Stubborn lines that would be impossible to erase with traditional paper, pencils, and erasers suddenly disappear on a digital art canvas with Procreates eraser. George Morrison is considered one of the most important modernist artists, yet few people know his name or story. This allows me to get close to the edge but not right at the edge of what I am erasing. The manual way to erase one color in Procreate is to select your desired eraser brush and carefully erase the borders of an elementin this case, a flipper. The first method you can use to undo your eraser strokes is to simply tap on the screen with two fingers namely your index and middle fingers. You've been notified by email. Click the minus button to delete it again. The Collage Erasers for Procreate pack comes with 17 eraser-specific brushes. A to Z of Procreate: Tips, Tricks, and Hacks! Frida Kahlo is one of the most prominent Mexican painters whose works have shaped modern culture and inspired many worldwide. Go to Settings > Apple Pencil > Switch Between Current Tool and Eraser. Some are very obvious to use, while others are somewhat hidden. You can choose anything from a simple painting brush to a fun textured one. Basics. Palm support is otherwise known as palm rejection. Even though using the tool is relatively straightforward, some tips and tricks can help you be more efficient and effective in using the Procreate eraser tool. The color disappeared in the blink of an eye. Then I will erase pixel by pixel. If you have a gesture control set to enable your eraser whenever you touch your iPad screen, you might be enabling your eraser way more than you intend to.Check your gesture controls to make sure you dont have any set for the eraser. This allows me to get close to what I need to erase and make clean lines. I also love to blog about anything to do with art, business, Procreate, and all the wonderful artists that inspire me. If you need a more precise edge, I will make my Procreate canvas very large until I see the pixels or boxes. You can do many things like resizing, inverting colors, color filling, and more. Photoshop works just fine, and I can use everything else normally in flash like clicking on buttons and stuff. literally logged in to say this. Business, Economics, and Finance. Method #2: How to Erase in Procreate Using the Same Brush Let's say you're creating an art piece with a watercolor brush. If your Procreate brush keeps switching to the eraser and you have an Apple Pencil 2, make sure that you dont have the double tap feature enabled. Given that Procreates eraser can be paired with any Procreate brush, it can give you more possibilities to seek out Procreate brushes that you specifically envision using with your eraser. For this example, we used a Wet Sponge brush. In my tablet driver settings I simply clicked a button called "Switch brush" as one of my short cuts and it went back to normal. Now we'll start erasing the flippers with our eraser in Procreate. This is for community Help & Support - seek answers, share solutions, and help others. All of a sudden my brush tool displays an eraser icon and I can't draw anything. Make sure you dont have a Gesture Control assigned to the eraser. You can create some amazing effects from drawing textures overtop of your lettering pieces and illustrations. This gives me clean and crisp lines. I have a whole new appreciation for the eraser tool and how some simple techniques can make such beautiful art. Privacy Policy. How to Create Inking and Comic Brushes for Procreate. I use Huion not Wacom, and I don't use any custom settings other than express buttons on my pen. Luckily, Apple Pencil tips wont break the bank and could very well be an easy fix to your erasing issues. Learning how to erase one color in Procreate is not difficult, but it requires some precision. This subreddit is a community about using the Procreate app, learning from each other, drawing, lettering, and other miscellaneous usages of it. I loved the little Procreate tips thrown in as well. If you want to sample a color value, tap the square outline icon on the left menu bar to bring up your color picker. These techniques are great for meditative art and zen doodling too. Now drop the color into the white spot. If you have contents on layers positioned beneath the layer youre currently erasing then those layers should show through. {{ timeAgoMini(notificationsBanner.notifications[0].created) }}, {{ removeOrphan(alertData().options.description) }}, {{ removeOrphan(popoverData().options.description) }}, {{ showSearchHistory ? Also, some of the gesture controls are easy to activate on accident, like touching your screen, for example. Its not piece specific. Tap anywhere in your background color now. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. In this section, we'll be using the Selection tool and our 3D aquatic objects. Read affiliate disclosure here. Start To Erase the Larger Areas First. Its much easier to export image to my laptop and change to grayscale there or on any photo editor. GameStop Moderna Pfizer Johnson & Johnson AstraZeneca Walgreens Best Buy Novavax SpaceX Tesla. Despite the fact that they both function in a way that is fundamentally How To Create A Multi Page PDF with Inkscape. Near the bottom, youll see a Gesture controls button. Tedious technical explanation: Flat brush uses the light glaze rendering mode. Next youll want to check your hardware to make sure that everything is up to date and working well. One of the most important aspects of knowing how to erase in Procreate is setting the size of the eraser and its opacity as well. Using Procreates eraser is like digital art magic. How to Make a Watercolor Brush in Procreate. Crypto This way, you'll save time switching between brushes and selecting the right one. But, if it starts running low on juice, youll know. Using the Procreate Undo Feature After Closing a Design. Trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Once your settings are in place, all you have to do to erase in Procreate is simply tap and swipe, the same way you would with any other brush:In this demonstration the background layers visibility is turned off, meaning the black workspace will show through the erased areas. 5. What One Should An Artist Learn? If you have no other layers beneath the target layer then the background color should show through. Within the gesture controls menu, choose the Erase menu. This post may contain affiliate links. It also comes with bonus color palettes, color swatches, and golden ratio grids. Sometimes, simply knowing that a double tap on the Apple Pencil barrel switches your brush to the eraser is enough to fix it. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. {{ isGridTwo() ? Ill show you how to do this below! Once youre conscious of it, its easier to control. We'll use some 3D aquatic objects from Envato Elements for this quick tutorial. Well dive into this more when we talk about using your Procreate eraser strategically. What One Should An Artist Learn. Lets go over how you can quickly correct these mistakes. The eraser tool in Procreate is located at the top left-hand side of the app. Each design program has its own set of features. Diana has experience selling her art across a number of platforms and loves helping other artists learn how to make money from their art as well. For this tutorial, we'll use the Medium Hard Blend Brush. For my own workflow, I find it easy enough to tap the eraser icon that I dont find the gesture controls convenient enough for this specific Procreate function. In this section, we'll be using the, Congratulations! When I turn on the layer it erases pink I don't know why, it does not erase white. On the outset, using Procreates eraser seems straightforward. Having the ability to erase parts of your image is a fundamental task for any image editing software, and Procreate does not disappoint in this regard. Ta-da! To save time, it is recommended that you erase out the edges of your subject with a small, fine brush first, then erase out the large fill areas with a larger brush afterwards. Apple Pencils that are about to die can do some wonky things. This is really nice if youre erasing a lot because you dont have to choose your brush every single time. Trust me, nothing squashes a good creative session faster than being left without a functioning Apple Pencil. Procreate is a powerful design software and the eraser is more complicated than the pink square of rubber were used to. Whenever youre using the eraser to erase in Procreate, chances are youre going to slip up and erase something you didnt intend to. In the tutorial video the brush I used is the. Before we start, double-check that you're working on the layer with your elements and the background color. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'anitalouiseart_com-leader-2','ezslot_12',107,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-anitalouiseart_com-leader-2-0'); I love this as it gives me confidence that I will not ruin my work and can go back to where I was before if I make a mistake. Procreate has a very advanced and easy eraser tool that you can use to erase when using the Procreate app. Make sure your Apple Pencil is charged. As you change these properties, a dialog menu will populate with a preview of the changes. This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. We're a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Eraser tool doesn't work. That trusty kneaded eraser or rubber eraser can become any number of shapes and types in the digital world of Procreate. I also love using the eraser with the zoom function. For complete step-by-step instructions, it is recommended that you watch the video tutorial. I ended up turning it on some how without know how to switch back. This function also works with the opacity slider. He enjoys coffee, lo-fi music playlists, and cooking recipes from TikTok. One option: You can use the magic wand tool to select all the white areas (you have to de-select the "Cont iguous" checkbox in the tools options at the top of the window). Procreate is an iOS app for the iPad family, and Procreate pocket for the iPhone. For this type of photo editing it is recommended that you use a hard brush. 3. If youre used to using traditional materials, its easy to think about the eraser in the way you always have. Choose the action that feels most natural to your iPad use and workflow so that you can access the eraser as quickly and easily as possible. Guide To Frida Kahlo Self-Portraits Paintings And Why They Are Important. This is REALLY easy to do on accident and can become a huge problem if youre not aware of it. This color change means the background has been selected correctly, so now you're ready to do whatever you want to the background. Its getting really annoying. Remember that you can find many creative assets for Procreate on Envato Elements, such as backgrounds, stock photos, brushes, and more! And, as with undoing your strokes, the undo history will NOT be saved if you close Procreate or return to your Gallery, so make sure that youre happy with your erasing work before you make it permanent. I am an artist and a blogger. It's best to erase with the same brush you used to create the watercolor painting. If you have any questions or need clarification on anything covered in the lesson, simply leave a comment below. Required fields are marked *. The Procreate program is a fabulous computer program to lay out your artwork before painting on the canvas. Update Procreate and Your iPad. We sent you an email! Simply lower the opacity of the layer, and draw your elements with a fully opaque brush. This subreddit is not associated with Team Savage. I suggest buying a pack of them so that youre never left without one when you need it. If theres a size you want to save or be able to return to quickly, click the plus button that appears within the eraser sizing box. LogosByNick.com is an educational media platform for learning about graphic design software. If it is not blue, then the eraser function is not . It seems you have turned background off in the layers menu. Make sure you have the middle layer selected (it should be highlighted in blue) and then close out of the Layers menu. In this tutorial well be going over how to erase in Procreate by using the Eraser Tool and adjusting its settings to our needs. Thats just me. For every part of your art, consider the type of eraser brush that would be best. This is true for your drawing brushes as well. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. If you change to a new canvas that requires a different eraser brush, be mindful of changing it before you start erasing. The Color Palette Panel in Procreate is intuitive and easy to use. With the top layer selected/enabled, grab the Eraser and start erasing out areas the color youd like changed in your original image, revealing its new color beneath it: All you have to so now is erase out the rest of the area and youre done! A lot of that has to do with using the sizing and opacity sliders to your advantage. You must also check your opacity settings when you use the eraser tool. You can also swipe on your canvas real quick to see if these settings are appropriate for your image. What should I do? Paint, Smudge and Erase are the essential tools of Procreate. The other way in which you can undo your eraser strokes is by simply tapping the Undo button in the UI, located just beneath the brush size and opacity sliders:The Undo button is on top; the Redo button is on the bottom. You can change the brush type, size, hardness and opacity. You can use any of your Procreate brushes with the eraser, so choose one that matches the effect youre looking for. For example, a finger touch cant activate the eraser and the copy and paste function at the same time. Repeat this process one more time so that you have three copies of the image layer to work with: As depicted in the screenshot above, use the Layers menu to turn off the visibility of the top and bottom layers, but leave the visibility of the middle layer enabled. One Christmas, I was Vietnam and I broke my ankle in a motorbike accident. You can use any of your Procreate brushes with your eraser. Never miss out on learning about the next big thing. If you have your opacity on 1%, the eraser does not use the eraser. If you have any questions or need clarification on any of the steps taken in this lesson, simply leave a comment below. Using the smudge tool, I can blend my eraser marks into my work and quickly achieve the lighter shadow I was looking for. OMG THANK YOU! In the event that youd like to use the eraser for a similar task, it is advised that you use a small, hard brush to erase around the edges first, and then use progressively larger brushes to erase around it afterwards. I dont want Procreate to constantly switch to the eraser when I accidentally touch my screen. Thank you. Adventures with Art is owned and operated by DCF Media LLC. Once your eraser is activated, youll be able to adjust its size and opacity using the sliders on the left-hand side of your screen. Don't worry though; there are easy fixes for all of your Procreate eraser problems. To erase in Procreate with the same Wet Sponge brush, just hold the Eraser tool icon until the message Erase with current brush comes up. Another great brush pack to use with the eraser is the Procreate Smudge Brushes pack. The Procreate eraser tool is a great tool to use. Can you open your Wacom driver software in your system preferences and check to see if you have any custom settings specific to Animate there? Whats going on and how do I fix it? Don't worry if this sounds confusingI'll show you how to erase in Procreate using this method. god!! Dont just set it and forget it. Switch Procreate to the Erase Function. In my tablet driver settings I simply clicked a button called "Switch brush" as one of my short cuts and it went back to normal. 1. The Apple Pencil 2 is an amazing tool, but some of its best features can be some of its biggest shortcomings if you dont know that they exist. It can be really frustrating to have a brush switch settings on you without your knowledge or consent. The 100% usually means that you want or need to erase a large area. Naturally, the brush tool is where brushes really shine and play a huge role, but by limiting our thinking of Procreate brushes to the territory of the brush tool, were really missing out on a lot of opportunities. At the bottom of the screen you will see a menu divided up into three parts: For this lesson we will be focusing exclusively on the Hue section and leaving the other two properties as they are. After I have erased the larger areas, I will erase the areas using a medium-size eraser. When you click on the eraser tool, it will turn to be a blue color then you will know that the eraser function is now turned on. Take time to experiment and explore. To disable Procreates palm support: 3. This tool is pivotal for your success as a designer. But, not for the reasons you think. If you like the brush your using and want to smudge it use the smudge tool if you want to move the paint but not erase it. In addition to tapping the eraser icon, theres another option for activating the eraser. On the other hand, an eraser paired with an airbrush is great for shading and soft erasing. One of the coolest things about Procreate is that you'll only need to set up a custom canvas once! Yep. byclicking here. On the left-hand side of your screen you will see two sliders one for the brushs Size, and the other for its Opacity:The Size slider is on top; the Opacity slider is beneath it. A lot of software updates are developed to fix bugs. Your email address will not be published. I personally use a small eraser ALL the time to create fur and whiskers. Here are the steps to erase a background on a photo in Procreate: Crop the Image. If your Zoom is on, it can cause issues with your eraser. Once you are finished you can merge the top two layers together. I just saved the thing I was working on, closed the app and when I opened it everything was fine :DD, Omg same!!! If you double tap on the bottom portion of the barrel of the Apple Pencil 2, youll enable the eraser. Tap on the Eraser Tool Go to the icon at the top right of the toolbar that looks like an eraser. Sometimes, it can become confusing for some people; you need to be careful what your eraser is when working with the eraser tool. By randomly pressing them I figured out that if you hold down the top one for a moment then it diables this annoying setting. If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you any time. Now, drawing in the digital age requires complex tools like iPads, Apple Pencils, and programs like Procreate. You can double-tap with two fingers on your iPad screen, and it will undo what you have done. Run your finger over your Apple Pencil tip and make sure it isnt frayed or worn down. 02. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'anitalouiseart_com-box-3','ezslot_6',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-anitalouiseart_com-box-3-0');Procreate is an excellent tool for all artists to know about and help them with their art. Its between the smudge tool and the Layers panel. Next, click on the preferences button. Were going to talk about the basics of using Procreates eraser. Almost strangled myself with frustration lol thank you. : 'Thanks for being a part of our original community!' My XP-PEN was working fine and then all of a sudden the pen turned into an eraser. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic. How to make an ad for Adwords in Animate CC? To erase, tap the pencil where the graphic in the setting shows, then engage with the area you want to erase and you should be able to erase. The main difference being that when erasing you are deleting pixels, whereas with painting and drawing you are adding pixels. For this example, we used a, How to Erase One Color in Procreate Using the Selection Tool, We've reached the final step in learning how to use an eraser in Procreate. As for the opacity slider, I use it a lot if I dont want harsh eraser lines. Simple tap on the line and your eraser will snap to it. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. If youre working on a piece of art and know you already have the correct brush selected for your eraser, you dont need to double check it every time you use your eraser. Remember that any brush you have in your brush library can be paired with the eraser, which gives you SO many opportunities. The third layer, on the bottom, is a copy of the original in case you need it. Now You Know How to Erase in Procreate, Remember that you can find many creative assets for Procreate on. You sit down with your iPad to do some drawing with Procreate when you realize the eraser is acting up. Then, activate the original image layer and manually erase out the color that youd like to change using the Eraser tool. If that doesn't work restart your computer. top brush packs to use for blending in Procreate. All rights reserved. Its what lets you rest your hand on your iPad canvas without drawing all over it. link to Where Can I See George Morrison, Native American Modernism Paintings? Here are other tips to try. To erase one color in Procreate, we'll explore methods 3 and 4. Make sure that your Zoom is off. If your iPad and/or Apple Pencil are damaged, they probably wont work very well. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); Affinity Designer VS Illustrator | Everything You Need To Know In 2023. Anyone know how to fix this? I know this is some type of toggleable shortcut/feature because I use to use it a long time ago instead of ctrl z. 1. The eraser tool is the eraser icon between the brush size opacity tool and the layering. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Scan this QR code to download the app now. Make sure that everything is up to date and that you dont have an outdated software issue going on. Check for physical issues with your devices. If you were working on multiple layers, you must remember that to erase in Procreate; you must be on the correct layer. Yes, its easy to forget that the Apple Pencil 2 has an automatic eraser function. Now drop the color into the white spot. Most of the time you can go past the lines and be alright, but for some shades it wont work as well. Youll also want to see if your Apple Pencil tip is ready for a replacement. Dianas latest obsession is digitally drawing with Procreate and creating t-shirt designs with Canva. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. If your Procreate brush keeps switching to the eraser, or you cant access the eraser at all, the first thing you want to check is your Apple Pencil settings within your iPad and within Procreate. Scroll to the Zoom button and click on it. 'Thanks for being a part of our original community!' It doesnt matter what you choose for your brush size but make sure your opacity is at 100%. You can undo your eraser marks with a two-finger tap and redo them with a three-finger tap. So the first step in erasing in Procreate is to crop as much of the background you do not need so that you have less to erase with Procreate. First, go to the Eraser tool, located at the top-right corner of your screen. If youre used to traditional materials, it might take some time and practice to get used to having so many erasers available to you. Check to make sure the background layer is turned on! You can also toggle the visibility of the top layer off and on to see how the new color looks compared to the old color. Dianas latest obsession is digitally drawing with Procreate and creating t-shirt designs with Canva. Hi, I am Anita Louise Hummel. The sizes will go from 1% to 100%. To fill the white spot made by the Procreate eraser, drag the Color Picker button with your pencil. #ArtThatMakesYouSmile, link to Guide To Frida Kahlo Self-Portraits Paintings And Why They Are Important. It is fan-run. I also have xp pen, and I figured it out! Subscribe below and well send you a weekly email summary of all new Design & Illustration tutorials. If it is not blue, then the eraser function is not yet turned on. I have gone into the penTabletSetting and everything looks normal. I also have an xp pen, too and your comment just fixed it, THANK YOU! Let's examine this in more detail. Select a brush from the Brush Library You can choose anything from a simple painting brush to a fun textured one. So, when you switch to the eraser, it will be equipped with the same brush, size, and opacity as it was when you used it last. didn't work for me on Mac Big Sur and XP-Pen. Jan 20, 2019 4:32 PM in response to Steven0715. 30+ Best Procreate Tutorials for Beginners and Advanced! But, when I switch over to shading my work, I switch my eraser brush to the airbrush. Thanks, but Good Lord, why didnt Procreate simply add a grayscale or monochromatic mode? We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Diana has been an artist for over 26 years and has training in drawing, painting, digital drawing and graphic design. Depending on what I am erasing, I will bring my eraser setting between 30 to 60%. Keep in mind that you cant have multiple features controlled by the same function. I also like how small the smallest 1% size of this brush is, which allows me to make fine details. Gesture controls are a really neat way to have more freedom with how you access Procreates features. Next, click on the preferences button. By the end of this lesson you will have added an essential photo editing skill to your arsenal. We often think of Procreate brushes in the context of the brush tool. It works but you also need to go the Pen Table Settings and disable that button if you want not to bother about it anymore. 1 Correct answer. After I have erased closer to the edge, I will bring my eraser down to about 10% to 30% and start eroding very near the edge. Try charging your Apple Pencil and see if it starts erasing properly again. Open the Layers menu, slide the image layer to the left and select Duplicate. That said, youll want to check that youre using the right brush with your eraser. 1 Correct answer. For this step, use a small brush size, and be careful not to go over the edges of your element. I use a lot of gold and silver leaf in my paintings. you are a really life savior, i was having a hard time trying to figure it out, i have to use photoshop to make an important and urgent project for work :'D, oh my goodness thank you so much for this, I was having the exact same issues and I had no idea how to solve it! This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. If you disable the visibility of the background layer then the black canvas should show through the erased areas, as depicted in the screenshot above. The great thing about Procreates gesture controls gives every artist the freedom to set things up as they need to! The better you can understand the types of Procreate brushes you want to pair with your Procreate eraser, the more creative freedom youll have to create the artwork youre dreaming of. For example, when Im creating whiskers and fur, I use the technical pen brush or studio pen brush with my eraser. Located on the top right of the interface, Paint, Smudge, and Erase all share the same Brush Library, and all work the same way. You can reach me, Anita, by clicking here. Copyright 2023 Adventures with Art and DCF Media LLC. Check out the Procreate Smudge Brushes pack here! Brush styles range from hard, soft, decorative, and you can even install third-party brushes if youd like. If you change to a brighter color background, you can always change it again once you have finished erasing.