You might be climbing 100-foot ladders, pushing through a crawlspace, and managing other crowded spaces. Solution: Add a subpanel with a few extra slots ($250), or, if you're planning major home improvements, replace the existing panel with a larger model ($500 to $800). Some electricians have to traverse dark basements, crawl through the bowels of buildings, or even climb 100-foot ladders. While this is true for many the days can be surprisingly long when we count up the hours. And you will hear this too many times.." Oh you're an electrician? That means millions of workers have to choose between working more than their job descriptions or looking like slackers. I've spent the past 5 years chasing this apprenticeship to finally see that it's not for me and it has me freaking out that I'm too late to choose something different. Some of their most common job duties include: Developing cost estimates. There are union and non-union choices in most communities, but both of them require up to 10,000 hours of on-site training and experience before youll receive clearance to work independently. Construction work may require you to spend time outside in the heat and weather. Additionally, you can reach out to someone at a trade and vocational school to ask them about theelectrical technician training programs they have to offer. That can become a significant income improvement over an entire year. If you love the idea of being able to do something new every day, then this career choice might be perfect for you. Most jurisdictions require that you take a test that indicates you can safely perform jobs in this industry. Copyright 2022 - 2023 Star Language Blog -. 1. The program will also offer more incentives to help new entrants kickstart their careers. My background is raised by single mom with the standard mom and dad divorce fighting and putting the child in the middle. Also it depends on how far you want to take it and what areas you would considerSure if you stick to domestic then you may find it does not pay as much as some other trades or seemingly less skilled jobs out there do. Being an electrician might be a great option for you. Electricians are licensed contractors, so get ready for schooling and exams for your license. As you can see, electricians are the unsung heroes of the construction industry. Constant regulation changes. Environmental conditions. They are probably not very good then lol! Pay? Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. It consists of a lot of erection. CrummyWombat 1 yr. ago. link to Electrician Tool List | 15 Essential Tools We Use Daily (With Photos). Why I quit being an electrician, where do I begin? This is the statement from my ex-colleague that started the post and I think we have shown there are definitely some negatives to the job. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. You might also decide to start your own electrical business, which could be even more lucrative than working for someone else. 9. With a birthday approaching, I'm reliably informed that choosing gifts for men is hard, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. My initial reaction is to go and attempt to fall into my passion, Fly- Fishing, and become a guide or even just work in a shop in a town where rent isn't outrageous. This advantage receives reinforcement because most apprenticeship programs are under the supervision of experienced electricians. Is Being an Electrician Hard on the Body? Putting a new light fixture in a home is a fairly mundane task. Some electricians have a flexible work routine or fixed working hours, giving them adequate time to rest and relax during the weekends and . Youll be doing all of these tasks while up a ladder or in a basket. Reddit's International Electrical Worker Community Ever since I can remember, I've dreamt of being my own boss. Talk shop, show off pictures of your work, and ask code related questions. Most people think of tradesmen as having a lovely day job, always starting the day early but getting to arrive home early. How to Choose the Right Construction Management Software? 1. Another sign of bad company culture is excessive red tape and bureaucracy. You have to ask yourself who these people are that are saying it's dead out there, and why they are saying it? 8. And at that point, you shouldnt have any trouble finding work as an electrician. 4. This is just one case out of few others and because of all this, I'm now under stress everytime my boss sends me to do something, because even at the smallest mistake, he will start going crazy and blame me for everything. There are many people who dont realize just how rewarding it can be to play the part of an electrician in a community. These sites may have info on industry average wages, particularly if your fields a rarer one. Always tells me to learn from my mistakes. Take a look at some of the risks you should carefully consider below. There is a big reward for women who succeed in the field of electricians. Im all for the regulations changing (Amazon link to regs book) and making electrical installations safer for everyone. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I don't know if it's some kind of stubborn toddler mode activated by drinking but it feels like other people want me to be sober more than I want me to be sober. Recently the biggest problem I've had is with greasy employers coupled with the economy in western Canada being shit but when there's work I make money hand over fist. And the cost of living is rising, which makes it hard to justify working a long, stressful job. Your career is going to be in a highly-skilled trade where a variety of jobs are available each day. Make sure youre prepared for how physically demanding it can be. It can also be referred to as face down, a$s up working as this is the position you have to spend all day curled up in trying to fish wires under floorboards and through overcrowded loft spaces.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'sparkybase_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_5',126,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sparkybase_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); Make no mistake, house bashing is very hard work and takes a huge toll on electricians bodies. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you. Those looking to avoid student loan debt at all costs should consider a trade school job like being an electrician. In particular, younger workers are disproportionately represented in the field. 6. As an apprentice,you probably wont be forced to do a lot of dangerous jobs. I can understand why some electricians quit, but all being well Im definitely not going to be one of these for the foreseeable future. Most electricians operate a business (including independent contractors) with liability insurance and a surety bond because of the risk for errors. But the rewards ofbeing an electrician far outweigh the risks and make it worthwhile.  , This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members. But once you reach the ages of 40, 45, 50, and higher, youre not going to be able to move around the same way you used to. So I was in the process of looking into a career change. Associates in Applied Science: Substance Use Disorder Counseling, Business Office Administration Program Office Admin Training, InterCoast Colleges, a private institution, was granted institutional approval to operate by the. I am the youngest guy in the group, next older than me has 20 years of experience as electrician. If no one helps you up every step of the ladder, you quit that job and find another one. Help your fellow Redditors crack the electrical code. 10 #10: The Sedentary Situation. The government is also introducing a slew of new training programs. - Have reliable transportation to school and job sites. The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network is an effective albeit expensive mnemonic device that promises to improve the lives of apprentices by providing personalized training and support services. Growing up I got into partying and drugs and kissed school good bye, at the age of 21 I was tired of working fast food gigs and decided to jump into the Electrical field. New electrician struggling. 1.4 Many Career Paths to Explore. Just remember to take care of your body. You dont earn as much as a fully licensed electrician, but the wages are better than what youd get at McDonalds or delivering pizzas. You can also get help from your friends or coworkers. The top-paying states for electricians are largely concentrated in the midwest, with the highest-paying state being Alaska. Always tells me to learn from my mistakes. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The Bureau of Labor Statistics also predicts that the demand for qualified electricians will explode in the next ten years. Despite the great benefits and rewards of being an electrician, there are also some . I was fortunate to work pretty steady for my 31 years. Why not to become an electrician. Construction turned me into such a negative, toxic person, I couldn't take it anymore and I quit. That is what this video is about. A state with stricter rules could mean higher costs of living. It creates the opportunity to do so cash jobs. You would receive an assignment in this circumstance that lets you get some hands-on experiences at a local employer As you complete the program and get through the required classes, some institutions will award credits that can be used toward a 2-year or 4-year degree in a related field. You will also receive full exposure to the elements while youre working. Regulation changes was a common reason for quitting from older electricians we spoke to who were approaching retirement age. Once you work your way through anelectrical technician training program and serve as an apprentice, youll become a full-fledged electrician. Can you do this, this and this? Those in your community are going to depend on you to help them with all their electrical needs. The past 6 months I have worked ridiculous hours and I've came to the conclusion that there's more than life than being okay with hating your job just because it supplies your wants. It's different now. While the job duties an electrical engineer performs may vary depending on the types of projects they work on, there are some basic tasks you can expect to perform in this role. You will make the lives of others better, and even . I'm considering being an electrician, but can foresee much body pain in the future if I'm in the wrong profession. Believe it or not, electricians can actually work very long hours. But i have been in domestic field for while now and have always enjoyed it.And it also depends on your lifestyle. You can start your own electrical repair company up. Classes are starting soon, so dont delay! There are times when working as an electrician can let you enjoy a beautiful day outside. You can help out your family and friends. It is also a sign of responsibility and commitment to the organization. Youdo need totake classes at a trade and vocational school before becoming anelectrician. Sorry for all the questions I'm just generally curious. If youre working with a shoestring budget, then having $5,000 or more available to spend on needed supplies for an apprenticeship might not be feasible. Luckily, most electrical issues . They can speak with you more about the costs associated with these programs as well as what youll learn during them. House bashing. Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends. Workers are expected to perform above and beyond their job descriptions. 1 Pros of Being an Electrician. It also boasts a high unionization rate, which makes it one of the best places to be for an electrician. Step 1: Electrician Education Requirements. Next, what a lighting technicians wire up any kind of shows . Write CSS OR LESS and hit save. Having worked as an electrician for over ten years, I can honestly say that Ive learned a lot about the industry. Most of the colleagues are great, but because of our electrician boss, I started hating every second of this job. CDC analyzed data from 2004 to 2010 to determine the age-adjusted prevalence of cigarette smoking among working adults. 2 Cons of Being an Electrician. There are many reasons why becoming an electrician is a good idea. What's being an electrician like on the body long-term? Kid's Personalised Winter High Viz Safety Vests, Case Study: A common UK Light Switch used to Remote Control Outdoor Lighting, Bootlace ferrules French or German colours, Best/ most useful charge points on the market, 2 way & intermediate pir is there such a beast. There are problems to solve, situations to troubleshoot, and challenges to conquer with every assignment. But once they start working as an electrician on a regular basis, they get to see first-hand how much of an impact they can actually make in their city or town. Most people need between four to five years to graduate from this learning process. An apprenticeship program pays you as you start learning. Why don't I want to quit? A mixture of my varied academic background and years of work experience enabled me to not only gain strong and . Youll have to pay your dues before eventually becoming a real electrician one day. Experience also allows electricians to handle construction and maintenance work. With days passing by and my brain finally having time to sit down and rationally think, school keeps coming up.. Instead, there are electrical technician training programs you can sign up for which will teach you what you need to know to start your electrician career. In fact, the Women in Trade (WiT) industry represents more than 9.5% of the national electrical contracting workforce. It is not uncommon to start at 7 am each day and not finish till 5 or 6 pm. Wish you a good day! But you will get saddled with many of the jobs the more experienced electricians dont want to do. And after high school I did a couple of years in college in the electrical tech program. The job responsibilities are not usually so dangerous that fatal accidents are common, but it is possible when working on transmission lines or high-voltage projects. Workers fear being labeled slackers or unable to advance in their careers. 8. The Rewards of Being an Electrician. Some colleges and universities offer electrician apprenticeships as part of their curriculum. As long as there is a need for electricity, then there will be excellent employment opportunities for electricians. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Work culture is also a cause of stress and burnout. Privacy Policy. If you do not feel like going to college is the right choice for your life, then pursuing an electrician career is a good-paying option to consider. You will find some awkward positions awaiting your arrival at almost any job site. By clicking the request info button, I understand that Penn Foster may call and/or text me about educational services and for related purposes at the phone number provided, including a wireless number, using automated technology. Itll allow them to start their careers without worrying about paying off a pile of student loan bills. These will all contribute to the cost of living as an electrician. so that everyone can know this useful information. Youll encounter that option as a self-employed electrician when you need to take a sick day or you want to plan a vacation. You will want to speak with your union or the provider of the training program about this disadvantage to see how it might apply in your specific situation. I'm 19 atm. The assignments you complete are sometimes physically demanding, and you may find yourself completing tasks in situations that are potentially dangerous. 7 #7: The Looming Legacy. Answer (1 of 2): ! One of the most appealing reasons to become an electrician would be to own your own office on wheels this is where you can have business meetings with employees, keep your old sandwiches you decided to swap for fast food, newspapers and dirty old boots this is away from prying eyes which you can call your bachelors escape . If an electrician is unable to change career path and head towards more commercial work or an easier maintenance sparky life they can decide to quit completely and hunt for a less physical office-based job. Working as an electrician isnot a normal 9-to-5 job. You Wont Rack Up a Mountain of Student Loan Debt, 2. 1.1 A Degree is Not Compulsory. There will be some costs associated with enrolling yourself in anelectrical technician training program if you decide to do it. Customers with mobile phones ring at all hours of the day and night to state that their job is the most important one on the electricians list. This career option is considered recession-proof since youre providing a service that everyone needs. 31 years is a long time! The company the apprentice works for and the electricians they are paired up to work with and learn from have a huge effect on the standard of training they receive and their enjoyment of the job. As you can see, working as an electrician can be a risky business. But still, its a reminder that working as an electrician can bea very dangerous job. Nobody believed me when I told them that it's not my fault since I didn't even started to connect the wires. Long story short, there was one bad connector and even the light tap or vibration would cause it to loose contact and machine to turn off. We are compensated for referring traffic and business to Amazon and other companies linked to on this site. The median pay for an electrician in the United States is about $50,000 per year.