from 1989 to 1992. Shaquille O'Neal said on his podcast, "The Big Podcast with Shaq," that he was a "serial cheater" and the affairs cost him valuable time with his kids. 2023 MLB draft rankings 1.0: Which SEC slugger is No. He was drafted by Portland in the 1996 first round and spent 19 years in the NBA. For six weeks after her surgery, she was home in Dallas, slowly building up her strength. I've been struggling all this time, and this is how everybody else feels after a workout? Her younger brother, Shaqir, second from left, will also play at TSU. She would have to be awake, no anesthesia to numb the pain. "She's not talking about surgery. * Two-time All-State honoree All along, she was plotting her comeback. "What she has, she's had for more than a year now.". Played in 26 matches and 93 sets put down 125 kills, at 1.34 per set and hit .365 on the season She added 93 (7/86) blocks on the year with 35 digs and 22 aces put down a career-best nine kills, hitting .500 and adding four blocks against Rice (9/18) post an 8-0-8, 1.000 hitting line against West Virginia with seven blocks, two aces and two digs (10/19) recorded a career-best eight blocks against Kansas (11/23). We wish her the best of luck.. Asjia ONeal, a former star Southlake Carroll volleyball player now playing at Texas, announced Wednesday that shes recovering from her second open-heart surgery in seven years. "I want them to have most of those goals, and once they get 18 on and they become little mini-adults, I'm not going to be the dad that says, 'Do this, do that.' Me'Arah O'Neal, a four-star prospect in the Class of 2024, is one of the top I literally just told her this yesterday, I said, 'Asjia, you're special, because you're much bigger than just a volleyball player.'". She would need six weeks of rest before she could be cleared to play. The sister of NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O'Neal, Ayesha Harrison-Jex, died from cancer Thursday at age 40. The oldest of seven children, Harrison explained the violence by saying his Jamaican father beat him . Monique holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications Media Studies from Goucher College. Shaquille O'Neal's third daughter, Taahirah, 24, is from his relationship with ex Arnetta Yardbourgh. What she believes in as an African American, Black woman -- be powerful about that -- speak about it in an educated way. But today, she embraces them, both on her social media and in real life. ONeal monitors her health but hasnt been restricted or been unable to participate due to any heart-related problems. "I've always said, 'How do you [know]?' Me'arah O'Neal has so much of Shaquille O'Neal in her. . Privacy Policy His massive 7 foot 1, 350 pound frame g. During her junior season she had 509 kills and 121 blocks to lead Southlake Carroll to the Class 6A Region I final. Amirah just finished her freshman year at LSU, where she plays forward. As soon as the doctors left the room, Asjia turned to her parents and said, "I just want to finish out the season. Shaquille O'Neal is one of the most famous basketball players of all time. Basketball world mourns loss of the Orlando native. Heres what you need to know. The Los Angeles native was a 2019 . The point after that, O'Neal blocks the Oklahoma attack, 24-21 Texas. Her older brother Shareef O'Neal posted a video on Twitter Tuesday night of the young baller throwing down on a regulation 10-foot hoop. I just know how to do it, it just happens,'" Mesha said. The topic came up when O'Neal was asked about Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka's one-year suspension for a reported affair with a team staffer and singer Adam Levine's DMs to models.. O'Neal said he wouldn't criticize Udoka because he had . She does that at such a high level, she blows me away. "Weve positioned ourselves to attract high recruits," he said. When O'Neal awoke, the clock in front of her bed read 10 p.m., and her throat was on fire. His recommendation to walk away from volleyball only strengthened O'Neal's resolve to stay on the court, prompting Asjia and her family to look hard for alternate solutions. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. ONeal is the daughter for former NBA first-rounder Jermaine ONeal , who was one of the first players to go directly to the NBA from high school. LSU Athletics, Louisiana State University, 2023. Her heart condition had deteriorated even further. Though his wife Shaunie was missing, all five of their kids with him at the 'Uncle Drew' world premiere in New York on June 26, 2018. 2 seed until COVID-19 nixed the tournament. Amirah has committed to LSU with her elder brother Shareef O'Neal on April 16 of 2020. Shaquille O' Neal was born on 6 March 1972 in Newark, New Jersey, in the United States to Lucille O'Neal and Joe Toney. He also is a father to . The weekend before Texas took on Oklahoma, the O'Neals were in Waco to watch Asjia play Baylor. Shaquille O'Neal 's sister Ayesha Harrison-Jex died three years after being diagnosed with cancer on Thursday, his colleagues announced on Thursday's . "I was so young. Unlike the rest of the Shaq children, Taahirah isn't involved in basketball. He took Asjia with him to most every game, and by the time she walked and talked, she was on TV, in her father's arms, celebrating his career with him. 1 overall? So, we gotta change that.". Amirah's little sister, Me'arah (left) is a rising sophomore at Crossroads School, where she plays basketball. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, Stand with us in our mission to discover and uncover the story of North Texas, Former Southlake Carroll volleyball player Asjia ONeal, now at Texas, reveals she had second heart surgery, then-Carroll head coach Ryan Mitchell said at the time, Frisco Liberty battles back vs. Lubbock Cooper to claim UIL Class 5A state championship, Boys basketball playoffs (6A): Lake Highlands breaks state drought; DeSoto advances, Boys basketball playoffs (5A): Kimball reaches state; Mansfield Summit clinches berth, 2023 UIL girls state basketball: Schedule, previews and more for Dallas-area teams, DeSotos chase for third straight title continues after rout of Pearland in 6A semifinals, Big 12 tournament bracket revealed; Check out paths for Texas, Baylor, others. Up until that morning, O'Neal felt in control. Disney world includes the daughter and grandson of Walt . "We'll figure this out," Gabriel said, handing O'Neal a piece of chocolate cake they had brought back from the Longhorns' last-day-of-spring-training celebration. This journey has made me truly grateful for the ability to play the game I love and lit a fire inside of me that yall aint seen yet. She brought 152 kills and 95 blocks into this year's NCAA tournament, and Elliott said the Longhorns will need her in order to end the title drought that dates to 2012. (Photo by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images) Me'Arah O'Neal, the youngest daughter of Shaquille O'Neal and Shaunie Nelson is the latest basketball sensation in the O'Neal household. When she was a toddler, her father, Jermaine O'Neal, was at the peak of his 18-season NBA career. ", "You just had your whole chest open, and you're already back," Gabriel recalled telling O'Neal. "We're not going to take what one doctor says and run with it, you hear me?". Since his father Toney got arrested due to drug possession when Shaquille was still an infant, he relinquished his parental rights to O'Neal's stepfather, Phillip A Harrison, who was a sergeant in the Army. Projecting the NCAA men's hockey tournament field, College baseball 2023 Golden Spikes Award preseason watch list -- favorites, sleeper picks, Women's college hockey: Top players, key storylines, Frozen Four picks, Men's college hockey: Top teams, best players, Frozen Four picks, A dad's hunt for an Orioles prospect's unique baseball card. O'Neal stands . Amirah O'Neal, the daughter of NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal, announced her college basketball commitment Thursday to her father's alma mater LSU.. She posted the decision on Instagram.Her brother . Monique Welch was an engagement reporter for the Houston Chronicle. Basketball aside, Asjia was like her father in most every way. Shaquille O'Neal has six children, five biological children and one stepchild. In 2002, the former NBA player married Shaunie O'Neal, a reality television star, but later divorced. Former NBA player Shaquille O'Neal and reality TV star Shaunie O'Neal first got together at the start of the '00s and were married for nine years before they divorced in 2011. A 12-year-old growing up in Southern California, she was born into basketball royalty and is now starting to showcase that n At her peak, she could run 10 minutes before she started to feel light-headed. And she did, sticking with her team until the Longhorns lost in the NCAA regionals against Louisville on Dec. 13, when she hit .778 with seven kills and five blocks. While speaking to BallIsLife, Shaunie was asked if she thought her daughters could help raise the profile of women's basketball. And on the fourth day, she could make one round, with her aid. RELATED: See LeBron James' 16-Year-Old Son, Who's Already a Basketball Star. Things had to change within the University of Texas, and in America, she said. * Full name is Amirah Sanaa ONeal. Shaquille O'Neal's 13-year-old daughter, Me'arah, can dunk. PERSONAL. She had an intuition on the court that amazed coaches. 1 in heart care in the U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals rankings. She needed to have another open-heart surgery. Author: Benjamin Royer. Published on October 25, 2019 10:02 AM. "I know her lifestyle and her career, and if I replaced her valve with a prosthetic one, she would have to commit to subsequent surgeries," Najm said. When O'Neal arrived back on campus, she called her mom from the sidewalk; Mesha O'Neal heard only sobs. Gregory Gym, which is hosting 4,295 people for this Nov. 11, 2021, encounter against Oklahoma, erupts in boos. Shaquille O'Neal, commonly known as just Shaq, 49, . Because O'Neal trained alone at home, it was hard to tell how far she had come in her rehab. * Has three brothers, Myles, Shareef and . She had a lot to learn -- volleyball's rules were "weird" -- but she loved the intensity, the ability to work closely with her teammates when the ball was in the air and the speed of the game. Texas reached the NCAA final under coach Jerritt Elliott last December and lost to Nebraska in Omaha in the championship match. Shareef O'Neal had six points and four rebounds in his 10 first-half minutes during LSU's 75-55 win over Missouri. Asjia's echo and EKG results didn't show anything out of the ordinary, which made her question herself even more. She has a younger brother, and what happened to George Floyd could happen to him. During one of her first days at school, two girls asked her if she'd ever thought about playing volleyball. Yes, the daughter of LSU legend Shaquille O'Neal. The L.A. event, which featured Zedd, Diplo and Lil Wayne, was a smash success. In March 2013, two months after the unsettling diagnosis, Asjia landed in Boston at the Children's Hospital for her first open-heart surgery. HONORS AND AWARDS These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. * O the places I will go Dubai. "She has the ability to change [the team's] personality, maybe more than anybody on our team," Elliott said. She surprised herself by not just leading her team in conversations about racial justice, but also taking those conversations to various communities within UT. O'Neal had previously been a walk-on at her father's alma mater, LSU. You're going to get full 100%.". Shaq's relationship with his ex-wife Shaunie started in 1997 and ended up after nine years of their marriage. / During his 19 year career, Shaq played for six teams and is currently considered one of the . Publish date: Aug 10, 2021 6:37 PM EDT. One of the parents said, "We flew down here just to see your daughter." Her father put it mildly. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. FILE: Amirah "Mimi" O'Neal, pictured third from left in 2018, the daughter of NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O' Neal and VH1's Basketball Wives' star and executive producer, Shaunie O' Neal, has committed to play basketball at Texas Southern University, according to an Instagram post. All rights Reserved. He had dated Shaunie for four years since 1998 before their marriage which was held on the 26th day of December 2002. 10,768 talking about this. She returned home, working with Koehler remotely to rebuild the soft tissue in her chest. She wrote that she was facing the possibility of never playing volleyball again; now she expects to be back on the court come August. While they're no longer a couple, they still share five children. Hook Em! pic.twitter.com/qZyGv1ESgr, Asjia O'Neal (@asjiaoneal) April 27, 2016. Nobody even asked, really. * 2019 MaxPreps California All-State Girls Team honorable mention Midway through a cartwheel, Asjia said, "Dad, I'm going to win it." "She's a master," said Ping Cao, Asjia's club coach. As soon as she was cleared to play, she was back on the volleyball court. PrepVolleyball No. "She can get pretty feisty, and she can get pretty competitive -- and we need that.". These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. ON THE MORNING of Jan. 14, 2020, two months before the pandemic shut down the country, O'Neal was wheeled into the operating room, with her parents, her brother, Koehler and coach Elliott by her side. At every level of basketball, Shaquille O'Neal dominated. * Favorite food Mexican food. * Has three brothers, Myles, Shareef and Shaqir, and two sisters, Taahirah and Mearah; Shareef will be a member of the LSU mens basketball team in 2020-21. "And I'm like, 'Well, then why do I feel like this?'". O'Neal's right foot had landed on the Sooners' side of the net as she nudged the ball over. Just a few minutes ago, the scoreboard read 22-17. Teaching them . This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. However, admittedly, the thought of the man asking his adorable daughter for it, and her begrudgingly giving it to him is a fun thought to have. Taahirah O'Neal is the daughter of Shaquille O'Neal and his ex-girlfriend, Arnetta Yardsborough. Jed Jacobsohn/ALLSPORT. April 29, 2016 8:35 am ET. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Catch up on the day's news you need to know. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Extremely blessed to say that I have verbally committed to play volleyball at the University of Texas! ", Said Koehler: "She was playing at a low 60% capacity before the surgery. She changed into a hospital gown, lay down, and a nurse administered an echocardiogram and an EKG, tests to check the rhythm and structure of her heart and its electrical signals. Shaquille O'Neal, aka Shaq, is a retired professional basketball player who is currently serving as a sports analyst. Shaquille O'Neal's daughter is a pretty big basketball prospect in her own right. Arnetta became Shaquille's girlfriend officially after Taahirah's birth. 1 team in Texas throughout most this past season. "There's been some changes," he began. Me'arah is still too young to commit to play in college, but given her height, her basketball genes, and her ability to dominate the post and drain shots from range, there's little doubt she'll have offers rolling in soon. Outside of basketball, he is known as a family man and is the father of six children. The previous tests hadn't picked up on her deteriorating condition. Nobody expects them to be as large or as dominant as their dad, of course, but Shaq's 13-year-old daughter is making quite the name for herself at a young age. I'm going to show [my scars], I don't care," O'Neal said. For more high school stories, stats and videos, visit http://usatodayhss.com. More viscerally, Asjia was willing to open her heart -- twice -- to ensure that. / By clicking submit, you agree to receive emails from Rolling Out and accept our web terms of use and privacy and cookie policy. O'Neal tuned out every word that came out of her doctor's mouth after that. Which 16 teams should you buy or fade ahead of March Madness? Alex Murdaugh found GUILTY for murder of wife Maggie and son Paul. Wearing No. Next up is Rice (20-6) on Friday. The doctors operated on Asjia for five hours, stopping the leak and then closing her chest. There are no statistics available for this player. While watching O'Neal on the volleyball court, it is easy to forget that just 22 months ago, she could not sit up, let alone elevate her entire body to make a kill. Now 8 days post op Im feeling better and doing more each day, ONeal wrote, and while I know the road to recovery is gonna be a long and hard one Im ready and cant wait to be back on the court in August. And this time the problem was even worse. "They would always try to make me cough things up, but it would hurt so bad to cough because obviously my chest is broken," O'Neal said. Asjia O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal, Southlake Carroll (Southlake TX), Texas, Girls Volleyball, NFHS Network's Weekly Top 10 Basketball Highlights, 3 Texas schools in the lead for 4-star Longview RB Taylor Tatum, Watch: Pete Carroll emphasizes vital importance of multi-sport backgrounds, https://usatodayhss.com/2016/former-prep-superstar-jermaine-oneals-daughter-asjia-commits-to-texas-volleyball, Former prep superstar Jermaine O'Neal's daughter Asjia commits to Texas volleyball. But when she returned to campus in July 2020, she could see how she compared to her teammates. PERSONAL Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. She knew of Texas' success and she wanted to be a part of it. Jermaine, who had been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat in 2013, called every doctor he knew in the NBA to get his daughter the best treatment he could. Dallas Cowboys want another playmaker on offense. What supplements should we really be taking? BEFORE TEXAS O'Neal is the daughter for former NBA first-rounder Jermaine O'Neal , who was . * Daughter of Shaquille ONeal and Shaunie ONeal; Dad played for LSU from 1989-92 and was the No. "I think it's important to tell my story and acknowledge that it happened. * Three-time All-CIF Team Check out Shaq's dating history over the . The former Lakers center who played for six different NBA teams and made over $10 million per season from 1999 to 2009 , said that he expected his children to go to college and earn degrees, and if they happened to establish a company that he could realistically . Me'Arah O'Neal, a four-star prospect in the Class of 2024, is considered one of the top players in her class. It does not store any personal data. Took a red shirt in her freshman season. "Regardless of my accomplishments on the court, I think just having that imagery for young girls is incredible.". She stared at him blankly, her mouth glued shut. (@mearahoneal_). In the time sense, Shaq's opened up about his marital mistakes and fans have . This 2020 season yall gone feel me.. Asjia was a "big baby," Jermaine said, recollecting her birth, when she arrived with a mitral valve leak, which would require regular cardiology appointments and monitoring. Shaquille O'Neal's 13-year-old daughter, Me'arah, can dunk. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.