Been awhile but I remember it was pretty docile and despite having that short Hershey bar wing had a good glide ratio. All welding complete, Wing D Cell and al Components already cut, formed and ready for AFT section assembly. Fortunately this wasnt Floridas hottest day or the air shortage could have been uncomfortable. endobj Convert the TAS to Ft/Min, or the VS to knots, divide one into the other, and there's your glide ratio. Thats a foot wider than the standard Tornado. xVn7}[g Posted February 7, 2023, OAKTREE LANDSCAPE & DESIGN CONSULTANTS, LLC. Four-point seatbelts were appreciated. Dig around in the CAFE Foundation's website to learn more about all that they did. It only takes a minute to sign up. http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/12/accident-occurred-december-03-2017-near.html, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. Pros Landing visibility is outstanding; takeoff visibility is better than average in spite of steep climb angle potential with Rotax 912S. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. A pretty lean Bacon could carry a lightweight occupant or virtually all the baggage he cared to bring along. However, in an engine-out situation, the descent rate appears to be rather high. If you want more precision, do a timed descent using the altimeter instead of trying to discern the VSI. The angle at which an airplane glides is determined by the ratio of its weight to its drag, also called the lift over drag, or L/D, ratio. Excellent condition. Stopping the propeller can be a lifesaving procedure, but consider this advice: 5416432781 text, Telephone: On that French design, I didnt operate it correctly mostly due to lack of any indicator saying where it was set. 80- or 100-hp engine, wheel pants, streamlined gear legs, ballistic parachute, floats, instruments, hydraulic brakes, strobe lights, starter kit, quick-build kit. How to accurately test glide ratio in given configuration? It had a Jab engine and the little Dynon EFIS. Innensechskantschraube (konisch) Bolt Hergestellt aus widerstandfhigem Flugzeugtitan 6AL4V(Grad 5), welches folgende Vorteile bietet: - Abort 2. A black panel, though more commonplace and therefore less striking visually would reduce reflection and suit me better. Welcome to r/SpaceXLounge, the sister subreddit to r/SpaceX, and a place for Adverse yaw on this Tornado was interesting. On May 19, 2012, about 1600 central daylight time, a Dial David L, Titan Tornado II, single engine land airplane, N158TX, impacted terrain during initial climb after takeoff from a rural private airport near Checotah, Oklahoma. %PDF-1.3 Write for details. by theexternvoid Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:32 pm, Post These vary with speed, so the results are typically plotted on a 2-dimensional graph. Air pressures on the spade help the aileron do its job. by drseti Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 am, Post 313K subscribers in the SpaceXLounge community. Perhaps in an effort to economize interior room, Bacons throttle had a very short throw, such that when adding power the action is almost sudden. 973 It's not a fixed number and the 50:1 ratio will only be achieved at one speed. Naturally, if you deck out your Tornado as elegantly as Roger Bacon did, youll have more time The Titan Tornado 2 is designed to a +6g / -4g load limit capability at 1000 pounds gross weight. Fortunately, I didnt notice it too much while flying. The glide ratio is the distance a plane will glide divided by its altitude. Kit, partial, or complete build. stream That is one drawback to converting to E-LSA - it cannot be used for flight instruction (in an aircraft which that person provides) or rental. NEAT LAYOUT Roger Bacon did a quality job of using his panel space to accommodate a range of instruments in his Tornado 912. Stall recovery and characteristics; Dampening; Spiral stability; Adverse yaw qualities. List ByDanJohnson.com all LSA Services each one verified to have the airplane or expertise you seek. Therefore it can cover 250 miles before refueling. <>>> Precision turns to headings are very straightforward. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. This month we examine the fine work of Roger Bacon who created a lovely red-and-white Tornado II 912, powered by the 100-hp Rotax 912S 4-stroke powerplant expected to be commonplace on light-sport aircraft. For practical application, work out the distance covered per thousand feet of altitude and memorize that. 2006 Titan T-51 Mustang. Addresses the questions: Will a buyer get what he/she expects to buy, and did the designer/builder achieve the chosen goal?. Most aviation brakes lack the power were used to in autos, but neither are they as vital for normal operations. You will divide the run by the rise. The pilot was fatally injured. Maximum Glide Speed - 60 to 70 MPH Precautionary Landing with Engine Power - 60 MPH Landing without Engine Power - 60 MPH ENGINE FAILURES Engine Failure During Takeoff Run 1. Besides the fighter pilot styling of the plane, Bacon had his interior finished off with sound-deadening material. Thats the rear right rudder pedal just below the switch panel. and outstanding customer support, is sure to provide the Steering precision was good and the differential brakes were helpful and effective. Titan Tornado Glide Test 9,765 views Oct 13, 2012 This is the first part of a series of power off glide tests that I did with my Titan Tornado I, Rotax 503 power. For the Cessna Cardinal with flaps set at zero, the factor is 0.59/0.053=11.1 and with flaps set at 30, the factor is 0.75/0.089=8.43. Just get it stabilized and trimmed hands off in a glide in the configuration you want, in smooth air, engine idling, and note VS and TAS. Only a little movement was needed to move the control noticeably. However, despite the warmth inside the Tornado, I had to admire the detail that went into this particular model. . Hes had to send out some parts for repair or modifications, so it will be at least a couple of months before hes ready to fly it. Climb; Glide; Sink; Cruise/stall/max speeds; Endurance; Range; Maneuverability. >> Vertical Stabilizer is formed and ready for mounting. 3 blade Warp Drive prop w/tapered tips and nickel leading edge. Longitudinal stability proved very good in all tests. Use MathJax to format equations. Rear seat entry/exit is difficult unless you select the longer S model. C-FFMX. 463-248-1250 A trim wheel is located below your left thigh under the seat. 814-227-8049 Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. LUGGAGE POD One of Titans many options is this luggage pod that fits neatly under the fuselage and hinges at the rear. by IndySportPilot Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:44 pm. The kit has an estimated build time of 150 - 300 hours @*+b Cn'PpC1a>JIe7[xb0iL+TH7h'=u n] ? 0kG62L+-W Wvoxy!B=fk[Bl0X\MnA, By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The optional luggage pod offers little surface area to produce drag. The stall speed in landing configuration flying solo is 35 mph. The pilot was fatally injured and the airplane was substantially damaged. The Tornado also exhibits some of the best handling qualities to be found in light aviation. Power-on stalls simply dont occur (though deck angle is very steep). Aiding the efficient wing are large flaps that deflect downward to a sharp angle (about 40). If I stick with rotax I think the 582 is the right engine. The way the panel narrows at the bottom allows sufficient room for your legs though no Tornado will give you much room to move your legs around in flight. Cosmetic appearance, structural integrity, achievement of design goals, effectiveness of aerodynamics, ergonomics. He has fine-tuned the control surface with spades that bring very light roll inputs. However, this Tornado could clearly run much faster. Thanks to Bacon for his willingness to let me take his pride and joy aloft. Telephone: New FI.R.M. Tornado II Sport Two seats in tandem version, intended for the US homebuilt category. Your email address will not be published. For example, at 1000 feet I can glide 7000 feet at my best glide speed before touc. For a glider it determines the glide ratio, of distance travelled against loss of height. As flown, rear seat will be restricted to very light occupant or luggage. Posted February 16, 2023. How to calculate the Glide Ratio from Drag & Lift? They provide aerodynamic balance and reduce the effort needed to roll the airplane. Pros Tornado controls are responsive in all axes. Conversely, at 5,500 rpm with the prop pitched high and holding 75 to 80 mph I was able to keep the vertical speed indicator (VSI) climb pegged at an impressive 2,000 fpm. Where does this (supposedly) Gibson quote come from? Just get it stabilized and trimmed hands off in a glide in the configuration you want, in smooth air, engine idling, and note VS and TAS. Tail Number. Set up an eBay search and be patient. How is the glide ratio affected when converting a wheeled plane to floats? On December 3, 2017, at 1140 eastern standard time, an experimental, amateur-built Titan Tornado II D, N2200T, impacted terrain while on final approach for landing at Portage County Airport (POV), Ravenna, Ohio. Whats the grammar of "For those whose stories they are"? endobj Built with Rotax 912S engine and many accessories, payload decreases. A glider's glide ratio varies with airspeed, but there is a maximum value which is frequently quoted. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Rudder is factory built and ready for covering. TITAN TORNADO WANTED Want to buy a Titan Tornado fuselage. These aerodynamic surfaces lighten control feel by accentuating the input of the pilot. I had to put my right hand down near the NACA inlets to direct more air at me. Controls are generally close at hand though some have to be unusually placed. A single seat high wing pusher with full cantilevered wing and aluminum construction which qualifies as a Light Sport Aircraft. Grand Rapids EIS. and includes all required materials, components, and fasteners. Another way to think of this is to ask, how far did the glider travel forward for every foot What more would you need? No other negatives in this category. Titan Aircraft estimates build time for a standard Tornado at 150 to 300 hours. With just a little power and the same speed, the descent rate dropped to a more modest 500 fpm. Your email address will not be published. A large panel presented all the instruments you need in a light plane. Contact Roger Altman, - located Shippenville, PA 16254 United States Telephone: 814-227-8049 Posted February 17, 2023 Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser Recommend This Ad to a Friend Email Advertiser Save to Watchlist Report This Ad Pros The Tornado II 912 can have many features (as either Amateur-Built aircraft or proposed light-sport aircraft): trim, flaps, adjustable rudder pedals, controllable pitch prop and more. 200-250 Ml. Cons Sink rate is higher than average (though not surprising given the gross weight and short span/square area). by drseti Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:16 pm, Post Kit, partial, or complete build. ROTAX 912 Fitted with a green valve cover Rotax 912S, Roger Bacons Tornado has 100 hp at its disposal, enough for lively departures from terra firma and a 1,800-fpm climb rate. Values range from the Space Shuttle's 4 to 60 or more. Thanks for the info! Pros Inspiring design in many ways combines well with responsive handling. iCOM A22 radio. Climb rate is breathtaking at close to 2,000 fpm at max. Though you cant see this switch while flying, its movement is intuitive. The glide ratio has the same value as the lift ratio. Ignition Switch - OFF 5. Aluminum wings, fuselage and tail, welded steel structure, fiberglass nose pod and wheel fairings, composite landing gear, Lexan. The Tornado II is designed to a +6g / -4g load limit capability at 1,000 pounds gross weight. Posted February 22, 2023. In a glider, this is easy. My interaction with Bacons electric prop was better than a similar experience in the Sky Ranger. Ground roll somewhat longer if loaded to full gross. The airframe kit for the Tornado is $13,500. Telephone: The POH only gives the best glide distance in the clean condition. New carpet. But when an aileron is deflected upward, for example, its spade tips downward. What Is the Difference Between 'Man' And 'Son of Man' in Num 23:19? Glide Ratio = Horizontal Distance divided by the Change in Altitude. For more information, please see our Cons Youll want to make sure air vents bring in enough air in warm climates; greenhouse effect is noticeable. The Tornado has a tricycle undercarriage with a supplemental tailwheel castor, as the aircraft sits on its tail when unoccupied. Fortunately for Titan Aircraft and those who buy their aircraft, the speed range is only one of several good virtues of the design. Cons Snug interior for larger pilots/occupants (but see sidebar). New custom motor mount. Glide ratio usually varies little with vehicle loading . Just like any high thrustline pusher it wants to go nose down when you put the power to it and nose up when you pull the power back. How far they go forward versus how much they drop is the glide ratio. ). for high quality products, superior aircraft performance, First Titan isn't a confirmed name fortunately, and yeah hopefully Hasbro doesn't butcher 3A or the Rage ring too much. The Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight departed Winsted Municipal Airport (10D) at an unknown time. SEATING OR CARGO While seated in the front, Roger Bacon holds open the rear entry door in an invitation to place cargo or an occupant inside. Anyone have experience with a Titan Tornado? Im confident that if you backed off to 95 to 100 mph, your endurance would jump significantly. 1.3 Climb . Best glide ratio is the most optimal - the highest - one. Since space is at a premium inside a Tornado, heres a way to carry things youll need at your destination. not commonly found in comparably priced aircraft. How to follow the signal when reading the schematic? There're 410 aircraft made by Titan. 14:1 means 14 km of distance per 1 km of altitude. Found no other negatives. PLEASE CALL OR TEXT STEVE at 715-279-7492 for more details. 1 0 obj Made in the USA by an American-owned company; distributed by U.S.-owned company. I had a hangermate with a Titan Tornado. Plan on attending the Annual Sport Pilot Expo. The Tornado II is designed to By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Even with the potent Rotax 912S and all its related hardware plus controllable-pitch prop, Bacon estimates his Tornado has a 647-pound empty weight including the empty cargo pod. Go out at 8 am when things are dead calm, and just set up a glide and time it to go from 5000 ft to 4000 ft off the altimeter to get the VS, and convert IAS to TAS and carry on from there. PANEL GLARE While you have oodles of visibility from a Tornado, the use of a white panel causes reflection on the windscreen. Posted February 27, 2023, 2200 Jabiru TT622 PP571 New C.F.Prince prop,exhaust,GRT mini X A witness reported that as the airplane crossed over a hedge row, the nosed pitched up, and the airplane began to climb. The Tornado II incorporates materials and systems Most pilots find an excess of power to be valuable but 100 horses for 1,000 pounds seems overkill in my mind. by Ralph Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:08 pm, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. Pros A Tornado with a 100-hp Rotax 912S is a potent light plane with a fighter pilot look and feel. Glide Tornado- Glide Tornado Double Tornado- Double Tornado Mirage Claw- Mirage Claw Roller Defense- Roller Defense Universe Drift- Universal Drift The Tornados suspension, or lack thereof, made for a fairly rough ride on South Lakeland Airparks turf runway, suggesting this particular aircraft may be better suited to hard-surface runways. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Seats. 727-644-8078 8034602906 And where Bacon mounted his GPS, it tended to bump against my knee. Titan Aircraft offers a long list of options that will help you get rid of your tax refund. Very little input was required to maintain a set bank angle. The Tornado is efficient enough that rudder pressures were light and it seemed best to lead with the ailerons when making reversing maneuvers. [1][3], The Tornado 103 was named Ultralight Grand Champion at Sun 'n Fun 1994. Coated Inner Frame Under Floor. I know there are a lot of guesses and assumptions in the pilot community, often applied far too broadly even if they can be traced to some legitimate source, but I want some real data; e.g., what is the true effect of flaps 10? The outside of the trim wheel is your guide to its rather nonintuitive operation. 3.5-4.5 Gal./Hr. 4 0 obj glideratio= C L C D = C L C D0 + KC L (15) With this relation where the lift coe cient is a changing param-eter dependent on speed and altitude the glide performance can be determined for all possible scenarios. Required fields are marked *. Perversely, adding weight means that the best glide angle occurs at a faster speed. But it would be useful to know the values for both cases. Convert the TAS to Ft/Min, or the VS to knots, divide one into the other, and there's your glide ratio. The Titan Tornado is large family of cantilever high-wing, pusher configuration, tricycle gear-equipped kit aircraft manufactured by Titan Aircraft of Austinburg, Ohio, for amateur construction. All metal (and some fiberglass/Kevlar) aids longevity. Game:Hercules. In other words, gliding in still air at the respective best glide airspeeds, for . Titan Aircraft has achieved a range in the Tornado 912 that runs from a 120-mph cruise to a 35-mph stall (with best flaps), putting the design very close to the magic ratio. It has a 23.5 ft (7.2 m) wingspan. The glide ratio required to descend from your current position to the destination elevation. The laid-back, curvaceous seat with the control stick emerging through an opening is fetching. I didnt ask Bacon what he invested, but based on the information above, hes got well over $30,000 in his Tornado 912. Cookie Notice 430-490 lbs. Any suggestions? New carpet. 22 votes, 32 comments. Then use the table above to calculate the glide ratio you achieved at the respective speeds and see what speed yields the best glide. 2-5/16" Adjustable Bumper Hitch Coupler. We usually use airspeed and altitude instead. Many systems available means higher learning curve for a new pilot. How do you get out of a corner when plotting yourself into a corner. Posted February 17, 2023, 2017 ExperimentalAB Jabiru3300 Grand Rapids avionics 63.4hr/2000TBO Radio Txpdr ELT EW695/GW1319, Telephone: 5414960808 Little space for navigation aids like GPS unit. 6199408310 On the other hand, if an engine quits at low altitude, trying to get the propeller stopped might be too dangerous. Ready to Fly (No Paint) Two Place (Additonal Cost). During most of my flight in this Tornado, it seemed I needed to keep the nose a little higher than I naturally wanted to, the opposite of many ultralights Ive flown. Cabin Controls. I'm not a pilot. Unlike the Gull's wing, which is aircraft fabric-covered or optionally finished in sheet aluminium,[12] the Tornado's wing is stressed skin. Seats 2. Their expected effect on performance? Over the years, Titan Aircraft has made their Tornado a familiar aircraft seen at flight parks and airports around the nation. Measure and record speed and rate of descent. Weights*Empty: 250-360 lbs. Stabilator D - section is factory built and ready for AFT section assembly. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Reported construction time is 350 hours. Let the phugoid damp out until you are in a stabilized descent. During roll entry and exit my lack of familiarity with this particular aircraft caused me to not keep the ball centered. Treated 2"x 8" Floor Boards. *Weights and performance specifications are dependent on engine choice and other customer options and only represent a range of possibilities. Useful Load: 390-450 lbs. Is tail clearance an issue especially in flapless config? symbol for wavelength in physics. No wonder Titan has enjoyed great sales of this line of aircraft. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete). Looks like a fun little airplane, but I'm not sure about that name. These two design features combine to take the speedy Tornado down to genuine ultralight approach speeds. However, Bacons model is so well done, Titan Aircraft encouraged a test flight. It merely hesitated for a moment and then moved the proper way. However, being at idle, power off windmilling, or dead stick might be a significant consideration, but I will just lump those into "configuration". TITAN TORNADO 2 W/ ROTAX 912 $17,800 SOLD IN ONE DAY!! 855-248-4501 However, by applying the throttle smoothly and steadily, takeoff came without incident and certainly delivered a sensation of power. Bacon admits he put the air inlet a little too far aft. I suppose IAS along with GPS for true vertical might be the best bet. Titan Aircraft has achieved a range in the Tornado 912 that runs from a 120-mph cruise to a 35-mph stall (with best flaps), putting the design very close to the magic ratio. If equipped with a light enough engine the Tornado 103 could qualify as a US ultralight. Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties? Moving them slightly forward would improve their operation, he says. For a given aircraft configuration, the glide ratio primarily depends on airspeed at lower altitudes such as below 10,000 ft. Cons Shock absorption was quite firm, transmitted to your body directly; the Tornado seems better suited to hard-surface runways than bumpy turf. The term is calculated for any particular airspeed by measuring the lift generated, then dividing by the drag at that speed. Cons With spades (as flown), the controls may be too light for some pilots. or e-mail donzank@zanklites.com. Telephone: It's one of the most fun and capable light planes available. Brakes - Apply 4. Triumph Dragon is the confirmed name, not Trumph . The math looks like this: 1.5 nm * 6076.12 ft = 9114.18 ft Now that both the rise and run are in the same unit value (feet), the ratio can be calculated. <> Lights. endobj Nobody flies a light aircraft with a 100-hp Rotax 912 and comes away with a ho-hum response. The Tornado has a 20' wingspan, the initial weight was just under 400 lbs with a max flying weight of 750 lbs. Trim worked effectively with good control ratio. Lexan-covered cockpit demands some good air inlets. You'll also need to know your weight and the temperature and density of the air (OAT and PA will do). You can process this into a 'glide polar' -- which can then be processed into a drag polar for the aircraft. For example, if my hanglider has a glide ration of 7:1 (7 to 1), then for each foot of altitude lost I travel forward 7 feet. Almost everyone loves the sensation. It handles wind and short fields very well also.