So much so that according to CBR, some fans believe he was originally supposed to stay dead. Loki had mocked Fury by claiming that he had lost his chance to use the Tesseract to gain unlimited power and, although Fury had merely scoffed at the statement, making it clear that Loki no longer had any power, mocking him by offering a magazine as he walked away. Probably deleted my retinal scan. But the reason he faked his death was to protect himself and those closest to him from Hydra's prying eyes. [2], You know you're glowing, right? ""Ten times bigger.Nick Fury and Maria Hill. We got a really complicated situation. to exactly replicate a human. Captain America: The First Avenger, which was released in 2011, is the first entry . johnnyme February 28, 2023 at 7:30 pm. agents, including Phil Coulson and Whitcher, to capture Fury dead or alive. [4], You have become a problem, a problem I have to deal with. Afterward, Fury drove across Washington, D.C. and called Maria Hill, telling her to come to Washington to discuss his theories about Project Insight and gave her three hours to arrive, which she did not question. First heartbreak when he dumped me without explanation. Coulson then asked Fury if the rumors that the Kree had blinded him as punishment for not giving them the Tesseract were true, to which Fury refused to confirm nor deny the claim. With the world believing the new Captain America was dead, Bucky returned to covert operations, now working for S.H.I.E.L.D. In 1995, Fury and a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. He has a degree in journalism from the University of Montevallo, and is the author of the psychological thriller and time travel novel, "A Man Against the World." of their location, a team led by Talos disguised as Keller arrives. Though if its someone who likes to annoy him, it also allows Fury to confirm their identity. Project Insight plans to launch helicarriers that will connect with satellites and be used to neutralize hostile enemies. Contrary to your belief, you are not the center of my universe. was dead. The Skrull have the technology to heal him, and they owed him one. and founder of the Avengers. They then deduced that she was the pilot that went down with "Lawson" and somehow arrived on Hala. In reality, what audiences were witnessing was a version of Nick Fury who was in theprocess of revealing that he was aliveto more people and had made major moves since going under the radar. Although Maria Hill shot at the robot multiple times, this did not seem to slow the machine down. He was eventually recruited to the covert espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D. series finale that was not shot, that featured Ward's character Deke Shaw sitting in a S.H.I.E.L.D. His secrets have secrets.Tony Stark to Steve Rogers. Once Romanoff was able to capture Alexander Pierce, Fury arrived and confronted his former friend. Later, Fury is pronounced dead, and a sad scene follows with Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson) being deeply affected upon seeing his body. What If the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes? Marvel Has to Stop Pretending to Kill Nick Fury, Disney+'s Marvel Shows Can Bring Agents Of SHIELD Into The Real MCU, How Coronavirus Will Affect The Marvel Cinematic Universe. The son of CIA agents Nia Jones and Nick Fury, Marcus Johnson spent most of his life unaware of his parentage or his mother's true past. believing him to have been killed, Fury had in fact successfully faked his death by using Tetrodotoxin B, a drug developed as a heart-rate suppressant by Bruce Banner to relieve stress. All throughout his childhood, Fury had insisted on only ever being addressed by his surname, even making his mother call him Fury, which he continued to insist for the rest of his life. The significant change that came from Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the revelation that Hydrahad been secretly running SHIELD for decades. Stark then questioned what Fury wanted, which annoyed Fury even more as he told Stark that he had bigger issues to deal with around the world. office, attempting to locate and hunt down future enemies. In fact, he would often help the Avengers, whether by providing resources or motivating them during turbulent times. Fury had been hiding in a safe house with Maria Hill, and when the Winter Soldier came to kill them both, Fury pushed Hill out of the way and took the . [8] In 2004, David Maisel was hired as chief operating officer of Marvel Studios as he had a plan for the studio to self-finance movies. [41], Five years later, as a result of the Blip, Fury was restored to life. Covering the hottest movie and TV topics that fans want. When another soldier then almost took Fury unprepared, Hill managed to shoot him dead, before Fury and Hill joined forces and held Loki's forces at bay to keep them from managing to take over their control room. Although alarmed at his transformation, Fury successfully stopped Hulk's rampage by appealing to Banner's desire to not hurt the innocent people, causing Hulk to leave. Koenig instructed Coulson to keep it secret from his team for the time being. After it is revealed that Pierce is working for Hydra, Fury reappears to override Hydra's control of S.H.I.E.L.D. Toward theend of the first season, Phil Coulson was informedthat Fury was alive and well. Sami listens to Thor grunt, throwing his hammer probably, as the former inmate and Malekith presumably flee. Fury and Romanoff revealed that they intended to release all of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's great to have him dealing with Captain America in terms of being able to speak to him soldier to soldier and try to explain to him how the world has changed in another way while he was frozen in time. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. [34], The team then worked out a plan to infiltrate the Triskelion and destroy Project Insight, which had been revealed to be a HYDRA plot orchestrated by Arnim Zola and Pierce. If we figure out how to tap it, maybe unlimited power.Nick Fury and Erik Selvig. would help Stark find what he needed. Rogers, Sam Wilson, and Romanoff are taken by Hill to see him alive and in a hidden bunker. . It's nearly impossible to read his emotions. More: Marvel's Five New Avengers Characters Joining The MCU In 2020 Explained. With great regret, Fury told Rogers and Stark their communications and idea of where the Tesseract currently was were all gone, along with both Thor and Bruce Banner who had also been recently thrown off their Helicarrier during all of the chaos, while noting that due to Coulson's death he had lost his one good eye, questioning if he had that coming to him. Thor's feet quickly move into the room and Sami wants to speak, to try and calm Thor down. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue . Bucky became the Winter Soldier again, but he was no longer under anyone's control. He then gave Coulson the Toolbox, a device that contained everything Coulson would need to rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D. Once he returned to his post on the bridge to take command of the situation, Fury ordered that the Helicarrier be positioned over water to ensure that if they fell out of the sky, they would not kill thousands of innocent lives below them, becoming annoyed as he had to give directions to the navigator about how to figure out where to turn to get over water. He spoke in coded language, claiming to have been thrown out of his house by his wife, who very few people knew about. New Movie News, Movie Trailers & upcoming Movie Reviews, Why Nick Fury's Righteous MCU 'Death' Was Cut Absurdly Short, Morbius' First Film Appearance Nods To Pop Culture's Most Iconic Vampire, No Way Homes Obvious Spider-Man Leaks Are Hiding Something Much Bigger, Spider-Man: Doc Ocks Tentacles Most Underrated Ability Saved His Life Twice, REVIEW: Frank Miller Presents Ancient Enemies: The Djinni #1 Crafts a Compelling Origin Story, REVIEW: DC's Shazam! The Attack on Nick Fury was an assassination attempt on S.H.I.E.L.D. In 2014, Fury trains Rogers to be a S.H.I.E.L.D. intends to use him only as a consultant. Fury was summoned to the S.H.I.E.L.D. In an alternate 2012, Fury and Barton meet Captain Carter after she arrives through a portal opened by the Tesseract. Together they fought Garrett, who had become extremely powerful due to being injected with the GH.325 serum. [2] Over time, Fury oversaw the training of Phil Coulson and John Garrett as their Supervising Officer. : 2.08: The Things We Bury, 'The Marvels' Is In Production With New Set Image From Samuel L. Jackson, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Answer: Thanks for asking. Except, of course, Goose is an alien, with a bacteria contained in his claws that leads to an incurable infection, and a few days later Fury has had to lose his eye. Adapted from Nick Hornby's 2014 novel Funny Girl, . Deviating from the Marvel formula a bit, the ending of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier isn't designed to leave . Fury headed to the Cybertek Manufacturing Facility where Coulson was involved with a fight against HYDRA. Later, the team is taken to a secret facility where they learn that Fury didnt die. "[47] Reviewing The Winter Soldier, Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter said that "from a dramatic point of view, the greatest interest lies with Jackson and Redford, two great veterans whose presence lends weight to the fantastical proceedings and whose characters take some interesting twists and turns before it's all over. ""And I owe you that. Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki is a FANDOM Movies Community. [33] Jackson described Fury at this point as a desk jockey, who has not yet become cynical towards bureaucracy and who learns in the film that there are superpowered beings who could help S.H.I.E.L.D. After listening to a black box recording of Vers and Mar-Vell, Vers remembered who she was, and both she and Fury agreed to help find the core at Mar-Vell's Laboratory to help Talos end the Kree-Skrull War. They were then joined by Natasha Romanoff, with Fury revealing he had placed her undercover within Stark Industries to keep an eye on Stark's behavior, prompting Stark to try firing her. Fury was radioed by Garrett, not long into the mission, who said that he wasn't sure he'd make it out. agents in the aftermath of those events, rescuing agents Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons from drowning in the ocean and providing Agent Coulson with the Destroyer gun to take out enemy soldiers, before they confront John Garrett and Deathlok. was indeed planning on building up their arsenal of weapons with all the Tesseract's technology, similar to what HYDRA had previously done, but noted that he had another plan which was an even greater risk. Fury was swapped out with Talos when he almost died in Winter Soldier. He has a very good idea of what's going on but his paranoia keeps him from believing some of it. Sometimes the changes work, and sometimes they dont. Marvel Studios. It might get loud. Rogers, however, who mortified with the concept, pointed out how this meant that people were being killed before they had a chance to commit a crime, something that could be highly dangerous. Fury then went to go collect some of Vers' items with Monica, while Vers talked with Maria. ""Are you really sure about that? After assembling the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos (Josh Brolin) wiped out half of everyone in the universe with the snap of his fingers. [31] Feige explained that Danvers is the first superhero that Fury has come across,[32] which sets him on a path to his role working with heroes in later-set MCU films. After being brainwashed by the Red Skull, he became a cold-blooded secret agent known as the Winter Soldier but later broke free and became a freelance mercenary. Once Fury arrived, he had found Stark looking over a brief for the Avengers Initiative which he then claimed he did not want Stark to read, instead of handing him Natasha Romanoff's assessment of Stark himself during her undercover mission with Stark. As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with a fellow Avenger and S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier. In the movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", Nick Fury comes back to life after being shot by the Winter Soldier. when Pierce gave up his position to become a member of the World Security Council. The latter was kept a secret, even from the Avengers. Published Mar 22, 2020. [35] Jackson added that trusting Danvers plays a key role in his development, as they become "compatriots" throughout the film. ""What is it? While Stark questioned whether or not to look into Fury's eye or his eye patch and if he was even real, Fury turned his attention onto the palladium poisoning on Stark's neck. So, Bucky was about 28 back in 1945 when he was turned into the Winter Soldier, and he also kept aging during all of the time he was out of cryo for missions. Turning off his simulation of the beach, Fury told the other Skrulls to get back to work, asking them where his shoes were. [25] Fury gave his report to the World Security Council. Seeing that S.H.I.E.L.D. In the first trailer for the Marvel Studios Disney+ series . Fury revealed to Rogers that S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury is clearly one of the MCU's most important characters, but a big problem with how he's been handled in the MCU is Marvel's tendency to kill - or pretend to kill - the character. ""Because you were the best, and the most ruthless person I ever met. ""At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me. Afterwards at S.H.I.E.L.D, he officially declared Hulk to be Ross's problem for the time being. facility when Loki arrives to steal the Tesseract and take control of Agent Clint Barton and Selvig. While visiting Tony Stark at Clint Barton's home, Fury told Stark that he cared very much about him. Fury called Tony Stark to warn him of the impending nuke, Stark was able to intercept the missile and fly it towards the Wormhole. agents Fury and Phil Coulson to investigate. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) Edgar Wright's energetic adaptation of Bryan Lee O'Malley's hit indie comic book has its detractors. This led to an assassination attempt on Fury that started on the streets of Washington D.C. and ended in the living room of Steve Rogers' apartment. : 1.11: The Magical Place. Upon seeing the alien's true form, Fury quickly covered the Skrull's body and marked the scene of the accident under S.H.I.E.L.D. 's influence over the world, allowed Rogers to go quietly hand Fury ten dollars to complete a bet they had made about whether or not Rogers could be surprised by any new things since fighting HYDRA and waking up in the modern era, as Fury smiled to himself and then went over to greet all of the other Avengers. In 1998, David Hasselhoff portrayed Fury in the Fox television movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.,[2] which was intended to be a backdoor pilot for a possible new TV series, which did not materialize. Fury was able to shoot the jet with a rocket launcher causing it to crash but not kill the pilot, however, a second jet had been sent as well which Fury was unable to stop as it flew towards New York City while Fury looked on helplessly. As Garrett continued to monologue about his plans, Fury was able to correct him when he misquoted one of Fury's speeches, making it clear that his mindset was all wrong. The Marvel Cinematic Universe began, for many fans, with Iron Man in 2008, but the universe wasn't truly born until its post-credits scene when Nick Fury introduced the Avengers Initiative. As Fury returned to his office and prepared to look into the files that Romanoff had gathered from the Lemurian Star, he found that he did not have clearance for the files. Fury realized that Vers was telling the truth, and deduced that the Coulson riding shotgun next to him was a Skrull impostor. Rogers managed to survive his battle with the Winter Soldier and their mission was complete, resulting in the world learning of HYDRA's attempt to take over the world. ""You planning to step on us? The Winter Soldier gets away, prompting Cap and Anthony Mackie's Falcon to embark on a quest to find him at film . investigation and analysis. vessel, can read a target's DNA anywhere in the world. Nicholas Brooks has been writing professionally for over a decade, covering many aspects of pop culture from film and video games to comics and anime. This time we werent overly concerned that Furys death would be permanent, as most of us assumed The Avengers would find a way to reverse the snap. James Gunn Reveals New Superman, Batman Movies and More, [MCU] Fury was swapped out during Winter Soldier, Avengers Fan Theory Explains When Nick Fury Was Really Replaced by Talos, Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, Quantumania Exclusive Interview | Phase Zero ft. Jeff Loveness, Keanue Reeves Still Wants to Play Wolverine, Jonathan Majors Didn't Ask His Creed III Co-Star Michael B. Jordan for MCU Advice, Jonathan Majors Shares His Original Reaction to Being Cast as the MCU's Kang, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania's Jonathan Majors Breaks Silence on Negative Reviews, Shazam! Ignoring Malick's concerns, Fury met with Steve Rogers in his gym, where he was still trying to cope with having been asleep for nearly seventy years, with Fury suggesting that he should be out celebrating his survival and enjoying the new world he was in. Fury kept the reason for this injury secret, telling others it was classified but happened in the line of duty, while Danvers left the Earth in order to find a new home for the Skrulls. agents to chase after Vers and the Skrull. After they arrived, Vers was greeted by Monica Rambeau, who called her Auntie Carol and her mother Maria Rambeau, who was apparently a long-time friend, while Fury watched as all this unfolded. Fury then watched as Rogers and Stark had continued their argument, until telling Romanoff to remove Banner from the room, leading to Banner becoming angry over the creation of a cell made to kill him, explaining that it was not possible to kill him, which he knew to attempt suicide previously. Thisled to his slow reemergence to his allies in Avengers: Age of Ultron, subtly clearing up the discrepancy the films seemingly established. Fury told Coulson that he brought Coulson back because, in his eyes, Coulson was an Avenger, one of the few people that he trusted and told Coulson that S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury reveals that although Pierce had deleted Fury's retinal scan from the system, Fury had a backup scan of his destroyed other eye. "[24] Jackson added, "You see Nick Fury the office guy, him going about the day-to-day work of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury was ordered by the World Security Council to recruit Emil Blonsky into the Avengers Initiative, so he dispatched Coulson and Sitwell to find the solution, since Blonsky was too much of a liability. Agent Natasha Romanoff and that his father Howard was a S.H.I.E.L.D. Hand later informed Coulson that Fury was very relieved after hearing of Coulson's successful rescue mission. See if they could work together when we needed them to fight the battles we never could.Nick Fury. From there, Fury, Vers, Talos, Maria, and Goose boarded the Quadjet, upgraded by Norex, and headed off to find the core. He also warned him that Skye was a risk as she had previously been a member of the Rising Tide. Despite Alexander Pierce and the entirety of S.H.I.E.L.D. ""Yes, sir. Fury was taken to the hospital and ultimately pronounced dead during surgery, after which his body was taken by Hill.