At this point, hunting was growing to be a pastime for privileged individuals in England. do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers; post id: 7594742255. posted: 2023-03-01 15:26. A: The most expensive duck decoy was sold in 2014 for $690,000! Some factories also produced some notable vintage duck decoys in the 1900s. We understand that the purpose of this appraisal is to determine the fair market value of the antique, collectible, or artwork. In the early days, most carvers engraved their initials and date on the bottom of the decoy. Mowatt Lake Wallenpaupack, Pennsylvania, JM A.J. They sold decoys worldwide. Hence the price ranges will differ. Starting in the mid-19th century and going to the early-20th, the building and usage of painted, hollow, wooden, or solid decoys in the shape of ducks, shorebirds, and geese became a true fashion. Masterpiece Technologies Inc., its affiliates, and employees have the right to refuse to address any submission or part thereof at their discretion. Research as much as you can to learn the main subtle characteristics to look for in antique duck decoys. A pair of mallards by Richard Janson. Some of the master carvers of duck decoys such as Ben Schmidt, Joe Lincoln, Walter Ruppel, Adam Anger, Addie Nichol, Alain MacDonald, Albert Laing, Art Chilton, Babe Strubinger, Bert Graves, Reagan Bob Kerr, Bert Lang, Damos, Bill Enright, Bill Goenne, Barney Crandell and Shang Wheeler were craftsmen who hunted and came to understand the fowl that they hunted. Ronald is 100% a decoy/waterfowl maker. The wide range of products and prices is the most significant benefit. Still retains one original glass . Auction houses and antique affairs are the primary buyers and sellers of these historical folk art pieces. There are hundreds of valuable duck decoys worldwide. Valuable Antique Duck Decoys 1.The Crowell Bundle 2.The Eider Drake Decoy 3.The Merganser Hen Carving 4.The Wilson Drake Duck Decoy 5.Cobb Brant Mallard Duck Decoys 6.The Blaird Mallard decoy 7.Graves Mallard Decoys 8.Simple Wood Duck by Thomas Chambers Final Note The History Of Antique Duck Decoys Then you might be dealing with an antique. Of course, any digital camera will work too. During this period, it was more or less an art form practiced by adults and children alikesome carved duck decoys for commercial purposes. While a few make the markings on the wing side. Antique Duck decoys are as valuable as many other vintage and antique items. Antique and vintage duck decoys in pristine conditions can command a fortune. COLLECTION OF 8 VINTAGE HANDMADE DUCK DECOYS: COLLECTION OF 8 VINTAGE HANDMADE DUCK DECOYS: Working decoys To include 1) Pratt Decoy Co. canvasback, missing weight, 6 1/2'' high x 16'' long. He was renowned for his artistic vintage decoys that featured multiple intricate details. People who have fallen in love with the art of vintage duck decoys often find it difficult to value, identify, and determine the style of duck decoy theyd love to purchase. Hence the reason why most of them are sold for $100 or less. This piece is shrouded in a tone of mystery. Some may have metal tacks or nails for eyes. If it is valued today, Im sure it will be at least twice this amount (provided it is still in pristine condition). Not all of Blairs pieces are worth this much. In connection with my participation in the Activity, I hereby grant to Producer the right to take motion and still pictures of me and record my voice and any sounds made by me, and to obtain other information about me (and any third-parties appearing in the background, foreground or otherwise), including but not limited to name, likeness, photograph, voice, dialogue, sounds, biographical information, personal characteristics and other personal identification (collectively, the Footage and Materials), and to use the Footage and Materials in and in connection with the development, production, distribution and exploitation of the Program and any other production, and in the advertisements, merchandising, publicity, and promotions for the Program, any other production and for any entity that may sponsor, advertise in or exhibit in any manner the Program, the Footage and Materials, or any other production (the Advertisements). I know that Producer does not permit it and that it may be a federal offense not to tell Producer if I had. Secor Penetanguishene, Ontario, Bjerring Aage or AAGE1 or AAGE (pronouced ownit) Bjerring Long Island, NY, Blackhawk Enterprises Ted Himmelwright Edgerton, WI, Black River Decoys See David Moliterno Bio, Boone Bait Co., Inc. dons Baits Donald F. Boone & Joseph S. Showalter Winter Park, FL, Browns Fisheretto Brown Bros. Sam, Mike and Ed Brown Osakis, MN, Bru-Ell Mfg. MDCA Board of Directors. Decoy is hollow and as such very light showing some wear to the tips of the paint as well as a few shot marks. I understand and acknowledge that, while such conduct might otherwise constitute an actionable tort, I have freely and knowingly consented to such conduct. Bjerring Aage or AAGE1 or AAGE (pronouced ownit), burnedpocket Brad Newell,Welland,Ontario, Butch . This is our Online Appraisal agreement. Some makers are more renowned and talented than others. The primary materials were mud and carcasses to conjure the outlines of these creatures. For instance, the Mason Factory Wood Duckis one of the rarest unique models of wood decoy. The ideal alternative to antique duck decoys is vintage or contemporary carvers work if your budget is lower. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I represent and warrant that I gave nothing of value nor did I agree to give anything of value to anyone so I could be in the Program or the Advertisements. Carvers were making a few decoys of better quality with improved materials and more intricate designs for the wealthy. Compare the pictures in the book with your items and try to find similar models. The earliest models had only wooden features. Original by Albert Laing, Stratford, CT 1886", 14 Professional and expert collectors find it easy to identify markings and details on duck decoys because theyve had years to study these vintage items. In the mid-1900s, duck decoys were as scarce as ever and were regarded as collectible items of folk art. This is the complete and binding agreement between Producer and me, and it supersedes all prior understandings and communications, both oral and written, with respect to its subject matter. However, those repainted or repaired might not be as valuable as those in perfect condition. Also, upon request, we will offer suggestions for the sale of your collection that help honor and preserve the intent and efforts of the years of the collectors. Both carvers are renowned for their excellent accomplishments in the carving industry. Professional collectors recommend cleaning the antiques with a simple cloth. Huntsman here needed a huge variety of decoys for both individual and commercial use. So, it follows that if the ducks are different, then the decoys must be different too. A. Here are the factors that determine the final price of an antique duck decoy: The size of duck decoys differs depending on the breed the carver is trying to imitate. I understand that I will not be paid for participating in the Activity, for appearing in the Program, in the Advertisements, and in the Footage and Materials, for giving Producer the rights listed in this Agreement, or for Producers exercise of any and all of the rights listed in this Agreement. Some antique decoys may not be so valuable because a significant percentage of them have been repainted or parts have been replaced over the years . There are many different decoy species from geese to ducks, shorebirds, and many more. Produced decoys in the same style as Peterson and Dodge. Owned & Operated by Larrick Solutions 2000 - 2023 - All rights reserved. Passionate collectors know how to identify key markings, but those new in this domain might have struggles learning to recognize antique duck decoys. Become a Subscriber; Renew a Subscription; Give a Gift Subscription; . Actual functional decoys and examples that have beenused are sought after with collectors when compared withornamental carved decoy and related objects. Gus did not make hundreds of decoys like his counterparts, and the majority of the ones he carved did not possess the best beaks. Hand Carved Wooden Duck Decoy Glass Eyes Bluebill Magnum Sized Makers Mark Th Wow,,,, here Is A Very Nice Looking Hand Made Hand Painted With Glass Eyes Wooden Magnum Sized Blue Bill Duck Decoy. Decoy carving was a popular pastime for many, especially where lakes are plentiful. William Reinbold miniature wood duck decoy: Miniature Hand Carved and Painted Duck Decoy: EIGHT CARVED AND PAINTED MINIATURE DUCKS. Q: What duck decoys are worth the most money? If we agree to complete the Online Appraisal based on a digital image(s), we will prepare an appraisal report to include the following information: Artist/Maker, Title, Medium/Materials, Date/Time period, Description/Identification, Condition, Dimensions/Size, Expert Evaluation, Comparable Sales Record, Current Retail Appraised Value. Wilson Gordon H. Wilson Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, gilbertpaint Dave Gilbert Palmerton, PA, gitano Michael roy Mikko Cowdery Osakis, Minnesota, GK Glynn Kaste (Stan Kastes Father) Staples, MN, GM Keep Keep, Gerald Mel Hackensack, Minnesota, Gohn-Fishin Baits and Lures Matthew Pickens Witt, Illinois, Goodrich Bait Co. Dale Goodrich, Northwest Lower Michigan, Grand Daddy Bait Co Loon Lake Decoy Co. This information alerts you to locations where people have bought similar items like yours. Bluebill wooden duck decoy by Evans Decoy Factory. He began making handmade decoys in 1890 of cedar blocks with heads carved and finished by hand. This is our proposal for an Online Appraisal which includes actual sales records when agreed to by the client, It will constitute a binding agreement between Masterpiece Technologies Inc. (who represents Dr. Lori) and the client. This pulled in almost $500,000 in 2000. In fact, if you look closely, you can still see whittle marks, he said. Minnesota Decoy Collectors Association is the nations. He was born in 1825, and he began carving at a young age. NEW YORK Originally made to be functional, used in rigs by hunters to coax birds flying overhead into a safe landing, carved wooden bird decoys are now recognized as wonderful examples of folk art. . We know that it is much more enjoyable to look at old decoys on your mantel than a savings bond.