4 Even though I walk Good people are going to perish. Clean Up Your Email. Youre not going to fond the truth any other way. . Witnesses, who also changed the Bible around to fit what they wanted to say, they created the NWT Bible. Thats why the bible says were should study to show ourselves approved. 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. Worship, then, refers to something very big and. Only the Bible is authoritative and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, as made clear in 2 Timothy 3:16. Jonathan Kotyk This should be emphasized whenever a preacher or teacher quotes from it, I believe. You cannot say that just because divination is used in human sacrifice, it is evil. Bibles are banned and those found in possession of one face imprisonment, torture and even death - as do up to three generations of their family. Instead, they must be kind and gentle and not love money. Matthew 3:7 Meaning lost: In Matt 3:7, John the Baptist challenges the sincerity of the Pharisees in requesting baptism and warns that they face God's wrath. Message Bible is completely an offline bible without requiring internet connection to study the scriptures. It's dangerous to build an opinion of the Bible through the lens of someone else's beliefs. 4 Even when walking through the dark valley of death I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me, guarding, guiding all the way. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Peterson's Approach Yields a Commentary. The Bible, and His word, are not evolving, they are static. In this article, we will discuss why it may be dangerous for ones understanding of the Christian faith and message. With verse markings (The Message: The Numbered Edition): This page was last edited on 2 March 2023, at 03:21. Gossip always distorts and exaggerates, and is never a reliable source of truth. I hope this list has been helpful and will steer you in the right direction as to which Bible translations are profitable for training you up in righteousness. 2. The Messages technique in translating the original text is so casual in its approach that NavPress, publisher of The Message, says, It's not meant to replace your current version of choice. The Message, a loose paraphrase of the Bible, is often treated as a translation. [3] Peterson notes that in the course of the project, he realized this was exactly what he had been doing in his thirty-five years as a pastor, "always looking for an English way to make the biblical text relevant to the conditions of the people". [3], The publisher states: "Peterson's work has been thoroughly reviewed by a team of recognized Old and New Testament scholars to ensure that it is accurate and faithful to the original languages. I remember feeling like a pariah with no support or friends in that church for some weeks. 2) When pastors preach from it, it encourages people to use it, this is dangerous because the Message is full of errors, false doctrine, and occult philosophy. The second most dangerous way to read the Bible is to let someone create preconceived notions for you. Hope youll give us another try and check out some other articles. A church that uses the Message, is a church that has let culture invade the Kingdom. Required fields are marked *. Our Father in heaven, Unjust people who don't care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. Help keep The Christian Post free for everyone by making a one-time donation today. [] He is asking them who directed them to flee from the wrath that is coming. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. We are called to be His examples, His disciples. If you desire the truth then and only then will it be reveiled. makes me feel secure. People dont see the name of the book. He asked his people to respect his grace in Numbers. And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it. I dont need a thing. Peterson's goal in creating The Message, in his own words, was to "bring the New Testament to life for two different types of people: those who hadn't read the Bible because it seemed too distant and irrelevant and those who had read the Bible so much that it had become 'old hat'." - is the Word of God? Rather, it is designed as a reading Bible that can give you a fresh perspective on a familiar phrase or passage.. 13 And lead us not into temptation, Favorites and Bookmarks for your favorite bible verses. Smoking cigarettes is a sin. Look for Part 2 of this article, where we will review the top 5 Bible translations to use. Cant find your booklet. 12 and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. Eugene Peterson has stayed true to the text and yet made it come alive for today's generation. It's called " The Passion Translation, " written by Brian Simmons of Stairway Ministries. One implies that the one being delivered is actually out there engaging the enemy (the devil), while the other gives more of a picture of holing up away from other people and not bothering to engage. He guides me along the right paths Its the first day. Then there is the line as above, so below, which is from the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus an occult text from the school of Hermeticism, that has influenced every aspect of the new age movement, from Asatru to Satanism to Wicca. Following is the first 2 of 9 points that demonstrate why Peterson's bible is not a translation or even a paraphrase. Especially when our own pastor prayed the Lords prayer in Peterson speak. same sex, homosexuality, trey pearson, everyday sunday, christian rock, love is love, back to school, anxiety, fear, college, worry, peace, Burning Scripture with Passion: A Review of The Psalms (The Passion Translation). First, the Bible is dangerous to ignore. One person stormed up to me and demanded that I send her no more emails. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, When I first began to object due to the occult phrases and New Age terminology of The Message, in addition to its distortions of scripture my concerns were discussed with the church minister behind closed doors. I admire your article and agree with the recommendation not to depend heavily on it alone. Doing so would be like saying that the fire used in the sacrifice is also evil. I believe that Gods people searchin n praying to Holy Spirit to guide us in understanding. The last words in the MESSage are enough to convince me this book is not for me. " MARGARET FEINBERG, AUTHOR OF FIGHT BACK WITH JOY "The Message is original and refreshing. . I am not alone. They read a passage of The Message that theyve written down or read it from an app on their cell phone. Youre in charge! Therefore My people go into exile for their lack of knowledge; Remember almost the entire word is deceived. Garbage. What The Message did to The Lords Prayer as you outlined here is startling all the revolutionary meaning has been sliced and diced away. To see additional comparisons other than what is listed below, visit Bible Gateway, where you can view parallel translations of this translation (and any of the other poor translations featured in this article) with the ESV (or any other reliable translation) side by side. I showed him the many websites that spring up connecting this phrase to Satanism and other forms of the occult. Peterson inserts his own dogma . ", In fact, you might even turn to your partner as you read the verses together and say, "That doesn't describe us! Not the way man tryed n break it down not like this This is wrong; it is not a translation it is a paraphrase, which makes it a commentary at best. Copies of it appeared on the bookshelf as people chucked it in. Like you, I too have had a past of far left and far right exposure politically and spiritually but these days I am where Jesus was Render unto Caesar what is Caesars and unto God what us Gods Follow the Great Commission. People come to God on their own terms, and if the Message helps them get to him, then its done its job. They attempt to validate their erroneous theological claims by editing the Bible as they see fit. Gossip always contributes to a problem and never to a solution. The result is a strongly sectarian translation that no longer counts as Scripture; by masquerading as a Bible it threatens to bind entire churches in thrall to a false god. The Passion Translation is even promoted by churches that share Simmons own theology (for example removing rebuking and correcting from 2 Timothy 4:2). It is a popular book to use in liberal churches that are more focused on creating social change than on Jesus Christ, His saving act on the cross and His resurrection from the dead. as above, so below. I gave the leaders and some church members paper copies of this resource. This is not a study Bible, but rather ""a reading Bible."" The verse numbers, which are not in the original documents, have been left out of the print version to facilitate easy and enjoyable reading. We love each other, and we're not using or abusing each other.". Jesus saying about having a generous eye probably refers to Gods blessing on those who are generous with their resources and time. Further the Message adds to the text (something forbidden by scripture) there is nothing in there speaking about any of Gods attributes at the end to the prayer, and I have no idea where he got that Yes. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? However, with a number of passages warning of the erosion of faith in the last days, theres a rather strong motive to contend for the faith by insisting on an accurate Bible (Jude 3). I think my actions sent out a shockwave in the spiritual realm. Translation is from one language to another. Set the world right; The shepherds and leaders are deceived. Reach out to [emailprotected] when you have time. Did you know there are over 450 translations of the Bible in the English language alone? 41,316 Views. Remove unnecessary links, images, and attachments. Would love to hear more. Yes, God did use the koine or common Greek dialect of the first century. your will be done, The gospel addresses all of life, both this life and the one to come. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. Bible translations will vary between these three categories and it is important to know which translation falls into which category, along with other attributes that will make the translation either a faithful representation of the original, infallible, and inerrant Word of God or a misleading book posing as a Bible. The latter error seems to me to be the more common danger in the church. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. Later, when I started dating a woman (now my wife) at the church, she was warned that I was at the centre of controversy. Contempt for it is contempt for the truth. 26 Comments It wasnt too long ago that we were stuck in this stagnant life of sin, but thankfully, God has given us a new life through Jesus Christ. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. HE speaks of things to steer clear of because they will more likely than not lead you to sin. Just want to point out that Matthew 6 commonly includes a footnote now where it used to continue the prayer. The purpose of those are the same as the Message, which is to make it more understandable to the reader. I've even cited The Messagein some of my academic, biblical commentary writing. The ESV reads: "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. The same applies to Tarot reading. God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss. Jews believed the temple in Jerusalem was the only proper place to worship God. However, the Holy Spirit has still moved newcomers to the congregation to hear the necessary elements of the Sword of Truth in their message, that leads them to surrender to His Divine Will. 12 And forgive us our debts, He is emphasizing how these same-sex acts are flatly contrary to God's design and also explaining how, historically, the human race was given over to idolatry and sin.). Here are five countries where owning a Bible is dangerous. I will fear no evil, Photo Credit: Unsplash/Tom Morel Read more through the darkest valley, they comfort me. Keep that in mind constantly and before searching for the truth, every single time dont forget You reject me therefore I will reject you, not only does satan deceive but also its God that blinds unbelievers, but will unblind if he chooses, so desire, ask Yahweh ( God) to remove your veil and guide you on your search for the truth and for the protection from satanic deception so youll not be deceived. The translators of the CEV prove their exegetical incompetence with confusing and illogical translations of verses, such as their handling of Acts 9:22. on earth as it is in heaven. Galatians 1:8 condemns in the most severe terms the one who changes the gospel message of salvation. Eugene Petersons translation of The Message removes this idea of worrying about paying for clothing and instead warns against vanity and attention to fancy clothing. It could also refer to sincerity; if ones eyes are windows into their soul, then having a sincere heart will be reflected in ones actions and words. Isaiah was born in 760 B.C. Keep pressing into the Lord! This mans interpretation is not always correct, nor is it always what the Spirit wants YOU to get from it. 4 Even when the way goes through The problem of fundamentalism requires that Bible interpretation be undertaken with great care and consensus, which may be difficult when cultural pressures promote the opposite. The scene in Oslo after Christian terrorist, Anders Breivik, struck. Your email address will not be published. 10 your kingdom come, Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don't qualify as citizens in God's kingdom. 2-3 He lets me rest in the meadow grass and leads me beside the quiet streams. The following article hopes to help you make more suitable choices and get more useful information ( Matthew 24:4-5) Modern language Bibles are the ESV, NIV, NASB, NKJV The Message is one mans ideas on what he thinks the scriptures say and not the actual word of God. The Revised Standard Version of the Bible was presented to the public as a completed . https://www.ebay.com/itm/115037693742 According to Psalm 138:2 God magnifies His Word above His name. A confused sheep relies more readily on the institution for support. 1:28-32). However, as a very free paraphrase, it is sometimes powerful and brilliant while at other times it is seriously off target. People at my church had seemingly fallen in love with The Message and I was chucking a big rock in their pool. That is where true salvation begins. We run to God to understand who he is n to lead us n trust in his word It depends, largely, on how you read it with what prejudices and with what intellectual background. The Message completely changes the meaning of the scriptures, for instance there is no mention of the holiness of the name of God. Keep us alive with three square meals. Your worldview is different. When he stated beauty, again, that is a synonym of glory. The following is a list of Bible translations that should be avoided for any real and faithful personal Bible study (in a separate article we will look at a list of Bible translations that are encouraged for use). I think we judge too harshly. Eventually and with prayer other people in the church started to get disquieted by The Message. Therefore, an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 9 "This, then, is how you should pray: document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Jonathan Kotyk is a student, self taught philosopher, recovering addict and born again Christian. Robert D. McFadden. Amen. This is clearly what Eugene Peterson is looking at, since otherwise the prayer should end after deliver us from evil, or as the paraphrase puts it (I hesitate to call it a paraphrase, since a true paraphrase keeps the original thought intact), keep us safe from ourselves and the devil. I would point out that theres a huge difference between deliverance and keeping safe. Taylors bias also leads to omitting text in key passages that do not fit his Arminian worldview, such as his deceptive repackaging of Acts 4:27-28, Acts 13:48, and Romans 8:28-29. Jesus referred to sinners as a brood of vipers to remind people that sin can be deceptive and hard to recognize, and that they should strive for righteousness if they want to avoid Gods punishment. The New International The following translations listed below should be avoided altogether, as utilizing them can lead to grave theological errors, the teaching of a radically different gospel, and a counterfeit Jesus. Blog, Bible Message / January 12, 2023 by Karen Correia / Leave a Comment. Song of Solomon: Most Amazing . Share your favorite bible verse with your friends.