At 18, he was recognized as a driving new force in jazz and followed by world-renowned musicians. At 71 years old, Stanley Clarke height not available right now. Stanley Clarke is an American musician who is a member of the jazz fusion band Return to Forever. BIOGRAPHY; FOUNDATION; Bass Nation; MERCH; 0 Cart 0 items. All the people you mentioned, like Stewart Copeland, all those guys come down. Graeme Clarke is 6-0 (183 cm) tall. Find Stanley Clarke tour schedule, concert details, reviews and photos. He has three children (Chris and two stepchildren, Natasha and Frank). But it's something that combines a lot of different skills. The album The Stanley Clarke Band won the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Jazz Album at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards. And I remember the club owner kind of looking at us like this but let us go. His name was Ken Scott. This was my third album I did with this engineer. I loved it. Some of us listened to The Beatles. Stanley Clarke keeps his personal and love life private. Clarke has spent much of his career outside jazz. was recorded at Sunset Sound Studios and was released in 1985 by Sony. Clarke won the Downbeat Magazine's Reader's and Critics Polls in the category of Best Electric Bass Player for the last three years.An accomplished film and TV composer of over 65 projects, his credits include Boyz N The Hood, the Tina Turner biopic What's Love Got To Do With It, Romeo Must Die, The Transporter and Best Man Holiday. So as I got to hang out with Bayard more myself and a friend of mine named Darryl was a year younger than me. It's great. It has been very rewarding to offer scholarships to talented young musicians. Four-time Grammy Award Winner Stanley Clarke has attained "living legend" status during his over 40-year career as a bass virtuoso. Guitar Player Interview", "Stanley Clarke's 'Message' to All: I Can Still Jam with the Young Guys", "Stanley Clarke/Hiromi: The Stanley Clarke Band", "Stanley Clarke: Stanley Clarke Band: The Message album", "Bass monster Stanley Clarke picks his friends wisely to go 'Up', "Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Tickets - State Theatre of Ithaca - DSP - Ithaca, NY - March 25th, 2020", "Night School: An Evening with Stanley Clarke & Friends article @ All About Jazz", "Stanley Clarke: A Bass Man and His Upright Desires", "S.M.V. From the National Endowment for the Arts, this is Art Works, Im Josephine Reed. With a new group, The Stanley Clarke Band released the album The Stanley Clarke Band which won the 2011 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Jazz Album. And I just thought it was cool and I thought I looked better, you know, and my chances of talking to girls, you know, if I had this bass, it looked better than this acoustic bass, at least to me it did. You did lots of touring. But the point being is I was so happy after that. And once you understand that, man, the sky's the limit with that person. Clarke's latest records include The Toys of Men in 2007. And he looks at me in a heavy, heavy English accent he says, "The bass is never too loud." Theres so much to say about Stanley Clarke, its hard to know where to begin..hes played with jazz legends like Art Blakey, Horace Silver, and Stan Getzamong others. The label publishes his and other musicians work, as well as developing various projects related to music education. He teamed up with keyboardist George Duke in the 1980s, touring and recording together and scoring a top 20 pop hit, Sweet Baby. Clarke continued playing with a host of artists from various genres, from Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones to violinist Jean-Luc Ponty. That's kind of what distinguished Return To Forever. You're kidding." 1. One of your solo albums is "School Days" which was epic, both the album and the song itself was huge. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? Like this award means a lot because it's a I think it's is it one of the highest awards you can get as a jazz musician? Stanley Clarke: Well, it was great. The bassist then paired again with Copeland for two albums in the fusion project Animal Logic. Equipment - Clarke has always been very strongly associated with Alembic basses and the vast majority of his recorded output has been produced with one model of Alembic or another, particularly a dark-wood-colored custom bass in the Series I body style. The orchestra was there. Dating & Relationship status He is currently single. The album also features rapper/beatboxer Doug E. Fresh and trumpeter Mark Isham. Yeah, Lenny, Lenny's one of those musicians that like Chick, whatever he does, I know what he's going to do and vice versa. And, you know, you have to learn how to be able to, like, shine immediately like snap of a finger. So this guy sold a lot of accordions and gave lessons. So all three basses were never in one area at the same time, you know, that the speakers would start to have convulsions, you know, and just blow up. However, a gig at age 15 playing with saxophonist Byard Lancaster during a week of shows at the landmark Showboat Lounge solidified his passion for jazz. And he was a friend. He is best known for his work with the fusion band Return to Forever, and his role as a bandleader in several trios and ensembles. He was soon signed to Nemperor Records, co-founded by The Beatles manager, Brian Epstein. [24], Clarke joined fellow bassist Paul McCartney in 1981 to play bass on McCartney's 1982 & 1983 releases Tug of War[26] & Pipes of Peace. And so that's what I did. Just this is going to be honest." We had to provide sort of a click track for the orchestra so they'd be in synch with the picture. The two had met when Chick came to Philadelphia to sit in for a keyboard player in a band in which Stanley was playing. Stanley Clarke: So, well, there was a guy named Ron Moss who later managed Chick Corea. And I mean, everybody-- From Wayne Shorter, Lee Moore, all kinds of people went through his band. 30 June 1951 (age 71) Born In Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States Stanley Clarke (June 30, 1951) is an American jazz musician and composer known for his innovative and influential work on double bass and electric bass as well as for his numerous film and television scores. I really, really, really found something that I was going to do and I approached it very seriously. And what was nice about it was because it was one of those movies that I had never realized. I liked using him because his sounds were really sophisticated. Because it's a very uptone line, very happy. And if it comes in the form of an award, that's great. He was crazy. Jo Reed: And that was Return To Forever; but I would bet any amount of money you and Chick didn't sit down and say, "Hey, let's start a fusion band.". Return to ForeverDuring this period he joined the jazz fusion group Return to Forever led by pianist Chick Corea. [27][28][29], The Stanley Clarke Band is an American jazz band led by Clarke. I had started out in New York playing with Horace Silver then I played with Art Blakey and a few others and then eventually Stan Getz and then eventually I played with Joe Henderson. It's kind of like you're deciding to create life but in a parallel universe. . Like many famous people and celebrities, Stanley Clarke keeps his personal life private. You know, but when John got to shoot the movie, I understood the purpose of his scripts. Stanley Clarke: Well, "Pee Wee's Playhouse," well first of all, that show was an interesting show. Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. You scored a few films for him. I would have been daunted by it. He told me, "You know, you should listen to a lot of different types of music and not for the purpose of liking them." November 29, 1974 - 1993 (divorced, 1 child). For lead and solo playing, his fingers partially hook underneath the strings so that when released, the strings snap against the frets, producing a biting percussive attack. Once more details are available on who he is dating, we will update this section. Fact Check: We strive for accuracy and fairness. So you know, so I started writing the music from the script and then when the movie came, when the movie came to me, it was interesting taking some of that music and laying it up against the picture and I was surprised that a lot of it worked. In addition to leading his own band, Stanley remained enthused by the idea of exploring other musical possibilities with various artists. It was not something that we wanted to make a big deal about, me and the wife. . So then we did the second take and that was the song and I told the guys, "No, you don't fix. Stanley Clarke: Well, you know, awards in general mean a couple things to me. During the early 1980s, he toured with Corea and Return to Forever, then worked with Bobby Lyle, Eliane Elias, David Benoit and Michel Petrucciani. Clarke co-founded the seminal fusion group Return to Forever with Chick Corea and Lenny White. He recorded David Bowie albums. Harry Styles. Birth date: June 30, 1951 Birth place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Profession: Songwriter, Musician, Composer, Bassist, Film Score ComposerNationality: United States of AmericaMusic groups: Return to Forever, SMV, Animal LogicMovies: Night School. He is well-known for his leadership in a variety of trios and ensembles throughout his career. You know, when I try to explain that period to people, I have to be very specific. Stanley Clarke: Yeah. He toured in a band with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter in 1991. That had to have been interesting and kind of daunting. He first played the violin and cello before settling on the bass, attending the Settlement Music School, where his focus was on studying classical bass repertoire. ! https://t.co/y1tXcTdzpY; about 2 months ago Can't wait https://t.co . He also scored the Michael Jackson music video Remember the Time, directed by John Singleton. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing. It was during this period that he first met future bandmate and collaborator keyboardist Chick Corea while playing a show. Away from Return to Forever, Clarke continued to pursue his solo career and gained increasing acclaim for his fluid bass style, which found him moving away from the instrument's traditional rhythm section role and playing lead lines and improvising. You have to have a mathematical mind because you're dealing with picture and so maybe you have to write from here to here. The electric bass was kind of a second instrument to the acoustic bass. Clarke was playing a new kind of music, using new techniques, and giving the bass guitar a prominence it lacked. This band consisted of singer Flora Purim, her husband Airto Moreira (both Brazilians) on drums and percussion, Corea's longtime musical co-worker Joe Farrell on saxophone and flute, and Clarke on bass. He named it after the high school that he attended in the 1960s.