For now., The former contestant, who competed on three seasons of the show, took to Twitter to vent more about the situation. I own responsibility in what is the worst decision of my life., Let me be clear, outing someone is assault, Varner said. Knowing where my story would eventually end, I became obsessed with how I was not OK. For days, I sat in my shame, finding it very difficult to Ive worked hard every day to understand why it happened and how I could ever make it right. A post shared by Boston Rob Mariano (@bostonrobmariano). 45. Theyre not going to allow them near a live mic. I hurt Zeke, he said. At Tribal Council, Varner asked Smith, "Why haven't you told anyone you're transgender? Kelsea Ballerini, Chase Stokes Get Cozy at Rangers Game, Biggest 'Survivor' Controversies Through the Years, Malcolm in the Middle, Survivor and More TV Shows Turning 20 in 2020, Toughest Survivor Competitors of All Time, 'Survivor's Biggest Villains and Fan Favorites. nothing. I have so much to say and am fuming right now. Jeff has consistently maintained an attitude of grace and his sense or humor, while creatively identifying how to ensure thorough test coverage on aggressive schedules. In one recent 13-minute video, he criticized the new woke Survivor, calling out host Jeff Probst for no long referring to groups of Survivor contestants as guys., They opened a can of worms, he said. These 20 castaways were voted by the fans to return to Survivor for another chance to play the game and win the million dollar prize on the new season of Survivor: Cambodia: Second Chance. While Dans dismissal has validated the concerns that I raised from the beginning of this season, I wish that no one else had to be subjected to this type of behavior,she wrote via Twitter on Wednesday. What just happened onSurvivortonight is 100% bull st. #Survivor.. "What just happened on Survivor tonight is 100% bull st. Ive ever read, graphic death threats and anonymously written hopes I die a slow people to change and turn adversaries into allies. Ahead of the live finale, I give him every inch of every room to feel and experience what hes feeling. As Zeke went back into a game with He held that chair until he left the station in April 2011. was I going to say? are deceptive. beside me as I prayed for God to protect Zeke and be with those who love him. It keeps us stuck. Doesn't that also signify something about the movement's evolution or the people involved high up nowadays? Prior to that, the openly gay North Carolina native had worked as news anchor for CBS and Fox affiliates. If he wants to take swings at me, Im the one to hand him the bat. I have apologized to him weve spoken several times on the phone. ET. And hes calling me a bigot and full of hate and all kinds of stuff. The news comes after the show removed contestant Dan Spilo from the series for an off-camera incident., Ive talked to cast members. to embrace his former cast mate because that's how we encourage I also remember leaving, walking down a lonely spotlit path than me knew it was what I needed. decades building, revealing every drop of shame Id stored inside for 51 years fear of coming back together with the man whod lived rent-free in my head and Ugh. Just grab your torch.. . At the time, in the event of a tie, previous tribal council votes would be used. I feared for him as he began to process a brave new life he What would he say? One of the authors whod offered me the A faint smell of eucalyptus wafts under the door. When we were in pain and we are in fair, we are dangerous people. My curiosity got the What right do I have to even hint that in this storm of fear, anxiety and excruciating anticipation, Im struggling -- hurting for the pain and terror Ive forced another human to endure. each episode passed. I give him every inch of every room to feel and experience what hes feeling. council I sat in the middle of a group of people whod been lying to me for And hes calling me a bigot and full of hate and all kinds of stuff. According to News & Record Greensboro, Varner was fired from his job as a real estate agent on Thursday his now-former employer Allen Tate Realtors saying Varner was in the middle of a news story that we dont want anything to do with.. Part of the a360media Entertainment Group. So pissed. He continually forgives me. Fairplay returned to the spotlight in December 2020 when he was arrested for larceny and accused of stealing furniture and a necklace from his grandmother, the same grandmother Fairplay claimed was dead on Survivor: Pearl Islands. According to News & Record Greensboro, Varner was fired from his job the day after the episode aired in which Varner attempted to save himself from being eliminated by painting Smith as deceitful. His now-former employer, Allen Tate Realtors, said the 50-year-old was in the middle of a news story that we dont want anything to do with.. that he was ready Not only was Jeff Probst didnt even have them go off and vote in secret. Laced with partner sitting down to face what wed worked so hard to prepare for. struggle with guilt for having a good day. No one is going to beat me up worse than I have myself., - Jeff Varner (@JEFFVARNER) April 13, 2017. In the end, Probst asked the rest of the tribe if they are set on voting out Varner, and they said yes, thus sending him out of the game without the usual written-vote style of elimination. News Live, and then as a field correspondent and host for the TV Guide Channel. Theres no stopping now. A desperate, starving and sleep-deprived soul cowering Threats of boycotts. Do you not see that? said Probst. Ive This producer manipulation is 100% bull st. Please note that this form cannot be used to reset your Google or Facebook password. When Kim learned about his removal from the show, she shared a statement on Twitter. The 47-year-old is a podcast host these days: He covers Survivor, Big Brother, The Amazing Race, and The Challenge on his podcast Reality NSFW. Survivor Second Chance Retrospective: Jeff Varner. most hope was tweeting about me in not-so-kind terms. supported, strong and ready for it -- a far cry from where I was in that which did not go well. Tom Varner est aujourd'hui l'un des cornistes de jazz les plus connus. Zeke is a wonderful man and I will forever be amazed and inspired by his forgiveness and compassion. I have apologized to him weve spoken several times on the phone. And in a defeated state, I I dont better than I ever could have. I heard their voices screaming at me. before. An extensive genealogical search discovered that Varner and Edward R. Murrow are related by marriage on Murrow's mother's side of the tree. As a result, Varner began to panic and decided to turn on one of his own allies, ultimately voting with the majority to send Law home on Day Nine. up its contempt, anger, fear, pain and defensiveness to fire at my heart. Youre saying by him not revealing it that hes capable of deception. It Jeff Varner didn't just lose out on "Survivor" prize money after outing Zeke Smith. TheSurvivor: Island of the Idolsfinale and reunion will air on CBS on Wednesday, December 18, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. He currently resides in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA. Cowards. Two-time Survivor player Shirin Oskoo talks about ending a friendship over the cruelest thing she's ever seen on the show. But the following March, the larceny case was dismissed, with Fairplay telling TMZ that the allegations came from a disgruntled family member. didnt you tell everyone youre transgender?, like he somehow had an I found it incredibly difficult to admit out loud I was first steps toward true healing. strong scent, not quite thick enough to slice through the silence surrounding reveal our purpose. ET) on CBS. Threats of boycotts. He was a weekend anchor and reporter at FOX 8 WGHP in High Point, North Carolina. Ten months At Mana's second Tribal Council, he joined the majority in voting out Survivor: Cagayan winner Tony Vlachos. I know that he has a lot of people in his ear. A move of reckless abandon that ignited a The openly gay North Carolina native, who previously worked as news anchor for CBS and Fox affiliates, said he looked forward to working for a firm that would support him during hard times. He recently left Tyler Redhead & McAlister Real Estate for Allen Tate Realtors. [9] During his exit interview, he stated that no one on Survivor should do what he did. immediately rebuked by fellow cast mates, who sent the three-time contestant was ill-prepared for that conversation, but drawn to it as if a force greater But there are moments from that Stephanie Petit is a Royals Writer and Reporter at PEOPLE. on my journey than an unexpected email from Zeke asking if Id like to talk. This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors. Everyone - including Jeff Probst - attacked Jeff for his highly insensitive and . around inside my tortured head. I can only profusely apologize. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. 10 months trying to make sense of the worst decision of my life. saw their faces contorted with pain. MORE: Jeff Varner Tearfully Admits to Being in Therapy Since Outing Zeke Smith on 'Survivor'. hate on its way to me, at the end of the day, had nothing to do with me. The secret to shedding your shame is to happening. [7] After their tribe lost again on Day 11, Varner was eliminated in a unanimous vote, placing 17th in the overall competition. MORE: Jeff Varner 'Devastated' to Be Fired From Job After Outing 'Survivor' Contestant Zeke Smith. Threats of boycotts. The night of April 12, I cleared the house. had come and gone, and I was still breathing. When were And if were not, we blame ourselves and believe Just grab your torch.. about to give birth to a new coat of ugly Id wear forever. I wasnt even given the chance to explain or right the wrong, Varner said. They are pre-taping the reunion because cast members plan to publicly support Dan and call out producers. Two lives that would be rocked forever now Since Zeke was always top of mind for me, I started to As Im spending hours doing press [on Thursday], I discover I cant access my email. Now that I can officially talk about it, let the healing begin." . He is known for USA's Cannonball Run 2001 (2001), Survivor (2000) and Hollywood Squares (1998). In his desperation not to be voted out, he outed Smith as transgender in what he claimed was an effort to show deception. MORE: 'Survivor' Contestant Zeke Smith Is 'Excited' to Speak With Jeff Varner at Reunion. 10 Most Annoying Survivor Contestants Ever, Survivor's 10 Wackiest Contestants Of All Time, 5 Survivor Contestants Who Should Never Have Won, Soap Opera Spoilers For Friday, December 16, 2022, Soap Opera Spoilers For Thursday, December 15, 2022, Soap Opera Spoilers For Wednesday, December 14, 2022, Ranked: Greatest Soap Opera Couples Of 2022, Ranked: Greatest Female Soap Opera Stars Of 2022, Ranked: Greatest Male Soap Opera Stars Of 2022, Things You Didn't Know About Soap Star John Aniston, Astonishing Soap Opera Character Returns Of 2022, Soap Opera Couples Who Will Break Up In 2023, Soap Opera Characters Who Need To Be Written Off In 2023, Soap Opera Couples Who Will Reunite In 2023. That family is his wife, Amber Mariano, winner of Survivor: All-Stars, and their four daughters, Lucia, Carina, Isabetta, and Adelina. Kroger's new e-commerce fulfillment center is now open and its employees have started making . Watch PEN Fan Forum: Survivor, on the new PEOPLE/Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN) here, or download the free app on your Smart TV, mobile and web devices. What transpired next is a blur. I Bankston died in a train derailment in June 2014, according to The Hollywood Reporter. When he played on 2017sSurvivor: Game ChangesVarner outed his fellow contestant Zeke Smith as transgender in an attempt to save himself from elimination. for you at home. Prior, he worked as a general assignment reporter for WPIX-11, the CW's flagship station in New York City. But Im most proud to say that today I do not walk All of the other tribemates disregarded their alliances for the evening to admonish Varner and support Smith. Smith explained that he "was checked out for about 45 minutes to an hour" after Jeff outed him. View Jake Varner's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. I bounced from feeling OK and comfortable to deep sadness I dont see or talk to most of these people nearly often enough, but they all have my heart, said Oskooi. More recently, she started a soup company, got a job as a private chef, and started hosting a podcast called Hit the Ground Running With Jerri Manthey. a mistake I owned. Despite apologizing on air and realizing his error, Varner was unanimously eliminated without a formal vote and was condemned after the episode aired for outing Smith and was fired from his job as a real estate agent as a result of the controversy. There were no poles, there was no peanut butter, and there was no time to waste. What happened in his previous season: Jeff Varner was a new school style player on a very old school season. It was an ugly day., Varner said he was dismissed in what I felt was an ugly, knee-jerk reaction kind of way., I was devastated, he added. knew the world was attacking back, and likely in ways much worse than I had inside fueling defensiveness, stirring up anxiety and sowing the seeds of low Varner took to Twitter on Wednesday evening to issue a lengthy apology. I know that forgiveness is difficult. (Robert Voets/CBS via Getty. At Tribal Council, both Varner and Diaz-Twine voted for Trang, but the rest voted against Diaz-Twine, thus sending her out of the game for the first time in her Survivor career. Survivor contestant Jeff Varner says he was devastated to lose his job as a North Carolina real estate agent following outrage and backlash for outing fellow tribemate Zeke Smith as transgender on the CBS reality competition last week. The day of the call, I was terrified. During the show, Varner's luxury item was a coloring book and a set of crayons. 7+ years of experience in traditional and social media, communication strategy, defining messages,. I have been through, I dont know how much therapy. The message should be clear that hate will always lose.. will always call motives into question. That shame circle in Fiji would pale in When youre on that island you can easily lose sight of the real world, I am profoundly sorry. months, he had this way of easing the fear that his life would be difficult and After years of living in New York, Varner lives in Seattle working at the Cornish College of the Arts. When we were in pain and we are in fair, we are dangerous people. Zeke and I did People who make mistakes peppered with the predictable Probst declaration, Varner, absolutely ET) on CBS. I know what really happened and leaving the viewer with the impression Dan has molested someone on production is bullsht, he wrote on social media. Varner, 50, is a former news anchor for CBS and Fox affiliates, who now works locally as a real estate agent. anything better. That prepared reunion is cowardice. Smith, who is still in the game, told PEOPLE he was shell-shocked by Varners decision and struggles with forgiving him. April 12, castaway Zeke Smith wasoutedas Survivor Alum Jeff Varner Goes On Rant About The Survivor Pre-Taped Reunion Show Changes, removed contestant Dan Spilo from the show for an off-camera incident., Spilo is banned from attending the reunion show. edit, the harder the fallout. disapproving expressions and their shame. "In all the . It was an ugly day., Varner said he was dismissed in what I felt was an ugly, knee-jerk reaction kind of way., I was devastated, he added. [6] Early in the game, Varner was seen as a crucial player in the season: He and Peih-Gee Law from Survivor: China were the swing votes who ultimately decided the elimination of Vytas Baskauskas on Day Three, and Varner himself organized the elimination of Shirin Oskooi on Day Six. Jeff Varner Outing Zeke. Then the MLS association emails to say, Youve been terminated. I didnt even find out from my company, he said. I was also lucky enough to become close with some people from the press, a producer and his wife, and several fans. I wasnt even given the chance to explain or right the wrong, Varner said. 1. They love Dan. These days, his website shows hes still affiliated with that company and working in central North Carolina. apology and pain, I offered the few words I could find. And there were still many nights I didnt "[citation needed], Varner used his communications background to transition into web development, working in developing online properties for Citibank, MCI, Harlequin Romance, and Martha Stewart Living Online. Deceptions on levels, Jeff, I get it. I I have been through, I dont know how much therapy. He seemed to understand the situation Brittany is a writer who is obsessed with rom-com movies, Gossip Girl, reality television, fashion, and pop-culture. GREENSBORO Jeff Varner intentionally stayed away from social media on Thursday, a day after he outed a fellow "Survivor" castmate as transgender before millions of viewers. As they worked to delete the negative That moment Ive waited and worked so hard to be ready for I deserve every bit of it. respect Zeke Smith, hoping that hes OK and about to start thriving like never that has neither excuse nor defense. How to Watch 'Daisy Jones & the Six' Online Now Streaming, John Legend Launches Affordable Skincare Line Loved01 at Walmart, How to Watch Farmer Wants a Wife Premiering March 8, 15 Spring Wedding Guest Dresses for Every Budget, How and Where to Watch All The Oscar-Nominated Films Online, 'Survivor' Contestant Zeke Smith Outed as Transgender by Fellow Castaway Jeff Varner. Seeds cant take hold and grow without the rain. spoke in the truth Id worked so hard since Fiji to embrace and own. She also has friends from outside her seasons. The death of the Varner everyone loved and enjoyed was days away, Jeff Varner real journey had just begun. fingers. I made could hear the tidal wave of contempt heading my way. My closest friends range from across a bunch of different seasons and include non-players who are also a formative part of the experience. Varner, a three-time former Survivor castaway, went on a tirade on social media after watching Dan's removal from the game on Wednesday night's episode and learning CBS will air Survivor's Season 39 three-hour finale event on tape delay on December 18 due to alleged "sensitive material" and "security concerns" for the cast. So pissed. The unprecedented decision will mark the first time in Survivor's near . And Im no longer hurt by someone elses. think we both agree, its rained enough. . Maybe. had come to learn our society, blindly trudging through its shame, would rise Before the final pre-merge Tribal Council, Varner tried to convince Lacina, Wanner, and Boehlke to vote out Lusth, by saying that Smith was deceiving the tribe about his relationship with Lusth. Its awful. safe and have our needs met. the shame that followed and his attempts to rehabilitate his life. And hes calling me a bigot and full of hate and all kinds of stuff. I decided to avoid social media for the next two weeks, as I And in 2021, she filed for divorce from Survivor: Samoa alum John Fincher. have the right to be forgiven. It would sit suffering and the demands for my death. My shame and I eventually became best friends. It would be massive. Varner is now looking to get picked up by another real estate agency. I that doesnt allow a day to pass without remorse and regret. We say things we dont mean. Whats great is that nobody bought it., Its important people see he lost that fight, he added. The show was against me. That full screen disclaimer is a crock, he tweeted at the user. It was also reported that Spilo is banned from attending the reunion show. Most Memorable Moment: Stepping down from Immunity Challenge for peanut butter. Suddenly my real estate license was inactive and my current clients [were] left in the dark. He forgave me again, promising to not come after me in anger when On the seventh episode of CBS'Survivor: Game Changers, which aired that changed everything. But you dont know the narrative producers will choose for many a day in that eucalyptus-scented room full of tick tocks reviving my Im not afraid to share my truth. He was given a formal warning from production at day 22. And, asSurvivorfans know, shortly after I spoke up on camera, I was voted off the show, she continued. talk about what had happened without breaking down. Jeff has 5 jobs listed on their profile. I recklessly revealed something I mistakenly believed everyone already knew. So, any bricks pounded against my face are well-deserved, right? In my reading, Id learned a little bit about contempt. videos along the way. I unleashed on his life. In this and other calls wed have over the was a moment of weakness that found me suddenly ducking the most hateful emails Much has been made the last few weeks over one of the most controversial moments in television history. FormerSurvivorplayer Jeff Varner aired his grievances with CBS on social media on Wednesday after the network announced that the reunion show forSurvivor: Island of the Idolswill be pre-taped for the first time in the series history. With the shows therapist, with a local therapist. the last one. The first million that I won with Survivor [from Cagayan], I invested in a lot of properties, he said. I did a bad thing. CBS andSurvivorwere on notice of Dans behavior from the very first days of the game. transgender by Jeff Varner in a desperate attempt to save himself When it was over, I cried a little. What just happened on Survivor tonight is 100% bull shit. I give him every inch of every room to feel and experience what hes feeling. As for Varner, not only was he unanimously voted off of "Survivor" that fateful night at Tribal Council, but after the episode aired, he lost his job at a North Carolina real estate agency.. View Jeff Varner's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. sat in silence, my breathing shallow, staring intently at the screen and seeing Zeke Varner talks to Zeke, Tribal Council S34E06 (2 of 4) Survivor: Game Changers, Jeff Varner outs Zeke, 'Survivor' castoff Shirin Oskooi lets loose on 'condescending' Terry, 'psycopath' Abi-Maria, Subscribe to Gold Derby's YouTube Channel youtube.com/subscribe_widget?p=GoldDerby GoldDerby.com offers celebrity interviews and expert predictions to track who's ahead to win the Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, "American Idol," "The Voice," "Survivor," "Amazing Race," "Dancing with the Stars" and more. Despite Zekes forgiveness, I still you. It was over. typhoon of emotion tossing and thrashing me about and made it through. We dont need to vote, hostJeff Probstsaid at the time. I know that forgiveness is difficult. Jeff Varner has appeared on Survivor three times, but Game Changers would prove his last. I was a broken man armed with people who cared and tools to begin I think he hoped others would believe that trans people are dangerous and fraudulent, he said. That reasoning is infinitely worse than him outing me because its the same one used to discriminate against, attack and murder trans people. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill About Real estate broker specializing in residential. up to its standards. I spent About to climb the walls, Varner posted to Facebook after the shows episode aired. They joined original Nuku member James "J. T." Thomas, Jr., winner of Survivor: Tocantins. A post shared by Jonny Fairplay (@jonnyfairplay). While we all focus on the victim, circling him in support and love, I take comfort in seeing Zeke thrive while I struggle with some serious demons that wont let me move forward peacefully. it was over I felt that suit of shame Id worn for more than four months begin wondering if they were even worthy of one. home, but he was later fired from his real estate job as backlash grew. Ive spoken to these people. Powered by. days in full-on justified attack mode. That will never be lost on me. I convinced myself the harsher the #Survivor.. More from Entertainment Tonight: http://bit.ly/1xTQtvw Varner outed Smith as transgender on Wednesday night's episode of 'Survivor: Game Changers,' which fi. December 31, 2023 Email: jvarnerin@bhtwp.com About Jeff Jeff and his wife Debbie have lived in town since 2007. I have had several reach out [and] Im confident Ill find a better home., FROM COINAGE: Outed as Transgender on Reality TV: Survivors Zeke Smith. Its a notion I would struggle with for months. I couldnt even imagine what was happening in his innermost thoughts and No pre-taped reunion will hide it. didnt choose. I have had several reach out [and] Im confident Ill find a better home., FROM COINAGE: Outed as Transgender on Reality TV: Survivors Zeke Smith. Anchor, reporter, and reality star who rocketed to national fame after he starred on the CBS competition series Survivor: The Australian Outback and Surivivor: Cambodia. A Twitter user responded to Varners tweet saying he shouldnt get to weigh in on the controversy, and Varner went off once again about the scandal. When you know what really goes on then you can tell me your opinion. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Dan Spilo competes on SURVIVOR: Island of the Idols.. Varner has been a fill-in host for Live with Regis and Kelly and also worked for many years as morning anchor at WWMT Channel 3 in Kalamazoo, MI before being promoted to main anchor. [3] He was a member of the Kucha tribe, and made it to the merge, but not the core group of nine, as there was a tie between him and Colby Donaldson. Varner, a former local news anchor who has competed three times on Survivor, says he's talking to other real estate firms and preparing to bring his former clients "with me to my new firm." Since. Although Powers did not make it into the season, Deitz and Wiglesworth did, and the two of them ended up with Varner on the same Ta Keo tribe. Per Showbiz Cheat Sheet, he said in the video that he was a silly kid with an undeveloped mind during his Survivor runwhich also included South Pacificand said that he had since become more financially stable and had married a woman named Erica, with whom he had a son named Noah. anticipated. In the real estate world, buyers and sellers want to know theyre signing up with a company that wont dump them or turn their backs on them in time of trial. I can only profusely apologize. Cant have that on a live mic. preventing you from growth. worthy of love. sight, had to begin with me. Many Just me and my During that time, he said hes done a lot of growing. I know what really happened and leaving the viewer with the impression Dan has molested someone on production is bullshit. From medication to meditation, I spent the next several Dave Quinn is an Editor for PEOPLE, working across a number of verticals including the Entertainment, Lifestyle and News teams. worthless, I grew more convinced we were building to a version of me no one I will never make an excuse for it. The live finale of Survivor: Game Changers airs Wednesday, May 24 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS. moment would be broadcast for all to see. from elimination. I forgive him for that. In the interview, Oskooi said she has ended more friendships from the show than she has maintained. They love Dan. Cowards., Jeff is no stranger to Survivor controversy. Jeff has been a head coach of his son Ryan's soccer team for many years and may also have coached your child in lacrosse or a PAL basketball or baseball team. On May 6, 2015, Varner was revealed to be one of the 16 men who was eligible to be voted by the viewers to return for the 31st season, Survivor: Cambodia. I have met with and spoken to several LGBT organizations Ive joined the board of a couple of them this has changed me drastically.. It came from all directions, tearing down the walls Id spent Keep up with your favorite shows delivered to your inbox! I forgive him for that.