A grand jury in Texas on Wednesday indicted a registered sex offender in the 1988 cold case murder of a 36-year-old woman after newly processed DNA evidence allegedly linked him to the crime . On June 6, 1972, it was neither. Warrants were served to Hill and Davis in the Nacogdoches County Jail, where they were being held before being transferred to the Angelina County Jail Hill on a revocation of probation charge and Davis on 13 counts of engaging in organized criminal activity. Some of those cases, however, made an impression on viewers and stayed with them long after the credits rolled. And find out all about this friendship and how close were they and was there any jealousy. March 3, 2023. On Wednesday, December 28, 2022, at approximately 7:29 p.m., two unknown suspects burglarized a habitation in the 3600 block of Woodchase Dr. in Houston, Texas. The individual said Shelby accused Oliphant of stealing his money and shot Oliphant in response to the alleged theft, the warrant stated. He is accused in the death of Unity Mitchell, who died at Woodland Heights Medical Center; examiners found multiple skull fractures and bleeding on her brain. Video surveillance captured the suspects leaving location. "One of the things that I hold dear to my heart, was the last day I got to spend with her," Sherry McClung said. :bump: for Megan with some older articles: "We went shopping that day," McClung said. The new reward program, funded by the Governor's Criminal Justice Division and administered by DPS, is designed to help generate investigative leads in unresolved or cold case homicides. Your account has been registered, and you are now logged in. If you forget it, you'll be able to recover it using your email address. MC probably trusted the wrong person, and they killed her in a horrific way. . In an interview Curls neighbor later gave Unsolved Mysteries, she recalled knocking on Curls apartment door nearly an hour later just to make sure everything was alright. Receive monthly updates on the latest issues of Charm East Texas magazine. Location: Texas . A Lufkin man was viciously tortured before being killed. Lise Olsen, investigative reporter for the Houston Chronicle, and Fred Paige, a former Galveston homicide detective, think they know who committed 11 unsolved murders in and around Galveston . Precambrian reptiles that predated the dinosaurs are still . Map Browse By State. Receive the most recent obituaries every afternoon. Lufkin is safer than 5% of the cities in the United States. She was bound to the bed and set on fire. talking about the unsolved murder of megan curl romero and visiting the locations that she visited on her last night alivesupport the channelhttps://www.payp. Location: Lufkin, Texas Tonia looked down to him, and he nodded his head slowly without them exchanging any words. All rights reserved. No one at the club knew who this man was, and no one reported ever seeing him there before or since, Young said in that interview. Byrd's date of birth is July 16, 1949, she was 5'8" tall and weighed approximately 160 pounds. They need to look at the people near her. The two masked killers used a handcart to wheel the store safe out of the building and fled in Reese's car. I really believe that her ex husband had another inmate he was friends with in prison kill her ..I mean it kinda makes perfect sense .He was released one week prior to her murder and because she testified against him before he was released his parole was revoked and he was already abusive and i imagine her doing that made him so angry he mightve been friends with a possible killer that offered to do it for him .And i can tell u that once he set fire to her bed he was long gone out of Lufkin and possibly out of Texas ..He could be back in prison now but it was someone her ex abusive husband knew for sure ..Because the manor of which she died was an angry killing ..Tim Purvis her ex mightve told this guy to leave her unrecognizable due to anger he had towards her. You must log in or register to reply here. Shortly thereafter Mr. Aguilar's body was found fatally wounded. Both were charged with murder initially but those charges were dismissed as a part of the plea deal with prosecutors, Stroud said. There was not a forced entry.. Conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of drug trafficking crimes and aid and abet; and 12) 21 USC 848(b)(1) and (2)(A . Oder confirmed he went to borrow a cigarette but remembered Daugherty lunging at him, so Oder said he grabbed a nearby object and hit Daugherty with it. It's a very sobering thought," Hendricks said. Results: Unsolved. In first grade, she was diagnosed with mild retardation and required to take special education classes. Links: Manage all your favorite fandoms in one place! I was in special ed as a kid and was an outcast as well. Name. Buckner has not yet made a plea. In Lufkin you have a 1 in 24 chance of becoming a victim of crime. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Read Next: The 29 Most Gruesome Unsolved Murders In History. The indictments are related to the Oct. 23, 2020, shooting death of Fredrick Roberts on Ridgewood Drive in Nacogdoches. It wasn't until the blaze was completely extinguished that they would make a gruesome discovery. Without concrete evidence Davis could not be prosecuted for Phillips' murder. Between February 22, 1946 and May 3, 1946, weekends became dangerous in and around Texarkana, Texas, now known as "the town that dreaded sundown.". She doesnt think I am crazy anymore because I can feel things I dont understand. Anyone with information is asked to call the Lufkin Police Department at (936) 633-0365 or Crime Stoppers at (936) 639-TIPS. WEATHERFORD, Texas - A 12-year-old girl and her father in Parker County are recovering from gunshot wounds following a failed murder plot that . Editors note: Newsroom staff of The Lufkin Daily News voted this as the No. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. by Lise Olsen. DNA evidence helped crack unsolved murders, some dating to 1980, of three women and a teenage girl in California, leading to the arrest of a 75-year-old man in Texas, the . Texas Rangers unsolved homicides East Texas. She returned to Lufkin and insisted on getting her own apartment. "He was so mad he would have loved to been able to do something about it.". "The person or persons who committed this horrific crime, it's been 10 years," McClung said. Anyone having information regarding the disappearance of Byrd is asked to contact the Tyler Police Department at 903-531-1000, or Tyler Smith County Crime-Stoppers at 903-597-2833. According to Lieutenant Young, Megans body was found with the remnants of a nightgown on: Most of it had burned off. In May, Mitchells family filed a $1 million wrongful death suit against the Stittem Hill Trail Riding Group, which hosted the event at which he died. Your chance of being a victim of violent crime in Lufkin is 1 in 141 and property crime is 1 in 24. On the night of March 25, 2000, she went to a local night club called the "Electric Cowboy" where she was a regular and had many friends. But if she were going to be romantically involved, she would sometimes wear a negligee or a nightgown, Young told Unsolved Mysteries., We feel, because of that, she knew this person and was preparing for an intimate evening with him.. Get the latest local, college and national sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning. You have permission to edit this article. All Rights Reserved. Welch pleaded guilty to tampering with physical evidence in June 2021 and the murder charge against her was dismissed, court records indicate. RELATED: 12-year-old Parker County girl shoots father after plotting with friend to murder families, sheriff says. Privacy | Terms | DCMA | FAQ. Sanabrias mother, Martha Hageon, 48, of Lufkin, died three days later. Lufkin is offering warrant amnesty program 4 hours ago. "Anyone who knows, anything about this, now is your chance to do what you know has been right all along, for 10 years, 10 years.". 2019: A boat crashes at a bridge near Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina, on February 24, killing 19-year-old Mallory Beach, according to the South Carolina Attorney General in . On January 13, 1996, the nine year old was riding her bicycle to an abandoned grocery store in . Police believe Rodriguez either entered the residence with permission from Price or found an unlocked door. Buy Salvia And Experience The Divine For Yourself! During the incident, the suspect stole over $6,000 of property from the complainant. I dont understand that.. In the early morning hours of March 26, 2000, Curls killer reportedly slit her throat twice and placed a plastic bag over her head before setting fire to her bed. An email message containing instructions on how to reset your password has been sent to the e-mail address listed on your account. Murder Info. This is a list of notable male murderers who committed their murders in Texas, USA. If Henry Lee Lucas did indeed lie about all of those murders, then Carl Eugene Watts becomes the most prolific Texas serial killer of them all. On Aug. 27, Diboll police arrested Shelby in connection to the slaying. It lists the injuries to Sheffield as blunt force trauma to his face and head with tools, specifically metal hedge trimmers. Board names Langston interim executive director of Museum of East Texas; POLICE REPORTS: Local authorities report 18 arrests; Lufkin biker taken to out-of-town hospital with serious injury after two-vehicle crash Sunday on Old Union Road; Down Under dinner adventure goes further south for Huntington duo Keyes committed suicide on December 2, 2012, while in custody in Anchorage, Alaska, after confessing to being a serial killer. An email message containing instructions on how to reset your password has been sent to the e-mail address listed on your account. And I didnt speak to him at all, either. Davis confessed that during a drug induced state he killed his father, brother and sister. Police suspect a freezer in Davis' bedroom once contained the frozen body part found in the theater urinal. 6 The Burger Chef Murders. Her friend was concerned and went up to Megans apartment to check on her. what is chain of title in real estate; how to become an escrow officer. 24 Hour Rapid Cash Las Vegas CASE DETAILS On March 26, 2000, the Lufkin, Texas Fire Department arrived at the scene. This crime was absolutely the meanest thing Ive ever seen one person do to another.. Jessica Cooleys email address is jcooley@lufkindailynews.com. "Speaking generally, that was what he wanted. I can't see someone going to Longview clubs but living in Lufkin on a routine basis. He and his wife had gone for a morning walk. Absolutely.". Sign up today! Rodriguez and two other men were performing yard work at Prices home some time after 10 a.m. that day, according to the affidavit. At around 4AM, Megan's neighbors noticed flames in her apartment. I just want someone to tell me what happened, McClung said of her daughter, who would have turned 40 Oct. 1. Sign up to receive emails about our exciting, Lufkin woman charged with trying to run over man with Charger, chasing him with baseball bat, Hudson school board member recovers district truck near Mexico border after thieves steal it from San Antonio hotel, Former Lufkin police officer in Houston hospital after Saturday motorcycle crash, Six candidates file for health district's administrator position, Board names Langston interim executive director of Museum of East Texas, POLICE REPORTS: Local authorities report 18 arrests, Police: Lufkin man admits having meth after making two paranoid phone calls to department in 30-minute span, Scotty McCreery looking forward to Good For Country concert, helping community, City of Lufkin rolls out new emergency alert system. Tied to the posts of the bed was the charred body of a woman. Hookers boyfriend told police it was an accident, Pebsworth said. February 8, 2021, 8:00 AM, CST . Ed Baker was the head of a wildly successful oil investment firm in the state of Texas. Choose wisely! Later, investigators learned the 12-year-old came up with the plan with another young girl from Lufkin to murder their fathers, but the Lufkin girl decided not to go through with the murder. The Houston Police Department Homicide Division Cold Case Squad is requesting anyone with information about this murder to contact the Cold Case Squad at 713-308-3618 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS. Even though this tragedy has made her stronger, she still needs to know who killed her daughter. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The case has still not gone to grand jury, Pebsworth said earlier this week. On May 3, 1992, at about 10:00 a.m., after 19-year-old Natasha Ann Atchley attended a late night / early morning birthday party in Shepherd (San . It was my friend from the club. And I looked down to him, and he just nodded his head slowly and didnt say a word. It really seems like we need to know what emotional intelligence she had. By Katie Dowd. Extra Notes: This case first aired on the December 10, 2001 episode. WEATHERFORD, Texas - A 12-year-old girl and her father in Parker County are recovering from gunshot wounds following a failed murder plot that authorities said the daughter had been planning for weeks. Since there is no statute . Ryan Antonio Matthews: Case of the boyfriend who murdered his 16-year-old girlfriend, Arrijana Hill, while she was pregnant with twins. At around 4:30 a . 1 local story of 2021. Some unsolved central Texas murders also found within these lists and databases, as well as on Uncovered.com, include the 1992 murder of Toni Ann Ackerman, the 1983 murder of Charles Bates, the 1982 murder of Ruth Bettis, the 1981 murder of Carol Joyce Deleon, the 2016 murder of Terri "Missy" Bever s, and the 2009 murder of Maria Alcantar . Receive the most recent obituaries every afternoon. Sounds like a made up events. Suspects: Authorities and Megan's family believe that she was killed by someone she knew. Sign up to receive The Lufkin Daily News Headlines. Another man, a friend who worked there, drove her home from there. please look into it talk to him at least what do you stand to lose. Police also want to speak to a man wearing a cowboy hat who Megan met at the club. Or it could be that she was just threatening or evening just playing around with an idea like this not realizing how a threat like that could sound to a man trying to keep his image up. By 4 a.m., emergency officials were called to her apartment on a report of smoke coming from her building. When they questioned former partners, they claimed that her normal sleeping attire was shorts and a t-shirt. Christopher Reese's 2014 murder in Notus, Idaho remains unsolved. "When the pointed questions came you can see the rage," Harrison said. However, each man was able to account for his whereabouts on the night of the murder. On May 11, Lufkin police found 31-year-old Alex AJ Alexander shot to death at his home in the 1600 block of Ford Chapel Road. His mother, Guillermina Escobedo (Campbell), said the holidays have been a struggle for the family. The shooter is still at large. News & Events External Links Private Area. 10 May, 2017; by Unsolved Mysteries; 17 Comments ; . LufkinDailyNews.com Authorities also found a metal bat with a red stain on top, opposite the handle, leaning against a wall by a living room chair, according to the warrant. Sadly, her life had never been easy. March 26, 2000, around 4 a.m. Sunday morning, the Lufkin Fire Department responded to a fire at Fox Run Apartments. The FBI and local police are seeking clues in the unsolved murders of four women whose bodies were discovered in a remote wooded field in a small Texas town between Houston and Galveston. She had been at the home earlier and paid a lawn crew of three men to cut the grass, according to the affidavit for Rodriguezs arrest. One of the first serial killers in Texas history, the Phantom Killer murdered five people and wounded three others between February and May of 1946. 2023 Copyright. On Sept. 16, Lufkin residents Carolyn Price, 68, and Cecil Sheffield, 77, were found dead in their home around 2 p.m. by a family member, according to Pebsworth. Cold cases and unsolved crimes in Lufkin, TX. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Why cant people use punctation and paragraphs nowadays? He is believed to have started killing when he was 20, choosing female victims between the ages of 14 . The U.S. currently has 250,000 unsolved murders, a number that increases by about 6,000 each year, according to the FBI's Uniformed Crime Report data. On Oct. 24, William Wade Pierce, 48, was found shot dead in a creek in the 1000 block of Gilliland Creek Road in Huntington, according to the Angelina County Sheriffs Office. He was released from prison about one week prior to her murder. He is in prison on death row in California I believe I cant remember his name but he claims to have killed about seventy people mostly women and in a brutal fashion like. The destcription of her body describers not only the way he murdered woman by stabbing gashing method. Larry Costine. "We're hoping for that one piece of evidence. Assigned to Detective Ratliff 903-531-0192. Curl reportedly arrived home around 1:30 a.m. and a neighbor had a brief conversation with Curl outside their apartment building just before an unknown man pulled up in a car. He was also shot. Renfro was identified by law enforcement as the shooter, according to a press release from the Lufkin Police Department. Sadly, her life had never been easy. For Megans mother, the very thought that her daughter was killed by someone she trusted only added to her grief: I believe that Megan knew who the murderer was because she got in the car with this person. The Tylenol Murders. Just one of the things they did would have killed her. Floyd Shephard Denman. I said, Well, are you sure youre ok? And she said, Yes, Im fine.. "Later that night PD received a call that the part of his body that had been cut off was found in the urinal at what was at the time the Twins Cinema, on the South Loop," Rick Harrison, the lead detective, said. COLD CASE: Case of woman whose body was found in burning apartment remains unsolved. Since 1980, the number of closed cases continually dropped from 71%, landing around 50% in 2020. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Compare Lufkin crime data to other cities, states, and neighborhoods in the U.S. on NeighborhoodScout. We won't share it with anyone else. The Great Flatonia Train Robbery by Murray Montgomery 1-14-22. Police questioned Davis about Phillips' murder but he refused to talk about it. "March 26, 2010, will be 10 years since my daughter's been gone, and when I think about not knowing who it was that performed all those horrific acts on her, I feel stuck, I feel stuck," McClung said. Breakdown of Homicide Clearance Rates. My guts not buying the story. Trends Analytics. Curls neighbor would later describe the man she had seen in Curls apartment as a white male with blond hair, light mustache and gold-rimmed glasses. Oders family corroborated the other witnesses story about the assault, so investigators detained Oder and transported him to the sheriffs office for an interview, according to the warrant.