Alternatively, you can phone 0333 240 7373, or email us atinfo@reeds.co.uk. . Where information is available on the context of previous offending this may assist the court in assessing the relevance of that prior offending to the current offence, Offender has avoided paying any of the fare, Offender produces incorrect ticket or document to pass as legitimate fare payer, Commission of an offence while subject to a. train fare evasion out of court settlement. As fare evasion is a summary offence a court summons can arrive any time (so I'm told) within 6 months of when the offence was committed. specified period, failing which, you may be taken to court. I didn't know what to do with myself. I couldnt recommend Nathan Seymour-Hyde and Reeds Solicitors more. Not only did they maintain a great standard of professionalism throughout the process, but they were understanding and caring too. need advice, Post in Hermes parcels scandal continues - plus Times Radio interview audio file, Buy a homeless person Christmas Dinner - Social Bite, SJPN - Phone went flat - didn't realise i had not paid for train fare when challenged. I immediately felt confident in his ability to attentively, quickly and intelligently manage my case, which was urgent, given that I had only a week before the court summons to get paperwork organised. 2. I was stopped by revenue protection officers and have now received a letter from South West Trains prosecution department. The court should determine the offenders culpability and the harm caused with reference only to the factors below. I could not recommend Nathan enough, he is the best for fare evasion cases re TFL. must, in exercising any other function relating to the sentencing of offenders, follow any sentencing guidelines which are relevant to the exercise of the function, Aggressive, abusive or disruptive behaviour, The court should determine the appropriate level of fine in accordance with this guideline and. the effect of the sentence on the offender. Thanks to him, I managed to settle the matter out of court, which was a tremendous relief. I received a letter from TFL after being caught using my father's Freedom Pass. A was summonsed to attend court and charged with fare evasion. 535,000 cases were heard by magistrates via the Single Justice Procedure (SJP) in 2020. From the first second I felt like he had experience with cases like mine. So I went online, searching for help and I came across Reeds Solicitors LLP. Southeastern trains are able to apply to trainline to view your ticket purchasing history. Twitter - Why you should open a Twitter account, Have we helped you today? Prevalence and community impact statements, General guideline: overarching principles, Reduction in sentence for a guilty plea - first hearing on or after 1 June 2017, Sentencing offenders with mental disorders, developmental disorders, or neurological impairments, How to use the pronouncement-card builder, Overarching Principles Sentencing Children and Young People, Imposition of community and custodial sentences guideline, Offences only just cross community order threshold, where the seriousness of the offence or the nature of the offenders record means that a discharge or fine is inappropriate, Offences that obviously fall within the community order band, Offences only just fall below the custody threshold or the custody threshold is crossed but a community order is more appropriate in the circumstances, must, in sentencing an offender, follow any sentencing guidelines which are relevant to the offenders case, and. Southeastern is the trading name of SE TRAINS LIMITED. We would consider whether any supporting documents could increase your chances of success. I contacted Nathan with a short time-frame of Nathan provided exemplary service and produced a positive outcome in such a way that I believe few other solicitors could have. The matter has been provisionally authorized for prosecution. To find out more contact us at 800.838.9199 . Therefore a young adults previous convictions may not be indicative of a tendency for further offending. For this I will always be grateful. These trains aren't reservable and have no bargain advance fares, tickets are valid on any train on the date on the ticket. 4) When I provided my ID to him I unknowingly gave my old drivers licence with an incorrect address. The court should take into account section 74 of the Sentencing Code (reduction in sentence for assistance to prosecution) and any other rule of law by virtue of which an offender may receive a discounted sentence in consequence of assistance given (or offered) to the prosecutor or investigator. Would highly recommend. Avoiding a fare on purpose and it might go to the magistrates court without the offer of a penalty and then you risk a criminal record. An out of court settlement was agreed. However, what was even greater was his amazing advice. An offender who is subject to licence or post sentence supervision is under a particular obligation to desist from further offending. Destruction orders and contingent destruction orders for dogs, 9. train fare evasion out of court settlement. John Law; his birth and youthful careerDuel between Law and WilsonLaw's escape from the King's BenchThe "Land-bank"Law's gambling propensities on the continent, and acquaintance with the Duke of OrleansState of France after the reign of Louis XIV.Paper money instituted in that country by LawEnthusiasm of the French people at the . The courts handle criminal. He was very professional, he had great questions and ideas and he was also able to offer a consultation outside of normal working hours. The TSSA claimed it demonstrated one law for the rich and one for the poor. He later received Single Justice Procedure paperwork, with a court appearance at Bexley Magistrates Court. Nathan is personable, diligent and I felt reassured my matter was in safe hands. Nathan developed a comprehensive argument to seek to settle the matter out of court, and a few days later he contacted me to say we had been successful. Above and beyond! Sentencers must consider all available disposals at the time of sentence; even where the threshold for a community sentence has been passed, a fine or discharge may be an appropriate penalty. (ii) hostility towards members of a religious group based on their membership of that group. Transport for London, the British Transport Police, another railway, bus or tram Company). When an immediate custodial sentence is necessary, the court must consider whether proper arrangements have been made for the care of any dependent children and if necessary consider adjourning sentence for this to be done. He displayed sound knowledge of how such matters are viewed by train companies and tailored Nathan Seymour-Hyde was extremely professional and responsive in dealing with my train fare evasion matter. You can also be found guilty of train fare evasion if you intentionally pay for a shorter journey than the journey that you are taking. Posted originally on the Archive of Our Own at /works/38514553. ESSENTIAL:: Read our Customer Services Guide!!! Disqualification in the offenders absence, 9. informing me they are considering whether legal proceedings are appropriate. This is known as sandwich tickets. Summary. Advice on how to settle out of court (rail fare evasion) - Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses) - Consumer Action Group All Activity Home Work, Social and Community Work, Social and Community Subforums: Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses) Advice on how to settle out of court (rail fare evasion) Announcements However, the court must make clear to the offender that all sentencing options remain open including, in appropriate cases, committal for sentence to the Crown Court. When imposing a community sentence on an offender with primary caring responsibilities the effect on dependants must be considered in determining suitable requirements. He did what other solicitors thought was impossible, and saved me from getting a criminal record. The extent to which the offender has complied with the conditions of an order (including the time that has elapsed since its commencement) will be a relevant consideration. J o n e s , 1978) Education in the Soviet Union (1982) POVERTY IN THE SOVIET UNION. The court should take account of any potential reduction for a guilty plea in accordance with section 73 of the Sentencing Code and the Reduction in Sentence for a Guilty Plea guideline. However, this factor is less likely to be relevant where the offending is very serious. He received the initial letter from Southeastern and replied but did not receive a response. I am extremely grateful for everything you done for me. A . I contacted Nathan with a week to spare, and he was incredibly professional and helpful and met with me that afternoon. Reforging Glory. We understand that it is deeply concerning to face a prosecution, especially if a criminal record could have an impact on your job, future career plans or travel plans. They put me in touch with Nathan Michael Seymour-Hyde and he was brilliant right from the start. The prospect of death in the near future will be a matter considered by the prison authorities and the Secretary of State under the early release on compassionate grounds procedure (ERCG). I just wanted to let you know about the response I had received today through the post. Nathan was very knowledgeable, he knew exactly what he was talking about. The court will need to be satisfied that the offender is genuinely remorseful for the offending behaviour in order to reduce the sentence (separate from any guilty plea reduction). Nathan showed an attention to detail in establishing the facts and was sympathetic to my circumstances. As I heard him read it out loud on the phone as he was checking its validity. We have an excellent track record of preventing criminal prosecutions in these cases. His comprehensive knowledge of the situation I was in, put me at ease and made me confident that he was the right person to help me. #wprev-slider-2 .wprevpro_star_imgs{color: rgb(253,211,20);}#wprev-slider-2 .wprsp-star{color: rgb(253,211,20);}#wprev-slider-2 .wprevpro_star_imgs span.svgicons {background: rgb(253,211,20);}#wprev-slider-2 .wprev_preview_bradius_T7 {border-radius: 0px;}#wprev-slider-2 .wprev_preview_bg1_T7 {background:#fdfdfd;}#wprev-slider-2 .wprev_preview_bg2_T7 {background:#eeeeee;}#wprev-slider-2 .wprev_preview_tcolor1_T7 {color:#555555;}#wprev-slider-2 .wprev_preview_tcolor2_T7 {color:#555555;}#wprev-slider-2 .wpproslider_t7_DIV_2 {border:1px solid #eeeeee}#wprev-slider-2 .wprs_rd_more,.wprs_rd_less{color:#0000ee;}#wprev-slider-2 img.wprevpro_avatarimg {width: px; height: px;}, Southeastern Trains Prosecution Letter Example Fare Evasion. even if a debt has been to court.. He spoke kindly to our son and listened patiently, gathering the necessary details to assist our response, which was required within tight deadlines. Racial or religious aggravation statutory provisions, 2. The charges were discontinued. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/443900-buy-a-homeless-person-christmas-dinner-social-bite/&do=findComment&comment=5145464, Internet Piracy Claims and bounty hunters, Local Authority Parking and Traffic Offences, Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC - FCA rules), Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold materials, Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses), Advice on how to settle out of court (rail fare evasion), Copyright Reclaim the Right Ltd - reg: 05783665, Welcome to the National Consumer Service. July 14, 2014 in Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses). Typically, this may involve short tickets which do not cover the full journey or sandwich tickets where the middle part of the journey is not covered by the tickets. Thanks to Nathan Seymour-Hyde, who created a detailed plan of action, and bought the best possible outcome to my case. Where the offence has resulted in personal injury, loss or damage the court must give reasons if it decides not to order compensation (Sentencing Code, s.55). Fare evasion is prosecuted in one of two ways: s.5 (3) of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 - intentionally travelling on the Railway without having paid the fare. (5) For the purposes of paragraphs (a) and (b) of subsection (4), it is immaterial whether or not the offenders hostility is also based, to any extent, on any other factor not mentioned in that paragraph. For more serious offences where a substantial period of custody is appropriate, this factor will carry less weight. The starting point applies to all offenders irrespective of plea or previous convictions. Aggravation related to disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity statutory provisions, 1. B travelled into London without purchasing a ticket. I have a court date on the 3rd July regarding fare evasion and I'm looking to settle out of court because I am a graduate aeronautical engineer and any criminal convictions would severely effect my employability within the aerospace and military sector. Generally, the train companies argue that prosecutions are in the public interest because of the huge sums of money which are lost to the rail industry as a result of fare evasion. If the offender received a non-custodial disposal for the previous offence, a court should not necessarily move to a custodial sentence for the fresh offence. This guideline applies only to offenders aged 18 and older. He will appear in court . Needless to say I had a very low chance of success at this point and had given up all hope. (3) The Clerk of the Supreme Court shall be the Secretary ex officio of the Council and shall keep a record of its proceedings. My solicitor listened to my case, Because I tried to avoid paying for the train fee and I was caught, the railway company opened a prosecution case on my name. Penalties For Fare Evasion. Nathan wrote to TFL on my behalf and they dropped my case thanks to his clear and polished email. He was stopped leaving a train station having travelled without a ticket. After this experience I would say that Reeds Solicitors do exactly what they promise they would. C purchased two tickets for each journey one to get through the barrier onto the train and another to get through the barrier on arrival in London, with the middle part of the journey missing.