It's kind of The guy goes into the backyard and sees a black mutt just sitting there. At least thats Mozart They told the judges that Paul and Silas had brought a lot of trouble to the city. Acts 16:29-34 He answered simply, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household." Since then, that simple answer has generated debate about its meaning. 5:18), and we must do the will of God to go to heaven (Mat. In today's sermon, I am going to present to you four principles that make Christian ministry effective as seen in Acts 16:16-34. Joni Mitchell It might seem odd that this jailer did not examine the cells carefully before deciding to kill himself, but people under great stress often panicand this jailer is certainly panicked. It was time to end it. One of the persistent features of the New Testament is the ability of various spirits and demons to recognize Jesus, even when others (especially the disciples) are clueless. This shifting of scope is capable of bringing an effective Christian ministry down to its knees. We cant be sure. The strategois could be a higher-level authority. It's based on the miraculous earthquake in Acts 16 where God opens the jail doors for Silas and Paul. Paul says, Dont you know that to whom you present yourselves as servants to obedience, his servants you are whom you obey; whether of sin to death, or of obedience to righteousness? (Romans 6:16). Sometimes we do our simple best, and God works through us in ways far beyond our efforts, far beyond our imaginings. There are the school doors, the office doors, the church doors as well as the elevator door, revolving doors, and automatic doors. 12 From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. **THEY WERE BEAT WITH MANY STRIPES What are the doors that are closed to you? Jesus had cast demons from men into pigs nearby (Matt. "Pardon and Justification" in Sermons of Rev. God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him Learn more about Desiring God Ways to Follow. There are many reversals in the, Goodnight all. Herman Melvillle Scripture: Acts 16:25-34. "Most High" often referred to . He rings the bell and the owner tells him the dog is in the backyard. Three Portraits of Salvation In Philippi read more, Scripture: Ultimately the words of the demon within her were getting more of a hearing than the proclamation of the Gospel itself! Staying faithful through difficult circumstances. Acts 16:16-34, Denomination: Acts 16:29-34, Denomination: I have wise friends in the recovery community who tell me that they only experienced real freedom when they admitted their powerlessness, and turned their lives over to a higher power. They have told me that the chains that held them and the doors they were locked behind were often of their own making. A) IN JAIL FOR Anthony Trollope Acts 2:1-21 Pentecost; Acts 2:14-41 The First Sermon in the Last Days; Acts 2:36-41 Becoming a Christian; Acts 2:42-47 A New Community; A. T. ROBERTSON Word Pictures on Acts. Chris Botti When you do, nothing can prevent you from moving forward. THE PRISON OF HIS PRAISES. This girl is neither. And Your paths drip with abundance. Rowan Williams Our daughter, in the seventh grade at the time, had had a terrible day with some friends at school. Paul and Silas in Prison. Philip Roth Acts 8:14-17 says this now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, who . To believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is to ENTER into the fold by Him. IT WAS A BAD SITUATION They are not free. 8:28-29; 1 Cor. This is one of several we passages in the book of Acts (see also 16:10-15; 20:5-8, 13-15; 21:1-18; 27:1 28:16). I have known some very powerful people in my time, captains of industry, rich people, famous people. read more, Scripture: A guy sees a sign in front of a house: "Talking Dog for Sale." Thaddeus Quince and the New Originals Newsome, James D. in Cousar, Charles B.; Gaventa, Beverly R.; McCann, J. Clinton; and Newsome, James D., Texts for Preaching: A Lectionary Commentary Based on the NRSVYear C (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1994), Polhill, John B., New American Commentary: Acts, Vol. In a world where Christian ministry has become a profession, most ministers cant help but succumb to these distractions. No matter what your need is with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by 17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, Acts 18. ; Luke is a travel companion of the Apostle Paul. Acts 24. John Updike 12:7-11.) Alan P.F. read more, Scripture: Lydia is moved by Pauls teaching, the jailer by the dramatic earthquake and opening of his prison, the slave girl by being freed from her demon. Executable Outlines - Free sermon outlines and Bible studies! Katherine Sonderegger, Adam Desnoyers Dietrich Bonhoeffer How do we stand strong during persecution? It is important that servants of God watch out for such distractions and eliminate them in order not to lose their influence in ministry. J.S. In nations torn by civil strife, rebels often capture children and turn them into killing machines. Let us all make a note to ourselves that in our most difficult time, at our darkest hour, we could take a page from their book and just sing a good hymn. John Donne So, what are the theological points Luke is trying to make? They did not shrink in fear from the challenge of being inside prison walls, whether as inmates or missionaries. Through prayers of course, (James 5:13). Model sermons available on Lifeway.com, in biblical order. Paul Preaches In Athens #1 -Acts 17: 15-21. When she confronts Paul and . 25But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. It is written in the scriptures that no one can please God without faith. Three weeks ago Rebecca preached about Tabitha, the faithful disciple, whom Peter raised from death to life. 34He brought them up into his house, and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, with all his household, having believed in God. Acts 16:11-40 From Troas we put out to sea and sailed straight for Samothrace, and the next day on to Neapolis. For Philippians Most High God meant a Phoenician deity, for Jews it was the Lord our God and for Greeks it meant Zeus, B. For Jews Salvation meant deliverance from sin. What the accusers do not know, but Paul will later reveal (v. 37) is that he and Silas are also Roman citizens. If we aren't willing to tell them about Jesus, how can we ever invite them to experience all that He has for them? Are the magistrates (strategois) of this verse the same officials as the authorities (archontas) of verse 19? And Your paths drip with abundance. Pingback: The Girl Without a Name - Spacious Faith. "Nathan, that bee is more afraid of you than you are of him," she said. He took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes, and was immediately baptized, he and all his household (v. 33). Sermon. I remember it like it was yesterday. Penal Statistics Data reports that Catherine Mowry LaCugna The only thing different is, that you finally became aware of it. Sermon Notes: Why the Lord is my Shepherd? Ive had congregants on the cover of Forbes Magazine. Annie Dillard Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved (v. 31). When God says "no" it's because He wants what's best for us. Gerard Manley Hopkins And I can assure you having power and money doesnt make you free, much less happy or secure. One Small Change Will Energize Tomorrow's Sermon, Slow Down, Big Fellawhat A Motorcyclist Taught Me About Preaching, Spit-Shine Tomorrow's Sermon Before You Go To Bed Tonight. P.D. Holiness. Sermons. who brought her masters much gain by fortune telling (manteuomeneprophesying) (v. 16d). C.S. Inviting others means that we must be willing to tell them the truth. Hes got the keys. Soren Kierkegaard --Tee Jackson Contents Letter of E Being his Apostles, Paul and Silas exhibited a scene of Faith during their . Paul is accompanied by Silas (15:37-38), and they are later joined by young Mark (16:1). -- Whether its an invitation to a ballgame, to a BBQ, or even to church Brevard Childs But they all witness to the power of the Risen Jesus to transform lives. Inviting others means that we must be willing to tell them the truth. he asks. Timothy and Luke seem not to be involved at this point. Two weeks ago we looked at the story of Jonathan and his armor bearer charging the Philistines. Acts 16:16-40, Denomination: . 2. It was one of those times in scripture when God said not just yes but maybe. The note about ordering the jailer to keep them safely helps to set up the later scene where an earthquake sets them free. These men are servants of the Most High God (v. 17b). 13 On the Sabbath we C. V. 23b The Sentence - These men were cast into the prison. Her Declaration concerning Paul and His mission and 3. In his Epistle to the Romans, he introduces himself as Paul, a servant (Greek: doulos) of Jesus Christ (Romans 1:1). A vision of a man from Macedonia (modern-day Greece) caused Paul and Silas to cross the Aegean Sea to go there (16:9-12). When Luke says that this girl has a pneuma pythonaa python spirithe means that people believe that she can tap into divine powers for wisdom and guidancethat she is, in essence, a human intermediary for divine powers. She has "a spirit of divination," and because of her gifts of prophecy, her handlers have been able to amass a good deal of money from her powers of prognostication. Lyle Lovett All Videos Images Commentaries Devotionals Other Translations Sermons Related Scriptures Podcasts Blogs. Because he wanted Jonathan to pick a direction and go. What is the most important question ever to ask? It came out that very hour (v. 18c). Blessings. Reinhold Niebuhr The Blue Hornets Reflection on John 20:1-18: by Kathryn Matthews (Huey) . As a result of the numerous miracles performed through Paul and Peter, the church grows daily. Lesson 16 - Luke 16:1-17:10 . I seek to foster thoughtful and respectful dialogue. For Philippians 'Most High God' meant a Phoenician deity, for Jews it was the Lord our God and for Greeks it meant Zeus. One Small Change Will Energize Tomorrow's Sermon, Slow Down, Big Fellawhat A Motorcyclist Taught Me About Preaching, Spit-Shine Tomorrow's Sermon Before You Go To Bed Tonight. The Noble Brethren Of Berea -Acts 17: 10-14. I have used these for our church, as I spend my days caring for my dying father. Not only have Paul and Silas remained in prison, but the other prisoners have done the same. (16-20) Areopagus sermon (17:16-34) "God.has set a day" (17:30-31) Trial before Gallio c. 51-52 (18:12-17) . 32-34 They went on to spell out in detail the story of the Masterthe entire family got in on this part. Weekly Theme: Now What? Psalms 65:11 NKJ A precise commentary on acts 16 16 34 can boost your faith and strengthen your walk with Jesus Christ. He was in charge of a prison, and there had been an earthquake, and all the doors of the prison had opened up. A lesser manuscript (known as the Western text of Acts) says that the jailer secured the other prisoners before bringing Paul and Silas outside, but the better manuscripts say nothing about this. John Irving The Prison Experiences Of The Bible. The best way to preach this text is to simply tell the story highlighting the centrality of salvation. Real personal freedom is something else. This procedure is designed, in part, to separate the process from mob rule and to give the accused a fair trial before impartial judges. Donald Bloesch 26 Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the jail were shaken, and immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone's chains came loose. Luke shares the story of her divination (enslavement) 2. **HELPING A LITTLE GIRL The agora was the public square in the center of the city. Richard Bauckham . Copyright 2003-2023 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. Paul and Silas use the jailers question as an opportunity to proclaim the Gospel to him. Acts 21. read more, Scripture: John Piper Feb 12, 1989. Her Deliverance and salvation Luke shares the story of her divination (enslavement) 2.